The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Mother-32
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Nut
thanks for the tips, ringodyssey.

got my swapped out M32, seems to track a little better, but still imperfect beyond about 2 octaves

... so i ordered a CP 251! hopefully it will do the job! will be cool to have another S+H + LFO if nothing else :D

now i need to find somewhere that does good quality 1/8" -> 1/4" mono cables of a decent length in the UK (surprisingly hard to do!)
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Do you think you're running into this?

Moog Music Forum • View topic - Dose the voyager track at 1V/oct?
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Nut
it's quite possible, yes! it was definitely slightly different in terms of tracking to the KARP, however they were both out, so it makes me think it could be a more general issue (some mentioned impedance ... i don't understand it, but i wonder if that's the root of it?)

just checked ... the new one doesn't track well at all with the Odyssey. hmmm. hopefully i will be able to use the mult and 2x attenuators from CP251 to get them both going properly!
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I was under the impression that the Mother output -5 to +5 and most CV is 0-10v... no?
Yeah. It makes sequencing other gear problematic.
Old 24th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah. It makes sequencing other gear problematic.

Just need a voltage adder of some type. The Intellijel Triatt is the simplest implementation of this (I know you know buddy, just mentioning for everyone else). The whole thing becomes "problematic" when folks are stuck on the idea of tracking over huge ranges of octaves (not realistic with anything in analog eurorack in my experience), or only using semi-modulars and unwilling to go "full modular". 0-10v is probably the most common but I have seen lots of weird stuff out there lately, and only a few of my modules conform to any standards at all really. For Example MI Rings' V/oct in is -1 to +5 volts. Elements is +/-8volts, etc. I have also seen modules (or at least read about it on Muffs) that claim to use 1.2 v/oct AND 1v/oct (figure that one out). The only company that seems to be razor-accurate with this stuff from module to module in my experience is Intellijel, 5v actually equals 5.0v on my multimeter, not a quivering range around it. Semi- modulars seem to play by whatever rules suit the maker at the time, irrespective of how it will interact with other objects...

The modular world is not for those rigidly adherent to "rules" and "standards" IMO, you will end up disappointed in the end. This is a thing made by MANY different people, from nearly every 1st world country too. No way everyone is going to get it exactly the same even if they were trying to, and they aren't. The dudes making this **** are an eccentric bunch (see Metasonix), prone to mad-scientism (see Mutable Instruments) and outright insanity (Synthrotek) if you ask me. Solder fumes=crazy brain eventually...

Tuning by ear and just playing is the way to go IMO, trying to figure out how many octaves I can track or what weird scale I could make was driving me crazy at first. I let all that go and just listened and Euro got a lot more fun. If I want to track over a huge range I use my Slim Phatty which is meant for this and easy to do. Sure, I could probably sit there for an hour twiddling this knob and that to try and get the Mother to sound good from one end to the other, but why would I when a fixed-architecture synth is way more appropriate for that? Right tool for the job and all that...
Old 25th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspacerec View Post
it's quite possible, yes! it was definitely slightly different in terms of tracking to the KARP, however they were both out, so it makes me think it could be a more general issue (some mentioned impedance ... i don't understand it, but i wonder if that's the root of it?)

just checked ... the new one doesn't track well at all with the Odyssey. hmmm. hopefully i will be able to use the mult and 2x attenuators from CP251 to get them both going properly!
You will get a large range of tracking with the KARP if you go from KB out into MIX1 and then use the VC MIX knob set to MIX1 (full ccw). With both the KARP and m32 at normal tuning positions (halfway) there will be a one octave difference between them so tune either the m32 down or the KARP up to fit your needs. You get about a 6 octave range of perfect tracking. IMO the KARP is shiite to sequence in that way and much better to play while the pedal input is where the fun lives.
Old 26th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Just need a voltage adder of some type. The Intellijel Triatt is the simplest implementation of this (I know you know buddy, just mentioning for everyone else). The whole thing becomes "problematic" when folks are stuck on the idea of tracking over huge ranges of octaves (not realistic with anything in analog eurorack in my experience), or only using semi-modulars and unwilling to go "full modular". 0-10v is probably the most common but I have seen lots of weird stuff out there lately, and only a few of my modules conform to any standards at all really. For Example MI Rings' V/oct in is -1 to +5 volts. Elements is +/-8volts, etc. I have also seen modules (or at least read about it on Muffs) that claim to use 1.2 v/oct AND 1v/oct (figure that one out). The only company that seems to be razor-accurate with this stuff from module to module in my experience is Intellijel, 5v actually equals 5.0v on my multimeter, not a quivering range around it. Semi- modulars seem to play by whatever rules suit the maker at the time, irrespective of how it will interact with other objects...

