The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th April 2017
  #3181
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Just ordered another 2x O&C PCB/panel, I've settled on the idea of having 3 in my rack
3
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3182
Befaco mixer system. two modules assembled 700 euros. DIY a lot cheaper!
speciality: 3 aux busses, isolator equalizers on every channel, plus a brickwall (soft) limiter
3
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3183
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
WARNING: CHAOS AHEAD! This is just a non-musical, experimental test.
...
around the 5:00 mark on, it pays off into what could be the beginnings of a beautiful, droning, cinematic soundscape...

before the 5:00 mark is interesting... after the 5:00 mark is Excellent!
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3184
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Befaco mixer system. two modules assembled 700 euros. DIY a lot cheaper!
speciality: 3 aux busses, isolator equalizers on every channel, plus a brickwall (soft) limiter
A DIY option, I'm interested.
3
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3185
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
2
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3186
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Sorry, I've just been having a really rough time lately and been feeling like it's not even worth doing this stuff at all anymore; feel like I'm not making any forward movement with any of it. The video I posted yesterday on YouTube I took down because of all the downvotes (though the Instagram crowd seems to love it.) Oh well, I'm just being overly extra sensitive lately...
Sometimes you have to take a step backward or suffer through some non-forward momentum to get over the hump and get some forward momentum again. Don't beat yourself up.

I used to struggle also with confusion and letdown when musical things I made didn't get the social acceptance I thought they would. So I've stopped having any expectations when I post something. It seems to help in the emotional downturns and feelings of whether it's worth it. In the end, I make what I make because I enjoy it and I find something interesting about it. If others don't, well, I can't compare that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
you know what's incredibly great value is the TipTop ONE, I took the card to work with me last night and stuck it in my macbook and noticed that you can load al your own samples onto this thing with ease, it also has a mode where you can play whole tracks of music from it, you could in effect write a track, bounce it to card then play it from ONE re effect and add to it via another jam creating a whole new mix of the track or just make it better...crazy coool fun and value, a few of them and you've got a lot of samples to work with..
What sample rate and bit rate can it support - do you know? For instance, if I record something at 48k and 24-bit, (or higher) does the One downsample it its max resolution?
2
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3187
Lives for gear
 
Hokut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
(Advanced Circuit Lab)
Interesting modules/featuers.
I could not find prices online though
Old 27th April 2017
  #3188
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
Bulit a “daughter” to go with my Mother 32. Wavetable osc, additional modulation and routing and the Eowave dedicated voice... not bad for 44hp of space. Modules are on their way! Function and Power Lunch arrived last night. If I were to expand, I’d actually buy another of the same case because the restriction really forced me to think about where to start – as counter intuitive as that might seem, building a dedicated mini system is part of the fun. That being said, first things I’d get would be more utilities, then maybe look at clock dividers, effects etc.

Now just to figure out how to make music with it...umm...
Aww... that thing is so cute! And you wrangled a lot of functionality out of a small space. I love that you've pretty much made it a whole voice of its own. Good job!
Old 27th April 2017
  #3189
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Sorry, I've just been having a really rough time lately and been feeling like it's not even worth doing this stuff at all anymore; feel like I'm not making any forward movement with any of it. The video I posted yesterday on YouTube I took down because of all the downvotes (though the Instagram crowd seems to love it.) Oh well, I'm just being overly extra sensitive lately...
Frick the haters. Frick them in their donkeyholes. The stuff I post gets very few views and a whole lot of downvotes, but that's okay because I'm not doing it for them. I'm doing it for me, and if anyone else happens to be interested in what I'm doing, then that's cool, too. If not, it's not my problem. And this is coming from a VERY thin-skinned individual. You've just got to remind yourself that you're doing this for you in the long run.
5
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3190
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I think there will be a second season to that show, hope so it was pretty good TV really..
Somebody told me that, but I hope they're wrong. It ended too perfectly to bring it back. All of those questions should remain unanswered, I believe.
Old 27th April 2017
  #3191
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I keep getting pulled more and more to the #darkside , the more I learn about modular.
That to me is where modular gets dangerous. In the end, a monosynth or dum machine made in modular is usually more expensive than a standalone counterpart, but the fact that you can build it piece by piece means it's that much more financially accessible.

