The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Make Noise 0-Coast
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

I took the 0-Coast plunge last week and I'm glad I did.

There's so much to like and so many new concepts to wrap my head around. I'd like to thank Tony and crew for making synthesis fun and interesting for me again without having to resort to an expensive Buchla or Serge setup -- though I suspect I've already crossed the event horizon of that particular rabbit hole!
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Add me to the list. Mine's on the way
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

:does a happy little dance:

(Spot the newbie patching errors :D)
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Congrats Polymooger! Patch away!
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
:does a happy little dance:

(Spot the newbie patching errors :D)
Lol. I caught myself almost posting a pic of an input going to an input on a module once. damn presbyopia.
Old 9th April 2017
Loving my new 0 coast - it's become fast friends with my Pro 2. And check out the Oblique Strategies card I drew the day I unboxed it. Perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Make Noise 0-Coast-img_20170408_134436_818.jpg  
Old 20th April 2017
Here's a short little synth jam I recorded last night - the first piece I've recorded with my brand new 0-Coast! I love this thing. The 0-Coast is doing the plucky lead arp that starts right away and slowly evolves through the track. It's being played - and summed - via my Pro 2. Bleep bleep, bloop bloop! Such a fun little synth. I'm really enjoying working at getting "nice" sounds out of it so far

Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Here's a patch I made yesterday bringing in the Korg SQ-1 and Dreadbox Erebus

Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

analogue5 you should restore your post, it was great reading.
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
analogue5 you should restore your post, it was great reading.
Well thank you. And I deleted it b/c I felt like I was just rambling. But I came back to repost today, so it's good to know my rambling has some use here, maybe.

O.K. I've had my 0 coast for about 2 weeks. I guess people would say I've been "gassing" a lot lately. I loved my Roland system 1 when I first got it. Would have liked to have kept it as my poly, but I would always find myself just playing with my minibrute. I think the sys1 sounds fantastic for a VA. But my budget is limited and I knew it would have to go if I got the 0 coast.

And the 0 coast while certainly a huge learning curve seems to put out some incredible sounds. I've been playing with the FM / frequency modulation and it's really fun using it with my minibrute for some crazy kick like bass tone I made a few days ago. And while I've been considering a semi modular with a sequencer to make these 2 mono synths a sort of complete package I've had the dilemma of not being able to buy one without selling some other things, like maybe my over priced laptop to have some money to play around with. I may just sell the laptop in the end just to recoup some money. unless your ready to spend 2,000 or more on the current macbook pro don't bother, dual core cpu's in 2016-17 is a joke for a laptop that cost's 1600 after tax without some sort of discount. Not that it doesn't run well enough for what I do, but having put down 1300 it just seems wrong to be sporting a 2.0Ghz dual-core even if it boosts to 3.0Ghz. at that price.

But I've solved my problem. I'm just way to obsessed with some sort of solution for lack of poly, and the more I just play the 0 coast and minibrute together the more I can see why people love the moog so much. you really only need 2 good oscillators and the right modulations to make massive chord like tones.

So I'm just going to read the manual of the 0 coast and learn how this thing works and then work on my real problem area, mixing and sitting in front of my computer and editing all of the recordings I've made into some friggin' music. If I need more oscillators or poly, I'll just hook the brute up to my laptop and go virtual. I just need to get image line to work out my issue with unlocking the Harmor VST I bought out of demo mode in they're macOS beta they're working on.

For anyone out they're looking into semi-modular I think the mother 32 used is fair if you really want a moog, the ms-20 mini has 2 VCO's, and then you have all of the non-mainstream modules that are everywhere! But if you want additive synthises, or at least something that isn't your usual subtractive synth I'd say if you can wait till the 0 coast sells used more and drops if 500.00 is to much you really can't go wrong with it.

