The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modular market exploding and Gearslutz
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Modular market exploding and Gearslutz

It appears there is an issue with the state of Gearslutz to come to terms with what is happening in the real world.
So,

Modulars have been around for decades, way before dubstep and no they will not share the same massive "drop".

People have been using them to make nice "music" with keyboards and all, to all out east coast bonkers, glitched out atonal synthesis and everything in between.

There are different modular formats and there is some basic research to be done and you actually have to RTFM and that is it, its not rocket science. Myriads of people have been doing just fine so far, new users and old.

Its getting big cause a lot of people have been wanting more than just playing presets and they started actually programming their fixed architecture synths.
A lot of them wanted to go deeper into synthesis and modular was the best option to them.

A modular that costs as much as a mint JP8 will run circles around it, but it won't play these great pads, so you don't have to sell your JP8 its a killer synth anyway.

You don't have to choose between a brand spanking new Modulus or a modular, you can have both.

A lot of people prefer to program sequencers and switches and whatnot, instead of using a computer. Some even enjoy using both cause they both offer good things in the music.

There are A LOT of old and new, established producers that make a living, by releasing finished tracks they made using also modular synths.
Just because you see people posting little clips of atonal nonsense (to you) does not mean everyone blows 10 grand on a starter system just to sit in front of it and stroke their chins (beards) until they bleed and then upload it on youtube for other fellow chinstrokers.

Get over your inferiority complex. Seriously, you don't like it? You think it looks too complicated, even if you've never touched one? Its fine, there are tons of other synths to choose from that have presets and you can just play straight out of the box.
Owning a modular synth, or any expensive synth, is not a status quo, its the music that counts.

The fact is this: Modulars are booming. They have been rising in popularity for a long time before Roland decided to jump on the bandwagon.
Why? Cause people love to go deeper and love to not be constrained by the architecture a maker thought, would be enough.

You don't like them? Fair enough, although you should try out first hand what it is you don't like before you start thinking you know what people that love modulars, only like to make.

If anything, everyone should be happy, cause this is the kind of stuff that pushes everyone to do better, synth manufacturers and producers/musicians alike.
This will lead to new sounds, new synths, new ways of making music.
Don't be afraid of it, embrace.

If not, there's always your current favorite synths to make sweet music with.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios View Post
You don't like them? Fair enough, although you should try out first hand what it is you don't like before you start thinking you know what people that love modulars, only like to make.
Imo, if one is going to spend soooooooo much more time and effort tweaking and fiddling, the resulting music and sonics should be proportionately greater in terms of wow factor. I want to hear an EM accomplishment which correlates with the exceptionally arduous path.

That's my opinion, doesn't have to be yours though.
Old 27th April 2015
What got you mad to make this post?

I don't understand if your saying we need to like modular more or that were posers because modular is always popular.

Last edited by teknatronik; 27th April 2015 at 12:42 AM..
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Gearlsutz is about more diverse tastes than just modular. If you are a modular cultist, then why not just post over on Muff's and stop trying to imply that Slutz has somehow got a problem for being the way it is? Plenty people here are into modular, sure. So what? People here like modular AND all the other stuff to make music and noise....
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Imo, if one is going to spend soooooooo much more time and effort tweaking and fiddling, the resulting music and sonics should be proportionately greater in terms of wow factor. I want to hear an EM accomplishment which correlates with the exceptionally arduous path.

That's my opinion, doesn't have to be yours though.
Have you ever thought that some people enjoy spending time in the studio and are in no rush to leave it?
And who is going to be the judge of the "wow factor"?
Some people don't buy this stuff to "wow" anyone else, but them selves.
Which takes us back to the original post, owning and working with a modular synth is not a staus quo thing, its the music that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
What got you mad to make this post?
I am not mad, I did not even use foul language :D
Besides I am finishing my 12U rig after Mexico gig and when I am back I have the 5Ux12U wide Oakley modular on the way. How can I be mad?
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
Gearlsutz is about more diverse tastes than just modular. If you are a modular cultist, then why not just post over on Muff's and stop trying to imply that Slutz has somehow got a problem for being the way it is? Plenty people here are into modular, sure. So what? People here like modular AND all the other stuff to make music and noise....
I am not a modular cultist.
I have VAs even.
I post on Muffs as well.
Its just the amount of, well how do I say it, "fallacies" that I've been reading...its the same stuff over and over again, which reminds me this is Gearslutz as I know what this place is as well.

