The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 9th January 2017
  #301
Gear Maniac
 
BigSteak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yup!
Seriously debating ditching the Doepfer and the Super Power for more uZeus's even.
I'd love to see a happy ending kit completely filled with uZeus modules
1
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #302
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
In all seriousness, I did just picked up a pack of these knurled thumb screws today to see how well they would work with my rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #303
Gear Maniac
 
Strawberry's Avatar
oops
Old 9th January 2017
  #304
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
In all seriousness, I did just picked up a pack of these knurled thumb screws today to see how well they would work with my rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh wow I remember these from back in the past when I used to fit upgrades inside my old self built PCs...
Old 9th January 2017
  #305
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Any MPC fans? The new MPC X with 8 CV outs looks like a nice possibility for modular as well as a studio centerpiece. Pricey, but if you like the MPC workflow...
3
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #306
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
April isn't for a few months?

Obvious troll is obvious?

Well played, almost got me?
fell for it hook line and sinker
1
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #307
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The reason I asked this is because I'm trying to figure out how modular can fit with more traditional composition. Not just from my perspective but the whole canon of musical history. I learn so much much from classical composition but also modern composition - my main instrument is guitar but I have also taken up piano over the last couple of years. And I'm wondering how modular can fit into this? I'd say I'm more East Coast than West Coast in the sense of having a synthesizer I can easily manipulate to create the kind of bass or lead sounds I would like.

I sat down today and sculpted a bass sound I liked with the Omikron module then played around with Maths and some LFO and I just came back to the raw dual voice and this was all I needed. Then I added some piano and violin from Kontakt libraries and suddenly it took a different direction and became a more orchestral piece and the analogue bass didn't fit.

It doesn't always turn out like this obviously; sometimes it might be a more electronic composition or even guitar. I like to keep things open and get insight and naturally follow where the idea might go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Only you can figure out how all that applies to your music but I think a deep dive into the history of modular and the pioneers of electronic music is very enlightening and inspiring. At least it was for me. I've found that working with modular is almost the polar opposite of working in a modern DAW. I can write music on the modular and I can write music in a DAW but I haven't had much success in doing both at the same time. That may be a personal block on my part. I know people who use modular only for sound design and do all their writing on a DAW using modular samples. There's also the ES stuff that lets you use a PC as a giant CV generator. At the end of the day it's just a tool that either works for you or doesn't. There's no shortage of people deciding after 100s of HP that modular isn't for them and selling the whole shebang.
I really enjoyed reading your replies. I'm trying to figure out what modular means to me, as a sound design tool, a custom synthesizer in a Moog East Coast sense, or experimental Buchla West Coast approach. And it's all of these things. What first drew me to modular was being able to build my own custom synth but I'm learning it can be so much more. My time experimenting with modular is enjoyable, and in a scientific sense the physics of manipulating voltage is interesting in itself. Finding that parallel between a useful synthesis tool and experimental compositional (often directionless noodling) is where I want to get to and that space is different for everyone. The correlation between the history of classical, modernist and minimal music (e.g.Erik Satie, Phillip Glass, Brian Eno) also Jazz (Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock) is an important relationship to me.










1
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #308
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
This is looking interesting for Sequencing, Sampling companion to modular unless one already has or wants to keep sequencing and sampling within the case

Akai MPC X
Akai Professional MPC X Standalone Sampler and Sequencer | Sweetwater

4 Midi Outs + 8 CV/Gate Outs
This is exactly what I dropped everything and ran over here to post. I'm GASing SOOOOOOO hard for this!
2
Share
Old 9th January 2017
  #309
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
In all seriousness, I did just picked up a pack of these knurled thumb screws today to see how well they would work with my rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've got some I picked up on eBay a while back (WHY IS IT SO HARD TO INCLUDE SCREWS WHEN YOU SELL A MODULE!?) that are thumb screws but have a hexagonal orifice to stick your tool into. They seem to wiggle loose a lot for some reason.
Old 9th January 2017
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I respect your opinion, but I disagree in your statement that knowledge of theory has caused you to not be as creative. I hear this argument frequently in these types of discussions, mostly from people that have just a handful of knowledge of theory.

The truth of the matter is that no amount of knowledge of music theory is going to make a person less creative. In fact, I'd argue that people that have limited or no theory knowledge spend time wandering aimlessly, trying to find something that sounds good. That's not creative - it's stumbling onto something. Then suddenly, once they have learned a few rules from theory all of their "creativity" is gone. This too, is false. The lack of the "creative" sound they once found is only because their head is telling them to only play by the few rules of theory they happen to know. When you understand that the rules of theory are merely guidelines and can be broken while still making interesting musical phrases, then you'll understand that theory can't as people state, "make them less creative." It's their head telling them they _have to_ follow those rules - that's making them less creative.

