The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I like these Befaco new mixer modules.
But in the video they do not mention ETA or price.

Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

wow those are crazy nice, I'm a sucker for euro mixers..
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Tactile wise this looks old school

Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I was doing some real head scratching on how to get the macbook air into the modular system as though it were just another module, so that meant I have only a USB 3 port to use on the macbook air and that's it, with the synthrotek module I can send MIDI out from my DAW in my main computer, and that info is available at the USB port to slave my macbook to and the MIDI out on the synthrotek can go to my Robokop which then sends analog clock to everything else, the Synthrotek does this mad loop thru of clock and MIDI data that is perfect for what I want.. not to mention it also has it's own analog clock out and in should you wish to switch the sync slave relationship around..
Since I know you recently sold off some Expert Sleepers modules that would probably facilitate your "MBA as sampler" approach...do you miss them? Just messing around with my Ultralite and Reaktor I'm thinking more and more about ways to integrate the computer with the modular, especially for sampling and sending CV between them. Just being able to send audio and CV out from the computer to the modular is awesome, but there's a Block or two in the Reaktor User Library with interesting CV inputs (I'm being a bit lazy, but there's at least one in Michael Hetrick's brilliant Euro Reakt collection with FM input on a sample Block which can yield all sorts of nuttiness), and that alone makes me want to spend stupid money on sending CV back into the computer, and maybe even rethink my plans a bit as far as the types of modules I buy, although not necessarily on an analog/digital divide.
Old 22nd April 2017
Well, my Rossum Control Forge arrived today... this is my first, quick, exploratory test of this amazingly powerful module... five minutes after unboxing and installing; haven't read the manual yet, just going through a few of the presets. I'm basically just using the Control Forge as a Sequencer, and as a Looping Envelope Generator... I haven't even scratched the surface of what all the Control Forge can do!

Patch Notes are in the description of the video...

Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

This as close to my working system as I've seen anyone else , it's flawless and I can't believe I waited so long to get Reason 9.2.. all that lovely cv and gate coming out of Reason is a joy..
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Since I know you recently sold off some Expert Sleepers modules that would probably facilitate your "MBA as sampler" approach...do you miss them? Just messing around with my Ultralite and Reaktor I'm thinking more and more about ways to integrate the computer with the modular, especially for sampling and sending CV between them. Just being able to send audio and CV out from the computer to the modular is awesome, but there's a Block or two in the Reaktor User Library with interesting CV inputs (I'm being a bit lazy, but there's at least one in Michael Hetrick's brilliant Euro Reakt collection with FM input on a sample Block which can yield all sorts of nuttiness), and that alone makes me want to spend stupid money on sending CV back into the computer, and maybe even rethink my plans a bit as far as the types of modules I buy, although not necessarily on an analog/digital divide.
No don't miss them, I just got it wrong and thought about it all the wrong way, this time I have it right and will be sorted, I have no need to use the silent way rack extension anymore all I need is the synthrotek module and everything else will fall into place just like in the video I posted above..

happy days..
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Tactile wise this looks old school

very cool, it's like an MPC/Cirklon interface for modular, I love the triggers and clocks etc, it's probably a bit better spec'd than my Robokop..
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
wow those are crazy nice, I'm a sucker for euro mixers..
Have you guys seen the new Xaoc Praga mixer? It's actually got me considering it...
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear
FM

First of all let me thanks for your advices about MiDi Interfaces.
Now general:
No many modules for FM ( Modcan-FMVDO / Pittsburg-Modular Generator )
or other included ( say Mutable ).
Why not so wide choice? Probably the chips're not stable
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
I guess the Synthrotek is similar to the vermona QMI2 i ordered that should of arrived last thursday
Nope. I've owned it and it's not nearly as good. Never worked right with my setup over din or USB. My buddy asked me why it has a reset button on it and then he joked that it needs a rest button. Fact is even the slowest simplest sequence forms DAW or my Octatrack locked it up after 1 loop almost 100% of the time. Sad because I love those guys, so don't think I'm bashing them. That module though....
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post

Exactly what I'm looking for in a euro mixer, EQs!
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Nope. I've owned it and it's not nearly as good. Never worked right with my setup over din or USB. My buddy asked me why it has a reset button on it and then he joked that it needs a rest button. Fact is even the slowest simplest sequence forms DAW or my Octatrack locked it up after 1 loop almost 100% of the time. Sad because I love those guys, so don't think I'm bashing them. That module though....
I guess you guys have no love for Yarns. Configure it and save the preset and it's pretty much, set and forget. I just wish it had a couple more jacks so you could control four voices, instead of two while getting clock outputs at the same time.
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
I guess you guys have no love for Yarns. Configure it and save the preset and it's pretty much, set and forget. I just wish it had a couple more jacks so you could control four voices, instead of two while getting clock outputs at the same time.
Too menu-divey for my tastes. I'm sure it's fantastic.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly what I'm looking for in a euro mixer, EQs!
Yes I got a couple of EQs and Fixed filter banks modules from Ladik, Only had a chance to test them out some time ago when they arrived, then I started (and not yet finished) working on my DIY acoustic treatment of the room so I haven used the modular in a while... but I got them because there was no mixer with EQ in modular format.

