The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
It sounds awesome. We made a video but had some difficulties (the cameraman was ill) so it will be up in the coming days.

As for you being moderator of the modular subforum, you should know there's a bit of a faustian bargain: please reduce your lifespan by 10 years.
Just kidding you'd probably make a good moderator. But nothing's concrete yet about this whole idea, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Hey, at least that ten years would be going toward something constructive. I've wasted thirty-three years trying to be a professional musician.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
Great Destroyer
I've got that one and imho, it's not as great as the name implies. Even Dirt sees more use than it, and it was designed to sound like crap. Great Destroyer sounds rather irksome, even considering it's a fuzz pedal in a module. I have yet to find a good use for it including guitars. I'd recommend a Plague Bearer if you want something that's got a lot of versatility, 308 if you want a really good Rat clone, or if you've got the space, the DSM02 has a really good overdrive in addition to its EQ and bit/sampler modification controls.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I haven't gotten to the point of selling modules yet, but when space once again becomes a constraint, the Wogglebug is probably the first to go from my rack. I can do the same thing with similar shapes, 4x with the Batumi expert firmware while having better control. The only thing saving it right now is that I've found I can make interesting hi-hat type sounds with it in combo with a BP or HP filter.
Thanks for the heads up on the Batumi. That one's been on my wishlist for a while, but kinda low priority since I've got lots of LFO's already. You just bumped it up a few notches!
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteak View Post
Welp, sweetwater added 4ms and intellijel stuff to their stock. They now have a eurorack section as well. RIP my wallet thanks to the 3 seperate payment options.
I know exactly how you feel. The Pittsburgh SV-1 and Percussion Sequencer have been available from them for a while now and it's been a tough fight to talk myself out of buying them. Maybe once I get the System-1m and Mother-32 paid off.

Also beware: A lot of sellers on Reverb take Affirm, and they have some pretty flexible payment plans. There's a lot of traps set out there for us compulsive module buyers.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I've got that one and imho, it's not as great as the name implies. Even Dirt sees more use than it, and it was designed to sound like crap. Great Destroyer sounds rather irksome, even considering it's a fuzz pedal in a module. I have yet to find a good use for it including guitars. I'd recommend a Plague Bearer if you want something that's got a lot of versatility, 308 if you want a really good Rat clone, or if you've got the space, the DSM02 has a really good overdrive in addition to its EQ and bit/sampler modification controls.
Good to know thanks. I already have a Rat in pedal form; I was looking for something kind of out of control and capable of real ugliness. I'm not that interested in 'traditional' disto/fuzz, I have plenty of those I think. The videos of the pedal and the module all seemed to indicate that kind of cruel, unhinged vibe. But I'll have to watch more carefully, thanks for the heads up!
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know thanks. I already have a Rat in pedal form; I was looking for something kind of out of control and capable of real ugliness. I'm not that interested in 'traditional' disto/fuzz, I have plenty of those I think. The videos of the pedal and the module all seemed to indicate that kind of cruel, unhinged vibe. But I'll have to watch more carefully, thanks for the heads up!
What about the ZVex Fuzz Factory? It's gnarly in guitar pedal form.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to have to put together a demo video of the WMD Aperture. It gives me the type of sound that I was hoping the Plague Bearer would provide, and then some if I want it. On the flip side it also not always out of control, I was using as a simple LPG last night, pinging it with a quick envelope from Maths.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
What about the ZVex Fuzz Factory? It's gnarly in guitar pedal form.
The demos I've seen are killer! I'd have to free up another 4hp or whatever and it's $150 more new so I'd still prefer the GD if it is suitable. But FF seems like an incredible Fuzz module for sure.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

You guys are such enablers, now the top three lists ... I went with a Ladik M-216 Trig/gate to MIDI instead of the Deopfer A-192-1. Now everything on my list is in route.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone looking for clock divider/multiplier with some built in logic or both might want to hold off for the new Shakmat Time Wizard - due out at the end of June. It's DIY, but I'm sure you'll be able to pick them up built as well as it's Shakmat.

at 2 minutes.

