The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Mother-32
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Addict

Hey all
Got myself a mommy and really love it but i cant get my head around how to use this as my main sequencer.
My setup is minimalistic, just starting again..
Electric piano (pianet t) with sonuus i2m and g2m to trigger midi with it
EH mel9
And now moog mother 32

I want to get a little sample player like the mpx8 from akai and have my drum samples (self sampled) on there and to be playable and sequenceable from the Mother seq.

How on earth do i manage this?
Some gate out to midi in on sample player?
Or splitting the mothers audio and use the Sonuus G2M to trigger the samples?

There must be a way no?

Also can someone explain to ke if overdubbing a sequence is possible and if, how?
Like playing mentioned drums, play as loop on the m32 seq and add more layers of sound from its vco etc.
I just have to find a way to reserve some higher octave of the m32 seq for the external drum sounds, but i dont think that will work while still being able to get mother to sound in lower octaves and driving that external drum samples..

Someone can clear this confusion?
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion-five View Post
Hey all
Got myself a mommy and really love it but i cant get my head around how to use this as my main sequencer.
My setup is minimalistic, just starting again..
Electric piano (pianet t) with sonuus i2m and g2m to trigger midi with it
EH mel9
And now moog mother 32

I want to get a little sample player like the mpx8 from akai and have my drum samples (self sampled) on there and to be playable and sequenceable from the Mother seq.

How on earth do i manage this?
Some gate out to midi in on sample player?
Or splitting the mothers audio and use the Sonuus G2M to trigger the samples?

There must be a way no?

Also can someone explain to ke if overdubbing a sequence is possible and if, how?
Like playing mentioned drums, play as loop on the m32 seq and add more layers of sound from its vco etc.
I just have to find a way to reserve some higher octave of the m32 seq for the external drum sounds, but i dont think that will work while still being able to get mother to sound in lower octaves and driving that external drum samples..

Someone can clear this confusion?

Mother 32 does send cv gate so you could potentially send it to a cv/midi converter into your sampler, but it has a monophonic sequencer. So no, you can't overdub a sequence as it is not multitrack.
Old 21st September 2016
Here for the gear

here is the setings for midi sync in Octatrack:
in the Octatrack Setings MIDI/Sync:
uncheck TRANSP SEND and RECV, the same in CLOCK, uncheck SEND and RECV,
also in PROG CH uncheck SEND.
Now enjoy! Octatrack and Mother 32 midi sync with no M32 sequencer interference.
Old 21st September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidisorder View Post
here is the setings for midi sync in Octatrack:
in the Octatrack Setings MIDI/Sync:
uncheck TRANSP SEND and RECV, the same in CLOCK, uncheck SEND and RECV,
also in PROG CH uncheck SEND.
Now enjoy! Octatrack and Mother 32 midi sync with no M32 sequencer interference.
Umm how exactly are they in sync without sending clock from the OT?
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear
Can't find any info on it, maybe it is caaled differently- does M32 has the oscillator restart or "note sync" as they call it on minitaur. While i'm at it, does any other newer moog has this besides minitaur?
Old 26th October 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRayJoeBob View Post
Buy a Sub37 and use Mom as a third OSC.
Hi Billy Ray!
I have a Sub 37 and a MOM 32. How can I use Mom as a third oscilator?
Thank you!
Old 26th October 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Hi! Could you please explain this setup?
I have a Mom 32 and a System 1m is on the mail.
Can you tell me more about the case? The rest of the equipment?
Thank you!
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Hi Billy Ray!
I have a Sub 37 and a MOM 32. How can I use Mom as a third oscilator?
Thank you!
VCO out of the MOM into the Sub37 audio input, use Sub37's Ext Input to mix into the Sub37 sound.
Old 26th October 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
VCO out of the MOM into the Sub37 audio input, use Sub37's Ext Input to mix into the Sub37 sound.
THANKS!
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Hi! Could you please explain this setup?
I have a Mom 32 and a System 1m is on the mail.
Can you tell me more about the case? The rest of the equipment?
Thank you!
Hi!

OK, first of all... it's not real, right? Just a modular grid layout in an 84hp monorocket case style.

I don't know if they even make one like that, but it's 10U: 3 X 3U plus a 1U tile row at the bottom filled with pulp logic attenuators and mults.

The 3U row in the middle is one each of the roland 500 euro modules and an EMW mult.

The row with the mother32 has two aion moog 921 style oscillators.

I've somehow managed not to buy any euro still, but have gone way overboard on secondhand 5U (MU and MOTM)... spurred on, in part, by black euro fever.

I just went biggerer.
Old 5th November 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Hi!

OK, first of all... it's not real, right? Just a modular grid layout in an 84hp monorocket case style.

I don't know if they even make one like that, but it's 10U: 3 X 3U plus a 1U tile row at the bottom filled with pulp logic attenuators and mults.

The 3U row in the middle is one each of the roland 500 euro modules and an EMW mult.

The row with the mother32 has two aion moog 921 style oscillators.

I've somehow managed not to buy any euro still, but have gone way overboard on secondhand 5U (MU and MOTM)... spurred on, in part, by black euro fever.

I just went biggerer.
Thank you antithesist!!!
Old 7th November 2016
Finally picked up a Mother recently and ordered a second within an hour of playing.

I love being able to select intervals super fast via the key buttons when receiving CV from another synth. I find that C being the default key for sequences is pretty annoying, other than that the sequencer is pretty much perfect for me.

Last edited by 330128; 7th November 2016 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: People think I'm stupid
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330128 View Post
Finally picked up a Mother recently and ordered a second within an hour of playing.

I love being able to select intervals super fast via the key buttons when receiving CV from another synth. I find that C being the default/only key for sequences is pretty annoying, other than that the sequencer is pretty much perfect for me.
The empty sequences default to a C note when playing, but you can create sequences in any key. Just because the scale of the 1 octave keyboard is C to C doesn't mean you can't write in other keys.
Old 7th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelltodd View Post
The empty sequences default to a C note when playing, but you can create sequences in any key. Just because the scale of the 1 octave keyboard is C to C doesn't mean you can't write in other keys.
Haha yes obviously!

No it's just annoying when transposing like say I write my sequence in G and want to transpose it a whole step to A while it's playing then I have to play a D on the keyboard rather than the actual note which is pretty counter-intuitive.
Old 7th November 2016
Quote:
Haha yes obviously!

No it's just annoying when transposing like say I write my sequence in G and want to transpose it a whole step to A while it's playing then I have to play a D on the keyboard rather than the actual note which is pretty counter-intuitive.
What keyboard are you using?
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

It seems logical, write all your sequences in C if you want to achieve this.
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Haha yes obviously!

It just requires you to think of notes in a different way. Key changes are all relative, you just have to think of moving up to the 3rd, 5th, etc regardless of original key.

I personally like the way that during sequence playback the keyboard takes on a different function. Rather than playing notes, it functions as a transposer, triggering different intervals by pressing each of the 13 key buttons (or more if using a midi controller). As long as you know what key you're starting in it shouldn't be too difficult. For me it's very intuitive. But, I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited by lindelltodd; 7th November 2016 at 04:07 PM..
Old 11th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
What keyboard are you using?
Just CV from KARP

I really have no issues.

If I was performing, I'd just mute everything and transpose the sequence before I start.

I have it patched up like:

CV in from KARP

VCO Pulse or Saw to VC MIX used as an attenuator/volume control then into the KARP ext. audio in.

Having a 3rd oscillator on the KARP that you can select any interval instantly is a dream come true. I got bored in about 5 minutes sending the KARP CV/GATE from the mother which was my initial intended use, mainly just to be able to use a pitch wheel with the KARP LOL.

Not sure I want to get into Euro at all but I'm starting to dream of a Dual VCO, 4ms Looping Delay and some kind of mixer.

Yesterday I did the filter bypass to my Casio SK1 and now it's a pretty fun toy run through one of the mothers.
Old 11th November 2016
Quote:

If I was performing, I'd just mute everything and transpose the sequence before I start.
This is what I was going to suggest depending on how elegant the transpose function was on your keyboard...
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Nut

Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. When sending pitch cv from an external midi module/ Beatstep Pro etc to the Mother, would I need a offset module like the Intellijel Triatt between the two? The Mother pitch cv is -5v to +5v and it seems that the Beatstep and Intellijel uMidi send 0-10v. Or am I way off base here? thanks
Old 17th December 2016
My first Moog, I made a little demo song.

All sounds from Mother-32.

Old 17th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallow pond View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. When sending pitch cv from an external midi module/ Beatstep Pro etc to the Mother, would I need a offset module like the Intellijel Triatt between the two? The Mother pitch cv is -5v to +5v and it seems that the Beatstep and Intellijel uMidi send 0-10v. Or am I way off base here? thanks
Yes that's what I use. Triatt.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Yes that's what I use. Triatt.
Thank you Slaughtrhaus
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm having a hard time following the "tutorial-creating a pattern in keyboard mode" that starts on page 19 of the manual. I'm following the instructions exactly, but it's not working. Is there a problem with the manual? This is the second Mother 32 that I've tried, and I couldn't get either one to work

Last edited by slowtrain; 23rd December 2016 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Nut
got my M32, love it to bits. except for the KB Out - i think it tracks in ok in the V/Oct input, at least from my Karp Odyssey, but going out it's definitely off (worse still, slightly differently) on both my Odyssey and the Moog Voyager Select i mainly bought it to use alongside. (side note: 4 moog oscs with 3 moog filters sounds ridiculous)

this may be the sort of topic for another thread, but i wondered if any Voyager owners or modular heads could shed any light on this, as mostly i've stayed in fixed architecture world until now, besides an MS20 ...

anyway, i've managed to get the Voyager and Karp to track pretty well by using the mix buss to (i'm guessing) reduce the signal somewhat (does the mix buss work that way if you don't have a second input?) at about 9'oclock it sounds right-ish over a couple of octaves at least, but it's a real nightmare to tune!

i'm already looking into Voyager add-ons, such as the CP-251 (a standalone box which has two "attenuators with offsets", S+H + "buffered" mult + extra LFO) or the VX-351, which is a box which connects directly to the Voyager, with most of its CV outs as well as two "attenuators without offsets" + two mults)

would i be able to calibrate my Mother's KB Out this way, freeing up the mix buss for modulation purposes? which box would better suit my needs? (trying to avoid full modular here, but ...)

general modular questions:

- what do attenuators do? do they reduce or boost the signal?
- what does offset do? do i need it? (related to which box i may need)

- what is a buffered input? i heard mention on muff wiggler something to do with using one from people who were having similar issues in a thread there.

or should it 'just work'? :D any help much appreciated
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspacerec View Post
got my M32, love it to bits. except for the KB Out - i think it tracks in ok in the V/Oct input, at least from my Karp Odyssey, but going out it's definitely off (worse still, slightly differently) on both my Odyssey and the Moog Voyager Select i mainly bought it to use alongside. (side note: 4 moog oscs with 3 moog filters sounds ridiculous)

this may be the sort of topic for another thread, but i wondered if any Voyager owners or modular heads could shed any light on this, as mostly i've stayed in fixed architecture world until now, besides an MS20 ...

anyway, i've managed to get the Voyager and Karp to track pretty well by using the mix buss to (i'm guessing) reduce the signal somewhat (does the mix buss work that way if you don't have a second input?) at about 9'oclock it sounds right-ish over a couple of octaves at least, but it's a real nightmare to tune!

i'm already looking into Voyager add-ons, such as the CP-251 (a standalone box which has two "attenuators with offsets", S+H + "buffered" mult + extra LFO) or the VX-351, which is a box which connects directly to the Voyager, with most of its CV outs as well as two "attenuators without offsets" + two mults)

would i be able to calibrate my Mother's KB Out this way, freeing up the mix buss for modulation purposes? which box would better suit my needs? (trying to avoid full modular here, but ...)

general modular questions:

- what do attenuators do? do they reduce or boost the signal?
- what does offset do? do i need it? (related to which box i may need)

- what is a buffered input? i heard mention on muff wiggler something to do with using one from people who were having similar issues in a thread there.

or should it 'just work'? :D any help much appreciated
Cp251 is awesome. Great add on.

Attenuators reduce signal.

Offset increases or decreases Voltage. (D.C. Offset) Say you have something outputting from 0 - 5 volts and want it to output from 5 - 10 volts. Run signal through offset set at +5v.

Buffered just means powered vs passive. You can invert signals and get no voltage loss from buffered.
Old 23rd December 2016
Gear Nut
thanks ImNotDeadYet -

so the fact that i'm needing to attenuate both the Karp and the Voyager would mean that the Mother must be spitting out too many volts / octave?

i actually have a display model M32 for now which will be swapped out for a new one when the shop gets one in stock. is it possible a new M32 could have the correct output calibration - or is it more likely that both my other synths are off on their inputs (neither is particularly old, the Voyager being about 3 years since voice board replacement and calibration, the Karp is about a year old and very tightly calibrated with itself at least.)

or is it even possible that the new M32 could produce less voltage than the volt per octave, and then presumably a regular attenuator wouldn't do the job?

is it like this in Euro world, where most pitches need to be scaled by hand, or do things normally work pretty smoothly?
Old 23rd December 2016
Lives for gear

I was under the impression that the Mother output -5 to +5 and most CV is 0-10v... no?
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Nut
i honestly have no idea as regard voltage specs ... but i reduced the KB Out CV via the mixer, and that made it track well enough for an octave or two, so i figured it was spitting out too much per octave and the attenuator was counteracting that albeit imprecisely

well, the unit's being swapped out for a new one tomorrow, so i'll see if it tracks any better
Old 24th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicspacerec View Post
i honestly have no idea as regard voltage specs ... but i reduced the KB Out CV via the mixer, and that made it track well enough for an octave or two, so i figured it was spitting out too much per octave and the attenuator was counteracting that albeit imprecisely

well, the unit's being swapped out for a new one tomorrow, so i'll see if it tracks any better
It is my understanding it's an impedance mismatch rectified by using a mult/mixer. KB out from one Mother to 1v/oct on a second mother tracks fine but with external you need to go through the mult/mixer to get correct tracking. I just use a CP-251 like mentioned in earlier posts to free up those utilities on the Mother.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search