The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
A guy Here did do a teardown.
Yeah, that one looks a lot more eloquent than my idea.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Guru

here's a quick little poll question for readers of this thread..

what are the next 3 modules you intend to buy and put in your system and why..?

I'll start..

1: Morphagene is on it's way to me should be here Friday, for sound mangling purely, I have installed ears right next to it for that purpose.
2: Synthrotek MIDI/USB cv/gate clock module, because it helps me put the macbook into the system as an instrument.
3: Tonestar 2 the Juno one, because it sounds freaking unreal..
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

I'll start..

1: Morphagene is on it's way to me should be here Friday, for sound mangling purely, I have installed ears right next to it for that purpose.
2: Synthrotek MIDI/USB cv/gate clock module, because it helps me put the macbook into the system as an instrument.
3: Tonestar 2 the Juno one, because it sounds freaking unreal..
how about putting this in a seperate thread?
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
how about putting this in a seperate thread?
How about giving us a modular subforum instead?

So much good info gets lost in here, between all the "me too" posts and simply the jumbled length of the thing... but because this is the modular place, its also difficult to post module-specific, or theme-specific threads in the main forum. The great thing about gearslutz is when researching gear to find all the info that has been added to single threads over the years, but no-ones going back to the 2016 modular thread to drop another idea about how to use a maths or something...
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
How about giving us a modular subforum instead?

So much good info gets lost in here, between all the "me too" posts and simply the jumbled length of the thing... but because this is the modular place, its also difficult to post module-specific, or theme-specific threads in the main forum. The great thing about gearslutz is when researching gear to find all the info that has been added to single threads over the years, but no-ones going back to the 2016 modular thread to drop another idea about how to use a maths or something...
<That's a valid argument.

Why we didn't, so far, is because then people would ask a seperate forum for samplers, workstations, effects, or even softsynths. It's better to have it all in one place or it'd splinter up this forum.

We put in the "tag" system to organize viewing the forum, you could hit the modular tag and all you'd see is threads about that topic. This way it would feel like your own subforum, but then you could switch it off, or make combinations of what you'd like to see.

But the modular thing is still growing, we do need to come up with a solution, I agree, because of the reasons you posted.

I'll put it before the webdesigners again. Thanks for the feedback. >
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

1) Morphogene, mangling/experimenting
2) intellijel Quadra or Qu-bit contour, I want more envelopes.
3) Get building some of this DIY I have stocked up.
Old 26th April 2017
I finally got my setup sorted out for this Friday's live performance (and if you are local to PDX, make sure to come by the Baker Building and check it out. Show starts at 9:00PM )

New additions include the Tiptop Audio Fold Processor, the Intellijel Planar, the Rossum Control Forge and the Make Noise Morphagene. Tomorrow I may post the video here that I just finished shooting/editing this evening... Wavefolding 10 Waveforms!

Next three and final modules for this setup will be the Intellijel Shapeshifter, the Make Noise Optomix and the RYO Aperture (but it will be a long while before I can afford those or anything else.)
Old 26th April 2017
1. Tiptop quantizer - I sold my Intellijel and this looks great for live
2. VPME.de - euclidian sequencer also for live performance
3. Erica Synths Fusion mixer
.... and finish the DIY
Old 26th April 2017
I don't often have a 'to buy' list, but as it happens I currently do.

1) Mutant Rimshot
I will probably buy this in the next couple of weeks.
2) The new WMD metallic percussion module (Superbooth 2017)
I don't think it's going to be available for a few months.
3) Dave Smith DSM03 resonant feedback
It was premiered at NAMM (Jan) but I've seen nothing since.
4) A second Erica Pico Drum

And.....
If money was no object I'd probably buy a few of the Random Source Serge modules, but I'd need a third case. I'd also like to buy a couple more filters (Roland 500, WMD Aperture?).
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

1. XAOC Devices Tirana - I want a cv controlled sequencer that can do transposition for arps and stuff like that
2. Ornament and Crime - Been wanting one for a while, I just got to find a builder
3. Thinking about a dedicated clock module like Pamela's but really trying to save $$ for one of the new MPCs
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Guru

I would love a modular sequencer that could do long notes and shorts in a sequence like you would with a piano roll in MIDI but in a hardware sequencer..
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I'll put it before the webdesigners again. Thanks for the feedback. >
I volunteer myself as moderator for the modular subforum.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

I don't have a whole lot on my to buy list at this point. I really feel from a functionality standpoint I have my modular where I want it, so I'll be concentrating mostly on upgrades to current functionality at this point. (I know, sacrilege)

Anyway, the one module that's a must for me will be the new E352 from SynthTech. It will have a display to view the waveform, ability to load own waveforms, all functionality of the E350, but accessible from a menu now, so no expander necessary, and through zero FM if I remember correctly.

I'd also like to eventually add the Dijkstar Clap. One of the best synth-based claps I've heard. But that's a lower priority.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would love a modular sequencer that could do long notes and shorts in a sequence like you would with a piano roll in MIDI but in a hardware sequencer..
Stillson Hammer can do it, but it gets a little convoluted as the gate controls are separate from the note controls. Another option would be to take another sequencer, and instead of using clock to control it, send it triggered gates from a trigger sequencer that you program the note lengths into.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

For me, it's kinda hard to pin down because I have a wishlist, but ultimately I'll take whatever my budget is and shop for bargains so what I want and what I end up buying are usually two separate things. I guess at the top of the wishlist these days would be...
  1. Tonestar 8106 - I've intended to get this one for a long while but rather than save my money for it, I just blow whatever's in my bank account on something that's available.
  2. Rotating Clock Divider and Expander - I'm really digging random and clock division lately, and the rotation feature looks like it could really add some chaos to a patch.
  3. Wogglebug - Must have all the random.
  4. Quad Clock Divider - This one has been off my radar for a long time because for fixed-rate clock division, I usually just use a trigger sequencer, but I think it might be a good idea to get a dedicated module for that because it would alter my workflow in what might possibly be a good way.
  5. 0-Coast - Since finding out this one can be racked, I've been fascinated with it. Yes, I pretty much have most of it already in Make Noise modules, but dedicated voices change the way you work a little, I think. For me, modular is mostly about the really convoluted crazy noises, so it's nice to have modules that can take care of some of the simple stuff for you so you can make other components of the patch weirder and have some sort of 'normal' foundation to build on.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

ER-301 - On order. Want a real sampler and couldn't wait for the Assimil8tor
TINRS Tuesday - Impulse buy, but hell, I love generative stuff
Deopfer A-192 - Looking to have the modular trigger the Analog Rytm
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

I decided to fill out one or the other of my main cases instead of oscillating back and forth all the time but...I haven't really decided which case yet heh. So depending:
1. Optomix #2
2. Maths #2
3. SISM
(not very exciting but doubling these particular modules will really open up my WC case)

or if I pick the other case

1. Great Destroyer
2. S.P.O.
3. uVCA

Leaning towards the latter as that will put me 1 Motomouth VCF (coming in July), 1 FCUK envelope and 1 Mixer away from done; the other case still has a bit further to go.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
[*]Wogglebug - Must have all the random.
I haven't gotten to the point of selling modules yet, but when space once again becomes a constraint, the Wogglebug is probably the first to go from my rack. I can do the same thing with similar shapes, 4x with the Batumi expert firmware while having better control. The only thing saving it right now is that I've found I can make interesting hi-hat type sounds with it in combo with a BP or HP filter.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Addict

Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

1. Make Noise Morphagene - played with it last week and it's probably going to affect my system the most in the best of ways.
2 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonant Filter - if it can do what I expect it to while running poly synths through it, mmgm
3 Abstract Data Octocontroller - more LFO, and looping S&H phrases... I'm excited.

just waiting for the money....
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

A few things on my list of possibles
1 - A Main Sequencer (Eloquencer / FLXS1 / ER-101)... eventually with the addition of a second sequencer or a trigger sequencer (erica new drum sequencer or other option)
2 - A Sampler (Assimil8r or smaller different sample units)
3 - A case mixer system (Befaco Hexa or new ADDAC System or Permance Mixer...)

Did not yet decide.
1 - It's because I want to try and have a built in modular sequencing setup I can carry within a case, looking at options.
Started with BSP and I also want to try a MIDI/CV interface to use with the MC909 or DAW but I want a modular solution to carry around or as a stand alone self-sufficient system. Don't always want to switch the DAW on (unless for recording) and the MC909 is big... I know there is the Pyramid and others but the MC909 I already have

2 - The 1001 Bitbox is an option and it's out but the Assimil8r has me interested.

