The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Mother-32
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear
I always see these for sale used

I guess they are a few years old now, which is the time it takes to judge the usefulness of something like this

What's the long-term verdict on the 32? Why all the used units (They don't ever seem to sell either)

Was this a fun toy for it's time, that people moved on from once the novelty wore off?

Do any who have one consider them a keeper?

What's the poop on the Mother 32, now that time has passed?
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsdrawnigh View Post
That is caused by stuck MIDI notes. I have also get them on the Mother-32 occasionally, but haven't been able to find a solution other than using the "notes off" command on my MIDI controller.
"NOOOOO!!!!!!!......ARGGGGGGG!!!!"

.....sorry, Microbrute P.T.S.D..................
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
1. Yes. Use the CV mixer.
2. Not sure, that Lin FM input produces crazy results no matter what I plug into it...it's all interesting, but so far I have yet to make it do anything tonal or musical.
I only got real results when I used the oscillator from my other Mother-32. Using anything from the same Mother 32 just changed the pitch. After A/B testing it to the the other mother 32 with the same patch, tuning them to the same pitch caused them to produce the same harmonic content. Yeah, so outside oscillator is required to get the true effects. Got this idea from a post below this one in which the poster said to use another oscillator.
Old 17th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftnopistons View Post
I only got real results when I used the oscillator from my other Mother-32. Using anything from the same Mother 32 just changed the pitch. After A/B testing it to the the other mother 32 with the same patch, tuning them to the same pitch caused them to produce the same harmonic content. Yeah, so outside oscillator is required to get the true effects. Got this idea from a post below this one in which the poster said to use another oscillator.
Yeah. I sold my mother-32 and got a Futhrrrr Generator and managed to learn that for myself as well.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I always see these for sale used

I guess they are a few years old now, which is the time it takes to judge the usefulness of something like this

What's the long-term verdict on the 32? Why all the used units (They don't ever seem to sell either)

Was this a fun toy for it's time, that people moved on from once the novelty wore off?

Do any who have one consider them a keeper?

What's the poop on the Mother 32, now that time has passed?
Late reply but...

I got 3 years out of my pair. Great sound, great sequencer and nice overall package. Eventually I got bored with them and the sequencer started to annoy me. Ratchets are cool until you overuse them.

I bought some Make Noise & Verbos modules with the $$$.
Old 23rd December 2018
Here for the gear

Just posted about this in the DFAM thread too, but this looks interesting:

FamilyTool – a versatile modular synthesizer extension by UNCPROP Modular —Kickstarter
Old 24th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by duo2sonic View Post
Just posted about this in the DFAM thread too, but this looks interesting:

FamilyTool – a versatile modular synthesizer extension by UNCPROP Modular —Kickstarter
What a neat little box. If you're running the Mother-32 in it's own enclosure, this is interesting for sure. You can't have too many utility modules.
Old 24th December 2018
Here for the gear
Seems there are still slots for €199 per unit in the first run. I like the idea but the need for an extra power cable just for this small enclosure might put me off.
Old 25th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercfinger View Post
Seems there are still slots for €199 per unit in the first run. I like the idea but the need for an extra power cable just for this small enclosure might put me off.
No need for a power cable.
“*The MULT-OR-SWITCH module operates passively. To power other eurorack modules, we have planned an internal PSU (Power Supply Unit) as a stretch goal...”
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercfinger View Post
No extra power cable need
and we've added the internal PSU as well:

Breaking news: PSU now included for everyone – from the very first case.

From day one we have been following the discussions online and in person about the FamilyTool. And we have identified two main talking points: 1) price and 2) „God, I hope it reaches the stretch goal PSU“.
Talk no more and be prepared to have your days made: We were able to tackle them both.
We shoved up our physical sleeves and negotiated with our main suppliers, some of them are rooted in the community as well and were very understanding. We also shoved up our mental sleeves and gave some more thought to the development of a power supply unit for our case. These efforts combined allow us to – drumroll: GIVE EACH BACKER AN INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY UNIT.
This means that the PSU is no longer a stretch goal, but will be included in every backer’s case. Also, there is no additional cost, of course. By going down this route we hope to not only give everyone a better, more versatile product, but also at a more reasonable cost point respectively.
Let us know what you think – we’re excited!
Love,
the UNCPROP team
From day one we have been following the discussions online and in person about the FamilyTool. And we have identified two main talking points: 1) price and 2) „God, I hope it reaches the stretch goal PSU“.
Talk no more and be prepared to have your days made: We were able to tackle them both.
We shoved up our physical sleeves and negotiated with our main suppliers, some of them are rooted in the community as well and were very understanding. We also shoved up our mental sleeves and gave some more thought to the development of a power supply unit for our case. These efforts combined allow us to – drumroll: GIVE EACH BACKER AN INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY UNIT.
This means that the PSU is no longer a stretch goal, but will be included in every backer’s case. Also, there is no additional cost, of course. By going down this route we hope to not only give everyone a better, more versatile product, but also at a more reasonable cost point respectively.
Let us know what you think – we’re excited!
Love,
the UNCPROP team
Old 12th January 2019
You repeated your sales pitch twice.....
Seems expensive for a few passive functions.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Was there ever an update that added legato glide over MIDI? I love the M32 to bits but it's one feature I'd sure love to have
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

i want a damn pattern chaining feature finally. maybe via a update.
Old 12th August 2019
Just tracked the Mother for bass lines on a dance track. Wow this things sits in this mix perfectly Sounds like nothing else in my room. I tried all kinds of soft synths and other analog synths first and nothing came close.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

There is one of these for sale in my small city for approx 400 usd.

I think they sound fantastic.

I have a K2000 controller I use as a controller for Vsti's etc.

I play GTR bass and drums as well.

How could the Mother integrate into my setup?

Are most feeding it sequences from the DAW?

Can you "play it" with a controller?

It seems a good price so just wondering what different ways it can be used. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
There is one of these for sale in my small city for approx 400 usd.

I think they sound fantastic.

I have a K2000 controller I use as a controller for Vsti's etc.

I play GTR bass and drums as well.

How could the Mother integrate into my setup?

Are most feeding it sequences from the DAW?

Can you "play it" with a controller?

It seems a good price so just wondering what different ways it can be used. Thanks.
Yeah, you can totally feed it from a sequencer or a controller. It plays very nicely with MIDI.
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Maniac

you can make sequences in the DAW and record them with the Mother32. hit Shift+Record on the M32, play the DAW sequence and the steps will be recorded. but make sure the sequence is not in loop mode. rests, ties and everything else will be not recognised by the M32, you need to erase unwanted steps manually.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search