The modular world is not for those rigidly adherent to "rules" and "standards" IMO, you will end up disappointed in the end. This is a thing made by MANY different people, from nearly every 1st world country too. No way everyone is going to get it exactly the same even if they were trying to, and they aren't. The dudes making this **** are an eccentric bunch (see Metasonix), prone to mad-scientism (see Mutable Instruments) and outright insanity (Synthrotek) if you ask me. Solder fumes=crazy brain eventually...

Tuning by ear and just playing is the way to go IMO, trying to figure out how many octaves I can track or what weird scale I could make was driving me crazy at first. I let all that go and just listened and Euro got a lot more fun. If I want to track over a huge range I use my Slim Phatty which is meant for this and easy to do. Sure, I could probably sit there for an hour twiddling this knob and that to try and get the Mother to sound good from one end to the other, but why would I when a fixed-architecture synth is way more appropriate for that? Right tool for the job and all that...
Right. That's a great way to think about it. Your Phattys, etc, are your dogs. Trainable, docile (maybe) and play well together. Modular is like a wild animal preserve.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict
I've just bought M32 and after 1,5 hour of messing with it, it suddenly start acting like being in VCA ON mode - there was continous sound even that i didn't pres any key on midi controller. VCA was set in EG mode, Sustain in ON mode.

When i changed VCA to ON mode i could press any key and the sound was changing but after releasing this key continous sound was going back to the first one when it started acting up.
When VCA was in EG mode again, it was like there was two doubled midi messages - one sound when hitting the key and second sound when releasing it and than continous sound occures. When i pull out midi cable the continous sound didn't stop.

When i again set VCA mode to ON and than back to EG, and the same with Sustain from On to EG continous sound stopped but after some pressing the keys it started to acting up again.

When i powered it off and on everything came to normal. But i have a question should i be worried? Any of you had simmilar issue? Maybe it was just something wrong with midi?

Great great sound btw.
Old 25th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I've just bought M32 and after 1,5 hour of messing with it, it suddenly start acting like being in VCA ON mode - there was continous sound even that i didn't pres any key on midi controller. VCA was set in EG mode, Sustain in ON mode.

When i changed VCA to ON mode i could press any key and the sound was changing but after releasing this key continous sound was going back to the first one when it started acting up.
When VCA was in EG mode again, it was like there was two doubled midi messages - one sound when hitting the key and second sound when releasing it and than continous sound occures. When i pull out midi cable the continous sound didn't stop.

When i again set VCA mode to ON and than back to EG, and the same with Sustain from On to EG continous sound stopped but after some pressing the keys it started to acting up again.

When i powered it off and on everything came to normal. But i have a question should i be worried? Any of you had simmilar issue? Maybe it was just something wrong with midi?

Great great sound btw.
That is caused by stuck MIDI notes. I have also get them on the Mother-32 occasionally, but haven't been able to find a solution other than using the "notes off" command on my MIDI controller.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsdrawnigh View Post
That is caused by stuck MIDI notes. I have also get them on the Mother-32 occasionally, but haven't been able to find a solution other than using the "notes off" command on my MIDI controller.
Thanks, thats a relief.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Addict
Two questions for you guys:

1. Can we control somehow Lfo Amount when using Cv Lfo Out to another synthesizer's oscillator or sth.?
2. How to use properly VCO Lin Fm input - by feedeing it with i.e. lfo? Another osc? What will give me most interesting results?
Old 2nd February 2017
Quote:

1. Can we control somehow Lfo Amount when using Cv Lfo Out to another synthesizer's oscillator or sth.?
2. How to use properly VCO Lin Fm input - by feedeing it with i.e. lfo? Another osc? What will give me most interesting results?
1. Yes. Use the CV mixer.
2. Not sure, that Lin FM input produces crazy results no matter what I plug into it...it's all interesting, but so far I have yet to make it do anything tonal or musical.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
1. Yes. Use the CV mixer.
2. Not sure, that Lin FM input produces crazy results no matter what I plug into it...it's all interesting, but so far I have yet to make it do anything tonal or musical.
Thanks, i haven't thought about CV mixer. I've just started with modular side of the synths.
I plugged osc to LIN FM input there wasn't much happening, more results with lfo but like you've wrote nothing useful come out of it. I thought that from FM we should always get some great sounds.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Thanks, i haven't thought about CV mixer. I've just started with modular side of the synths.
I plugged osc to LIN FM input there wasn't much happening, more results with lfo but like you've wrote nothing useful come out of it. I thought that from FM we should always get some great sounds.
Try KB or an LFO, maybe mix an LFO and OSC or Noise then go into FM. I often use external modulation on the mother such as Maths or Octocontroller, and then end up using the Mother's LFO's on something else.
Old 3rd February 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Yeah, modulating an oscillator's frequency with itself probably won't work very well... You need a second oscillator, preferably running through an attenuator first, so you can adjust the FM amount (such as can be done with the CV mixer). That's why you are getting better results with the LFO, though in that case you might as well just use the built-in VCO mod (no patching necessary). I think FM is generally more useful with keyboard tracking affecting the modulating oscillator's pitch, so patching the keyboard output into the LFO rate might help.

Since it sounds like you don't have another CV-controlled oscillator, you might also want to give filter FM a try: patch one of the VCO outputs into the mixer, and then out to the VCF cutoff. Turn the resonance all the way up so that the filter is self-oscillating. Then adjust the mix knob (or you could modulate the VC mix with the LFO, envelope, etc.) and cutoff knob to taste. It is still a bit difficult to get something "musical," but it sure sounds amazing!
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

LFO out into Mixer input 1, then use the mixer knob to control the amount of LFO.

For FM input, if you have another oscillator available, plug its output into the input 1 of the mixer. At first, turn the mixer knob to be fully on input 1. Now tune (using the tune and/or fine tune knob) the oscillator that's input into the FM input so that it sounds nice with the Mother's Osc. Now dial back the amount of FM input via the mixer knob, turning it away from Input 1.

Then change the tuning of the FM input oscillator and listen to all hell break loose.

Bonus points to use an LFO to control the amount of FM input, but plugging the LFO into the mixer control.

More bonus points plugging another oscillator output into input 2 on the mixer.
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Try KB or an LFO, maybe mix an LFO and OSC or Noise then go into FM
AFAIR combining noise with fm input gave me some results

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsdrawnigh View Post
Yeah, modulating an oscillator's frequency with itself probably won't work very well... You need a second oscillator, preferably running through an attenuator first, so you can adjust the FM amount (such as can be done with the CV mixer). That's why you are getting better results with the LFO, though in that case you might as well just use the built-in VCO mod (no patching necessary). I think FM is generally more useful with keyboard tracking affecting the modulating oscillator's pitch, so patching the keyboard output into the LFO rate might help.

Since it sounds like you don't have another CV-controlled oscillator, you might also want to give filter FM a try: patch one of the VCO outputs into the mixer, and then out to the VCF cutoff. Turn the resonance all the way up so that the filter is self-oscillating. Then adjust the mix knob (or you could modulate the VC mix with the LFO, envelope, etc.) and cutoff knob to taste. It is still a bit difficult to get something "musical," but it sure sounds amazing!
Thanks, this filter FM combination is great, some nice experimental sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
LFO out into Mixer input 1, then use the mixer knob to control the amount of LFO.
it seems it doesn't control it in normal way when plugged like this, it rather changes start point and end point of the pitch change (when i.e. mixer out to Vco pitch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
For FM input, if you have another oscillator available, plug its output into the input 1 of the mixer. At first, turn the mixer knob to be fully on input 1. Now tune (using the tune and/or fine tune knob) the oscillator that's input into the FM input so that it sounds nice with the Mother's Osc. Now dial back the amount of FM input via the mixer knob, turning it away from Input 1.

Then change the tuning of the FM input oscillator and listen to all hell break loose.

Bonus points to use an LFO to control the amount of FM input, but plugging the LFO into the mixer control.

More bonus points plugging another oscillator output into input 2 on the mixer.
This time my oscillator from Boomstar works quite well as oscillator input to FM input, adding lfo to vc mixer made it more fun
Old 12th February 2017
Here for the gear
Hello!
I wonder is there a chance to sync the tempo from roland spd sx with mother 32? or maybe from dave smith's tetra.
And what type of equipment can we use for that purpose in general, except the laptops

Thanx!
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Did anyone manage to overdrive the filter "properly" á la feedback style like on the other Moogs? Pump up the volume and feed it back into EXT IN or?
Old 17th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Did anyone manage to overdrive the filter "properly" á la feedback style like on the other Moogs? Pump up the volume and feed it back into EXT IN or?
I'm not sure it's really designed to do that particular Moog trick. Eurorack levels are already very hot, and the Mother's ext in is designed to accept very hot signals so I am not sure you can achieve the same effect with the mama as the Mini or the MG-1 (I used to own both and do this trick frequently so I get what you are talking about). Running the osc outs to the ext in gives the ability to mix a square and a triangle together or anything from the outside world, but I am not sure what it would take to overdrive it other than running it through some other VCA that was designed to overdrive the signal and then back in but even then I just don't think it would be the same...
Old 17th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_head View Post
Hello!
I wonder is there a chance to sync the tempo from roland spd sx with mother 32? or maybe from dave smith's tetra.
And what type of equipment can we use for that purpose in general, except the laptops

Thanx!
2 midi cables and maybe a little menu diving/manual reading and you can sync all 3.

SPDSX Midi out>Tetra midi in

Tetra Midi out(or thru if it has it)>Mother-32 midi in

You'll have to get the Roland spitting out clock but it should be easy. Tetra should pass anything from the in to the out or thru by default but if it isn't you can find it in the setup menu. Mother should hear clock automatically and the Tempo knob becomes a clock divider when it does.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure it's really designed to do that particular Moog trick. Eurorack levels are already very hot, and the Mother's ext in is designed to accept very hot signals so I am not sure you can achieve the same effect with the mama as the Mini or the MG-1 (I used to own both and do this trick frequently so I get what you are talking about). Running the osc outs to the ext in gives the ability to mix a square and a triangle together or anything from the outside world, but I am not sure what it would take to overdrive it other than running it through some other VCA that was designed to overdrive the signal and then back in but even then I just don't think it would be the same...
I see what you´re saying here but at some point it has to start to break up given a loud enough signal, right?

Might have to ask Amos about this. It´s kind of essential for my sound.
Old 17th March 2017
Here for the gear
Thank you!
Old 17th March 2017
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
I haven't been able to get the Mother-32 filter to overdrive. It seems like it stays super clean, even with a few external VCOs mixed in at full volume.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I haven't been able to get the Mother-32 filter to overdrive. It seems like it stays super clean, even with a few external VCOs mixed in at full volume.
Thanks for responding Sean! Read your old post here about trying out the filter overdrive but its shame you can't view all pages and search like on muffwiggler for example.

Have you tried cranking up the signal with a preamp to the gigawatts and ramming it into filter?
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict

is anyone of you having a scratchy/warbly filter pot? mine seems to be a bit jumpy/jerky, oh and my mother32 does not turn on anymore after giving it 9V from a voodoo lab pedal, I usually ran it from 12V on either original psu, car adapter 12V or 12V from pedal power plus - any ideas what might have gone wrong/faulty?
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomylee View Post
is anyone of you having a scratchy/warbly filter pot? mine seems to be a bit jumpy/jerky, oh and my mother32 does not turn on anymore after giving it 9V from a voodoo lab pedal, I usually ran it from 12V on either original psu, car adapter 12V or 12V from pedal power plus - any ideas what might have gone wrong/faulty?
If you gave it 9v negative tip from the VL supply, it would not have liked that. Contact Moog.

Scratchy pot is most likely just dust.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict

thanks! I'm waiting for a reply - of course I used an inverted polarity cable though, have been using the MOM with the pedalboard 12V for a long time, no issues.
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Nut

Sorry if this has been asked and explained a million times but...

Can I use the Mother 32 as a Midi -> CV converter for other gear? Would be nice to send midi data from ableton for example and play the SH-101.
Old 26th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoji View Post
Sorry if this has been asked and explained a million times but...

Can I use the Mother 32 as a Midi -> CV converter for other gear? Would be nice to send midi data from ableton for example and play the SH-101.
Check the v/oct voltage range on both (in the manual), and look forward to some experimenting with the mixer and attenuation to get it just right.

Hint: Moog is +5v/-5v.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search