The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Though I'm not in the market for yet another sequencer, I love the design aesthetic on Erica Synth's now drum box from Super Booth.

https://www.facebook.com/ericasynths...6762489007363/
Yes I can't wait to know more about this one. Hopefully some good video tomorrow and hopefully it is not 12 months away from being finished
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Yes I can't wait to know more about this one. Hopefully some good video tomorrow and hopefully it is not 12 months away from being finished
I was thinking, if they put Cherry MX switches under those caps, I may have to reconsider my "no new sequencers" stance.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

took me too long to get a cable holder. now I feel like a legit wiggler.

also grabbed these, should juice things up.

I love the xaoc devices kamieniec phaser. The ability to turn the internal LFO off and run if off an external mod. I want more analog eurorack modulations with external mod cv control.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
okay done this using two very similar Blue lantern oscillators, using a square wave out from each, the fade or blend is very smooth and there are no artifacts, it's really a cool way to tune two oscillators, so damn immediate and easy. When a single osc output is multi'd up and split into the inputs it's loudest at the cross over at midday, and sounds a tad softer at far left far right, overall the transitions using both ways is very smooth and there are no glitches or stepping I could hear..
at the store today I tried it out (they had it in stock ), but I think the one they had was broken so I didn't get it. The A led wouldn't light up.
I also think I fundamentally don't understand this module. I expected to cv control the blend, but I couldn't get any of the crossfading by inserting an LFO - not in the A-fade for 1&2, not in the B-fade of 3&4, not in the x-fade for A&B
Old 20th April 2017
WARNING: Highly Experimental Granular Microsound stuff ahead!

Also, one thing I am wanting to add to this setup is the new Tiptop Audio Fold Processor; specifically for the 4MS SMR. Do any of you have that combination? If so, care to post a video of how it sounds with the SMR Odds/Evens output going into the two inputs of the Fold?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
WARNING: Highly Experimental Granular Microsound stuff ahead!

genshi, that sounds absolutely fantastic. SRM and the morphagene are on the top of my want list, but i'm gonna wait till later this summer, more utilities first.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Old skool..

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Nice little sequencer at Superbooth.
Eight tracks each with CV Gate and many interesting options like ratcheting, gate length, probability, track shifting, etc.

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I've had an on/off project with a really talented drummer for a few years, and he just told me he's moving back here, so that means we will be jamming and hopefully playing out live again. In the past, we've messed around with various options with ways he could trigger my gear from his acoustic drum kit, such as contact mics to triggers to midi or a janky cheap Simmons electronic kit to my MDUW, but now that I'm immersed in modular I'm thinking about ways he could trigger my modular from his drum kit. In doing a bit of research I came up fairly short with a single Muffs thread and a quick video or two. Anyone here attempted anything like this? I feel like there's some combo of contact mics and envelope followers that could make for some really interesting stuff, but I'd be very interested in any suggestions.
I wonder if going a bit more "traditional" with this might not be something to think about - sounds like a lot of mikrophonies/envelope followers or whatever - you're going to need one per drum. I have a yamaha DTS70 that has 12 (effectively audio) drum-trigger ins and cv-trigger outs. I actually use it to derive triggers from old drum machines with individual audio outs rather than actual drums. As it was made for this purpose it also has features to avoid double-triggering or channel bleed which you might struggle with with general-purpose modules. It actually has a very sophisticated midi section too, but looking in this sort of category rather than eurorack specific might turn up something similar with less focus on midi. (I also have a BIAS MXD for example, but not even google knows what that is)

Anther thought of course is to go with midi - not sure why that didn't work out for you before, but there's the Erica synths midi to trigger module that will give you eight outs in 10(?)HP. Still would require some kind of initial conversion to midi though, so possibly back to the dts70 or equivalent anyway, unless you looked into a midi-based drum pad system (eg roland octopad) rather than acoustics with contact mics.

Actually as I don't get to talk about the dts70 often, might as well touch on the midi a bit more if anyone's interested... the triggers can actually be converted to send up to 4 midi messages per hit, or can do velocity-based crossfading between messages or round-robin them. It can store, I think, about 50 different setups and these setups can also be linked in a sequence that you can step though... there's a foot-switvj input for this, so imagine you could even use the modular itself to do the stepping.... anyway can be quite an interesting box to go out from the modular too - not only in the sense of being able to play/record eg euclidean based sequence stuff to midi, but in getting triggers from any audio output too...
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

It doesn't get much more modular Gearslutz-ier than this!