Also, don't write off the old discontinued stuff. If you hunt around long enough, most of the old Analogue Solutions Concussor drum modules can be had for pretty cheap and they sound identical to the real thing.
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3192
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
it also has a mode where you can play whole tracks of music from it, you could in effect write a track, bounce it to card then play it from ONE re effect and add to it via another jam creating a whole new mix of the track or just make it better...
That is a really good idea, actually. I initially wasn't interested in One, but now I am. Thanks for the tip!
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3193
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That is a really good idea, actually. I initially wasn't interested in One, but now I am. Thanks for the tip!
just imagine with two cards and a blending mixer like the WMD blender, you could mix two tracks together like a DJ.. pump that sh it through your modular, tempo matched of course..endless fun..

1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3194
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Sometimes you have to take a step backward or suffer through some non-forward momentum to get over the hump and get some forward momentum again. Don't beat yourself up.

I used to struggle also with confusion and letdown when musical things I made didn't get the social acceptance I thought they would. So I've stopped having any expectations when I post something. It seems to help in the emotional downturns and feelings of whether it's worth it. In the end, I make what I make because I enjoy it and I find something interesting about it. If others don't, well, I can't compare that.



What sample rate and bit rate can it support - do you know? For instance, if I record something at 48k and 24-bit, (or higher) does the One downsample it its max resolution?
no I believe it remains at 48k 24bit
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3195
Replaced a Tip Top 3U with a Doepfer A-100LCB 6 U … added a Doepfer Dark Time too ; too much fun …
Will add some more next months ; eying the Erica synths Wavetable osc ; the Dave jones O tool + ; Audio damage Errorbox ;Clouds Mutable ; Rubicon Intelligel ….



PEACE


MORDICUS
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3196
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Frick the haters. Frick them in their donkeyholes. The stuff I post gets very few views and a whole lot of downvotes, but that's okay because I'm not doing it for them. I'm doing it for me, and if anyone else happens to be interested in what I'm doing, then that's cool, too. If not, it's not my problem. And this is coming from a VERY thin-skinned individual. You've just got to remind yourself that you're doing this for you in the long run.
People I know say 'you have a studio in your house and play all kinds of instruments.. how come we never hear any of your music?'

My answer 'you wouldn't like it'..

Them: 'but maybe...'

Me: no.. you wouldn't like it.

There's something about musicians.. they hit 40 and want to don a Hawaiian shirt and go play 'mustang sally' at a crappy bar. I still like industrial.. and punk.. and metal.
4
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3197
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
People I know say 'you have a studio in your house and play all kinds of instruments.. how come we never hear any of your music?'

My answer 'you wouldn't like it'..

Them: 'but maybe...'

Me: no.. you wouldn't like it.

There's something about musicians.. they hit 40 and want to don a Hawaiian shirt and go play 'mustang sally' at a crappy bar. I still like industrial.. and punk.. and metal.
Same. Even in Portland-everyone who doesn't live here thinks it's so frickin hip- too bad most dudes my age all want to start alt-country or 60s/70s/80s cover bands to satiate microbrew-swilling yuppies that wish they didn't spend 600k on a 2-bedroom hovel and were happier where they came from. I still like electronic space rock, post rock and shoegazer. A couple weeks ago, someone in line at the merch booth at Radiohead said (without a bit of irony in her voice)-

"These shirts are way cheaper than Taylor Swift".

My town has died. My culture has died. It's cool to like the most low-hanging worst sh1t ever created while simultaneously pretending to understand higher art. I'm gonna go make myself throw up and cry in the shower, then move to some podunk flyover sh1thole and open a vinyl store.


/end rant, whew!
2
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3198
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Same. Even in Portland-everyone who doesn't live here thinks it's so frickin hip- too bad most dudes my age all want to start alt-country or 60s/70s/80s cover bands to satiate microbrew-swilling yuppies that wish they didn't spend 600k on a 2-bedroom hovel and were happier where they came from. I still like electronic space rock, post rock and shoegazer. A couple weeks ago, someone in line at the merch booth at Radiohead said (without a bit of irony in her voice)-

"These shirts are way cheaper than Taylor Swift".

My town has died. My culture has died. It's cool to like the most low-hanging worst sh1t ever created while simultaneously pretending to understand higher art. I'm gonna go make myself throw up and cry in the shower, then move to some podunk flyover sh1thole and open a vinyl store.


/end rant, whew!
I. Live. In. Georgia. GEORGIA. The flagship university in the state proudly refers to it's sports team as 'dawgs'. Culture here passes for pickup trucks with 'truck nuts' to match their rebel flags.

Electronic music fans? There are literally dozens of us (though Richard Devine allegedly hides out somewhere in this city).
3
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3199
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I could be happy playing my modular for free in some random cafe whether anybody danced or enjoyed it or not...any excuse to play and let others hear what these machines can do really..
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3200
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post


this is the weird one..

pads and long notes is me playing the Deepmind
Personally, I like that one the most out of your recent batch.
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I. Live. In. Georgia. GEORGIA. The flagship university in the state proudly refers to it's sports team as 'dawgs'. Culture here passes for pickup trucks with 'truck nuts' to match their rebel flags.

Electronic music fans? There are literally dozens of us (though Richard Devine allegedly hides out somewhere in this city).
I moved from Jacksonville, FL to Portland 18 years ago to escape "dawgs", "gators", "noles", good old boy cops, and special-needs politics. Cowboy hats and rebel flags too. I just didn't fit in there, not enough hatred for non-whites and the gays I guess. Not enough red on my neck. There were literally 200 cool music fans in the whole goddamn city of over a million, and you can go to jail for having a pot seed in your floorboard. ************ the 'Murican south. I'm going back one time ever, to take my daughter to Disney World and then the whole thing can fall into the ocean for all I care.

Atlanta is at least a real city, and not too far from Baltimore/DC...we used to drive the 6 hours up to Hotlanta for shows all the time. Saw The Jesus Lizard open for Butthole Surfers there in the early 90s at Masquerade...brilliant show and venue...acid is a hell of a drug...saw Built to Spill and Sebadoh and a few other awesome bands that were afraid to go to Florida after bad experiences with cops and people in general...I love that venue "The Point", great place to see anyone.
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3202
Gear Head
 

Midi/cv keyboard

Alright this is a stupid ****ing question. My apollo twin duo audio interface has no midi capabilities, how do I go about setting up a keyboard to play through my eurorack? I don't want a USB powered keyboard and obviously want one with CV AND MIDI, I know I need a midi module in my eurorack that's not my question, do I need a usb midi converter thingy? I'm lost halp please
Old 27th April 2017
  #3203
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
seeing how we're talking clock dividers, anyone else check out temps utile? that's got all your bases covered.

Anyone know if I can add the temps utile app to my O&C? I'd be happy with clock outs (instead of the 6)
Nope, not unless you want to do some coding.
Old 27th April 2017
  #3204
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Alright this is a stupid ****ing question. My apollo twin duo audio interface has no midi capabilities, how do I go about setting up a keyboard to play through my eurorack? I don't want a USB powered keyboard and obviously want one with CV AND MIDI, I know I need a midi module in my eurorack that's not my question, do I need a usb midi converter thingy? I'm lost halp please
USB power is something I have begun to start learning to live with, as much as I really hate it. I'd suggest Arturia Keystep or Kieth Macmillen QuNexus as decent places to start looking if you can deal with USB power. I just plug them into something similar to iPhone cubes, but I have one that powers 2 at once...
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3205
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Alright this is a stupid ****ing question. My apollo twin duo audio interface has no midi capabilities, how do I go about setting up a keyboard to play through my eurorack? I don't want a USB powered keyboard and obviously want one with CV AND MIDI, I know I need a midi module in my eurorack that's not my question, do I need a usb midi converter thingy? I'm lost halp please
I'd look at either of the Arturia controllers, the Keystep or BeatStepPro. If you just want a simple MIDI interface, I like this one --

https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-Tbox...midi+interface

It's a "class compliant" interface and requires no drivers. You can also hook it up to your iPad (with a Camera Connection Kit) to run things like Fugue Machine or other iOS sequencers.
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3206
Gear Head
 

