The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread
Old 4th August 2019
  #661
Lives for gear
 

I'd pay $10 extra per module if every single one of them had dimmable LEDs.
Old 5th August 2019
  #662
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
How much to replace all of my LED's with frickin' lasers?
Old 5th August 2019
  #663
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How much to replace all of my LED's with frickin' lasers?
one way modular? blind after the first use.
Old 5th August 2019
  #664
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun View Post
one way modular? blind after the first use.
Old 6th August 2019
  #665


Current rig!
Old 9th August 2019
  #666
Lives for gear
 

So everyone is posting pictures with their modular setups. I thought to do something different. I will not post pictures of my setup. No.
I will post pictures with my orphan modules that do not fit in my cases. I have eight 10U cases, all full with modules (which is 2016hp plus eight 1U for utilities).
Luckily 95% of my modular is my own DIY work so this should not be a problem.

So the modus operandi for a while is, from time to time I pull out modules from the cases and replace them with some of the orphan modules. At a later moment I do it again. And again and again.
What have I done.
Attached Thumbnails
Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread-orphan-modules.jpg  
Old 9th August 2019
  #667
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
So everyone is posting pictures with their modular setups. I thought to do something different. I will not post pictures of my setup. No.
I will post pictures with my orphan modules that do not fit in my cases. I have eight 10U cases, all full with modules (which is 2016hp plus eight 1U for utilities).
Luckily 95% of my modular is my own DIY work so this should not be a problem.

So the modus operandi for a while is, from time to time I pull out modules from the cases and replace them with some of the orphan modules. At a later moment I do it again. And again and again.
What have I done.
That's properly slutty. Damn.
Old 9th August 2019
  #668
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
So everyone is posting pictures with their modular setups. I thought to do something different. I will not post pictures of my setup. No.
I will post pictures with my orphan modules that do not fit in my cases. I have eight 10U cases, all full with modules (which is 2016hp plus eight 1U for utilities).
Luckily 95% of my modular is my own DIY work so this should not be a problem.

So the modus operandi for a while is, from time to time I pull out modules from the cases and replace them with some of the orphan modules. At a later moment I do it again. And again and again.
What have I done.
Holy crap, dude! That's simultaneously slutty and insane!
Old 10th August 2019
  #669
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Holy crap, dude! That's simultaneously slutty and insane!
You think it is insane? I only told half of the story because I thought if I tell the whole story people will think it is insane.

So as I said I built most of my modules and I have lots of them. But it looks like there is hope, because in time, probably after things will become clear I can decide what to keep and what to sell/exchange for other things. It sounds like a good and sane plan, right?

Problem is I build (and also design) modules at a rate that soon storing the orphans will be a problem

Some more pics with boxes with modules which are work in progress and modules waiting to be built.
The highlight is the box with 7 kilograms of bare PCBs (have no idea when I will have time and space for them)
Attached Thumbnails
Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread-work-progress-1.jpg   Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread-work-progress-2.jpg   Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread-tons-pcbs.jpg  
Old 10th August 2019
  #670
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
7 kilograms of bare PCBs
Wow, you are a dirty, dirty slut.



I'm sitting on about 6x PCBs or sets of them, and was feeling weird about adding much to that.

Thanks in part to your confession I'm now sure that I'm worrying way too much about my 6 sets.

Old 10th August 2019
  #671
Gear Head
 
Modular_8's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I'd pay $10 extra per module if every single one of them had dimmable LEDs.
many newer 4ms modules have dimmable LEDs. there's trimmers on the front of many of them and you can use a little screw driver to turn them down.

i've actually used black sharpie to dot on the annoying LEDs in some of my modules.
Old 11th August 2019
  #672
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
So everyone is posting pictures with their modular setups. I thought to do something different. I will not post pictures of my setup. No.
I will post pictures with my orphan modules that do not fit in my cases. I have eight 10U cases, all full with modules (which is 2016hp plus eight 1U for utilities).
Luckily 95% of my modular is my own DIY work so this should not be a problem.

So the modus operandi for a while is, from time to time I pull out modules from the cases and replace them with some of the orphan modules. At a later moment I do it again. And again and again.
What have I done.
Dear lord. We definitely need more pics :D
Old 12th August 2019
  #673
Here for the gear
 

Old 17th August 2019
  #674
Here for the gear
@ chrissugar : You need to open a little online shop, seriously.
Old 17th August 2019
  #675
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar Pie View Post
@ chrissugar : You need to open a little online shop, seriously.
True Facts. Building modules for us non-DIY folks is lucrative. Everybody wants a Turing Machine, but not everybody knows how to make one.
Old 17th August 2019
  #676
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
True Facts. Building modules for us non-DIY folks is lucrative. Everybody wants a Turing Machine, but not everybody knows how to make one.
I'm accumulating DIY kits I haven't yet had time for.

I may soon resort.to hiring a builder for some.

