The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Modular Thread 2017 Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You can't post this seconds after i ordered a Vermona QUI2, thats the height of cruelty
Two totally different animals IMO. Notice the lack of screen on the Vermona? The Dial, buttons, and a few LEDs is the whole enchilada. Consequently, it's simple to use, easy to remember what does what (I have issues with some modules in this respect), and you can play this module "live" if that makes sense. The buttons for changing the 3 different clocks to 4 different divisions beg to be tapped in time with the music. Changing from M1 to M2 to Poly can produce some amazing "happy accidents" with the right setup. You could easily be sending multiple (4 per channel) midi CC's and switch between them on the fly with the dial and buttons, the whole thing is a sort of matrix point

Just based on appearance the one Hokut posted looks like it's about 10x more programmable and probably has 10x more capability in the end, but the module looks even bigger than the QMI and is obviously a menu-diver in the worst way. I get why some would prefer it but I just can't do it anymore, I hate hate hate looking at those little screens and navigating with buttons in this fashion. It absolutely drives me insane. Easter eggs on wysiwyg interfaces are annoying enough if you forget what mode you were in last time *glares at Rings* I see lots of low HP, single-purpose modules in my future...
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
P.S. I have refrained from buying anything during the past few weeks... wanted to see what was new first at Messe 2017 and Superbooth 2017... then decide on stuff
I lied... I forgot I ordered
- the Folktek Mescaline System on indiegogo but I doubt anything specifically similar will be released at Superbooth
- I have a Mordax Data on its way...

But I was looking at VCOs, Filters, CV modules, sequencers... and I stopped myself from looking more into it at least until Superbooth is over
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Two totally different animals IMO. Notice the lack of screen on the Vermona? The Dial, buttons, and a few LEDs is the whole enchilada. Consequently, it's simple to use, easy to remember what does what (I have issues with some modules in this respect), and you can play this module "live" if that makes sense. The buttons for changing the 3 different clocks to 4 different divisions beg to be tapped in time with the music. Changing from M1 to M2 to Poly can produce some amazing "happy accidents" with the right setup. You could easily be sending multiple (4 per channel) midi CC's and switch between them on the fly with the dial and buttons, the whole thing is a sort of matrix point

Just based on appearance the one Hokut posted looks like it's about 10x more programmable and probably has 10x more capability in the end, but the module looks even bigger than the QMI and is obviously a menu-diver in the worst way. I get why some would prefer it but I just can't do it anymore, I hate hate hate looking at those little screens and navigating with buttons in this fashion. It absolutely drives me insane. Easter eggs on wysiwyg interfaces are annoying enough if you forget what mode you were in last time *glares at Rings* I see lots of low HP, single-purpose modules in my future...
I agree i want simplicity i don't want to be looking at manuals after taking sometime out, 4 channel is enough for me and the fact i already own a Performer MKII i feel i already know how to use it
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Head

3x mother 32

Alright, this is another noob question. I have 1 mother 32 right now. Say I want to get another one or even 2 more to have 3. How do I go about syncing and using all three at the same time. I have an apollo twin duo audio interface. How does this work will Im assuming I will need 3 inputs? I think it has 3, if it doesn't what would I need? As far as midi goes how can all of them sync? With just one midi cable? The apollo twin doesn't have midi in/out or whatever, so I will need either need a USB/midi converter or route it through a controller of some some sorts? I obviously don't NEED midi for this but it's a nice function, however, I've read your not able to pass or turn off the sequencer. When I was messing around with mine (in ableton)I was able to route midi through my maschine 2 and have it respond to a piano roll sequence I wrote, but when I stopped and press play it would automatically start back up on its internal sequence, and I had to press the stop sequence button on the m32 to have it play my piano roll sequence in ableton again.

What's the deal.... any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance...
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidCity View Post
Alright, this is another noob question. I have 1 mother 32 right now. Say I want to get another one or even 2 more to have 3. How do I go about syncing and using all three at the same time. I have an apollo twin duo audio interface. How does this work will Im assuming I will need 3 inputs? I think it has 3, if it doesn't what would I need? As far as midi goes how can all of them sync? With just one midi cable? The apollo twin doesn't have midi in/out or whatever, so I will need either need a USB/midi converter or route it through a controller of some some sorts? I obviously don't NEED midi for this but it's a nice function, however, I've read your not able to pass or turn off the sequencer. When I was messing around with mine (in ableton)I was able to route midi through my maschine 2 and have it respond to a piano roll sequence I wrote, but when I stopped and press play it would automatically start back up on its internal sequence, and I had to press the stop sequence button on the m32 to have it play my piano roll sequence in ableton again.

