The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NEW! Roland System-500 Eurorack analog modular.
Old 1st May 2018
I’m tempted to sell my dual filter and get the 510 synth voice. I haven’t needed to use both filters and I never used to use both filters in my 100M either.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone from Roland or Malekko know whether the ring mod is using the classic diode ring architecture? I'd love that.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

where does the preamp input on the mixer go?
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
where does the preamp input on the mixer go?
It is normaled to channels 5 and 6. Saw it in the video.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I'm confused by the 510 voice module. Does it not have envelopes? Or are the 1 and 2 faders an AD?
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I'm confused by the 510 voice module. Does it not have envelopes? Or are the 1 and 2 faders an AD?
It does not have an envelope. You can pair with the 540 module or your favorite EG.
Old 4th May 2018
Hard to see it as a single synth voice without an envelope.
I like all the other elements though.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Hard to see it as a single synth voice without an envelope.
I like all the other elements though.
That was my point exactly. I mean most voice modules have at least one EG and one LFO. I guess if this is a recreation of a vintage Roland module I can understand how they might eschew convention. But still not what I would consider a voice.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Fair points. I bet some people would have preferred to add a simple LFO and 1 EG and make it a full voice - maybe something akin to the intellijel atlantis , but more compact?

I bet they could have sold something like that for $500 and it would be popular.

In other news, I used the current eBay coupon for 15% off to buy myself another Roland Euro rack case - sweet deal for $295!!

Placed my orders for the 505 and 555 modules at sweetwater; my sales engineer says ~ june 1 is ship date.

I saw this pic and I was like

Old 4th May 2018
The thing is, there is an LFO on almost all the other 500 series modules.
If you have more than one or two of the modules, the last thing you probably need is another LFO.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The thing is, there is an LFO on almost all the other 500 series modules.
If you have more than one or two of the modules, the last thing you probably need is another LFO.
but what if you want to modulate the modulator which is a modulator?
Old 4th May 2018
The 510 ‘synth voice’ is pre-ordering in the UK at £429
Old 4th May 2018
The SH5 filter is £385.
They’ve gone up? I thought the original modules were £325 each?
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Ouch, if that's the case; i'm sorry to hear that. that's like $521 USD!!
Old 4th May 2018
They’ll no doubt be cheaper Stateside.
We have 20% sales tax (vat).
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear
I love the System 500. Got all the originals modules and have duplicates of the 512 and 540 still in unopened boxes. Was undecided if I needed them but now I know they’re expanding the range I might as well keep them!

I won’t buy the synth voice as I’ve definitely got enough of those VCO and VCF. Will probably pick up another 530 instead. I would recommend 510 + 540 as a good starting point for anyone new to the System 500. The 505 sounds awesome and the 555 is more compact than the Doepfer modules I currently use for those functions. The mixer looks nice but don’t see myself using it much if I got one.
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude View Post
but what if you want to modulate the modulator which is a modulator?
You can never have too many LFOs!
Old 7th May 2018
Lives for gear

Are these New Roland modules still Designed and Built by Malekko ?
Old 8th May 2018
Collab with Malekko. Now built in Japan.
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Collab with Malekko. Now built in Japan.
I'd be wondering if that's going to affect the price, but considering how much the Aira modules cost when they were still available, probably not.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'd be wondering if that's going to affect the price, but considering how much the Aira modules cost when they were still available, probably not.
They have been building them in Japan for a while now.
Old 8th May 2018
Quote:
I'd be wondering if that's going to affect the price
All the Roland modules, from the original 500 to the Aira, have been on the high side.
I bought my 500 modules when they were on closeout, stores moving on demo stock.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
prices have already been announced.. they're same $349-399
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Built in USA and assembled in Japan
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Not Roland then.
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Originally yes.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Do any complete system owners actually use their 572 a lot?

I’m considering selling since it’s almost always never a part of my patch, except for when I need another LFO. If I need a phaser or delay, I go ITB. Are there some really cool examples of the gate delay that make it a “cannot sell”?
Old 9th May 2018
No.
I remember my old 100M phaser being kick ass, but so far I haven't been able to find the sweet spot on this.
I'm hanging on to it for the moment.
The biggest disappointment for me has been the 540 envelope. Even on the longest setting the decay/release is not long enough. And the length of the slider is not long enough to allow for fine adjustment. I find myself getting approximately the kind of envelope I'm shooting for. Which is not good enough on a module this expensive.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No.
The biggest disappointment for me has been the 540 envelope. Even on the longest setting the decay/release is not long enough. And the length of the slider is not long enough to allow for fine adjustment. I find myself getting approximately the kind of envelope I'm shooting for. Which is not good enough on a module this expensive.
People seem to love the Frequency Central system x envelopes which are also based on the 100Ms. Could be an alternative but not sure how long they go. I've been trying to find one stateside with no luck.
Old 9th May 2018
Thanks.
I have quite a few envelopes, I was just assuming the 540 would be closer to the 100M, but it isn't IMO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search