3 - Same as per 1. Currently, several modular outs go into a MOTU AVB interface into DAW for multichannel recording but what to try modular based mixing setup

On my list also an Arpitecht+Triad, possibly
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Anyway, the one module that's a must for me will be the new E352 from SynthTech. It will have a display to view the waveform, ability to load own waveforms, all functionality of the E350, but accessible from a menu now, so no expander necessary, and through zero FM if I remember correctly.
I chickened out on the e370 kickstarter , Seeing the newly announced e352, I figured I'd be pleased. But the more I look into what it can do, I figure I'll definitely want two of them... but for the price of two of them I could get an E370!. , I contacted pauls last week and he's still got some spots left for e370's, so I'm in. Paid and now waiting. just get an e370, it'll be beautiful!

this was $$ that was supposed to go towards my 'want list'... but how easily we get distracted. the e370 will become unobtanium, but those other modules I'll still be able to get them come year end.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I don't often have a 'to buy' list, but as it happens I currently do.

1) Mutant Rimshot
I will probably buy this in the next couple of weeks.
2) The new WMD metallic percussion module (Superbooth 2017)
I don't think it's going to be available for a few months.
3) Dave Smith DSM03 resonant feedback
It was premiered at NAMM (Jan) but I've seen nothing since.
4) A second Erica Pico Drum

And.....
If money was no object I'd probably buy a few of the Random Source Serge modules, but I'd need a third case. I'd also like to buy a couple more filters (Roland 500, WMD Aperture?).
I waffled on it for months, but really like the Aperture. It can either be subtle, or complete acid distortion. Really adds character to almost anything.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Maniac
1. Arpitech + Triad on pre-order
2. more LFOs (maybe the AJH dual, STE.16, or QPLFO)
3. the 8106 tonestar or filter

I want some aggressive digital oscillators like Grainy Clamp-It, Soulsby Oscitron, Cursus Iteras, Orgone Accumulator, SSSR Kotelnikov but maybe not for awhile. Still want a Rene, and after some of the recent posts on Grids and the Vermona Midi interface I have those on my list too. And a mixing system eventually.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
whew, i managed to get 4 tracks finished, I actually had 5 done but I'm not sure about track 5 as it's seriously weird modular noodlings..

this one is a bit more grungy and minimal, all one take, tweaking everything live and letting the drums flow..

all modular, recorded into Reason 9.2
I really like your making tracks oriented approach and the tracks sound good! I am starting to write tracks as well coz all i used to do is to fiddle around on gear and i do like the results but rarely recorded full tracks.
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
[*]Tonestar 8106 - I've intended to get this one for a long while but rather than save my money for it, I just blow whatever's in my bank account on something that's available.
It sounds awesome. We made a video but had some difficulties (the cameraman was ill) so it will be up in the coming days.

As for you being moderator of the modular subforum, you should know there's a bit of a faustian bargain: please reduce your lifespan by 10 years.
Just kidding you'd probably make a good moderator. But nothing's concrete yet about this whole idea, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not modular but you can do this on a BSP with ties. It's not as visual as a piano roll but I use them all the time.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Welp, sweetwater added 4ms and intellijel stuff to their stock. They now have a eurorack section as well. RIP my wallet thanks to the 3 seperate payment options.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Not modular but you can do this on a BSP with ties. It's not as visual as a piano roll but I use them all the time.
Likewise it's not too hard with a Sequencer One where you can control gate length from 1 to 100% (TIE). It's a lot of potential control but interface-wise it's definitely not the same as drawing on a piano roll; which in some ways is great and some ways is less than great.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
I chickened out on the e370 kickstarter , Seeing the newly announced e352, I figured I'd be pleased. But the more I look into what it can do, I figure I'll definitely want two of them... but for the price of two of them I could get an E370!. , I contacted pauls last week and he's still got some spots left for e370's, so I'm in. Paid and now waiting. just get an e370, it'll be beautiful!

this was $$ that was supposed to go towards my 'want list'... but how easily we get distracted. the e370 will become unobtanium, but those other modules I'll still be able to get them come year end.
I was very tempted by the 370 as well. Extremely tempted, but the cost and the hp finally convinced me it was a no go.

Having said that, you are going to have a blast with it, and it sounds like it will, as you say, become unobtanium. (although he's hinted at the very slight possibility that additional runs may come out) Either way, I'm quite jealous of you my friend!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search