Just have too many things going on at once.
Old 17th August 2019
  #677
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Wow, you are a dirty, dirty slut.

One day many months ago when I moved some boxes it made me realize that the PCB box was quite heavy so decided to measure its weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I'm sitting on about 6x PCBs or sets of them, and was feeling weird about adding much to that.

Thanks in part to your confession I'm now sure that I'm worrying way too much about my 6 sets.

Six project is nothing. You are safe. Just add some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Dear lord. We definitely need more pics :D
More pics of this disaster? No way. It would be like accepting that I have a problem. I don't have a problem. Everything is under control.


Better will post a pic with one of my cases (although I said I will not ).
This is probably my most stable one. I mean, in this case only sometimes I remove a couple of modules and replace them with orphans.
The other cases till now were always continuously evolving with only a number of modules remaining constantly installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Modular gallery "post pics of your modular" - modular porn thread-euro-one-them.jpg  
Old 17th August 2019
  #678
Gear Head
 
Lisa's Avatar
My dual case setup. It’s nice to be able to start a patch even if I have one going.

Old 17th August 2019
  #679
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
My dual case setup. It’s nice to be able to start a patch even if I have one going.

Interesting.

You never patch between the two setups? Feels less modular-y all spread apart like that.

Nice looking room, regardless.
Old 17th August 2019
  #680
Gear Head
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Interesting.

You never patch between the two setups? Feels less modular-y all spread apart like that.
Nah, each case is big enough. 9U, 140hp is a great size imo. I never miss anything when I’m using the filled one and it’ll be the same with the second one once it’s filled, I’m sure.
Old 18th August 2019
  #681
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Nah, each case is big enough. 9U, 140hp is a great size imo. I never miss anything when I’m using the filled one and it’ll be the same with the second one once it’s filled, I’m sure.
looks beautiful!

does each case have a theme/goal/purpose at all? or just kind of going along
Old 18th August 2019
  #682
Gear Head
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
does each case have a theme/goal/purpose at all? or just kind of going along
The goal of the first one was to create a full studio (sans drums, most effects and recording) in a box. I rejected loads of cool modules because they where to big or didn't seem reasonable in my quest to put together something complete.

For the second case I'm going through the rejected modules and plan to put together a full studio (sans most effects and recording) in a box. The idea is to challenge myself a bit by picking some modules that I know are good but that I instinctively dislike for some reason. Varigate 8+, Stages and Metasonix modules for instance.

I'm also doing drum modules this time around. There are some really cool drum modules around so that part is a delight but programming drum patterns with any other tool than the classic x0x sequencer is another challenge for me.
Old 18th August 2019
  #683
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
The goal of the first one was to create a full studio (sans drums, most effects and recording) in a box. I rejected loads of cool modules because they where to big or didn't seem reasonable in my quest to put together something complete.

For the second case I'm going through the rejected modules and plan to put together a full studio (sans most effects and recording) in a box. The idea is to challenge myself a bit by picking some modules that I know are good but that I instinctively dislike for some reason. Varigate 8+, Stages and Metasonix modules for instance.

I'm also doing drum modules this time around. There are some really cool drum modules around so that part is a delight but programming drum patterns with any other tool than the classic x0x sequencer is another challenge for me.
Cool/interesting approaches.

Which Metasonix modules are you considering? I've yet to purchase but keep coming back to an R-55 and his weird dual LPG, and I used to lust after their VCA but now I GAS for the Trogotronic m277 in that dept. But they haven't worked their way to a shopping cart yet...
Old 18th August 2019
  #684
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
My dual case setup. It’s nice to be able to start a patch even if I have one going.

You have such a nice room. I love so much this kind of aesthetics/colour combinations. Very Scandinavian.
Old 18th August 2019
  #685
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
The goal of the first one was to create a full studio (sans drums, most effects and recording) in a box. I rejected loads of cool modules because they where to big or didn't seem reasonable in my quest to put together something complete.

For the second case I'm going through the rejected modules and plan to put together a full studio (sans most effects and recording) in a box. The idea is to challenge myself a bit by picking some modules that I know are good but that I instinctively dislike for some reason. Varigate 8+, Stages and Metasonix modules for instance.

I'm also doing drum modules this time around. There are some really cool drum modules around so that part is a delight but programming drum patterns with any other tool than the classic x0x sequencer is another challenge for me.
I did something similar. I took a bunch of unused modules and put them in a separate 7u 104hp case. I also added some 2hp drums and Euclids so mine is a full on live rig (drums, plus 4 synth voices).

As I learn those modules, they have become some of my favorites (Rene 2, Mimetic Digitalis, Stages).

There is definitely something to be said for simplicity in modular. You end up squeezing a lot more out of what you have, which takes you down creative paths that you may not have thought of otherwise.
Old 18th August 2019
  #686
Gear Head
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Which Metasonix modules are you considering? I've yet to purchase but keep coming back to an R-55 and his weird dual LPG, and I used to lust after their VCA but now I GAS for the Trogotronic m277 in that dept. But they haven't worked their way to a shopping cart yet...
I don't really know much about the old Metasonix modules, I've only checked out the ones that are available presently.