And finally, comparing someone who hasn't made an album in what, 40 years to someone who's had all the technological advances of the last twenty years at their fingertips is a bit silly. I wonder what Miles would have or could have done if he had a modular synth. He forced Herbie Hancock to play a Rhodes - an instrument Herbie considered to be a toy at the time until he really spent some time on it per Miles' order. So he was certainly open to and inviting of new sounds. I also once heard a story about Miles where they were rehearsing and piano player played the wrong chord. Miles heard the wrong chord and instead of playing the notes he was supposed to play, played different notes which tied that "wrong chord" into the other musical elements that were expecting the "right chord." Now put that kind of recognition and ability to respond musically in order to correct things or make things sound good together and put it on a modular synth that's playing a few different voices, one being a random. I'll bet he could have absolutely owned a modular.
I like apples. F*ck you for liking oranges.
Old 9th January 2017
  #311
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
My AM Synths JP8 filter arrived and I connected to my Uzeus but the blue light started flashing. I disconnected all modules to make sure it wasn't drawing too much power but with just the JP8 connected the blue light is still flashing. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the ampage rating? I have my uZeus powering 9 other modules with no problem.

I have this 15V DC 1.2A power supply.

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/arte...top-uzeus.html
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #312
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
fell for it hook line and sinker
Who me?
Old 10th January 2017
  #313
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Who me?
haha, no me!
2
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #314
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
My AM Synths JP8 filter arrived and I connected to my Uzeus but the blue light started flashing. I disconnected all modules to make sure it wasn't drawing too much power but with just the JP8 connected the blue light is still flashing. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the ampage rating? I have my uZeus powering 9 other modules with no problem.

I have this 15V DC 1.2A power supply.

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/arte...top-uzeus.html
uZeus owner here. Never seen any of the lights flashing on one before. When they get overpowered, they just power down. Which blue light is flashing?

Make sure you've got the red stripe oriented correctly on the module itself. Also, try plugging in just the filter with no other modules attached to the uZeus.
Old 10th January 2017
  #315
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I like apples. F*ck you for liking oranges.
Oranges are too much of a pain to peel. Bananas on the other hand...
2
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #316
Lives for gear
 
justjools's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
uZeus owner here. Never seen any of the lights flashing on one before. When they get overpowered, they just power down. Which blue light is flashing?

Make sure you've got the red stripe oriented correctly on the module itself. Also, try plugging in just the filter with no other modules attached to the uZeus.
The first 5V LED flashes. I have plugged in the filter with no other modules and the cable can only be plugged in one way. I looked at the rating on modular and it is only 22mA less than half of Maths. This doesn't happen with any of the other 9 modules I have so maybe a fault with the module.
Old 10th January 2017
  #317
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Not the sexiest module I've ever bought, but I got this in today:



Mode A is a bidirectional slew limiter and mode B only applies the slew when it's coming back down. Had a lot of fun a few minutes ago plugging a square LFO into this, sending it into the BHWR, the triangle from the same LFO going into the other input of the BHWR, and then the output going to the cutoff control of a filter. Like some kinda grossed-out space wobble.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #318
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
The first 5V LED flashes. I have plugged in the filter with no other modules and the cable can only be plugged in one way. I looked at the rating on modular and it is only 22mA less than half of Maths. This doesn't happen with any of the other 9 modules I have so maybe a fault with the module.
Are you sure the plug on the module is correct? Is the red stripe on the cable actually corresponding to something on the pcb that says -12v or red stripe? Sometimes manufacturers get it backwards - not often, but always check to make sure red corresponds to -12 on the pcb.
Old 10th January 2017
  #319
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
This is looking interesting for Sequencing, Sampling companion to modular unless one already has or wants to keep sequencing and sampling within the case

Akai MPC X
Akai Professional MPC X Standalone Sampler and Sequencer | Sweetwater

4 Midi Outs + 8 CV/Gate Outs
I've been in the market for a mcp2k replacement for almost a year now. Just got done watching the new videos and at this point it's just a question of the live or the x. I actually like the form factor of the live better, too bad it doest have the cv outs but I've got the BSP for that assuming I can get a tight midi sync between the 2. OTOH go for broke, get the x, toss the laptop and BSP out of the workflow entirely? I'm super excited for NAMM
2
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #320
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
The first 5V LED flashes. I have plugged in the filter with no other modules and the cable can only be plugged in one way. I looked at the rating on modular and it is only 22mA less than half of Maths. This doesn't happen with any of the other 9 modules I have so maybe a fault with the module.
I'm showing on Modular Grid that this module doesn't even draw current on the +5v rail. I'm gonna say check again to make sure the power is correct.

Also, I know AMSynths does both DIY and sells completed modules. Did you buy yours from them completed, or was it secondhand? I've had it happen on a DIY module I've purchased where the shroud was on backward so the only way you could power it was backward, so it has to remain in my Doepfer rack so that I can flip the power supply around. If I plug it in the 'right' way, I get no power to that whole rack.
Old 10th January 2017
  #321
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I've been in the market for a mcp2k replacement for almost a year now. Just got done watching the new videos and at this point it's just a question of the live or the x. I actually like the form factor of the live better, too bad it doest have the cv outs but I've got the BSP for that assuming I can get a tight midi sync between the 2. OTOH go for broke, get the x, toss the laptop and BSP out of the workflow entirely? I'm super excited for NAMM
If that MPC X thing only had a separate clock / reset output or DIN sync ... With just 8 3.5mm connectors, you could probably do the same level of sequencing with Yarns and a Live.
Old 10th January 2017
  #322
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
The correlation between the history of classical, modernist and minimal music (e.g.Erik Satie, Phillip Glass, Brian Eno) also Jazz (Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock) is an important relationship to me.
Here's a rabbit hole for you if you want https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...mentaries.html
Old 10th January 2017
  #323
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyham View Post
haha, no me!
Yeah, he had me for half a second I suppose, but I am just too cynical at heart to believe anything straightaway these days...
Old 10th January 2017
  #324
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yeah, he had me for half a second I suppose, but I am just too cynical at heart to believe anything straightaway these days...
He had me for about two seconds, but then again I remember the audiophile wizards:



8
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #325
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar


1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #326
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I have the AMSynths JP8 filter and it's never given me any problems, usually digital modules are the ones that catch me off guard or mess up my system with their weird power specs..
Old 10th January 2017
  #327
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've had it happen on a DIY module I've purchased where the shroud was on backward so the only way you could power it was backward, so it has to remain in my Doepfer rack so that I can flip the power supply around. If I plug it in the 'right' way, I get no power to that whole rack.
Agree with Derp & ImNotDedyet.

@justjools I once posted a picture on muffwiggler of a PCB id just completed and some guy got stuck into me that i never used a power connection with shroud/fencing around.

I explained to him that i didn't like that design because you are basically trusting that everybody makes their cables correctly, which in reality isn't true, when i make cables myself i still take no notice of the orientation of the connectors, i use the -12 and redstrip as my guide.

So when i build something i have just the 10 pins with no shroud/fencing so it forces the user to actually take some notice of what he is doing, make a small effort to find the -12v and make sure the red is connected to that.

and again I'm probably guessing that Derp is correct that the Jp8 is secondhand and possibly somebodys DIY ? as I've not seen JP8's in AM shop for sometime.

Its no secret i built a JP8 that just doesn't work, a few years later i'm still scratching my head as to what is wrong with it.
1
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #328
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Out of interest for people who don't do DIY this is a picture of the JP8 i built.

layman's terms if you look where you plug your power cable in you can see 2 black components either side these are called Ferrite bead they attenuate high frequency/electronic noise, on the left of the left hand Ferrite bead is a resistor (blue strippey thing they resist current/slow the flow).
Directly in front of the power are 2 caramel coloured ceramic capacitors then in front of them are two black barrel looking electrolytic capacitors, capacitors work a bit like a battery in that they hold electricity but at a given time they'll suddenly unleash it (you can imagine thats how you'd get a LED to flash on and off)
To the left of them is a black transistor, transistors are like a gate that will open/shut at certain voltages (Transistors can also be configured to work as Op-amps)
In that small area there is not any Diodes, Diodes act like non return valves only letting electricity flow one way.
Infact i can't see any Diodes on the whole board unless one is out of site/obscured by another component.
Therefore this board has no protection if you plug your power connector in the wrong way.
If you have a JP8 with the same PCB revision and plug in your power the wrong way then you have fried something.



Last edited by cane creek; 10th January 2017 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10th January 2017
  #329
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Tandberg 45 years old (Made in Norway), I've not used it in years yet it worked perfectly first go yesterday.
I bought it off a lady on Ebay some years back she said it was her fathers pride and joy,
he would get it out every sunday clean it and then listen to it, i promised her it was going to a good home.
Planning to record Modular patches on it, although rather than straight to tape
maybe record to DAW first then to tape would be a safer option, we'll see.

4
Share
Old 10th January 2017
  #330
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Out of interest for people who don't do DIY this is a picture of the JP8 i built.

layman's terms if you look where you plug your power cable in you can see 2 black components either side these are called Ferrite bead they attenuate high frequency/electronic noise, on the left of the left hand Ferrite bead is a resistor (blue strippey thing they resist current/slow the flow).
Directly in front of the power are 2 caramel coloured ceramic capacitors then in front of them are two black barrel looking electrolytic capacitors, capacitors work a bit like a battery in that they hold electricity but at a given time they'll suddenly unleash it (you can imagine thats how you'd get a LED to flash on and off)
To the left of them is a black transistor, transistors are like a gate that will open/shut at certain voltages (Transistors can also be configured to work as Op-amps)
In that small area there is not any Diodes, Diodes act like non return valves only letting electricity flow one way.
Infact i can't see any Diodes on the whole board unless one is out of site/obscured by another component.
Therefore this board has no protection if you plug your power connector in the wrong way.
If you have a JP8 with the same PCB revision and plug in your power the wrong way then you have fried something.


Out of curiosity, what kind of filter is in a Jupiter 8? Is it a transistor ladder type thing? I don't DIY but I am interested in circuit designs and have general understanding of resistors, caps, diodes and basic components. I like understanding what's going on even if I can't or wouldn't want to build it.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump