The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madogga View Post
Watch them all go on Ebay to buy this vactrol filter... that wavetable oscillator...
That's pretty much what will happen once you start getting your system together and begin to realize the possibilities. I swore my system was going to be a one row expansion for a Vostok. ...that Vostok and everything else is long gone now.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I've been going through a rut of really "dumb: patches for a couple months now. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I still enjoy wiggling a just as much (I tear down and build a new patch most days) but I'm not happy with any of the output. Then there's the thing that happens to me a lot where I get some great idea and "screw up" the patch...can't seem to go backwards as easily as forward lately I guess. Does this happen to any of you guys?
I'd say most of my patches are really stupid. That's why I'm a big fan of patch-from-scratch. If it sucks, tear it down and start again. If every one of them was a winner, you'd be seeing vids from me every day and I'd be on all of your blocked lists for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Been in kind of a Rings-rut lately. Don't get me wrong Rings is great and everything but it can get samey awfully fast, even with experimental patching.
That's what I go through with Elements. I don't like the sound of that thing unless it's heavy on mallet and strike, and cranking out gongs, bells, and weird drummy thingies. The flute/string/etc. sounds just aren't my thing. That being said, I still totally want to get Rings eventually.

4ms SMR is definitely in the same boat as your Rings, though. I feel like since learning to ping it with Grids, that's all it's really been good for is those eerie child-like bell sounds. I don't really like it when it's being used for its intended purposes.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
What would the morphagene bring to the table if you've got your PC integrated?
(I'm wondering because I'm trying to justify getting one as well)
Modular sampler fanboi here: Things like Phonogene, Scooper, A-112, Nebulae, Radio Music, Grandpa, and even uLoop are fantastic fun. It's one thing to have your computron play back samples (which IS very useful) and quite another to have your samplers subjected to the same sequenced madness that the rest of your system is going through. Circadian Rhythms has become my new best friend since discovering the pattern randomization mode. Sending it into clock dividers, multipiers, sequencers, switches, and flip-flops for weird triggering is a BLAST! You end up doing weird things you wouldn't have throught to do if it was just a sample being played back from the DAW through your modular's effects. Plus the ones that can sample in new material on the fly are fun because you can think of something weird, drop it in, loop it, and keep going.

Phonogene/Morphagene in particular are a lot of fun because they act just like a tape recorder you can get insane with; record something, mangle the hell out of it, spit it back out, etc. I like just feeding it signals from another machine and setting the Phonogene to just randomly rerecord the sounds including what's currently being output, and subjecting the whole thing to splicing and vari-speeding. When I bought the Phonogene, it came the same day as my Ultra Random Analog, and that is just a match made in heaven right there.

Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
crossfade modules.
who has good experiences with them?

I'm open to suggestions or stories of your explorations.
I've got the Doepfer A-134-1 as well. You're right, it doesn't follow typical pan law, so it mostly gets used as an effect here.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I think I'm similar to Celldweller in that i love my Hardware, where we differ is he actually makes some music
If you want to call what he does that...

Personally, I don't understand the hype behind him. Far as I can tell, he's done one unexciting album many years back that he keeps rereleasing, and a couple remixes. I dun get lol
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Yay, I'm caught up now!

So I've been on vacation these last two weeks. First week was pretty frantic, so I didn't get much accomplished musically, and try as I might to just chill the hell out and relax this week, it's been just as frantic. The moments I've had to just chill out and make some noise, I've committed to doing a soundtrack for this book that I wrote and might get published later this year. The last time I tried to do an ambient kinda thing, I had much less gear to work with, and only one weekend to do it in, and I'm still surprised that one came out as good as it did. This time around, I'm taking my time to try to make something more atmospheric and moody and I'm recording it to 4-track tape before doing the mastering. I've had a lot of fun just in the few tracks I've come up with so far and hopefully I can round this project out by the end of next month assuming things finally start to calm the hell down at home.

In the meantime, getting the Zlob Clock Divider, SSF URA, Circadian Rhythms, and ERD/SIR, and experimenting with generative synthesis has really opened up my eyes to some weird possibilities I hadn't considered before. A couple more clock dividers are still on my radar, but in the meantime I've kind of fallen in love with all things random. Wogglebug is still on the long-term radar, but I snagged a set of these for cheap on the 'bay:

Also wanted more envelopes so I got one of these on the way as well since it was cheap and had a pair of VCA's in it as well:

Also, something that's been on my radar for a long time might be within my reach very shortly. When Fiddlestickz tells his secret instrument, I'll tell mine.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I guess you guys have no love for Yarns. Configure it and save the preset and it's pretty much, set and forget. I just wish it had a couple more jacks so you could control four voices, instead of two while getting clock outputs at the same time.
I sold mine yesterday and bought the Synthrotek module with the money, I need a USB connection and loop through with analog clock to MIDI and vice versa..
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Happy holidays Derp, I'm about to finish up 2 weeks of holidays myself, back to work on Wednesday after 2 weeks off, goes so fast don't it, and you know I got nothing done musically really either, wrote two tracks and they still have work to be done on them..
Old 23rd April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
There's a couple oddball FM modules out there. Akemie's Castle is kind of expensive for what it is, but at least it's a genuine Yamaha chip, so I like messing around with that one. Generator isn't really an FM synth as we generally accept FM to be, though. That's why Generator is really kind of unstable since it's an analog design. Great little sequenced noise module, or for creating drones, but doesn't really get that Yamaha FM bell/bass sound. I think the main reason you don't see many FM modules out there though is that you can get pretty good FM sounds by patching different oscillators into each other. As long as you've got plenty of sine waves, VCA's, and envelopes, you can get some cool tones:

Two osc ( vca included ) each operator x 4 operators, add a mixer and another osc to keep all in tune
How much!? Akemi is CHEAPER!
My possible targhet remains: IMO there is no sense reproducing old school sound with modern issues but moving throuh new experimentations to new, modern sounds and rythms ( odd ones for ex ). So what about modulating in FM a shape... through real FM ( the encoding of information in a carrier wave by varying the instantaneous frequency of the wave ) generators. Who has produced these module-generators?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
Two osc ( vca included ) each operator x 4 operators, add a mixer and another osc to keep all in tune
How much!? Akemi is CHEAPER!
My possible targhet remains: IMO there is no sense reproducing old school sound with modern issues but moving throuh new experimentations to new, modern sounds and rythms ( odd ones for ex ). So what about modulating in FM a shape... through real FM ( the encoding of information in a carrier wave by varying the instantaneous frequency of the wave ) generators. Who has produced these module-generators?
Well, building your own FM voice is cheaper in the sense that you'll probably end up pretty close to it anyway in the course of your modular exploration. As far as FM'ing things besides frequency, the capability is already there; just connect an oscillator to filter cutoff, waveshapers, VCA, effect depth, whatever you wish.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, something that's been on my radar for a long time might be within my reach very shortly.

I was starting to think I'd never find one of these, and then a pair of them showed up on eBay. While everybody was busy engaging in a bid war for one, I took the Buy-It-Now price of the other. Short as this video is, this sold me a long time ago:

I LOVE SAMPLERS!!!
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

I was starting to think I'd never find one of these, and then a pair of them showed up on eBay. While everybody was busy engaging in a bid war for one, I took the Buy-It-Now price of the other. Short as this video is, this sold me a long time ago:

I LOVE SAMPLERS!!!
My alarm went off at 1 am this morning to check in on the ebay bids for one, I started to see insanity occurring so went back to bed..
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Now I have wogglebug and west cost random, all my randomness is sorted..

Morphagene comes later in the week..
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I LOVE SAMPLERS!!!
I know it's power-hungry if you run it off euro power, but do you have an AIRA Scooper? If not - you need one!
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I LOVE SAMPLERS!!!
That's exactly what the Krammer firmware for Clouds does.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
My alarm went off at 1 am this morning to check in on the ebay bids for one, I started to see insanity occurring so went back to bed..
Yeah, I almost took the bait on that one. Thankfully before I bid, I decided to do one more search and found that one that was BIN for a little lower than the bid war was going for. That other one sold for some insane amount. Apparently they're just not that common in the US or in Australia, I'm assuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I know it's power-hungry if you run it off euro power, but do you have an AIRA Scooper? If not - you need one!
Oh-ho-ho! Yeah, I've got one. I bought one early on to replace my KP3. I was sorely disappointed when I found out you couldn't do the Scatter effects on live audio, but it's still managed to become a heavily used module for me. Two LFO's modulating each other controlling the type and depth controls, and gate-synced start and stop just make it too awesome. I'll often engage it when I'm ready to drop in a new part on the patch, bring the new part in the way I want it, hit the stop button, and do some extreme wiggling while I wait for the loop to end. Brilliant device!

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That's exactly what the Krammer firmware for Clouds does.
That's actually really good news for me because Krammer overwrites everything that Clouds/Parasites can do, and I've really gotten attached to Oliverb. I was entertaining myself last night just making drones and sending them through Oliverb. So this was cheaper than buying a second Clouds.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's actually really good news for me because Krammer overwrites everything that Clouds/Parasites can do, and I've really gotten attached to Oliverb. I was entertaining myself last night just making drones and sending them through Oliverb. So this was cheaper than buying a second Clouds.
The latest version of Krammerl moves Oliverb back to pre-mix and replaces the distortion with it in beat repeat mode. It's still not a true Oliverb mode, but brings back one of the big (and useful IMHO) changes from Parasites.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Made an ambient track yesterday featuring ER-301 a lot. Thing is pretty crazy in pre-release OS. Once Brian gets going into his intended feature list it going to be a monster.

Yeah, clock dividers are great. But you know what's even cooler? Clock dividers into logic. And you know what's even cooler than that? Logic'ed clocks into sequential switches! Oh man. I want more logic in my system. I keep going over to Ladik and building carts, and then my cart gets too big.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Made an ambient track yesterday featuring ER-301 a lot. Thing is pretty crazy in pre-release OS. Once Brian gets going into his intended feature list it going to be a monster.

Yeah, clock dividers are great. But you know what's even cooler? Clock dividers into logic. And you know what's even cooler than that? Logic'ed clocks into sequential switches! Oh man. I want more logic in my system. I keep going over to Ladik and building carts, and then my cart gets too big.
Don't forget dividers into multipliers or vice versa. Take an odd multiplier into a division, then into logic with a different odd combination or switches
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, clock dividers are great.
they are great, but when you ÷16 or ÷8 and it's too slow for your LFO to track...

ok, all this clouds talk is inspiring me to upgrade mine

the warning about bricking is frighting though, but mine's got a good serial right?
Quote:
If your module has a serial number that ends with number less than 020, you should contact Mutable Instruments: your Clouds might have a faulty bootloader which could brick the unit if you try to update it.

what's this Krammerl ? I can't find any documentation on it..
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
they are great, but when you ÷16 or ÷8 and it's too slow for your LFO to track...

ok, all this clouds talk is inspiring me to upgrade mine

the warning about bricking is frighting though, but mine's got a good serial right?

what's this Krammerl ? I can't find any documentation on it..
Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
...Then you need you clock divider to trigger a spare envelope, and if its the wrong shape, invert and slew it. One could use say... (oh god i hate myself) Maths. sigh.

Another clock divider target I use frequently is channel trigger for a switch. If you used offset into a switched input (again, possibly with a slew), you could get some long control shapes.

Actually, as I think of it, you could use both of these ideas in tandem with an inverter if you needed a needed a negative going (envelope-as-) "LFO." Clock divider multed to channel input on switch, and long envelope. Envelope multed to switch input 1 and inverter; inverter to switch input 2. Switch output whereever you need your "LFO" to go.

I guess another way to go would be to trigger a long envelope on Maths, and then use the end of cycle to trigger the other enveloping channel and turn its attenuverter full CCW, and use the mixed output.

Last edited by apropos of noth; 24th April 2017 at 08:40 PM..
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Then you need you clock divider to trigger a spare envelope, and if its the wrong shape, invert and slew it. One could use say... (oh god i hate myself) Maths. sigh.

Another clock divider target I use frequently is channel trigger for a switch. If you used offset into a switched input (again, possibly with a slew), you could get some long control shapes.

Actually, as I think of it, you could use both of these ideas in tandem with an inverter if you needed a needed a negative going (envelope-as-) "LFO." Clock divider multed to channel input on switch, and long envelope. Envelope multed to switch input 1 and inverter; inverter to switch input 2. Switch output whereever you need your "LFO" to go.

I guess another way to go would be to trigger a long envelope on Maths, and then use the end of cycle to trigger the other enveloping channel and turn its attenuverter full CCW, and use the mixed output.
when it gets complicated like that I'll just do it in my DAW with expert sleepers. I got a fourmulator and a batumi that are both clockable... but there's a limit to the minimum clock speed they'll take. the batumi will divide down to 32, but getting the phase right in divide mode is a start-restart luck. fourmulator divides down by 4.

Last edited by oinkbanana; 24th April 2017 at 10:07 PM..
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
when it gets complicated like that I'll just do it in my DAW with expert sleepers
Would you mind expanding upon this? I'm just getting into Modular, and my current setup is based around a PC laptop and Live 9.x, OTB mixer, various pieces of outboard gear and instruments, and I am particularly interested in scenarios where Modular and DAWs intersect, and the whys and hows and pros/cons of all that. Which Expert Sleepers, doing what exactly, and how, please?
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
No many modules for FM ( Modcan-FMVDO / Pittsburg-Modular Generator ) or other included ( say Mutable ).
In addition to what Derp mentioned, there is the Synth Tech E330 which has an FM mode, which I think is very similar to the Modcan FMVDO. Also there is the Happy Nerding FM AID (which is actually phase modulation) but what is great about that one, besides sounding good and being relatively inexpensive, is that it isn't an oscillator, it accepts one or two audio inputs plus a CV input so you can process any sounds through it.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Don't think I saw this posted before
Bastl Instruments new Alluminum Panels !!! New look available from May

Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Would you mind expanding upon this? I'm just getting into Modular, and my current setup is based around a PC laptop and Live 9.x, OTB mixer, various pieces of outboard gear and instruments, and I am particularly interested in scenarios where Modular and DAWs intersect, and the whys and hows and pros/cons of all that. Which Expert Sleepers, doing what exactly, and how, please?
I have an ES-3 module, that lets me output eight cv signals from my DAW using the expert sleepers software.
In this scenario I'm talking about using LFO speeds that are very slow, ex: let say you want to a very slow sweep of the filter frequency to last the entire phrase - 4 full bars, in sync. with expert sleepers software I can VERY easily do this in my DAW. Make a track with the output one of the ES-3 channels, insert the expert sleepers LFO plugin on the channel, set the settings, run track - done.
Making long LFO's like this in modular that sync isn't always as simple. Your clock sends a signal on every beat. If you want your LFO to be 16 bests long (4 bars of 4 beats) you can either divide your clock using clock dividers or hope your LFO can divide itself. My batumi can divide by 16 but in divide mode I can't chose the phase of the LFO. My Performer can only divide by 4 so I'd have to use an external clock divider to get to 16. if the original bpm was 100bpm, after I divide be 4 I'm expecting my Fourmulator to respond to a clock of 25bpm, it won't. (I think the slowest it'll read is 30bpm). So depending on how slow your clock is, the module might not read the very slow clock speed and you won't be in sync.
Apropos of noth was suggesting alternatives to getting SLOW LFO's that could easily last 4 bars and be in sync using clock dividers and envelopes. They're neat tricks to learn and requires a good understanding of what's going on with the modules, but you'd have to weigh the value of using those modules for those jobs in your patch. I've got my maths doing other things - I'll just fire up the daw and use expert sleepers.
This summer I plan on buying an Octocontroller for even more control in my modular of sync'd LFOs.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Don't think I saw this posted before
Bastl Instruments new Alluminum Panels !!! New look available from May

finally. too many people (me included) won't put the wood in their rack, just too ugly.
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
snip

Thank you much... it's all very useful and insightful information.

(...adds ES-3 to growing list of modules I'd like to have...along with FM AID...)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search