The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Modular Thread 2016
Old 24th January 2016
The Modular Thread 2016

I didn't see that anybody had already created one, so if it exists, feel free to delete this.

Modular plans, experiences, and general discussion, GO!
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

What's better? Buchla or Serge?
Old 24th January 2016
Both is always the right answer!
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

When I got back into Eurorack again a few years back, I swore I would not go beyond a 9U system. I'm now at 36. Let my example be a warning to everyone who entertains the idea of voluntarily getting sucked into the black hole of modular synths.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

I'll never cross 12U
I swear.
I'm not even at 6 yet, so it'll be ok.

what are you favorite wave table modules?
at a certain point is the number of wavetables saved redundant?
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

I'm stable at 15u and only purchased two modules in the latest 18 months
I hope I can be an inspiration to those of you struggling with your addiction
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

I will never go over 30u (except I run MU so it's actually not much). I personally don't like euro, it costs almost the same as MU but has tiny everything and I can't get over most of the wacky faceplates.

That's just me though, euro does have a lot more to offer and it's easier to fall into the infinite void
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Guru

My first module purchase for 2016 ..

I wasn't expecting it, was saving any spare $$ for the new Roland stuff, but this was too much of an opportunity to pass up...big thanks to MintyPig..
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
what are you favorite wave table modules?
at a certain point is the number of wavetables saved redundant?
Waldorf NW1. Being able to record your own wavetables is freaking AWESOME!!!
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

My plan for this year is to further explore what I already have and maybe fill up some of the holes in my MU system, but I'm in no hurry.

I really like the Waldorf kb37, but I don't want to build another eurorack system, and I can't bring myself to reduce my current 9U system into 107 hp.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

I haven't bought any modules in '16 yet, was waiting on NAMM and replenishing funds. Now there's 3 foot snow drifts in front of my house so hesitant about getting anything delivered. I've really been wanting a module that will do chords. Qu-Bit Electronix Chord seems to fit the bill but not out until March and I really am not feeling the pot stems.

Been GASing over the shapeshifter but it's big and expensive and I'm not sure I would be getting the most out of it stuck in chord mode. My top choice at the moment is the tELHARMONIC, I just can't tell if it will work the way I want it to and it's on the quirkier end for make noise which is basically quirky at 11.

BUT I need to make an order soon because in my last patch I ran out of cables. SO FRUSTRATING

Old 25th January 2016
I only have two thirds of my system set up at the moment, the rest is in boxes and halfway around the world in shipping. As I said in the old thread, it's really nice working with 6U of modules that work really well together, although I'm having cravings to use my ULFO and Wogglebug which aren't accessible at the moment, and also strangely liberating using it with clock generated internally, rather than receiving it from my A4 and syncing to my DAW.
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
Been GASing over the shapeshifter but it's big and expensive and I'm not sure I would be getting the most out of it stuck in chord mode.

Even stuck in chord mode, you can simultaneously use the 2nd oscillator output to send another oscillator tone to a VCA (in a pitch with is related to the tone, good for basslines) or you can use that output as a wavetable LFO.

It's a really lovely oscillator, and it's worth the money for chord mode alone as far as I'm concerned, but it does so much more.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I haven't bought any modules in '16 yet, was waiting on NAMM and replenishing funds. Now there's 3 foot snow drifts in front of my house so hesitant about getting anything delivered. I've really been wanting a module that will do chords. Qu-Bit Electronix Chord seems to fit the bill but not out until March and I really am not feeling the pot stems.

Been GASing over the shapeshifter but it's big and expensive and I'm not sure I would be getting the most out of it stuck in chord mode. My top choice at the moment is the tELHARMONIC, I just can't tell if it will work the way I want it to and it's on the quirkier end for make noise which is basically quirky at 11.

BUT I need to make an order soon because in my last patch I ran out of cables. SO FRUSTRATING

This, so many holes to be filled but not enough cables, need more CABLES!!!!! Adding the ADE 32 Octacontroller this week!!!
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

As mine is largely DIY, i will be slowly adding to it when time and money allows.

Got a basic system now (5u-oakley rather than euro) fwiw.

but i might have to get a 3u row for the zplane filter....
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beni Shoga View Post
I only have two thirds of my system set up at the moment, the rest is in boxes and halfway around the world in shipping.
I feel your pain. I've been buying from sources outside of eBay for the first time and the wait is killing me!
Old 25th January 2016
Here's a question: DIY modules for non-DIYers. Any recommendations? I know Control has started offering assembly of DIY kits and you can find a lot of completed modules on Muff Wiggler and occasionally eBay. Any other sources for assembled DIY kits you guys can recommend?
Old 25th January 2016
Slowly but surely I am building up my little Make Mutable Performance System to go along with my [three] Moog Mother-32s and my Kilpatrick Audio Phenol. I have two live performances next month where I will be testing out this setup...