The Mother 32 bug seems to be here to stay unfortunately. I emailed someone at moog over a year ago and was reassured that a firmware fix was in the works. There are a few quasi-fixes, none very good. It's a bummer and I might end up selling mine someday, I really love the sound though, so I just play it as a "lead synth" with my keyboard mostly, and use the LFO, mult, and mixer with other patches...

The easiest way to sync multiple mothers with midi is to use something like Midi Solutions Quadra thru and split to each one. Alternatively, you can sync them using the cv ins and outs as well...
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Multiple ways of syncing depending on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want a 3 vco mono synth with notes controlled by 1 of the 3 then patch KB out to mult in. Then mult 1 and 2 out to the 1v/oct on each of the other Mothers. Gate out of M1 to M2 gate in, and gate out of M2 to M3 gate in. Tune your oscs to taste.

You can send audio with any combo of input channels on your mixer. To use just 1 channel, patch the VCA out of 2 Mothers into the mix 1 and mix 2 of Mother 3. Mix out to Ext audio in, and you can blend the 3 to taste by using the VC mix and Mix knobs. You can then run a single 1/4" cable out of the Mother that's handling all of the mixing.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
The Mother 32 bug seems to be here to stay unfortunately. I emailed someone at moog over a year ago and was reassured that a firmware fix was in the works. There are a few quasi-fixes, none very good. It's a bummer and I might end up selling mine someday, I really love the sound though, so I just play it as a "lead synth" with my keyboard mostly, and use the LFO, mult, and mixer with other patches...

The easiest way to sync multiple mothers with midi is to use something like Midi Solutions Quadra thru and split to each one. Alternatively, you can sync them using the cv ins and outs as well...
Ahhh yes thank you!!
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Re: MUC-800/810

Quote:
16 CV outputs with a resolution of 16 bits for variable control voltages such as Volt/Octave , Hz/V, Velocity , Release , Pitch Bend and Controller values.
Yeah, nice feature for 7 bit resolution of MIDI
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelltodd View Post
Multiple ways of syncing depending on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want a 3 vco mono synth with notes controlled by 1 of the 3 then patch KB out to mult in. Then mult 1 and 2 out to the 1v/oct on each of the other Mothers. Gate out of M1 to M2 gate in, and gate out of M2 to M3 gate in. Tune your oscs to taste.

You can send audio with any combo of input channels on your mixer. To use just 1 channel, patch the VCA out of 2 Mothers into the mix 1 and mix 2 of Mother 3. Mix out to Ext audio in, and you can blend the 3 to taste by using the VC mix and Mix knobs. You can then run a single 1/4" cable out of the Mother that's handling all of the mixing.
Big ups, thank you!!!
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Re: MUC-800/810

Yeah, nice feature for 7 bit resolution of MIDI
What do you mean?
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You can't post this seconds after i ordered a Vermona QUI2, thats the height of cruelty
Ok,
I got a reply from Thomas Spangemacher at EDV Technik which included the following

"The MUC has been on the market for more than 6 years and has been continually developed and improved.
The last and biggest version MUC-8xx works since 2 years perfect without any known bugs.

Firmware download area from my website edv-technik-ts:
http://www.edv-technik-ts.de/html/download-area.html"

I asked about forum posts/user comments about the MUC 8xx series and he did list a few forum threads

Here I saw some custom panel and some interesting comments like this:
"I will use 1 of the 4 memories (setup preset) to sequence rythm : as you can divide the receiving midi clock and route the signal to any of the 24 outputs, the module is then a pulse divider. Division allowed from 1 to 96 by step of 1!!
----> 96 = 1 clock pulse"
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...873cad73703ca1

Other threads
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi....php?p=1667498
MATRIXSYNTH: EDV-Technik-TS MUC-400 MIDI Universal Converter

I don't speak german but here it is
https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer...57134&start=75
DIY Midi till CV? [Arkiv] - 99musik

Couple more links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ3RVsuwBM
Ranum Electronic Music Life » RS Modular Synthesizer

Well...I surely will keep the MUC 800 in mind from now on
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
What do you mean?
16 bit (around 65k steps of resolution) suggests ultra smooth MIDI to CV conversion, which is bogus since MIDI information like notes or CCs is 7 bits (128 steps of resolution). Its absolutely pointless imo.

For example Expert Sleepers ESX-8CV (CV expander module) brings 8 cv outputs with 12 bit resolution (around 4k steps between 0 and 5 volts) which is actually usable because Silent Way plugin suite does not only MIDI-to-CV, but stuff like LFOs, envelopes and much more
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
16 bit (around 65k steps of resolution) suggests ultra smooth MIDI to CV conversion, which is bogus since MIDI information like notes or CCs is 7 bits (128 steps of resolution). Its absolutely pointless imo.

For example Expert Sleepers ESX-8CV (CV expander module) brings 8 cv outputs with 12 bit resolution (around 4k steps between 0 and 5 volts) which is actually usable because Silent Way plugin suite does not only MIDI-to-CV, but stuff like LFOs, envelopes and much more
mmm... there are 14 bit midi controllers out there
Some synth with hands on controls transmit 14 Bit midi data out of their rotary (no-stop) controllers... you can assign midi data type to them and go 14 bits

The BCR2000 I think does, or you can get it from it (I don't own one but I know people do maybe through NRPN)

Some moog synth send/receive 14 bit

It think the old Akai Miniak had 12-bit encoders

Don't Faderfox Midi controllers have 14 Bits encoders?

I know of some DIY arduino based project for 14bit midi controllers...

I don't know if they simulate is by sending double 7 bit data... NRPN or whatever... but I think also Livid Controllers can do 14 bits...

There are controllers with 10 bit hardware.

So maybe at least 16 bits is future proof?

Also if you maybe use a MIDI from DAW to the MCU-800, maybe?

Last edited by Hokut; 19th April 2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Guru

yay a small delivery that was lost in the mail finally made it to me..

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yay a small delivery that was lost in the mail finally made it to me..

it's essentially two crossfaders with cv control - right? in1&in2 crossfade with cv, and in3&4 crossfade with cv [I don't care about blending between 1/2 & 3/4.

can you run some quick tests with that bledner? Run an oscillator to a mult, and then split into 1 & 2. as you fade from 1 to 2, any drop in volume? any noticeable artifacts?

also, using two different oscillator, how smooth is the fade? wide crossfade across the knob or only over a small area?
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

En route: Makenoise Function, Doepfer Wasp Filter, Dual Pitts. VCA and a couple of those little 1U buff mult/unity gain mixer tiles. Should extend my M32 a fair bit... Think when I go to get an OSC I’m gonna get something digital to broaden the palette. But after I made my order I cancelled the credit card if that is any indicator 
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
it's essentially two crossfaders with cv control - right? in1&in2 crossfade with cv, and in3&4 crossfade with cv [I don't care about blending between 1/2 & 3/4.

can you run some quick tests with that bledner? Run an oscillator to a mult, and then split into 1 & 2. as you fade from 1 to 2, any drop in volume? any noticeable artifacts?

also, using two different oscillator, how smooth is the fade? wide crossfade across the knob or only over a small area?
okay done this using two very similar Blue lantern oscillators, using a square wave out from each, the fade or blend is very smooth and there are no artifacts, it's really a cool way to tune two oscillators, so damn immediate and easy. When a single osc output is multi'd up and split into the inputs it's loudest at the cross over at midday, and sounds a tad softer at far left far right, overall the transitions using both ways is very smooth and there are no glitches or stepping I could hear..
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've had an on/off project with a really talented drummer for a few years, and he just told me he's moving back here, so that means we will be jamming and hopefully playing out live again. In the past, we've messed around with various options with ways he could trigger my gear from his acoustic drum kit, such as contact mics to triggers to midi or a janky cheap Simmons electronic kit to my MDUW, but now that I'm immersed in modular I'm thinking about ways he could trigger my modular from his drum kit. In doing a bit of research I came up fairly short with a single Muffs thread and a quick video or two. Anyone here attempted anything like this? I feel like there's some combo of contact mics and envelope followers that could make for some really interesting stuff, but I'd be very interested in any suggestions.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
okay done this using two very similar Blue lantern oscillators, using a square wave out from each, the fade or blend is very smooth and there are no artifacts, it's really a cool way to tune two oscillators, so damn immediate and easy. When a single osc output is multi'd up and split into the inputs it's loudest at the cross over at midday, and sounds a tad softer at far left far right, overall the transitions using both ways is very smooth and there are no glitches or stepping I could hear..
thanks. it's good results. the last times I had checked out the module I hadn't noticed there was cv on each of the blends, only on the A&B. I'm gonna order one this week. be gone the other fades modules that dip in the middle.!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I've had an on/off project with a really talented drummer for a few years, and he just told me he's moving back here, so that means we will be jamming and hopefully playing out live again. In the past, we've messed around with various options with ways he could trigger my gear from his acoustic drum kit, such as contact mics to triggers to midi or a janky cheap Simmons electronic kit to my MDUW, but now that I'm immersed in modular I'm thinking about ways he could trigger my modular from his drum kit. In doing a bit of research I came up fairly short with a single Muffs thread and a quick video or two. Anyone here attempted anything like this? I feel like there's some combo of contact mics and envelope followers that could make for some really interesting stuff, but I'd be very interested in any suggestions.
There's probably two ways you can send triggers from the drums.

1. contact mics into an Alesis D4, and send the midi to a midi-gate eurorack module.

2. with preamps for adequate gain you can get the contact mic signal loud enough to use as gates directly, or as audio into your modular.

send that to gates & to envelope triggers (intellijel quadra?)... what do you have in your modular? You can use the kick to step through a sequencer?

edit: use the Simmons electronic kit, they're so far out of style - they must be cool now. but don't connect it to the machine drum, just make it 100% modular sounds...
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
mmm... there are 14 bit midi controllers out there
Some synth with hands on controls transmit 14 Bit midi data out of their rotary (no-stop) controllers... you can assign midi data type to them and go 14 bits

The BCR2000 I think does, or you can get it from it (I don't own one but I know people do maybe through NRPN)

Some moog synth send/receive 14 bit

It think the old Akai Miniak had 12-bit encoders

Don't Faderfox Midi controllers have 14 Bits encoders?

I know of some DIY arduino based project for 14bit midi controllers...

I don't know if they simulate is by sending double 7 bit data... NRPN or whatever... but I think also Livid Controllers can do 14 bits...

There are controllers with 10 bit hardware.

So maybe at least 16 bits is future proof?

Also if you maybe use a MIDI from DAW to the MCU-800, maybe?
not worth a hassle, just turn the knobs on modular itself. for automated CCs that solution is multioverkill.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
when I stopped and press play it would automatically start back up on its internal sequence, and I had to press the stop sequence button on the m32 to have it play my piano roll sequence in ableton again.

If you ever go down the Expert Sleepers route this will cease to be a problem.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Guru

sampler is in...

isn't she cute..

this came the other day too, very very handy module..

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

The Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or:

Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
The Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or:
This is the eurorack sampler I want (I guess we all do) but the wait is painful... who knows when it will be finished
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Ears should be perfect for you. You don't even need a contact mic. Just mic the drums. It's got a pretty damn good mic input with gain ability and includes an envelope follower. Use envelope follower to trigger your main clock, boom...done.

You'd just need a mic cable that has XLR to TS to getinto the ears and a non-phantom powered mic. (although with phantom power, you may be able to go into a mixer to provide the phantom power, then out of that channel into ears, if your mixer allows it)
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Erica Synths has updated their Module Visualization page with quite a bit of stuff:

Modules
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

This looks interesting
4ms SWN - 6 Oscillator Wavetable Madness
6 VCOs, 6 VCAs, 6 LFOs (Can go audio range, can be triggers... ), individual tuning, individual clock divs/mult, 3D movement between the 6 wavetable VCOs.. etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfpigtg6ULQ

Ok this is on my shopping list BUT looks like not due until the end of the year...
Well done 4ms, I like this module
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Ears should be perfect for you. You don't even need a contact mic. Just mic the drums. It's got a pretty damn good mic input with gain ability and includes an envelope follower. Use envelope follower to trigger your main clock, boom...done.

You'd just need a mic cable that has XLR to TS to getinto the ears and a non-phantom powered mic. (although with phantom power, you may be able to go into a mixer to provide the phantom power, then out of that channel into ears, if your mixer allows it)
Ears was already on my shopping list, but that just bumped it up a few spots. And I think I actually have a non-phantom powered mic with a 1/4" TS output I could experiment with, and I have a small spare mixer around as well. Great ideas here, cheers!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Though I'm not in the market for yet another sequencer, I love the design aesthetic on Erica Synth's now drum box from Super Booth.

https://www.facebook.com/ericasynths...6762489007363/
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search