Apologies if this was posted previously - there were a ton of product videos posted lately.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Bulit a “daughter” to go with my Mother 32. Wavetable osc, additional modulation and routing and the Eowave dedicated voice... not bad for 44hp of space. Modules are on their way! Function and Power Lunch arrived last night. If I were to expand, I’d actually buy another of the same case because the restriction really forced me to think about where to start – as counter intuitive as that might seem, building a dedicated mini system is part of the fun. That being said, first things I’d get would be more utilities, then maybe look at clock dividers, effects etc.

Now just to figure out how to make music with it...umm...
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2017-modular.jpg  
Old 27th April 2017
WARNING: CHAOS AHEAD! This is just a non-musical, experimental test.

This initially started out as a test of the 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator going into the Tiptop Audio Fold Processor, because normally, Wavefolders love Sine Waves, so I figured "6 Sine Waves from the SMR into the Fold Processor!" but unfortunately, it sounded really ugly.

So then I tried the Internal Oscillator of Mutable Instruments Warps (using the Triangle Wave) and that actually sounded like it was supposed to... a beautifully wave folded waveform. So at that point I figured, "why not test all the waveforms... and maybe all at once!" so that's what this video is. Description of each part that comes in is in the video. All of the waveforms are being mixed through the Intellijel Planar Vector Mixer.

Again, this is only an experiment to see what would happen, and for the most part, it's an ugly mess, but towards the end, around the 5:00 mark on, it pays off into what could be the beginnings of a beautiful, droning, cinematic soundscape...

Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

If you want to hear some great sounds using saw waves with that wavefolder watch this guys video, it's a slow watch as he talks through other gear but watch when he gets to the wave folder, what he gets out of that thing with a saw waves is super super nice..made me gas for it hardcore..

Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

all good..
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

MPC sequencing modular..
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
But did you even watch my video? Was there nothing in it that sounded at least kind of interesting? Just kind of insulting that, when I try to put work into doing these videos, the response I get is, "if you want to hear great sounds, watch this guy instead."
well I loved your video. I liked the sounds. I was playing the video for my friend and telling him how shouldn't have called it 'chaotic' since I thought it was really musical. but different tastes for different folks. the whole seven minutes he just wanted me to turn it down. :shug:
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
No I hadn't, I simply replied to your post, I haven't listened yet, I was simply offering some help and advice, don't take it the wrong way I listen to all your videos..
Sorry, I've just been having a really rough time lately and been feeling like it's not even worth doing this stuff at all anymore; feel like I'm not making any forward movement with any of it. The video I posted yesterday on YouTube I took down because of all the downvotes (though the Instagram crowd seems to love it.) Oh well, I'm just being overly extra sensitive lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
well I loved your video. I liked the sounds. I was playing the video for my friend and telling him how shouldn't have called it 'chaotic' since I thought it was really musical. but different tastes for different folks. the whole seven minutes he just wanted me to turn it down. :shug:
Thank you, I appreciate that.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Sorry, I've just been having a really rough time lately and been feeling like it's not even worth doing this stuff at all anymore; feel like I'm not making any forward movement with any of it. The video I posted yesterday on YouTube I took down because of all the downvotes (though the Instagram crowd seems to love it.) Oh well, I'm just being overly extra sensitive lately...

Thank you, I appreciate that.
I put a ton of effort into all my videos and music too and barely anyone listens, I released a 5 track EP just using the Deepmind recently that I was quite proud of and it got like 15 thumbs down, meh who cares I'm not doing this for anyone else..
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Post it anyway. I love weird and I'm sure everyone else can at least appreciate it as they may hear something that they'll want to try on their own systems. Lord knows I've stolen plenty of ideas from everybody here as it is.

this is the weird one..

pads and long notes is me playing the Deepmind
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
[
this is the weird one..

pads and long notes is me playing the Deepmind
Funny name there: I finally watched Stranger Things while I was on vacation. When they mentioned "The Upside Down", I thought they were talking about Australia.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe something is wrong with mine because now that you mention it, I remember the demos sou.dead really gnarly and mine has never sounded like that.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Funny name there: I finally watched Stranger Things while I was on vacation. When they mentioned "The Upside Down", I thought they were talking about Australia.
me and my kids also watched it over the holidays, we loved it so much, we binge watched it over two days, as I was watching it I also wrote this so named it something similar..