Just made this post to make people think, that this modular booming, is actually a good thing for everyone.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you ever thought that some people enjoy spending time in the studio and are in no rush to leave it?
And who is going to be the judge of the "wow factor"?
Some people don't buy this stuff to "wow" anyone else, but them selves.
Which takes us back to the original post, owning and working with a modular synth is not a staus quo thing, its the music that counts.
1) Good for them. But not all enjoy a turtle's pace. We're talkin' modular ? Oops, I meant *snail's* pace. heh

2) Artistic judgement is an individual thing. But there is often a consensus that the wow factor was less for the spectator/listener than for the performer/tweaker (who is possibly self-inducing a placebo effect). There indeed is a mass epidemic of folks being underwhelmed by the show of modular 'wizardry'. If the performer/tweaker doesn't care, then I guess that's good for them (and their self-indulgent tunnel vision).
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Good for them. But not all enjoy a turtle's pace. We're talkin' modular ? Oops, I meant *snail's* pace. heh

2) Artistic judgement is an individual thing. But there is often a consensus that the wow factor was less for the spectator/listener than for the performer/tweaker (who is possibly self-inducing a placebo effect). There indeed is a mass epidemic of folks being underwhelmed by the show of modular 'wizardry'. If the performer/tweaker doesn't care, then I guess that's good for them (and their self-indulgent tunnel vision).
Music is not a competition.
Its an art.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

I don't really understand your motivation behind the thread.
The fact that many people don't really enjoy bzww beep beep wildness doesn't mean they are against modular synthesizers per se.
What kind of music you make with them is down to the musician/producer, after all.

I can only assume you're casting a wrong projection on the whole of us other gearslutz... at least I am very interested in starting a modular, and that's not only because of a trend. I am just not interested in random atonal noise, but that doesn't mean I dislike modular.
If someone plays Vangelis stuff on a CS80, I'll listen. If someone plays dodecaphonic music with a CS80, I will run away.
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:

I am not mad, I did not even use foul language :D
Besides I am finishing my 12U rig after Mexico gig and when I am back I have the 5Ux12U wide Oakley modular on the way. How can I be mad?
true, I just don't see these posts form you often Seemed like you were after the non modular with a stake in fist! lol

Have a good night bud
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
I am just not interested in random atonal noise, but that doesn't mean I dislike modular.
Exactly.
But I've been reading up the last few threads regarding modulars and there are a lot of folk who don't get that.
Hence the thread.
Old 27th April 2015
What would be a way to go about a modular inside a daw? Please excuse my noobery.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Music is not a competition.
Its an art.
I agree.

But you are storming in here demanding unconditional respect, love and allegiance for modular duties/obsessions/manifestations.

It seems that the variety of art you seem to support should lead to a wide pool of opinions in response to it ? No ?

I just get the sense from you that you'll not permit anyone to dislike the exploding modular market.

Maybe an opinion of modulars can be seen as an (expressive) art as well...
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Guru
I love the idea of modulars.. and just don't want to go down that money pit.

Some of the new Roland and Waldorf stuff might change that.. and that sampler module... gahh.. I just need to look away.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
true, I just don't see these posts form you often Seemed like you were after the non modular with a stake in fist! lol

Have a good night bud
This is the thing, its like football teams playing and we have to choose sides and start having a go at each other.
It does not have to be this way.

Minikeys VS regular keys.
DCOs VS VCOs
Analog VS Digital
Hardware VS software...etc...etc.

The same patterns keep repeating over and over again.
Its like we are looking for the slightest thing to turn this into typical Gearslutz bashing of me VS you, kinda thing.

Gearslutz is notorious for this, even people on other forums comment on it and it actually turns people away from this site.
I did not just project my image of this place with this thread.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
What would be a way to go about a modular inside a daw? Please excuse my noobery.
A couple ways. U-he has a modular plug-in. There is also the arturia moog modular and arp 2600 plug-ins. AND, there is a new Ableton project called Oscillot which is a modular program.

I'm sure there are MANY more options but I am unfamiliar with them all.

I think all those are great starting points if you are interested in possibly getting into modular.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Besides I am finishing my 12U rig after Mexico gig
Where exactly is/was the gig?
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
This is the thing, its like football teams playing and we have to choose sides and start having a go at each other.
It does not have to be this way.

Minikeys VS regular keys.
DCOs VS VCOs
Analog VS Digital
Hardware VS software...etc...etc.

The same patterns keep repeating over and over again.
Its like we are looking for the slightest thing to turn this into typical Gearslutz bashing of me VS you, kinda thing.

Gearslutz is notorious for this, even people on other forums comment on it and it actually turns people away from this site.
I did not just project my image of this place with this thread.
Ahh, I see.

I like your threads even though I have no gear. I usually learn a thing or two.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, there are many times Gearslutz can feel like entering a room with monkeys throwing poo at each other. BUT, I've gotten a lot of great information from here and met a lot of cool people. So that keeps me coming back. At the end of the day, I just ignore the haters and don't get into arguments. Not worth my time.
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
A couple ways. U-he has a modular plug-in. There is also the arturia moog modular and arp 2600 plug-ins. AND, there is a new Ableton project called Oscillot which is a modular program.

I'm sure there are MANY more options but I am unfamiliar with them all.

I think all those are great starting points if you are interested in possibly getting into modular.
This is why right here Nect.

Thank you intuit! I will have a look at the uhe right now.
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
Yes, there are many times Gearslutz can feel like entering a room with monkeys throwing poo at each other. BUT, I've gotten a lot of great information from here and met a lot of cool people. So that keeps me coming back. At the end of the day, I just ignore the haters and don't get into arguments. Not worth my time.
deff, once you get that ignore down and get the few out who are the issue... it really is only a few. I think I have like 5 on my list total. That is not bad considering.

I try not to get into arguments, but sometimes they get me. lol
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree.

But you are storming in here demanding unconditional respect, love and allegiance for modular duties/obsessions/manifestations.

It seems that the variety of art you seem to support should lead to a wide pool of opinions in response to it ? No ?

I just get the sense from you that you'll not permit anyone to dislike the exploding modular market.

Maybe an opinion of modulars can be seen as an (expressive) art as well...
Respect is not demanded, it is earned.

I don't know how you think I demanded respect by this post.

You can dislike modulars for any old reason, just know that the typical "modular has to be atonal crap...or its not safe to connect...etc" arguments, are invalid.

Then (and only then ) you can dislike them all you want.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Where exactly is/was the gig?
Came back from Mundo de Oz in Brazil a week ago, Kupuri Festival 1st of May is next.
Then cash to blow on MOAR MODULES
Old 27th April 2015
I have never looked into modular and I don't want to derail your thread bro, but basically modular is connecting all the different sections of a synth? Example: You have the main adsr and wavetable or whatnot, then you connect say the osc or the filer to it? moreover, you can add other parameters such as flange?

Maybe I have this totally wrong?

I did a quick google and that was my jist of it with a quick skim.
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

I think the design of modern 'all-in-one' synths is pretty damn modular, anyway and allows for some wild noize. My G2 is the case in point. The newer Pro2 and Prophet 12 by DSI are cases in point. The Kurzweil VAST synths are a case in point. All tools to make the noise you want to make. Is a saw better than a hammer?
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

tl;dr

sorry
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

wait...there's an ignore button?
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Respect is not demanded, it is earned.

I don't know how you think I demanded respect by this post.

You can dislike modulars for any old reason, just know that the typical "modular has to be atonal crap...or its not safe to connect...etc" arguments, are invalid.

Then (and only then ) you can dislike them all you want.
Got it.

(lol)
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
wait...there's an ignore button?
hahahahahaha
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
tl;dr

sorry
what does that stand for? too late? don't read?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search