What I don't get are folks that get full cases with Metasonix modules. Based on the videos I've seen everything comes out sounding like a broken 80s printer. But to each their own, I guess. I'm interested in getting a tiny bit of the Metasonix sound into my patches.

The RK3 Ringer/Shaper seems interesting to me. If I understand it correctly it's some kind of PLL that works poorly.

I just ordered a R-56, the spring reverb. This is challenging in two ways for me. I like adding a bit or reverb while I'm patching but I always record dry since I want to be able to decide on effects when I'm mixing, well after the recording stage. So, I'm thinking I'll use it to colour sounds and then put it all through a VCA, triggered by an envelope, to get distinct, rhythmic melodies. We'll see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
You have such a nice room. I love so much this kind of aesthetics/colour combinations. Very Scandinavian.
Thanks! And 100% correct, no doubt. All the furniture in the picture is from Hay (Danish company) and IKEA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
There is definitely something to be said for simplicity in modular. You end up squeezing a lot more out of what you have, which takes you down creative paths that you may not have thought of otherwise.
I do agree about how limitations can be very inspiring. Unfortunately, I don't find a 420hp setup to be very limiting.
Old 18th August 2019
  #687
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I don't really know much about the old Metasonix modules, I've only checked out the ones that are available presently.

What I don't get are folks that get full cases with Metasonix modules. Based on the videos I've seen everything comes out sounding like a broken 80s printer. But to each their own, I guess. I'm interested in getting a tiny bit of the Metasonix sound into my patches.

The RK3 Ringer/Shaper seems interesting to me. If I understand it correctly it's some kind of PLL that works poorly.

I just ordered a R-56, the spring reverb. This is challenging in two ways for me. I like adding a bit or reverb while I'm patching but I always record dry since I want to be able to decide on effects when I'm mixing, well after the recording stage. So, I'm thinking I'll use it to colour sounds and then put it all through a VCA, triggered by an envelope, to get distinct, rhythmic melodies. We'll see how it turns out.


Thanks! And 100% correct, no doubt. All the furniture in the picture is from Hay (Danish company) and IKEA.


I do agree about how limitations can be very inspiring. Unfortunately, I don't find a 420hp setup to be very limiting.
Cool. I'm curious to hear how your Spring Reverb plans go/sound. It's an interesting approach.

(long time fan of Danish interior design.)
Old 18th August 2019
  #688
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I don't really know much about the old Metasonix modules, I've only checked out the ones that are available presently.

What I don't get are folks that get full cases with Metasonix modules. Based on the videos I've seen everything comes out sounding like a broken 80s printer. But to each their own, I guess. I'm interested in getting a tiny bit of the Metasonix sound into my patches.

The RK3 Ringer/Shaper seems interesting to me. If I understand it correctly it's some kind of PLL that works poorly.

I just ordered a R-56, the spring reverb. This is challenging in two ways for me. I like adding a bit or reverb while I'm patching but I always record dry since I want to be able to decide on effects when I'm mixing, well after the recording stage. So, I'm thinking I'll use it to colour sounds and then put it all through a VCA, triggered by an envelope, to get distinct, rhythmic melodies. We'll see how it turns out.


Thanks! And 100% correct, no doubt. All the furniture in the picture is from Hay (Danish company) and IKEA.


I do agree about how limitations can be very inspiring. Unfortunately, I don't find a 420hp setup to be very limiting.
Re Metasonix, fwiw, I think the ones I'm talking about are also current..

RK5 Dual LPG

RK2 VCA (though now the Trogotronic Tube VCA interests me more, but the DivKid video on the RK2 shows it in an excellent light).



R55 Oscillator



Quote:
The R-55 is essentially one of the VCOs in our legendary S-1000 Wretch Machine, boiled down into a 22U Eurorack module. It produces the notorious “sharkfin” sawtooth waveform of thyratron VCOs, replete with the weird pitch variations and apparent “noisiness” of a thyratron oscillator. Our new for 2017 version has a premium engraved aluminum panel.
Old 19th August 2019
  #689
Gear Head
 
Lisa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Re Metasonix, fwiw, I think the ones I'm talking about are also current..
True! RK2 and RK5 no doubt are but the R-55 isn’t listed on the page or available anywhere, it seems.
Old 25th August 2019
  #690
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
I will post pictures with my orphan modules that do not fit in my cases.
Whoa. I've also got an orphanage (so I understand how these things happen), but no where near as large as that.

You should find a home for that Doepfer A-127. That's a great module!

Quote:
I have eight 10U cases, all full with modules (which is 2016hp plus eight 1U for utilities) ...
Wow. That's like 5.478260869565217 derps!!

Btw in that photo of one of your housed systems, I spotted some really nice gear in the background.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump