The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NEW! Roland System-500 Eurorack analog modular.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
No.
I remember my old 100M phaser being kick ass, but so far I haven't been able to find the sweet spot on this.
I'm hanging on to it for the moment.
The biggest disappointment for me has been the 540 envelope. Even on the longest setting the decay/release is not long enough. And the length of the slider is not long enough to allow for fine adjustment. I find myself getting approximately the kind of envelope I'm shooting for. Which is not good enough on a module this expensive.
Is this in relation to using the envelope to modulate filter cutoff or something similar? I do notice that even the longer setting is still a pretty fast decay. I imagine this would be pretty frustrating for swells or pads or similar patches.
Old 9th May 2018
No, like a VCA. Going for a short decay percussive sound with a long fading release. I couldn’t dial in anything particularly long, even in the longer setting.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Compared with the original, there seem to have been a few minor design misfires in the first round of System-500 modules. At least from the perspective of emulating the original.

If I'm not mistaken (I often am, and love being wrong! It's so exciting!), the 100M delay was at its best when used in stereo pairs; that's where the magic happened (happens). The 572 should have tried to supply same, if possible. I'd guess getting two 572s might head in the same direction, but at that point it's too expensive, especially with the need to sacrifice a filter somewhere in your modular to filtering out the clock noise. I know, hindsight is always 20/20.....

And the envelope times, yeah.

Oh well, they are what they are, and have their own qualities; it's the usual story of work with what's there, or move on. Respect the design intentions and leverage them, or find something else closer to what you were expecting.

The hot module of the next batch, I think, will be the SH-5-like filter, along with the mixer/preamp: the former for sweet sound, the latter for utility. I personally hope the lag/portamento/noise/S&H utility module will be something distinctive and classic in sound, too. We'll see!
Old 10th May 2018
I only had one 572 (delay/phaser) and I remember it being pretty rich sounding.
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I only had one 572 (delay/phaser) and I remember it being pretty rich sounding.
Has anyone ever tried two, in stereo, though? That's all I wonder about.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Compared with the original, there seem to have been a few minor design misfires in the first round of System-500 modules. At least from the perspective of emulating the original.
Maybe some things are a little different because it takes influence from both the 100m and 700.
Old 14th May 2018
I think it’s more that Eurorack is a lot smaller than 100m.
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
Maybe some things are a little different because it takes influence from both the 100m and 700.
True, though I'm mainly thinking of the shocked reaction to the clock noise on the 572 when it was first released; there was a lot of grumbling online about that, either from people who don't understand it, or from people who do and wished it wasn't there.

It was a noble effort in design to use an analogue BBD chip in the circuit, and I think Josh Halley had the right idea (or Josh and Roland together, however the design process went, I don't know) and chose the right chip; I just wish there'd been more clarity about it so those less in the know (and even more in the know) didn't react so negatively to it when it appeared.
Old 25th June 2018
I made a quick tutorial/overview of the 510 (the VCO/VCF/VCA combo one).

Old 27th June 2018
Gear Nut

Good Morning -

Most of the 500 module demos I've been hearing are pretty aggressive, so I tried to showcase a lighter side to their sound with this video.

It was also an experimentation of using the new 531's 2nd outputs as a feedback source going into the 530 VCA and into the Pico DSP.

Stay away if you are allergic to vibe...

Old 27th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakssound View Post
Good Morning -

Most of the 500 module demos I've been hearing are pretty aggressive, so I tried to showcase a lighter side to their sound with this video.

It was also an experimentation of using the new 531's 2nd outputs as a feedback source going into the 530 VCA and into the Pico DSP.

Beautiful!
Old 28th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good Morning -

Your YouTube demos are fantastic! It's what pushed me over the edge in getting a System 500. Sunil S.
Old 28th June 2018
Overview of the 555

Old 28th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Your YouTube demos are fantastic! It's what pushed me over the edge in getting a System 500. Sunil S.
Thanks a lot! Glad I was a bad influence on your wallet
Old 3rd July 2018
Tutorial/overview of the 505.

Old 5th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Hey peeps!

I plan to get into modular this year. Just a short musical background: I make Chicago House, classic 90's Deep House, Jazzy Boom-Bap HipHop and "Modular" Ambient (like Ann Annie etc.)
The Roland sound was always a big part of my musical journey, so I thought it would be logical to buy some of their modern modules

The question is now:
What is the difference between the 505 and 521?
I read that the 505 is based on the SH-05 filter, but what's about the 521? It is based on the SH-2 and/or SH-101 (based on the "21-Name)?

Does someone have both modules and could give a opinion about them?
Old 5th July 2018
The 521 is based on the 100m filter, which is also similar sounding to the SH101 filter. Classic clubby Roland. I plan to own both filters.
The only 500 series module I’m not wild about is the dual ADSR.
Old 9th July 2018
Overview of the 531 mixer

Old 10th July 2019
Anyone have demos of the 521 Dual Filter processing a stereo source? Seems like it would be excellent on external audio, not just synth stuff. The Roland filters always have that subtle phasey sound that really enhances textures.

Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Anyone have demos of the 521 Dual Filter processing a stereo source? Seems like it would be excellent on external audio, not just synth stuff. The Roland filters always have that subtle phasey sound that really enhances textures.

That's a good idea. I think I might try that later.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good Morning -

That was excellent.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search