However I know I'm far from someone who really knows a lot about synthesis. I've learned a lot after having my minibrute, but I'm far from being able to put togehter specific sounds on command, and some things I have no clue on how to get to. But the 0-coast is really a great module for people who can't sport a lot of gear or put 1,000+ out on a modular synth, let alone a buchla. 5,000? I think the ceiling on it is very high, someone who knows synthesis on a real level may have a different opinion but I know when I play with my minibrute I can tell I have yet to really reach everything it can do, and then when I sit and noodle with the 0-coast, well the more I do that with them both the more content I am to just take the advice of the writer of an e-book I bought about analog/subtractive synthesis who told me in an email response about a question I had regarding his opinion on the Harmor VST that I had just recently bought at the time that he really doesn't know much about current synths or other synths, he just keeps to a few b/c they have so much to learn with each of them.

And that's my conclusion. I have 2 out of the park analog synths of which I have barely scratched below the surfaces of and probably and endless foray into sample based synthesis with Harmor so I'm done!

Now I'll just get back to noodling and recording, and putting some songs together for my driving job.....It's funny, I can spend the whole 10-14hrs that I'm out driving listening to all of the weird samples and strange noodlings of soundcloud users demoing synths that aren't even remotely melodic and I have a ton of it on my computer right now that I've made that I could be listening to at work and sorting out what I want to sample and re-edit. So that's the next move.

If your like me and your curious about semi-modular possibilities and not having patch memory doesn't scare you then I really don't think you'll be sorry if you decided to buy this. But, listening to demo's and demoing a synth yourself are really very different. However, good luck finding a place to demo the 0 coast unless your at a namm or gear show.
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Having fun with my 0-Coast...

Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmaniac View Post
Having fun with my 0-Coast...

Nice! Reminds me of the robot voice from this:

The 0-Coast is still my favourite synth I own. Actually I’m considering selling all of them except the 0-Coast and 2 Mother 32’s.
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Nice! Reminds me of the robot voice from this:

The 0-Coast is still my favourite synth I own. Actually I’m considering selling all of them except the 0-Coast and 2 Mother 32’s.
Thanks! Interesting, it really has a similar timbre and rhythm.

Mother 32 and 0-Coast must be a great combo for weird patching adventures.
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

Ugh, why move the 0-Coast thread to the modular section where no one can find it?

It's patchable with a normalled signal path, no different than a Korg MS-20 or an ARP 2600.

Are we putting all MS-20 threads in the modular section too?
Old 27th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Ugh, why move the 0-Coast thread to the modular section where no one can find it?

It's patchable with a normalled signal path, no different than a Korg MS-20 or an ARP 2600.

Are we putting all MS-20 threads in the modular section too?

You know I kinda agree with this...just based on this post the more we move from over there the more complaints we might get and that wasn’t the idea really. The point about the MS20 is s good one, and frankly I don’t even want it in our sub.
Old 29th October 2017
Using 0C with a Beatstep Pro, do I set this up in the BSP interface as default V-trig or S-trig with the CV/gate mode?
Don't seem to be able to control pitch or gate or play notes on the pads or changes thru parameter control knobs in real time and when they do, not very consistently.
I would run MIDI to it, but all my thrus in my ideal config are spoken for.
Recalibrate the 0C?
Old 13th June 2018
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