Alright keystep it is then, that was I don't need the midi interface right? Just the keyboard, along with a midi/gate cv eurorack mod and I'll be good to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I'd look at either of the Arturia controllers, the Keystep or BeatStepPro. If you just want a simple MIDI interface, I like this one --

https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-Tbox...midi+interface

It's a "class compliant" interface and requires no drivers. You can also hook it up to your iPad (with a Camera Connection Kit) to run things like Fugue Machine or other iOS sequencers.
Old 27th April 2017
  #3207
Lives for gear
 

I escaped the American south, too. In all fairness, it does have pockets of cool scenes, and some very cool people, and great food, but not enough of it for my tastes.
1
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3208
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I keep getting pulled more and more to the #darkside , the more I learn about modular.

For months now I've had an Avalon, a BoomstarSEM, and a TR8 on my wish list.

But lately I've been looking at how to replace the important parts of those items with modules. It's an interesting exercise. I can pick up an SEM module, and leverage other mono synths to obviate the need for a Boomstar, and I sequence from Live 9 anyway, so an x0x Heart module could scratch my 303 itch, and since I don't need the sequencing aspects of the TR8 either, a mix of drum modules that includes the 808 and 909 bits I want most ought to take care of that need, so, here's what I have in mind so far:



Those mutant drum modules are appealing, too, but they're more expensive and take up more space. I wonder if they're worth it, compared to the TipTop modules. And I'm still working through my modular needs for mixing and sequencing and MIDI.
The thing with the TipTop modules is that they are the definition of one trick pony. I have two of them, the 808 hats and the 909 clap. I got them because I use those sounds in my productions a lot and don't really modify them very heavily. Also they are not easy to synthesize with more generic modules.

For kicks, snares and other percussion I prefer more flexibility. Mutable Peaks has a bunch of drum sounds in it. There's 808 kick and snare and FM drums in one of the alternate modes. I'm really falling in love with SSF Element. All of the envelope outs and CV control makes it play well with the rest of the rack rather than just being a set and forget drum module. I also still have Dinky's Taiko in my rack which is a little unwieldy but can produce an amazing variety of sounds with it's wavetable vco + digital noise.
2
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3209
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
Bulit a “daughter” to go with my Mother 32. Wavetable osc, additional modulation and routing and the Eowave dedicated voice... not bad for 44hp of space. Modules are on their way! Function and Power Lunch arrived last night. If I were to expand, I’d actually buy another of the same case because the restriction really forced me to think about where to start – as counter intuitive as that might seem, building a dedicated mini system is part of the fun. That being said, first things I’d get would be more utilities, then maybe look at clock dividers, effects etc.

Now just to figure out how to make music with it...umm...
It looks like you've got a lot of stuff other than modular so YMMV but I found that it wasn't until around 6U that I really clicked with modular. Up until that point I had it configured as three voices which were semi permanently patched. It wasn't that I didn't like repatching it's just that there was only a couple ways to patch things that made sense. At that stage I was kind of conflicted because it felt like I had basically built a fixed architecture synth for way more $$s.

It wasn't until I had a few more modules than I reasonably needed in any given patch that I felt like I clicked with modular because each time I repatched everything would be slightly different and I had room to explore without running out of EGs or VCAs or other utilities. In any case we'll be here in a year or two when you're shopping for cases to say "I told you so".
4
Share
Old 27th April 2017
  #3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Yeah that was called AQA Systems before. We made two videos about that, from the Dancefair and ADE last year. It's a really nice oscillator! Reminds me of the detail of the Doepfer A-111 (CEM 3320) but then with more balls.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump