The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soft Tube modular..!!!
Old 16th June 2016
Soft Tube modular..!!!

Softube - New Product: Softube Modular

I think we should have a main thread for this product..

I quite like it, so here it is, yes it's been out some time and lot's of people know of it, but there's no thread about it AFAIK...so this thread is to discuss the software as it's users expand and come on board so we can all get to know more about it as it grows..

I'm quite interested in this product and am seriously thinking about putting it on my crappy old work macbook for some patching and messin' about..

looks very interesting and I'm most excited about the brands they have, Doepfer and Intellijel...that's a great start..
Old 16th June 2016
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

40 bucks per module? I'll pass. Love the idea, but I can't see how it competes with Reaktor 6.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear
downloading right now.... Im not sure it will replace my modular setup but vey interested especially if Intelijell releases the Metropolis
Old 16th June 2016
I like it. It gives one a chance to experiment with a modular setup without spending a lot of cash on a HW setup. I've thought about a HW system in the future and with Soft Tube is a way to try before you buy.

I really like the user interface too as compared to those plugins that have an un-escalable interface. The only thing I would hope the manufacturer changes are the unrealistic patch cables. On u-He Bazille and Arturia Modular, the cables dangle naturally. Other than that it looks like a very good product.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

I just admire Softube's cojones for trying different avenues, while other companies are still just doing pultec/Neve emulations and saturators after saturators.
Old 16th June 2016
I'm liking the sounds it can generate, very interesting tones for something so digital...also would this work as a plug in inside garage band..?
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

The demo's sound pretty nice, a bit of a Eurorack vibe.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried both.
Recall is a huge bonus.
Old 16th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
I just admire Softube's cojones for trying different avenues, while other companies are still just doing pultec/Neve emulations and saturators after saturators.
Softube announced their very own Neve emulation when they announced this modular release.

Softube Neve Emulation
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

It has a lot of potential, I am sure that down the road they will have sales so individual modules aren't as expensive, or maybe modular brands bundles.

Anyway, I want to see more modules for it before jumping on board.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear
Definitely sounds good but to be honest the My hardware eurorack just makes more sense to me as weird as this sounds. I feel a bit lost maybe its the cables... I have never been a fan of virtual cables. But if they rip off arturia arp2600 or moog it might be better.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm liking the sounds it can generate, very interesting tones for something so digital...also would this work as a plug in inside garage band..?
It should if Garageband uses whatever plug in format it uses. Be careful though, I'm currently putting together a living room mini rig out of old stuff and I'm come across a lot of plug ins that do not work with this old MacBook. I can't update it any more (10.6.8) and lots of things seem to want 10.7 or above. (I doubt this computer could do Softube's modular proud anyway)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It should if Garageband uses whatever plug in format it uses. Be careful though, I'm currently putting together a living room mini rig out of old stuff and I'm come across a lot of plug ins that do not work with this old MacBook. I can't update it any more (10.6.8) and lots of things seem to want 10.7 or above. (I doubt this computer could do Softube's modular proud anyway)

good idea so I checked, my old macbook is at 10.7.5...
Old 16th June 2016
JDN
Lives for gear

I think it was actually just released today, even though they showed it a while ago. Totally looking forward to digging in!
Old 16th June 2016
$40 (discounted) for an emulation of an Intellijel module I don't like in hardware - no.
The major joy in modular for me is the hardware, the tactile nature of it, getting away from the computer and screen.
Not for me.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear
Sounds very good. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised given Softtube's record of modelling other gear. I'm not sure I'll bite, given that I already have Reaktor ... although tbh even with the blocks framework I still find it a bit fiddly, and I have no great desire to get into building my own ensembles or modules at the moment.

Biggest gripe - would demo, but that would involve downloading the entire suite of installers and sitting them on my hard drive.
AvS
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
40 bucks per module? I'll pass. Love the idea, but I can't see how it competes with Reaktor 6.
As much as i like the way Reactor 6 Blocks sounds I really can't stand the workflow when building a new ensemble. Flipping it around dragging cables, not enough room to get at real overview, constantly moving modules around so you can see what you a re doing etc. The way Softube Modular works seems a lot faster and a lot more fun to me. Demos sound great also.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

I already have a 36U eurorack modular, MAX/MSP 7, Reaktor, Nord Modular, Arturia Moog Modular (not to mention dozens of non-modular hardware synths, and a good bunch of other software instruments as well)... Even if this Softube thing sounds great, I think my plate is full already. There are still only 24 hours in a day.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS View Post
As much as i like the way Reactor 6 Blocks sounds I really can't stand the workflow when building a new ensemble. Flipping it around dragging cables, not enough room to get at real overview, constantly moving modules around so you can see what you a re doing etc. The way Softube Modular works seems a lot faster and a lot more fun to me. Demos sound great also.
+1 - also the level of CPU hogging from even moderately complex ensembles.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
I already have a 36U eurorack modular, MAX/MSP 7, Reaktor, Nord Modular, Arturia Moog Modular (not to mention dozens of non-modular hardware synths, and a good bunch of other software instruments as well)... Even if this Softube thing sounds great, I think my plate is full already. There are still only 24 hours in a day.
But think about how much more time you would get if you would stop using the damn things? No need to complain about bugs or missing features and more time to BUY STUFF!

/C
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
But think about how much more time you would get if you would stop using the damn things? No need to complain about bugs or missing features and more time to BUY STUFF!

/C
Good point. I'll get my credit card.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

Don't like hardware modular. Don't like software modular. To me it's painful looking at those cables.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
+1 - also the level of CPU hogging from even moderately complex ensembles.
I agree, don't care for anything NI
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

They'll need more than Deopfer and Intellijel before I'd really consider it. If they somehow managed to bring in Make Noise, Mutable, SSF, and some of the boutique makers I would look at it seriously. I would love to be able to make a virtual approximation of my modular if for no other reason than to document and go back to some older ideas.

The one thing that's depressing about modular is that once you tear down a patch you know you're never going to get back to that exact sound again. It's part of the joy but also a little sad when I listen to some recording I did when I was banged up and can't remember at all how I got there. I've tried the paper patch notes thing but it didn't work for me. The best I've managed is a spread sheet of cable connections but it is not fun at all. How cool would it be to turn on a virtual version of your rack and draw in the patch cables and settings and save it for future reference.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
They'll need more than Deopfer and Intellijel before I'd really consider it. If they somehow managed to bring in Make Noise, Mutable, SSF, and some of the boutique makers I would look at it seriously. I would love to be able to make a virtual approximation of my modular if for no other reason than to document and go back to some older ideas.

The one thing that's depressing about modular is that once you tear down a patch you know you're never going to get back to that exact sound again. It's part of the joy but also a little sad when I listen to some recording I did when I was banged up and can't remember at all how I got there. I've tried the paper patch notes thing but it didn't work for me. The best I've managed is a spread sheet of cable connections but it is not fun at all. How cool would it be to turn on a virtual version of your rack and draw in the patch cables and settings and save it for future reference.
That's why I've avoided the whole modular thing. I like to work on a project for a bit and then start a new one, or move to another old one and maybe go back to the first one after a bit. That kind of thing would be tedious if not impossible in a hardware modular, though I'm setting up a small system with a few semi modulars. I can already tell I might not like the flow and all I have so far is the 1m.

I'm not sure about this one though. I won't be able to properly demo it until Monday at the earliest, but regardless of how good it sounds, I've already invested in Reaktor 6 and Scope Modular. I love both of them. I also think their pricing on new modules is a bit out of line. You're charging $40 for a single module when one can buy Reaktor 6 for $199? It had better be super special if they want me to climb on this train.
Old 16th June 2016
Maybe it's because you guys spend all day on a patch, the fiddle with it for a week.
When I'm working on some music I might make ten or modular patches in a few hours, tearing them down and starting from scratch every time. I might use half a dozen modules and between ten and twenty cables, usually more like ten.
Working like that you get to learn how to patch certain sound (by repetition), but also the joy of learning something new, creating something new, far outweighs the loss when pulling out all the cables.
I think you're still trying to make modular the same as other 'modern' synthesis.

On from that, the most disappointing thing for me is that this seems to be an excuse to emulate Doepfer and Intellijel in software. Before I clicked on the link I thought it was going be new and innovative module designs.
Second hand Doepfer and Intellijel are not much more expensive than these software emulations.
It's just trying to cash in on the modular craze IMO.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Good point. I'll get my credit card.
Keep us posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That's why I've avoided the whole modular thing. I like to work on a project for a bit and then start a new one, or move to another old one and maybe go back to the first one after a bit. That kind of thing would be tedious if not impossible in a hardware modular
It's no different to working with real vocals, acoustic drums and guitars.
You record the sound and performance while you are 'in the moment'.
If you quit the project and come back to it later, those sounds and performances are still there. If you decide you want to change them you have to get a new sound up and record a new performance, just like working with a singer or drummer.
Commitment is good. Keeping everything optional and live via midi is one way of working, but not the only way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Maybe it's because you guys spend all day on a patch, the fiddle with it for a week.
When I'm working on some music I might make ten or modular patches in a few hours, tearing them down and starting from scratch every time. I might use half a dozen modules and between ten and twenty cables, usually more like ten.
Working like that you get to learn how to patch certain sound (by repetition), but also the joy of learning something new, creating something new, far outweighs the loss when pulling out all the cables.
I think you're still trying to make modular the same as other 'modern' synthesis.

On from that, the most disappointing thing for me is that this seems to be an excuse to emulate Doepfer and Intellijel in software. Before I clicked on the link I thought it was going be new and innovative module designs.
Second hand Doepfer and Intellijel are not much more expensive than these software emulations.
It's just trying to cash in on the modular craze IMO.
When you live outside of the US and EU music tech gets very expensive (VAT+Shipping and in some countries even trade tariffs).

And also the space is an important consideration. So yeah, not everyone can have the luxury of a HW modular system.

But I agree that the module selection is quite short, they need to bring more develoeprs on board ASAP. If make noise gets in it will get very interesting.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear

Personally, I'll stick with Reaktor 6 and hold out for System 63: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...sneak-preview/
๐Ÿ“ Reply