The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th April 2017
This module is called "Tuesday"

description of algos and from their website:
Quote:
Being a big fan of Arguru Saiko and his genius in defining a genre by algorithm, started the design thinking for procedural sequencing. A module that would create melodies in different moods and styles based on algorithms, because all music is math.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
What sample rate and bit rate can it support - do you know? For instance, if I record something at 48k and 24-bit, (or higher) does the One downsample it its max resolution?
From the manual
Quote:
ONE plays any mono WAV format file with a bit depth of 16 or 24 bits and a sample rate from 8 to 96 kHz. The native rates supported by ONE are 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz and these can be correctly quantized to the Western 12 tone scale. Other rates will use 48k as their time base and be
pitched up or down accordingly
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Alright keystep it is then, that was I don't need the midi interface right? Just the keyboard, along with a midi/gate cv eurorack mod and I'll be good to go?
Both of the Arturia devices talk CV and can act as a simple bridge between your computer and your rack.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
This module is called "Tuesday"

description of algos and from their website:
Already have one in route.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

^ Hardly a day goes by that I don't add another module to my wish list.

(I can quit anytime I like, really, I can)
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
^ Hardly a day goes by that I don't add another module to my wish list.

(I can quit anytime I like, really, I can)
I just finished catching up from page 50, and now have 23 tabs opens as module wishlist. And I haven't bought my case yet.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
From the manual
Thanks.

Guess I could have looked it up myself. Consider me lazy.

I'm a bit surprised it goes up to 96k though. Impressive!
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
just imagine with two cards and a blending mixer like the WMD blender, you could mix two tracks together like a DJ.. pump that sh it through your modular, tempo matched of course..endless fun..

Apparently you're not the only one enjoying it. PerfectCircuit is out of stock, and they have four-packs as one of the options. Don't think I've ever seen a multipack of a module before that was geared toward the buyer and not resellers.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Audio damage Errorbox
Dude dude dude! If you're looking at bit/sample manglers, you owe it to yourself to look at one of these:

The Biscuit was the best bit crusher I ever had, but this is a damn close second. You can't turn bits on and off like you can on the Biscuit, but having sixteen different sample mangling algorithms makes up for it and then some. I know Doepfer is usually the king of utilities and basic modules, but this is one that I think they outdid the competition.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
People I know say 'you have a studio in your house and play all kinds of instruments.. how come we never hear any of your music?'

My answer 'you wouldn't like it'..

Them: 'but maybe...'

Me: no.. you wouldn't like it.

There's something about musicians.. they hit 40 and want to don a Hawaiian shirt and go play 'mustang sally' at a crappy bar. I still like industrial.. and punk.. and metal.
Same. Though I'm terrified of what my midlife crisis is going to be like. My dad bought a hang glider and then a plane for his midlife crisis. If that's what he did, then anything's possible. I might even start a bluegrass techno band.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
My town has died. My culture has died. It's cool to like the most low-hanging worst sh1t ever created while simultaneously pretending to understand higher art. I'm gonna go make myself throw up and cry in the shower, then move to some podunk flyover sh1thole and open a vinyl store.
Yet another way that Portland and Austin are alike. I can't even call that place home anymore, it's gotten so awful.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

Guess I could have looked it up myself. Consider me lazy.

I'm a bit surprised it goes up to 96k though. Impressive!
I literally have a copy of the manual on my pc desktop since I've been ripping samples for the thing since I got it. It is picky about headers in the .wav files. I had to use audacity to clean out the crap Logic puts in the headers.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I moved from Jacksonville, FL
I know it's not your thing, but is it true that the death metal scene is as intense as Tampa's? Being into industrial, I've found that most metalheads end up liking industrial if they ever actually hear it, and I used to open for metal bands for just that reason.

Though speaking of metalhead appeal, I'll never forget when at this prissy goth club in Austin, a mosh pit was started. ...to Front Line Assembly. Half the crowd was dancing, other half was moshing, dancers kept getting thrown in the pit, moshers get tossed in with the dancers. It was primal, and perfect in every way. Like some ritual to a god that only exists on the stage, and the dancefloor was his temple.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Is there not a basic DJ-style crossfader that works via CV to mix any two sources? I thought I had seen one somewhere.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there not a basic DJ-style crossfader that works via CV to mix any two sources? I thought I had seen one somewhere.
Not exactly a fader but if you can deal with a knob there's this:

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/xfade
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

The Portlandification of Austin has been out of hand for a while. It's lame, in an otherwise amazing town.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Not exactly a fader but if you can deal with a knob there's this:

https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/xfade
I'd prefer a wide and somewhat sticky fader with a gradual slope, but knobs are fine (I started out on Urei rotary mixers (1620)), especially if that's all there is.