This Befaco may be the ticket
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
I just wish it had a couple more jacks so you could control four voices
Missed this before. One of the reasons why I ended up with the Vermona.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Have you guys seen the new Xaoc Praga mixer? It's actually got me considering it...
yes I saw a super booth video of it... here

I like xaoc look. The color scheme and the big knobs. As a new mixer the Befaco has more of what I was looking for but so far I don't know the price of either and who know which has has a bettie quality audio signal path. Therefore hard to compare right now

Last edited by Hokut; 22nd April 2017 at 08:02 PM..
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Soz off the Superbooth subject.

I thought I'd try these as a cheap mult option. I'm finding I am using 1 channel per osc. voice of Intellijel dual ADSR when I only need 2 voices controlled by 1 channel and then I could use the other one for the filter or something else. Seems like a good cheap solution.

The Modular Thread 2017Male to Double 2 Female Aux Audio Stereo Jack Connector Splitter Adapter 3.5mm | eBay

The Modular Thread 2017http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Y-Sp...EAAOSwH6lXQq2n
The Modular Thread 2017http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-way-3-5m...8AAOSwCGVX~4K2
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Well it will be going straight back if it does that to me...sounds like the MIDI was overloading it and needed to be filtered..? I'll only be looking to send clock out so hopefully I don't encounter those issues..
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

hard not to gas for their new range, love the color change from red to black also..
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

well I'm gonna rave about the Xaoc kamieniec. throw a slow complex wave form into the external mod... wow! so nice.
and the Belgrade. the driving that filter is so righteous. not too pleased about the looseness of the filter select shaft though - I'm gonna try to find out if they're all like that or just mine.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Addict

Woah that ADDAC mixer is pretty full on. I like that you can relocate the I/o panel to keep the cabling away from the controls. The Xaoc mixer looked cool too (said my wallet).
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess you guys have no love for Yarns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTNofH6DAJz/

Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Ears was already on my shopping list, but that just bumped it up a few spots. And I think I actually have a non-phantom powered mic with a 1/4" TS output I could experiment with, and I have a small spare mixer around as well. Great ideas here, cheers!
If you're looking into that type of solution, check out Music Thing Mikrophonie. DIY, they're super cheap, and if you're not building it yourself, they show up on eBay all the time prebuilt. Even not using it as a trigger module, it's a lot of fun using the built-in piezo. I like to send it through heavy reverb and slap the side of my case. Make a nice thunderous tone.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Behringer MiniMoog Model.
Just had a listen to that on the monitors. ...that sounds DAMN close to the real thing. It's officially made the wishlist.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
How many of you use cable holders? I bought two to go on each side of my rack, but find it's far too much of a pain in the arse when I tear down a patch to put them all back in the holder. So they just get piled up on top of my Rhodes next to my rack.
I had the Koma one when I first started up and the system hadn't gotten giant yet. Aside from the fact that it always got caught on my belt loop when I walk by, I found myself never using it. I've just been using one of those big cloth-covered boxes from Walmart to hold my cables. It means that they're all mixed up, but I know what colors to look for when I'm after specific lengths, so it's mostly livable.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
First of all let me thanks for your advices about MiDi Interfaces.
Now general:
No many modules for FM ( Modcan-FMVDO / Pittsburg-Modular Generator )
or other included ( say Mutable ).
Why not so wide choice? Probably the chips're not stable
There's a couple oddball FM modules out there. Akemie's Castle is kind of expensive for what it is, but at least it's a genuine Yamaha chip, so I like messing around with that one. Generator isn't really an FM synth as we generally accept FM to be, though. That's why Generator is really kind of unstable since it's an analog design. Great little sequenced noise module, or for creating drones, but doesn't really get that Yamaha FM bell/bass sound. I think the main reason you don't see many FM modules out there though is that you can get pretty good FM sounds by patching different oscillators into each other. As long as you've got plenty of sine waves, VCA's, and envelopes, you can get some cool tones:

Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are you guys finding your Tiptip ZDSP/Halls of Valhalla ?

Does it get used much ?

Is it worth the purchase ?

can it be used in mono, if so does it sound good ? In mono can you send in two separate sounds (one to each channel) and tweak them separately?
I still need to get Halls of Valhalla, but it hasn't been much of a priority since Clouds/Parasites has such a glorious reverb, and I've got other reverb modules in place. The cards I do have Dragonfly Delays and Clocked Delay. Clocked delay sounds cooler than it actually is because you can't just send it your basic sixteenth note clock, it only responds to quarter note gates. And the end result isn't as nice as just fighting with the delay time on a BBD delay.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaofisher View Post
Trying to send notes from my external seq into my Eurorack modular. Too many modules to choose! Any suggestions from you, GURUS: latency, jitters, mechanical breakdown!?
Opened to disapproval: use an internal one!
( Intellijel µMIDI / EricaSynths MIDI to Clock V2 / MI Yarns/ Etc....... )
I think that MI Yarns and Erica MIDI-TRIGG is a good combo. The Erica module handles clock, reset, and percussion channels for me while I commit the Yarns to four CV/Gate channels. ...though usually I keep Yarns in oscillator mode because that is super cool to have digital oscillators that are pitch-perfect no matter what.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Derp - this is insane!!! So freaking cool.

It sounds like it could be a late 80's track off WaxTrax or Nettwerk.
That is the coolest compliment that I could ever receive. Totally not what I was going for, but I'll take it!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search