It's on my wishlist, just way down. I'm going to want mine racked, and I've read that the location of the power jack makes it a little difficult, so I want to grab a cheap one to mod it before popping it in the rack.
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's on my wishlist, just way down. I'm going to want mine racked, and I've read that the location of the power jack makes it a little difficult, so I want to grab a cheap one to mod it before popping it in the rack.
Meh...keep it unracked and grab some extra patch cables and enjoy Krell on the couch
Old 15th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Meh...keep it unracked and grab some extra patch cables and enjoy Krell on the couch
But... muh yourorag...
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Head
Saw an interview of Tony about the 0-coast and he said he was surprised at how many people were posting vids on youtube playing it using the self generating capabilities over a midi controller. He thought more people would be using it with a keyboard. I guess he’s so used to modular that he figured people jumping in for the 1st time would have gravitated more toward traditional playing. I thought it was pretty funny, I would have thought he’d knew making a unit like the 0-coast would be the whole reason someone would be interested in trying it, to see what it’s like doing it in a buchla/modular fashion of playing. However now I want to start posting some vids playing it with a keyboard as I do play it that way or through my sequencer most of the time myself. Showcase the sweet analog creamy tones it can put out. This is one of the most compact and versitile synths I’ve ever laid my hands on.
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue5 View Post
Saw an interview of Tony about the 0-coast and he said he was surprised at how many people were posting vids on youtube playing it using the self generating capabilities over a midi controller. He thought more people would be using it with a keyboard. I guess he’s so used to modular that he figured people jumping in for the 1st time would have gravitated more toward traditional playing. I thought it was pretty funny, I would have thought he’d knew making a unit like the 0-coast would be the whole reason someone would be interested in trying it, to see what it’s like doing it in a buchla/modular fashion of playing. However now I want to start posting some vids playing it with a keyboard as I do play it that way or through my sequencer most of the time myself. Showcase the sweet analog creamy tones it can put out. This is one of the most compact and versitile synths I’ve ever laid my hands on.
I love it when synth designers completely underestimate what the end user will be doing with their creations. That sort of unexpected result feeds back into the next design. Customer oriented development at it's best. I'm sure Bob, Peter, Alan, Tom, Don, Serge, and Dave all experienced it at least once in their careers.

It also means to me that the market might be more than ready for a more advanced West Coast style synth that doesn't require the user to fully commit to a modular setup. Perhaps even a poly but that might be pushing it.
Old 2nd July 2018
Kja
Lives for gear
I just bought a new microvolt and atm super excited about it coming.. But anything closer to a music easel and I'm sold! These two are close but really are both missing that empty tin can distortion of higher octaves you get from buchla that for some reason seems to ellude all the synth makers? I mean the make noise and pittsburg do sound good.. But its not the same.. We need a affordable buchla bad!
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue5 View Post
I do play it with a keyboard but find it's forte is sounds that don't really feel good to play from a keyboard (touchplate is a diff story)

I use it for drum sounds more than anything.
Old 13th August 2018
Deleted User
So I admit I'm a total modular noob, but! I just got my 0-coast~!

It's been two days but I'm still lost

Are there any good resources for noobs like me? My searches seem to be coming up empty. I've been working through the Patch of the week on Make Noise's channel, I think it helps, but sometimes they don't sound like they should and then... then I'm sad. I figure working though each fail is its own success, but this is painfully slow work.

Many thanks!
Old 14th August 2018
Brought my 0 coast on a trip... goal was to finally understand it better. Not sure I'll end up sequencing and recording into ableton live, that is the end goal.

Last edited by elgordito; 16th August 2018 at 01:18 AM..
Old 14th August 2018
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle911 View Post
So I admit I'm a total modular noob, but! I just got my 0-coast~!

It's been two days but I'm still lost

Are there any good resources for noobs like me? My searches seem to be coming up empty. I've been working through the Patch of the week on Make Noise's channel, I think it helps, but sometimes they don't sound like they should and then... then I'm sad. I figure working though each fail is its own success, but this is painfully slow work.

Many thanks!
Maybe start with what don't you understand? Learn each module and how they work then put them together? Remember, its not rocket science.. Its just manipulating sound generated from a voltage.
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear
I wrote up a guide on how to rack mount a 0 Coast. I wanted to fit all my modules including this in a single rack and had to find bits of this info from all over. So anyone else wants to rack mount their 0 coast here's how.
How to rack mount a Make Noise 0 Coast in a eurorack case – Mentat
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear
Just added the 0-Coast to the patch-library.net, so you can create and share your favorite patches for this interesting synth.

I don't own it myself, so if you find any bugs or shortcomings, please let me know.

You can also create a Rack with multiple instruments, being the 0-Coast, Neutron, Model D, Mother-32 and DFAM. Enjoy!
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwippie View Post
Just added the 0-Coast to the patch-library.net, so you can create and share your favorite patches for this interesting synth.

I don't own it myself, so if you find any bugs or shortcomings, please let me know.

You can also create a Rack with multiple instruments, being the 0-Coast, Neutron, Model D, Mother-32 and DFAM. Enjoy!
Looks pretty awesome! Thanks for making this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search