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
What do you think of the Belgrad? I'm not holding out for a Three Sisters at this point, and I really like the sounds I'm hearing out of the Belgrad (and Xaoc have impressed the hell out of my with the Batumi).
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Thats the Jacks sorted for a few more projects,

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you think of the Belgrad? I'm not holding out for a Three Sisters at this point, and I really like the sounds I'm hearing out of the Belgrad (and Xaoc have impressed the hell out of my with the Batumi).
it makes cool sounds, no question there. still figuring out how to control it, stuck on treating it like a dual filter when something completely different.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
took me too long to get a cable holder. now I feel like a legit wiggler.

also grabbed these, should juice things up.

I love the xaoc devices kamieniec phaser. The ability to turn the internal LFO off and run if off an external mod. I want more analog eurorack modulations with external mod cv control.
Where did you get that standing cable holder? I have no wall space so I have just been keeping mine in a drawer
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
it makes cool sounds, no question there. still figuring out how to control it, stuck on treating it like a dual filter when something completely different.
After checking out more videos on it, I'm pretty much sold. Still want the Bastl Cinnamon tho, so I think the only solution is to get both
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Looking through the Superbooth '17 and like the Behringer DM desktop, 6 voice and MiniMoog Model. The Doepfer Quad VCO looks good and hopefully they will finally release the Poly CV/midi interface.

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Where did you get that standing cable holder? I have no wall space so I have just been keeping mine in a drawer
That looks like the Synthrotek cable holder on top of a cheap mic stand from Amazon. The same thing I have.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

How many of you use cable holders? I bought two to go on each side of my rack, but find it's far too much of a pain in the arse when I tear down a patch to put them all back in the holder. So they just get piled up on top of my Rhodes next to my rack.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Sold a couple more modules I wasn't using or interested in yesterday, Clouds and Grids, I just found nothing inspirational about either so sold them, as far as Mutable instruments modules goes Elements and Braids are their best ones imo, Streams is very cool too, anyways so I used the money made to buy a couple very interesting modules, The Sputnik west coast random and Synthrotek USB/MIDI to cv/.gate/clock etc, I tell you this Synthrotek module is going to open all the doors for me, macbook air can now be fully implemented into the modular with this neat and clever module..

MST MIDI to CV Converter | Synthrotek

now I'll be able to treat the macbook as another instrument in the chain..
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
How many of you use cable holders? I bought two to go on each side of my rack, but find it's far too much of a pain in the arse when I tear down a patch to put them all back in the holder. So they just get piled up on top of my Rhodes next to my rack.
I have a Pomona one the orange one and it's screwed to the door in my room, I never do tear downs so don't have to worry about putting them all back, it's just a rack for spare cables really that get used when trying something then put back, most of my system is perma patch stuff now..drums and bass etc..
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I use a few of the Pomona holders attached to the wall (two for 3.5mm and one for 1/4" cables for my patchbay) and I find them really essential, even if they are usually empty and only get filled up just to be emptied again. I just find it helps me to have my cable options laid out and neat so I don't have to break my momentum to find the right cable.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Perhaps because I patch, play with the patch, then tear down pretty much the whole thing, I find it too annoying. It takes a bit of time to take twenty or thirty patch chords as it is, then when trying to put them all in the holder...I just want to patch something else!
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
That looks like the Synthrotek cable holder on top of a cheap mic stand from Amazon. The same thing I have.
exactly!
but I was expecting the cable holder to screw into the mic stand - instead it just sits there loose. I had to use a micstand size converter to bolt it into place.

Quote:
I use a few of the Pomona holders attached to the wall (two for 3.5mm and one for 1/4" cables for my patchbay) and I find them really essential, even if they are usually empty and only get filled up just to be emptied again. I just find it helps me to have my cable options laid out and neat so I don't have to break my momentum to find the right cable.
exactly! they used to just pile on a horizontal bar of the mic stand and all the sizes would get mixed up. I enjoy tearing down to start from scratch every time.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sold a couple more modules I wasn't using or interested in yesterday, Clouds and Grids, I just found nothing inspirational about either so sold them, as far as Mutable instruments modules goes Elements and Braids are their best ones imo, Streams is very cool too, anyways so I used the money made to buy a couple very interesting modules, The Sputnik west coast random and Synthrotek USB/MIDI to cv/.gate/clock etc, I tell you this Synthrotek module is going to open all the doors for me, macbook air can now be fully implemented into the modular with this neat and clever module..

Best you didn't try the Kammer firmware on Clouds. I love that thing. Spent the morning getting some drum loops in order for the Disting and have been making crazy, industrial noise patches all day.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
I wonder if going a bit more "traditional" with this might not be something to think about - sounds like a lot of mikrophonies/envelope followers or whatever - you're going to need one per drum. I have a yamaha DTS70 that has 12 (effectively audio) drum-trigger ins and cv-trigger outs. I actually use it to derive triggers from old drum machines with individual audio outs rather than actual drums. As it was made for this purpose it also has features to avoid double-triggering or channel bleed which you might struggle with with general-purpose modules. It actually has a very sophisticated midi section too, but looking in this sort of category rather than eurorack specific might turn up something similar with less focus on midi. (I also have a BIAS MXD for example, but not even google knows what that is)

Anther thought of course is to go with midi - not sure why that didn't work out for you before, but there's the Erica synths midi to trigger module that will give you eight outs in 10(?)HP. Still would require some kind of initial conversion to midi though, so possibly back to the dts70 or equivalent anyway, unless you looked into a midi-based drum pad system (eg roland octopad) rather than acoustics with contact mics.

Actually as I don't get to talk about the dts70 often, might as well touch on the midi a bit more if anyone's interested... the triggers can actually be converted to send up to 4 midi messages per hit, or can do velocity-based crossfading between messages or round-robin them. It can store, I think, about 50 different setups and these setups can also be linked in a sequence that you can step though... there's a foot-switvj input for this, so imagine you could even use the modular itself to do the stepping.... anyway can be quite an interesting box to go out from the modular too - not only in the sense of being able to play/record eg euclidean based sequence stuff to midi, but in getting triggers from any audio output too...

You bring up some good points. First, I should mention that when we were doing this a couple of years ago we had no issues with sending triggers from the drum brain of the Simmons to my MDUW. I didn't fixate on that much for two reasons: 1) as I was recalling, he's borrowing that kit indefinitely and I wasn't sure if he still had it (he does, but apparently needs a new snake for it), and 2) because of what I've since been learning thanks to studying modular I was thinking more in the sense of triggers, envelope followers, etc. This project has always been about melding organic and acoustic sounds with electronic noise and heavy experimentation, and while I did frame my questions before in the context of drums and triggers, we've always done a lot with running "real" sounds through FX to alter them, and coming at things now from a more modular viewpoint some of those lines between "real" and digital and audio and control blur in ways that I wouldn't have previously considered. So, I'm also thinking about ways we could use things like hand drums or kalimba etc into a modular to create some interesting setups that would play well.

I looked into the Yamaha DTS70 on your recommendation, but it looks to be a rare bird as I couldn't find any for sale or any sold to gauge a price on. From what I can tell, it does seem like a great option and I'll keep an eye out because I can see it being useful in many ways.

Also worth noting-Bastl just showed a new module at Superbooth, Kong, which is designed to take triggers from drum pads into modular madness for just a bit over $100. If I didn't know better I'd start thinking Bastl hired Russian hackers to read my thoughts, because that's pretty spot-on for my needs at the moment.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I like the look of these Buchla modules that Grayscale will be releasing.

The 2x Braids in one module looks superb, hope he plans some Euro ones (although size would be an issue)

Thread is Here

Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjools View Post
Looking through the Superbooth '17 and like the Behringer DM desktop, 6 voice and MiniMoog Model. The Doepfer Quad VCO looks good and hopefully they will finally release the Poly CV/midi interface.

All the things you mention are the things that caught my eye too

$399 for the Moog

Im guessing the Doepfer Quad will be a bit more expensive than the usual Doepfer stuff due to 4 x £15 chips.

That Novation Peak looks/sounds superb too.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

The Novation Peak is the best sounding new synth to come on the market since the Deepmind imo, leaving aside the Quantum and Behringer D as neither have really had proper deep demos to listen to, the jury is till out on both, having said that the D is going in one of my cases without question, can't wait to send some metropolis notes to that bad boy..
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I guess the Synthrotek is similar to the vermona QMI2 i ordered that should of arrived last thursday
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I guess the Synthrotek is similar to the vermona QMI2 i ordered that should of arrived last thursday
I was doing some real head scratching on how to get the macbook air into the modular system as though it were just another module, so that meant I have only a USB 3 port to use on the macbook air and that's it, with the synthrotek module I can send MIDI out from my DAW in my main computer, and that info is available at the USB port to slave my macbook to and the MIDI out on the synthrotek can go to my Robokop which then sends analog clock to everything else, the Synthrotek does this mad loop thru of clock and MIDI data that is perfect for what I want.. not to mention it also has it's own analog clock out and in should you wish to switch the sync slave relationship around..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search