This is the goal with the setup... I know it seems simple and limited, but with everything else I have, it will be a nice compliment.

... and here's a sneak peek on instagram of the "Boards of Canada" like sound I got out of the Elements in "Ringafied" mode - https://www.instagram.com/p/BA90pEGP...aken-by=genshi

Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
Adding the ADE 32 Octacontroller this week!!!
Mines been in the mail for 2 weeks. Major GAS explosion building...
Old 25th January 2016
Just bought a couple modules from that Uoki-Toki guy on Muff Wiggler. A Polivoks filter using NOS parts from the original and he managed to scrounge up one last Subkid for me. I'm really excited for this thing.

Old 25th January 2016
Deleted 80b9b09
Almost there...

Just a few modules to go and my modular is done.

I've really appreciated all the help from you guys.

Now if anyone can tell me what daphuq I do with Maths, that'll be great as I haven't a clue. No manual either. The way it should be!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Modular Thread 2016-20160125_192329.jpg  
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Just a few modules to go and my modular is done.

I've really appreciated all the help from you guys.

Now if anyone can tell me what daphuq I do with Maths, that'll be great as I haven't a clue. No manual either. The way it should be!!!!
Just bought mine this weekend...clueless. But there is a manual on make noise website. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Of course the manual might as well be written in Sanskrit for how well I'm getting it.
Good luck!
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Head

Have a look at this illustrated manual, perhaps trying some of these will help:

maths2013-V1.11-printable
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post

Seeing that PDF is really what opened Maths beyond an envelope generator/LFO for me. Wonderfully deep swiss army module. Really lends itself to experimentation too.

First new modules of 2016 were a second Clouds and a second Rings. Almost out of room now in a 12u, 84hp setup. Wondering where to go next.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hows the beatstep pro working out for ya?
Old 25th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post

Very helpful indeed, thanks for the link. A couple quick questions (for anyone who can help), bearing in mind I've never looked at a patch diagram like this before-

What do the dotted lines represent? A 2nd channel of the same type of signal? (I missed the legend if there is one)

On page 21, there is a patch called "Multiplication". Can this be used to Multiply clock or does it mean something else?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Guru

I just posted this on its own thread as didn't see a modular 16

But i'd like folks thoughts as I'm lovin this by erica synths and have been patiently waiting since I found out about it a couple months ago

What do you guys think?

Erica Synths :: Erica Black Classic System
Modules included:

Black Varishape VCO1
Black Varishape VCO2
Black Polivoks VCF
Black VCA
Black 8-multi
2 Black LFO
Black Digital Noise
Black Mixer
Black Output module
Black CV Processor
Black Mixer/Splitter
Black HADSR EG
Black EG CV Expander
MIDI to CV
Eurorack skiff case
External linear 1,25A PSU or built in 1,3A switching PSU of your choice
Horizontal wooden side panels
20 Patch cables

Price 2222 EUR. You save 550EUR compared to buying modues separately.

There's a vid on yt but since Apple went to iOS 9 for some reason copying the link via the YouTube link on GS doesn't work
Old 25th January 2016
I couldn't own a system just made up of one company's modules.
The one Erica Synths module I have is excellent. But too much amazing stuff by other people (Mutable, WMD, Noise Engineering) to spend all my cash with one brand.
Old 25th January 2016
There are several in depth video tutorials on Maths, made by Make Noise, on Youtube.
Old 25th January 2016
Deleted 80b9b09
Thanks for all the help. I just basically plugged cables in all over the shop with Maths, and ModDemix, and made several amazing sounds, so the manual is a great starting point, but modular begs for trial and error!!!

One thing I will call for help from you helpful forumers, however - and I'm sure it's really basic but I can't think straight about it - is how do you effectively GATE an oscillator, so it just plays when you hit the note.

Below is my (projected) build. I have all but the final couple of modules on the bottom.

When I get the Erica EG, how will I patch the modular so when I hit a note on the keyboard and send it out via Gate/CV from the Deeper MIDI converter to make it trigger the Erica OSC1?

I know I have the gate from the Doepfer go into the Gate on the EG. And the 1V/Oct into the oscillator.

Do I then route the OSC out into the EG and then to my output? Is it that simple?

Hope that makes sense, and as always - help really is appreciated on every level.

๐Ÿ“ Reply