Maybe I'll try to make one if it doesn't exist. Or at least hack something like this.

Hmmm.

Thanks for the suggestion, in any case.
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yet another way that Portland and Austin are alike. I can't even call that place home anymore, it's gotten so awful.
Ugh. Crackerbox studios going up everywhere. They literally tore down a century-old church to put up square ugly condos in my old hood.

Quote:
I know it's not your thing, but is it true that the death metal scene is as intense as Tampa's? Being into industrial, I've found that most metalheads end up liking industrial if they ever actually hear it, and I used to open for metal bands for just that reason. .
The metal scene in Jacksonville was never "death" while I lived there. It was a tragic mix of old mullets playing sh1tty 80's hair music like Poison and Dokken and taking it seriously, or young reds trying to remake Lynyrd Skynryd songs but with GRRRR and RRRRRUUUUHHH parts. Said with straight face, totally serious-"We're Crooked Cross, we moved here from Waycross, Georgia to Make it." I remember this band from Tampa called "Assuck". They were the real deal as far as that music went. My friends played with them in St. Pete one time. When all the frat guys started moshing me and my buddies went out to the van and got high. Not my thing indeed...

The rap metal scene blew up there soon before we left Jax. My buddy kicked Fred Durst out of his band because he wanted them to wear "outfits" and do rap metal instead of hardcore punk. After throwing him out they went on to form a really successful hardcore band that toured Europe, etc. Not long after Fred left that band the same guy who recorded my band's first album recorded the demo that got Limp Bizkit signed to Interscope or whatever. A little part of me died that day...

Quote:
The Portlandification of Austin has been out of hand for a while. It's lame, in an otherwise amazing town.
Nah you have it backwards, Austin was weird way before Portland-
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Sometimes you have to take a step backward or suffer through some non-forward momentum to get over the hump and get some forward momentum again. Don't beat yourself up.

I used to struggle also with confusion and letdown when musical things I made didn't get the social acceptance I thought they would. So I've stopped having any expectations when I post something. It seems to help in the emotional downturns and feelings of whether it's worth it. In the end, I make what I make because I enjoy it and I find something interesting about it. If others don't, well, I can't compare that.

Quote:
Frick the haters. Frick them in their donkeyholes. The stuff I post gets very few views and a whole lot of downvotes, but that's okay because I'm not doing it for them. I'm doing it for me, and if anyone else happens to be interested in what I'm doing, then that's cool, too. If not, it's not my problem. And this is coming from a VERY thin-skinned individual. You've just got to remind yourself that you're doing this for you in the long run.
Thanks for that the both of you. I have always been "thin-skinned" when it comes to my music, but had tried to be better about that... but lately, it's been like tissue paper for some reason! Just questioning what I am doing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
People I know say 'you have a studio in your house and play all kinds of instruments.. how come we never hear any of your music?'

My answer 'you wouldn't like it'..

Them: 'but maybe...'

Me: no.. you wouldn't like it.

There's something about musicians.. they hit 40 and want to don a Hawaiian shirt and go play 'mustang sally' at a crappy bar. I still like industrial.. and punk.. and metal.

Quote:
Same. Even in Portland-everyone who doesn't live here thinks it's so frickin hip- too bad most dudes my age all want to start alt-country or 60s/70s/80s cover bands to satiate microbrew-swilling yuppies that wish they didn't spend 600k on a 2-bedroom hovel and were happier where they came from. I still like electronic space rock, post rock and shoegazer. A couple weeks ago, someone in line at the merch booth at Radiohead said (without a bit of irony in her voice)-

"These shirts are way cheaper than Taylor Swift".

My town has died. My culture has died. It's cool to like the most low-hanging worst sh1t ever created while simultaneously pretending to understand higher art. I'm gonna go make myself throw up and cry in the shower, then move to some podunk flyover sh1thole and open a vinyl store.

/end rant, whew!
Not me! I'm getting harder, angrier, more apocolyptic... and I just turned 53!
@slaughtrhaus the irony of Portland is, they're so desperate to be "original and hip" that they can't even decide on the city nickname! Unlike most cities that have a nickname or slogan, like where I grew up in San Diego "America's Finest City" or the last 20 years I spent in the "City of Angels" (Los Angeles obviously) Portland is known as "Rose City" and "Stumptown" and "Bridgetown" and "Rip City" and for a brief moment "Little Beirut" (because of all the anarchist protestors.)
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks. I can envisage a Doepfer beauty case expander for this for more mod/fx/clock duties, possibly another power lunch to similarly complement my MS-20, but those are discussions for 2018 :D :D :D

It’s actually a sight bigger than I expected, is that Power Lunch. But the form is gorgeous. Always wanted my own little suitcase synth  And yes, with Mom 32 it’s something like 3 oscs, 2 envs, 1 lfo, 1 varied modulation source, 3 filters, 4 vcas etc. I don’t expect it to replace my old Blofeld KB in wavetable terms but if it’s more immediate then all the better.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Maniac

I would echo the sentiments about your vids. They really turned me on to the Mother 32, but also – you are saving us Antipodeans from using Ebay/webshops as a way of trying out rarer gear 

With respect to hipsterisation of urban areas... being ‘hip’ is just the human need to reach out to others, be recognised, but through the lens of conspicuous consumption. Identity is elusive and not any one characteristic, including your economic activity expresses it. We know this, so there is insecurity and baggage that comes with pursuing what is ‘hip.’ Humans are funny. “Hey let’s move somewhere with cafes, bars, live music, art events, interesting clothing and record shops...push up the rent, push out the makers, send in noise complaints...and so on! Yeah!”

To some small extent, the synthesiser is an avatar for my aspirations or ideals about who I am. But in reality it’s a box of junk that I have to make work to derive pleasure from, and apply discipline to extract any art from. That process is more demanding and rewarding than growing an ironic moustache and hoping some pretty girl recognises my taste in microbrews and looks past my insecurities...
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

what are you guys using for monitors for your modular. The system I'm planning is for home wiggle sessions, so won't be in a studio setup. Although will have a record path. Don't quite have genelec money, maybe adams.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Maniac

I went from KRK 4" to JBL 5." First listen was Bowie: Scary Monsters. I actually cried, if that's a recommendation.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
what are you guys using for monitors for your modular. The system I'm planning is for home wiggle sessions, so won't be in a studio setup. Although will have a record path. Don't quite have genelec money, maybe adams.
focal twins. they sound much better than adams without having to be genelec money.
Look for something 2nd hand, there's always a studio that's upgrading to the flashy new thing while the older model is still excellent.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
focal twins. they sound much better than adams without having to be genelec money.
Look for something 2nd hand, there's always a studio that's upgrading to the flashy new thing while the older model is still excellent.
I agree with the 2nd hand thing. I picked up a pair of used 8020c Gennies a year or so back, for the price of just one new one.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

oh don't worry I practically live on reverb.com, evil bay if necc.

hmm... used prices for gennies not so bad, guess it might be worth holding out for a good deal. Good call people
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Focal CMS5s w/ JBL LSR series sub. Look at the Focal Alphas. A lotta bang for you buck, and just a bit more than the LSR's which are also fantastic at the lower cost spectrum.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
I have the Focal Alpha 65's for my studio and they've always sounded good to my ears. I've had them about 3 years now. I went to my local store and tried Rokits (muddy bass) and the Yamaha HS series - too flat sounding which may be good for mixing but not nice to listen to. They didn't have the Focal Alphas in but I listened to the Focal Solos and CMS with classical, funk and rock music, are really well balanced and based my decision on this and have been very pleased. Well worth a listen if you have the chance to compare.

Having said this I am also looking to get a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402 for portable use as well as I tend to move skiffs/racks around rooms.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

this just arrived..

installed..!!!

there's a particular reason I've installed it in that location, this module looks to be very hands on so I have it right there close to my right hand so I can tweak and play in real time, ears should make the perfect gate and sound source in one for it..

Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

wow are you kidding me, morphagene is just incredible...sooooo soooo soooo cool, it's so immediate an idiot like me can get samples in this thing in 2 seconds and start having a ball, anyone who has one and ears, patch in the gate or envelope out of ears for insane crazy fun...this is going to be on everything I do for a while..just wow..!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search