The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, I almost took the bait on that one. Thankfully before I bid, I decided to do one more search and found that one that was BIN for a little lower than the bid war was going for. That other one sold for some insane amount. Apparently they're just not that common in the US or in Australia, I'm assuming.
the guy who makes them Ginko or whatever won't ship outside of Europe that's why they are hard to get, I'm over it now I've pestered him so many times to send me one I'm sick to death of it, what on earth is so different about posting a module to someone in europe and posting one to someone in Australia, when the buyer pays the postage it's fkin ridiculous imo..

I made a request on muffs for someone to help me get one and one contacted me and said he wants $380 euro for it plus $50 shipping, well sorry but that's close to $500 here no thanks..

anyways Morphagene will be here by the end of the week and I'll have forgotten all about the damned Ginko slicer..
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
the guy who makes them Ginko or whatever won't ship outside of Europe that's why they are hard to get.
That seems... kinda crappy. I don't understand why he wouldn't since it's our money. If he's worried we'll complain about shipping times, just give a disclaimer with every purchase like Uoki-Toki and Meng Qi do. Sure, shipping with those guys takes forever, but at least you know to expect it.

I just barely missed the opportunity to buy a SampleSlicer for cheap from one of my heroes a while back, and that's been irking me. Since then, I stalk his BST threads in case he's unloading something I want so I don't miss it again.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Yeah, clock dividers are great. But you know what's even cooler? Clock dividers into logic. And you know what's even cooler than that? Logic'ed clocks into sequential switches! Oh man. I want more logic in my system. I keep going over to Ladik and building carts, and then my cart gets too big.
Thank you for reminding me, that's another area I'm slacking on. Maths is my only source of logic right now.

...that looks kind of self-deprecating rereading that sentence.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

So I've got this noodle going on in the background where drums, synth, and effects are all being modulated by the A-149-1 and A-149-2. God damn, I love random!!!
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

Random is cool, so officially I've just had 2 weeks off work and only completed 3 tracks, my worst effort ever..they all need videos and rendering yet, I'm back to work tomorrow, lets see if I can get them out and up before then...
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

1 down 3 to go...

all modular here, one big jam, took me a while to set up and then record but came out ok..
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thank you for reminding me, that's another area I'm slacking on. Maths is my only source of logic right now.

...that looks kind of self-deprecating rereading that sentence.
Maths isn't really the best of logic modules either. Animodule makes some nice logic modules on the cheap that are also good at audio rate.

Logic and triggers makes for much less predictable and interesting patterns. And sometimes it's not even a matter of understanding what it's doing so much as patching the one with the coolest blinking light patterns.

Quote:
Random is cool, so officially I've just had 2 weeks off work and only completed 3 tracks, my worst effort ever..they all need videos and rendering yet, I'm back to work tomorrow, lets see if I can get them out and up before then...
No shame in that my friend. I find I'm going in a lot of spurts lately. Build some modules, play with modular, compose with all kinds of different gear, work on mixes, putz with circuits. I usually don't do much more than maybe 2 of those at any given time for maybe a week or so.

I used to be on such a kick of "have to do this" or "have to finish this" that it got to be annoying. Now, some nights I just kick back with my dog and watch TV. Freedom from my own head can be a good thing.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

First track incorporating the macbook as sampler, eurorack jam providing the backbone..
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

aaaand number 3 this one the Tip Top ONE module gets a run..
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

aaaand number 3 this one the Tip Top ONE module gets a run..
I haven't listened to the other two yet, but this one is quite nice, fiddlestickz, I dig it. Wormy in a good way, subtle and delicate but not plain and never boring, I quite like what you're doing here. I'd like to hear a lossless copy, cranked up...

So what all is going on in this one, for instance, if you don't mind sharing? How many tracks / parts, what's doing what?
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
I haven't listened to the other two yet, but this one is quite nice, fiddlestickz, I dig it. Wormy in a good way, subtle and delicate but not plain and never boring, I quite like what you're doing here. I'd like to hear a lossless copy, cranked up...

So what all is going on in this one, for instance, if you don't mind sharing? How many tracks / parts, what's doing what?
there are two kick drums, one is the mutant kick, it's the really boomy dull lo fi sound, the other is the RiDrum module which provides the front end of the kick with it's snap and fast transient. after that we have a bunch of modules all doing their own thing, for instance Braids is doing a particular snare sound that is being modulated by an LFO out of Peaks, and the Basimilus Iteritas is also doing a more clangy snare sound that is being modulated by an LFO also out of Peaks.

Hi hats are Mutant hats, as it's a dual hat module, chan 1 is open hat and chan 2 is closed hat. One chan is being triggered by Robokop sequencer, and the second is being triggered by a faster clock trigger out of 4MS clock distributor. So I have a closed hat pattern doing 8ths and the closed ticks are doing 16ths etc..

Tip Top ONE module is being triggered with a pattern from Robokop, it's also being hit with a sample and hold CV from Vermona fourmulator, which is changing the sounds each step of voltage. Pittsburgh DNA is doing a vowely percussive pattern that is also being modulated by Vermona fourmulator LFO.

Elements is being sent a cv and gate pattern from metropolis with it's own internal reverb on high so you can barely hear this spacey weird percussive sound it's doing every so often. SH 101 is being clocked by 4MS clock distro at a divided down tempo and the pattern is played by hand, a simple two fingered chord and it's being modulated by it's own on board lfo, it's being routed thriough effects & those effects are the Tip Top ZDSP. Bassline is Atlantis being sequenced by metropolis, it's also being effected by the ZDSP. A few things are being filtered by AM Synths Jupiter 8 filter as it has 3 inputs and acts as a mixer and filter, and they are being modulated by yet another LFO from Vermona fourmulator for this weird squelchy movement.

Streams is processing both kicks, one on each chan in mono, it took me a day to set them both up, so both kicks have their own settings now & I don't want to disturb it as I'm stoked with how they sound..

DAW is Reason 9.2, it sends MIDI clock sync out to Robokop sequencer MIDI in, trigger 12 on Robokop is master analog clock for the rest of the system, works well, and that is sent to both metropolis and 4MS clock distributor, distributor sends out 4 variations to different modules, works a treat.

Once it's all set up and sounding great, hit play and record in Reason and away the whole shebang goes, tweak and patch as we go..
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

whew, i managed to get 4 tracks finished, I actually had 5 done but I'm not sure about track 5 as it's seriously weird modular noodlings..

this one is a bit more grungy and minimal, all one take, tweaking everything live and letting the drums flow..

all modular, recorded into Reason 9.2
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

very cool, thank you for sharing.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

She finally arrived........

Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
She finally arrived........
Vermona modules look great, this, the twin modules... they call to me

Last edited by Hokut; 25th April 2017 at 03:08 PM..
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

I love me some Vermona, wish they did more in their euro range, there's a new dual filter that looks cool, going to investigate it down the track..

the build quality is top shelf
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

SMR through Instant Lofi Junky is one of those classic combos...I've actually considered a second so I can run really grungy stereo patches.

Mostly live patch this time because...my back hurt and I didn't feel like pulling cables heh. So I just kept adding.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post

SMR through Instant Lofi Junky is one of those classic combos...I've actually considered a second so I can run really grungy stereo patches.

Mostly live patch this time because...my back hurt and I didn't feel like pulling cables heh. So I just kept adding.
really gave me a memory of the 90's there, I wonder what this would sound like at around 80bpms with a slow break beat, it reminded me of these trippy videos we used to watch while totally lost on acid back in my studio in Holloway road, my mates and I used to watch these sick visual videos over and over on VHS back then to Aphex twin and this track really brought on those memories strongly for me..
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

This arrived today

Old 25th April 2017
Gear Addict

Ambient centered around the ER-301 through two reverbs and two delays. Also Rings, Tides Parasite (two bumps), hihats are white noise through pinged LxD. Percussion pattern is TikTok and G8 clock dividers going through Ladik Bool logic. . Rings and the LxD noise hats are being mixed through M1xxor. Drums are Drum Dokta through Manhattan Analog SVVCF.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Ambient centered around the ER-301 through two reverbs and two delays. Also Rings, Tides Parasite (two bumps), hihats are white noise through pinged LxD. Percussion pattern is TikTok and G8 clock dividers going through Ladik Bool logic. . Rings and the LxD noise hats are being mixed through M1xxor. Drums are Drum Dokta through Manhattan Analog SVVCF.
Nice. I've been enjoying sending my tiptop drums through the Optomix. A LPG really tames the harsher frequencies on the high hat and clap. Also lets me get really short drum sounds when the triggers are multed to strike. Your LxD sounds a bit longer than either of my Optomix channels. I've been considering one of those just to get more vactrol variety.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Nice. I've been enjoying sending my tiptop drums through the Optomix. A LPG really tames the harsher frequencies on the high hat and clap. Also lets me get really short drum sounds when the triggers are multed to strike. Your LxD sounds a bit longer than either of my Optomix channels. I've been considering one of those just to get more vactrol variety.
I was pinging the LxD with an envelope into the strike input. Seems to give a different feel to the same envelope going into the CV input. It goes pretty short if I just use a clock on strike.
Old 25th April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
In addition to what Derp mentioned, there is the Synth Tech E330 which has an FM mode, which I think is very similar to the Modcan FMVDO. Also there is the Happy Nerding FM AID (which is actually phase modulation) but what is great about that one, besides sounding good and being relatively inexpensive, is that it isn't an oscillator, it accepts one or two audio inputs plus a CV input so you can process any sounds through it.
The best advice! Even if it's more a phase than a freq. modulator the possibility to choose car. and input any kind of wave it is probably what I'm looking for.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Vermona modules look great, this, the twin modules... they call to me
Their aesthetic is pure Guinness
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love me some Vermona, wish they did more in their euro range, there's a new dual filter that looks cool, going to investigate it down the track..

the build quality is top shelf
Lovely, i know ill end up with the Fourmulator eventually
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually had 5 done but I'm not sure about track 5 as it's seriously weird modular noodlings..
Post it anyway. I love weird and I'm sure everyone else can at least appreciate it as they may hear something that they'll want to try on their own systems. Lord knows I've stolen plenty of ideas from everybody here as it is.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Another interesting piece of test equipment my brother brought me back from the decommissioned oil rig,
its sends out very accurate small voltages to test measuring equipment, I'm sure it will come in handy in the world of DIY.
I was surprised they still make them today and cost £326.

Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Some very nice recordings post as of late.

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Another interesting piece of test equipment my brother brought me back from the decommissioned oil rig,
its sends out very accurate small voltages to test measuring equipment, I'm sure it will come in handy in the world of DIY.
I was surprised they still make them today and cost £326.

I've been thinking how good this would be for testing circuits. It would actually be very simple to build though - should be just a voltage divider (two low tolerance resistors in series, spec'd for the division you want, then take the output of an electrical path between those resistors) for each desired voltage, based on your +/- 12V supplies. Then you could use a switch to output the desired voltage.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I've been thinking how good this would be for testing circuits. It would actually be very simple to build though - should be just a voltage divider (two low tolerance resistors in series, spec'd for the division you want, then take the output of an electrical path between those resistors) for each desired voltage, based on your +/- 12V supplies. Then you could use a switch to output the desired voltage.
A guy Here did do a teardown.
Old 25th April 2017
Pre-ordered this a week back. Can't bloody wait to get it!

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search