The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm pretty jelly. I'll have money for one next tuesday, but I'm pretty sure they'll be sold out everywhere and I'll have to wait for the 2nd batch (end of june)
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

I was sampling some speech from an old film and totally messing it up, making it stutter, slow, backwards, howl like a monster etc etc, but then when I sampled some old synth sounds from a 50's movie and messed with the morph and gene size etc I was able to get this beautiful sounding lo fi loop of an ancient sounding synth, sounds like something the lo fi Junky tries hard to do but never quite gets there, amazing module truly an award winner if there were such a thing. lately I have been totally over standard oscillators and the whole subtractive synth with filtering etc, there's only so far you can with all that sometimes, so I got rid of a bunch of them and decided I wanted a few things that make noises that are not limited by a handful of waveforms, these things like Morphagene turn anything you can think of into an osc or sound generation device.. this is really where the fun is with euro, sampling and sample mangling..
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oi oi savaloy!

This is a very different style than my normal stuff. I guess you call this a Drone type piece...

100% Live. 1 take. No post processing at all. Only effect is the Eventide Space (Darkmatter) at the end of the chain before recording.

All done on the modular.

Initial sounds are the Braids supersaw of all things, then joined by the Akemie's Castle and then the Mysteron near the end.
Minimal sequencing by the AD1 and modulation from the Voltage Block and Batumi. Filter on the Braids was the SE 4075 arp 2600 and filter on the Mysteron was the Division 6 SEM filter.

Would love to hear some feedback.

Peace.

and @genshi...your music is much appreciated. Keep 'em coming brother.

And more friggin Dulcimer please!
Old 28th April 2017

...has me gassing a bit...
Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
wow are you kidding me, morphagene is just incredible...sooooo soooo soooo cool, it's so immediate an idiot like me can get samples in this thing in 2 seconds and start having a ball, anyone who has one and ears, patch in the gate or envelope out of ears for insane crazy fun...this is going to be on everything I do for a while..just wow..!!
I've been wanting to get Ears as well. What do you find best to patch it into with Morphagene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oi oi savaloy!

This is a very different style than my normal stuff. I guess you call this a Drone type piece...

100% Live. 1 take. No post processing at all. Only effect is the Eventide Space (Darkmatter) at the end of the chain before recording.

All done on the modular.

Initial sounds are the Braids supersaw of all things, then joined by the Akemie's Castle and then the Mysteron near the end.
Minimal sequencing by the AD1 and modulation from the Voltage Block and Batumi. Filter on the Braids was the SE 4075 arp 2600 and filter on the Mysteron was the Division 6 SEM filter.

Peace.

Thanks for that. And cool drone piece!
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

I found an old cheap Radio Shack dynamic mic in a box the other day, and since it has a TS output I decided to run it through the ESP of the MS-20 Mini. I couldn't resist doing this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTaei4HA...recycledcities.

Now I really want to pick up Ears, but I think I'm going to get the Bastl Cinnamon or Xaoc Belgrad tomorrow (or both, but I'm trying to be somewhat fiscally responsible).
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

I've just been using the gate and envelope out of ears to start splices etc, it's great it's just like using a keyboard key..
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
lately I have been totally over standard oscillators and the whole subtractive synth with filtering etc, there's only so far you can with all that sometimes
Have you been doing any kind of west-coast oscillator stuff? Osc into waveshaper/folders sans filter? You can get some wonderful timbres that way as well.

Quote:
[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oi oi savaloy!

All done on the modular.

Peace.

Great stuff there man. Really enjoyed that, but I'm a drone digger. Dark and emotive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
I've been wanting to get Ears as well. What do you find best to patch it into with Morphagene?

I don't have a Morphagene, but if I did have one and Ears, and knowing what you just got for your birthday, I think that would be an excellent combo!

I love using Ears as just an instrument level pre for my Rhodes to get the Rhodes into my modular.

I'd also really like to play with using the contact mic into spring reverb into something like Rings. I think that could be interesting.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oi oi savaloy!

All done on the modular.

Peace.

Braids is absolutely fantastic, it's a real gem of a module imo, it can be anything you want almost, if it could sample I'd have a case full of them, I didn't use mine for the longest time but then once I did and started to realise the potential of this thing I was like oh yeah this is a keeper.. I love these modules that can be anything, one day it's a pounding snare, next day it's doing a FM bell like tone, next day super saw, next vocoder type stuff, really great module that should top of everyone's list.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Have you been doing any kind of west-coast oscillator stuff? Osc into waveshaper/folders sans filter? You can get some wonderful timbres that way as well.
No but I will probably invest in a wavefolder at some point and have a play around. I thought I would use and enjoy the Verbos harmonic oscillator like that but it turned out I just could not get on with that module or it's sound, in the end I just let it go to someone else and I moved onto concentrating on sampling.