I think there will be a second season to that show, hope so it was pretty good TV really..
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Don't give up or get too down, all of you, especially based on internet feedback from random strangers - it's a fickle beast on its best day. I for one enjoy and appreciate the knowledge sharing aspects each of you offer immensely, and like much of the music itself. I listen to every audio and video example in this thread, and have been going back and reading through and listening to and watching everything in both of the prior modular threads as well, plus trying to catch up over on the Muff, too. Besides, other musicians and artists are about the toughest crowd anyway. I'm often surprised how positive this place actually is sometimes, in between the drama.

Keep it up.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

seeing how we're talking clock dividers, anyone else check out temps utile? that's got all your bases covered.

Anyone know if I can add the temps utile app to my O&C? I'd be happy with clock outs (instead of the 6)
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

I keep getting pulled more and more to the #darkside , the more I learn about modular.

For months now I've had an Avalon, a BoomstarSEM, and a TR8 on my wish list.

But lately I've been looking at how to replace the important parts of those items with modules. It's an interesting exercise. I can pick up an SEM module, and leverage other mono synths to obviate the need for a Boomstar, and I sequence from Live 9 anyway, so an x0x Heart module could scratch my 303 itch, and since I don't need the sequencing aspects of the TR8 either, a mix of drum modules that includes the 808 and 909 bits I want most ought to take care of that need, so, here's what I have in mind so far:

Those mutant drum modules are appealing, too, but they're more expensive and take up more space. I wonder if they're worth it, compared to the TipTop modules. And I'm still working through my modular needs for mixing and sequencing and MIDI.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

you know what's incredibly great value is the TipTop ONE, I took the card to work with me last night and stuck it in my macbook and noticed that you can load al your own samples onto this thing with ease, it also has a mode where you can play whole tracks of music from it, you could in effect write a track, bounce it to card then play it from ONE re effect and add to it via another jam creating a whole new mix of the track or just make it better...crazy coool fun and value, a few of them and you've got a lot of samples to work with..
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I keep getting pulled more and more to the #darkside , the more I learn about modular.

For months now I've had an Avalon, a BoomstarSEM, and a TR8 on my wish list.

But lately I've been looking at how to replace the important parts of those items with modules. It's an interesting exercise. I can pick up an SEM module, and leverage other mono synths to obviate the need for a Boomstar, and I sequence from Live 9 anyway, so an x0x Heart module could scratch my 303 itch, and since I don't need the sequencing aspects of the TR8 either, a mix of drum modules that includes the 808 and 909 bits I want most ought to take care of that need, so, here's what I have in mind so far, and at this point the cost is basically a wash:

Those mutant drum modules are appealing, too, but they're more expensive and take up more space. I wonder if they're worth it, compared to the TipTop modules.
the tip top drum modules are really closely aligned to the originals they emulate in sound, the mutant modules are more like Jomox emulations, much dirtier and grittier..the mutant kick and hats in particular reminds me of the Jomox Xbase 09 drum machine..
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
you know what's incredibly great value is the TipTop ONE, I took the card to work with me last night and stuck it in my macbook and noticed that you can load al your own samples onto this thing with ease, it also has a mode where you can play whole tracks of music from it, you could in effect write a track, bounce it to card then play it from ONE re effect and add to it via another jam creating a whole new mix of the track or just make it better...crazy coool fun and value, a few of them and you've got a lot of samples to work with..
Very cool.

Is the latency tight enough to use them as a drum module, with a kick or whatever else loaded up?
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Very cool.

Is the latency tight enough to use them as a drum module, with a kick or whatever else loaded up?
absolutely, they claim the latency to be so low it's not something you can hear at all, like 0.25 of a millisecond or something, what's weird is the audition button has mega latency but when you hit it with a trigger it's lightning fast just like any other module..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search