I've been obsessed about getting something happening with sampling in my modular for a year now and I've finally turned a corner with the Macbook and Morphagene. Now that Morphagene is in my system I can readjust my next 3 modules I want to..

Synthrotek MIDI to CV gate..on route as we speak
Tonestar 8106
Cyclonix Shapeshifter

both those last two module are big purchases and will be going into two large holes in my mantis case where I can get real hands on with them both..
Old 28th April 2017
ADDAC System new modules:
- a bunch of meters, also available as DIY (via Thonk)
- the Mel9 a collaboration with Electro Harmonix - it's an effects processor offering some Mellotron characters
- a Gotharman designed bandpass filter with a soviet minitiature tube
- a fully CV-able high end stereo mixer with all bells and whistles
Old 28th April 2017
Sequencer from Winter Modular: it has nifty things such as scalable probabillity built in:

Another sequencer, this one 8 steps CV-able, from Ginko:

And a wild 2x 16 band filterbank called Fumana, and a dual random module with crossmodulation options called Sapèl from Frap.Tools:

hope you like these videos
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Everyone lamenting the American deep south just didn't go far enough! Eventually "the South" gives way to the banana republic of Miami. We've got our hipster woes pero whatever; in a city this size there's a little bit of everything (except a decent synth shop or good Italian food apparently).
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No but I will probably invest in a wavefolder at some point and have a play around. I thought I would use and enjoy the Verbos harmonic oscillator like that but it turned out I just could not get on with that module or it's sound, in the end I just let it go to someone else and I moved onto concentrating on sampling.

I've been obsessed about getting something happening with sampling in my modular for a year now and I've finally turned a corner with the Macbook and Morphagene. Now that Morphagene is in my system I can readjust my next 3 modules I want to..

Synthrotek MIDI to CV gate..on route as we speak
Tonestar 8106
Cyclonix Shapeshifter

both those last two module are big purchases and will be going into two large holes in my mantis case where I can get real hands on with them both..
I'm glad you found something for sampling. You've had a happy pants for that for a while.

When you do decide to get a wavefolder/shaper, Topobrillo's Triple Wave Folder, Intellijel's uFold and SSF's UltraFold are good, small, cheaper options that sound pretty good. I also really like the Elby/Ian Fritz 5 Pulser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
And a wild 2x 16 band filterbank called Fumana, and a dual random module with crossmodulation options called Sapèl from Frap.Tools:

hope you like these videos
That Fumana looks to be the business. Hope it's not too expensive, although not sure I'd bite on it from a size perspective.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post

Great stuff there man. Really enjoyed that, but I'm a drone digger. Dark and emotive though.

Quote:
Braids is absolutely fantastic, it's a real gem of a module imo, it can be anything you want almost, if it could sample I'd have a case full of them, I didn't use mine for the longest time but then once I did and started to realise the potential of this thing I was like oh yeah this is a keeper.. I love these modules that can be anything, one day it's a pounding snare, next day it's doing a FM bell like tone, next day super saw, next vocoder type stuff, really great module that should top of everyone's list.

Thanks for the kind words chaps! Appreciate the ears.

update:
I was just asked by a modular synth meet organizer to perform some version of that track live at their next meet! Now to make it last longer than 5 mins and segway into something else???
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

I know this isn't modular but.......

Brexit, Donald Trump and now Reason supporting VSTs, all in my lifetime, Amazing.

And now back on the subject, can't wait to get my mitts on a morphogene and fids is just fueling the gas.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post

Brexit, Donald Trump and now Reason supporting VSTs, all in my lifetime, Amazing.

And now back on the subject, can't wait to get my mitts on a morphogene and fids is just fueling the gas.
Yes I got an email today about Reason supporting VSTs and I though oh ok... that' s interesting. They went from... we won't support daw-type-audio, we are not a daw, etc... to adding typical daw midi/audio features and now VST. I guess it's adapt or die.

So anyway, with the CV stuff and VST support I thought maybe this is the year I try reason, I thought I had an older version of it (for a cheap upgrade to Reason 9) but I haven't. Damn
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I remember this band from Tampa called "Assuck". They were the real deal as far as that music went. My friends played with them in St. Pete one time. When all the frat guys started moshing me and my buddies went out to the van and got high. Not my thing indeed...
I saw Assuck in NYC. They were really good in that grimecore kind of way. I even bought their record although I think I've listened to it maybe twice. Punk and hardcore is all about the live experience to me. Not something I really put on to listen too but the energy at shows can be off the charts. Not that I've been to a show in years but I spend a lot of times at all ages punk and hardcore shows in NY and DC throughout my youth.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Brexit, Donald Trump and now Reason supporting VSTs
Kinda feel bad for the people who bought all those rack extensions (many of which costing more than native) and are now stuck with single platform plugins. I guess it's not that different than Protools and TDM.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

This looks fun. Unfortunately, they'll probably run you a gazillion dollars if you could ever find one.

Moog Drummer From Another Mother (Sneak Preview) – Synthtopia
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
I don’t expect it to replace my old Blofeld KB in wavetable terms but if it’s more immediate then all the better.
Sounds like you want a Piston Honda. The number of waveforms on that beast is ungodly. Or NW1 if you just want that glassy Waldorf sound. NW1 only has 100 wavetables on it, but the ability to record your own wavetables is REALLY cool.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
what are you guys using for monitors for your modular. The system I'm planning is for home wiggle sessions, so won't be in a studio setup. Although will have a record path. Don't quite have genelec money, maybe adams.
I've been loving my Equator D5's since I got them. I bought them back when they were $300 a pair, but they get loads of praise in other parts of GS. Felt like a huge upgrade from my old Behringer Truths.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
This looks fun. Unfortunately, they'll probably run you a gazillion dollars if you could ever find one.

Moog Drummer From Another Mother (Sneak Preview) – Synthtopia
I just don't get this kind of thing, they ask for paying invites to come and pay $1500 to build a module, why not just build them for the public the demand is huge for a drum machine from Moog..?
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Bastl Cinnamon
Awesome filter, dude! No complaints about that one here.
Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
Thanks for that the both of you. I have always been "thin-skinned" when it comes to my music, but had tried to be better about that... but lately, it's been like tissue paper for some reason! Just questioning what I am doing, etc.Not me! I'm getting harder, angrier, more apocolyptic... and I just turned 53!
You do great videos man, and play great shows. If you are going to put yourself out there you are bound to attract attention both negative and positive. It may sound juvenile but you just can't listen to the haters if you want to get anywhere in art. They are bullies, just ignore them. Not to psychoanalyze, but perhaps some of the sensitivity stems from the "questioning what you are doing". If you're bleeding, the sharks can smell it from across the ocean and will go into a feeding frenzy every time. You've been a musician all your life like most of us and sometimes it is hard to reconcile the time and effort with the return when thinking in practical terms, as us oldies are so prone to thinking that way. Just keep going and as previously stated fvck the haters.

The other thing is consider your audience. No offense to the fine folks on this thread, who are by and large my favorite people to spend time with (online or irl), but Gearslutz is mostly a cesspool of humanity, full of apologist haters and bitter never-will-be's that can't get over themselves long enough to be civil or even honest. The internet as a whole isn't much better...I took down a video of my daughter playing my OP-1 because of thumbs down and dumba$$ hater comments, so I feel you man.

Quote:
@slaughtrhaus the irony of Portland is, they're so desperate to be "original and hip" that they can't even decide on the city nickname! Unlike most cities that have a nickname or slogan, like where I grew up in San Diego "America's Finest City" or the last 20 years I spent in the "City of Angels" (Los Angeles obviously) Portland is known as "Rose City" and "Stumptown" and "Bridgetown" and "Rip City" and for a brief moment "Little Beirut" (because of all the anarchist protestors.)
...says the transplant...just kidding man, you are one of the good ones. And there might not be a statute of limitations on transplant status so I probably shouldn't throw that word around too much. I've never once used a nickname for Portland but apparently it matters to some-

I keep linking these vids because my friend produced them. check out his other vids they are funny. They are tongue-in-cheek if it wasn't obvious, just funny how they fit the recent discussion. When I moved here in '99 Portland was chill and slow. There was little to no traffic during off hours, there were old buildings with character. There were small divey indie-rock clubs where anyone could play easily, and folks came out. There was a vibe and a culture that is simply gone now. I could give a fvck what this place calls itself now. At this point I stay because my kids are settled and pot is legal, otherwise I would move to NYC and be done with it. Seriously, it's the only place left in the US worth living IMO, and costs of living aren't so incomparable at this point either. This is a big turn around from my usual "I love Portland" routine, it's been a long time coming with the fake big city vibe with no real culture left to back it up.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Unfortunately, they'll probably run you a gazillion dollars if you could ever find one.
Very unfortunate, especially because i really like what i am hearing.

Quote:
I just don't get this kind of thing, they ask for paying invites to come and pay $1500 to build a module, why not just build them for the public the demand is huge for a drum machine from Moog..?
May be they do like they did with the Werkstatt and release it (after soem lengthy discussions) afterwards to the public.

One reason for it could be that its supposed to help funding Moogfest. Who knows.
Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
Reason supporting VSTs, all in my lifetime, Amazing.
Never thought I'd see it in a million years. Wonders never cease. Been using Reason since 2.5 was released, it is my favorite DAW by far. The crazy thing is I just upgraded to 9 yesterday with no knowledge of this coming. I have been using a DAW more and more lately for collaborative projects with a buddy in Texas, between us we have a pretty nice collection of VST's that neither of us ever get around to using because Rewire is a pain in my a$$. No more multiple DAWs! Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
They went from... we won't support daw-type-audio, we are not a daw, etc... to adding typical daw midi/audio features and now VST. I guess it's adapt or die.
I heard Propellerhead merged or got bought by some venture capital firm. If this is true, I am guessing the new people saw the lack of VST support as a real limitation to expanding the user base and saw it as a no-brainer addition. Also, I imagine Propellerhead have been working on it themselves for a long time but kept it quiet to avoid the mass of questions and attention. Just guessing here really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Kinda feel bad for the people who bought all those rack extensions (many of which costing more than native) and are now stuck with single platform plugins. I guess it's not that different than Protools and TDM.
I've only ever bought a couple rack extensions, and they have been recent purchases, so maybe I just don't get it. But I don't think you should feel bad for them. Rack extensions are awesome, first of all. Second, anyone bitter over this (not you or anyone here ofc- my buddy runs a Reason FB group full of crazy comments today) has there perspective all wonked out. A feature has been ADDED, giving exponential growth to the product in terms of capability, and people are crying. "I spent all this money when I could waited and used my pirate-bayed Waves stuff? WAAAA" They could have used it anyway with Rewire, and now they don't have to. They knew what they signed up for when they paid for stuff that was only ever going to work on one platform, it's petty and complainy first-world sh1t, crying in their ice cream like my 6-year-old daughter. Sometimes there just aren't enough facepalms...
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not $1500 to build the module. You essentially get what a VIP ticket to the festival costs, which is $500, in addition to the building of the module. So, it's about $1K to add the engineering/build. Considering the cost of Moog synths, the fact that this may be a limited edition, and the fact you get to actually converse and ask questions of Moog engineers, it's not a bad price.

Release to the public would slightly devalue the Engineer deal IMO.

I really think you'd have to be someone "into" building these types of things to see the value.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound that great to me. They'd be better off releasing a better sounding/functionality drum machine if they really wanted a contender in the drum machine world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
May be they do like they did with the Werkstatt and release it (after soem lengthy discussions) afterwards to the public.

One reason for it could be that its supposed to help funding Moogfest. Who knows.
They didn't release the Brother From Another Mother last year, so it may be a coin flip whether they actually release it or not.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I've only ever bought a couple rack extensions, and they have been recent purchases, so maybe I just don't get it. But I don't think you should feel bad for them. Rack extensions are awesome, first of all. Second, anyone bitter over this (not you or anyone here ofc- my buddy runs a Reason FB group full of crazy comments today) has there perspective all wonked out. A feature has been ADDED..
I'm the other way around. I used Reason up to 2.5. It just got too annoying to open a separate tool just to edit audio so I went to Logic 7 and have been there ever since. Lately I've been getting a little leery of Apple's "pro" lines though (stop taking away all the ports *ahem*) let alone having my DAW supported by an iPhone company and this really brings Reason back as a possible contender. Cause there is no way I would give up my native plugins at this point.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Morphagene owners and people with it on their wishlists: Any of you started with a Phonogene? My understanding is that the only differences are that Morphagene supports stereo, has SD card support, and runs at a higher fidelity. Just curious if there's anything significant I'm missing there and if it'd be worth it to upgrade. Super happy with my Phonogene, but if a Morphagene could make me super happier... I'd love some input from someone that has/had a Phonogene and own/is looking at a Morhpagene.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search