The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NEW! Roland System-500 Eurorack analog modular.
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Has anyone found a way to run a midi interface that will voice steal with these yet?

Yarns can poly chain to a second midi interface but that only works if you want two separate polyphonic voices. There are lots of options to run both sides of these in unison or separate but I want single notes to hit both sides but the interface steal one of the voices with configurable voice priority.

I don't know if setting this up is a limitation of my understanding of my gear or if the rarity of true polyphony in eurorack has limited product availability.
Old 18th December 2016
Gear Nut
Just received mine...Wish I didnt have to work Monday
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy View Post
Just received mine...Wish I didnt have to work Monday
Hopefully you aren't getting much sleep.

I noticed that even American Music here in Seattle had them in stock. With Patchwerks getting some in to I assume that they must be shipping in quantity.

Looking at one in person it appears that there is plenty of room to add an attenuverter if you run into space problems on the cutoff knob.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't have really dampened knobs but the Triatt does make it a lot nicer if you want to use them in a live situation.

If you have mult cables you can even use the third attenuverter to set the CV level on both with a difference too.

But like the Moog Mother32 I think this is mostly a gateway drug into a bigger install. This system really starts to shine once you add in some additional utilities.

While I will absolutely keep my Mother32 around these modules are the first set that has make me plan on removing it from the main rack vs adding more space.

While copying the three inputs to everything design choice from the 100m may have lead to some spacing tradeoffs on these modules I really do like their flexibility and straight forward configuration.

They do fit in well with a 104HP rack, although I am spending more time with a screwdriver moving things around right now than using them.

I feel like they need to be at the top like here, by resting my fingers on the top of the case it is quite easy to get precision movements out of both the knobs and the sliders with my thumb. But obviously this is an individual preference.

post img
Old 30th December 2016
Question for anyone that has recently received the System-500 Complete Set. I am this close to pulling the trigger on purchasing it, and it would be my first modular system. I don't really question the sound or the features for the price, it's just a big jump.

My question is on the build quality. Earlier this year someone mentioned that they thought the build, especially in the sliders and knobs, was flimsy and wobbly. And it came up elsewhere again today in another forum.

Do any of you recent owners (or someone who's checked it out in the past few weeks) agree with this assessment? Any regret once you got your fingers on it, if not your ears?
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Question for anyone that has recently received the System-500 Complete Set. I am this close to pulling the trigger on purchasing it, and it would be my first modular system. I don't really question the sound or the features for the price, it's just a big jump.

My question is on the build quality. Earlier this year someone mentioned that they thought the build, especially in the sliders and knobs, was flimsy and wobbly. And it came up elsewhere again today in another forum.

Do any of you recent owners (or someone who's checked it out in the past few weeks) agree with this assessment? Any regret once you got your fingers on it, if not your ears?
TLDR; There is no slop in their direction of travel but it depends on what bothers you and what your definition of wobbly is. But from a function standpoint they are on the upper tiers of eurorack construction.

While I do not have the Roland Case I do have the full set. I looked over the construction and they were using good components as I would expect from malekko.

That said The wobbly fader issue is a reality in this format but it is not cheap it is just reality.

If you look at something modern like a Nord Electro 5D that has faders that don't feel wobbly you will notice that the fader is more that 1/4" or ~7mm below the metal.

Because of this depth the arc that it travels or wobbles is shorter before it hits the metal of the chassis.

If you are selling to the eurorack market which was intentionally produced as a compact format you need to keep your modules total depth below 35mm so that it will work in skiffs or you are going to miss a significant percentage of the market.

If you have any non-trivial circuit with faders you will probably need two boards too.

This means that unless you want to give up 1/3 of your entire space to air and faders for the boards components it will not be possible to avoid side to side wobble.

And there is no possibility of using slide pots that are designed to not wobble as they are actually deeper than skiff depth without the other components.

As an example

RS**K Series - Basic information

So if side deflection bothers you enough to impact the creative process you may just want to buy eurorack modules with knobs. But if you are worried about longevity and slop in the direction of travel they are good quality and as responsive as they can be with their limited throw.

If it was not for Roland's historical models I doubt that they would have used linear pots.

The upside is that you have the ability to do two notes of polyphony and lots of attenuators on almost every modulation or CV input which you would probably not have in a knob based system. The equivalent functions in other modules cost more and took up way more space in all of the configurations I could imagine but I am sure someone could prove me wrong.

I can directly relate to how difficult it is to decide what to get before you have experience running modular systems.

My goals were to add functions and minimize the footprint of my modular systems, and I would buy the set again without any reservations.

I apologize if this reply seems seems too long or broad but it is hard to find this information and I wanted to be as thorough and honest as possible.

Oddly enough the control that will frustrate many users is not a slider and unfortunately cannot be modulated and that is the filter resonance knob that is pretty close to the output.

That is what I was trying to reference in my above post and it is useable by hand as long as you keep these modules in a skiff or on the top row of a reasonably sized case.

But by the time you get to that scale hopefully you experienced enough that you are answering questions from me and others on this board.

But I say jump in, as eurorack is very hot right now and because malekko has such a good reputation and Roland is obviously a big name it shouldn't be too financially painful to trade out for other modules if you find that these don't fit your needs.
Old 30th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
I can directly relate to how difficult it is to decide what to get before you have experience running modular systems.

My goals were to add functions and minimize the footprint of my modular systems, and I would buy the set again without any reservations.

I apologize if this reply seems seems too long or broad but it is hard to find this information and I wanted to be as thorough and honest as possible.
I can't thank you enough for the depth and details of your reply. Your explanation of the wobble also makes perfect sense, and helps me set my expectations for this (and future modules) accordingly. My concern was with smooth travel. I've seen other complaints about the tightness of some of the controls (since they're trying to squeeze two of everything into most of the modules), but that's not of concern to me.

I've become a big fan of the old System 100 and 100M, and this looks like a great way to get somewhere near that without chasing the vintage. Plus, the benefits of the entire Eurorack market, should the bug bite me. I've been resisting for over 2 years now, but it's the specific combination of the 500 and that light interest in Eurorack -- and a good financing deal -- that are leading me to jump in now.

And I'm hoping that the 500 line will continue to expand. Until then, I've already grabbed Demora and Scooper earlier this week at a substantial discount. I've been looking at other alternatives for cases and power in case I decide to forego the SYR-E84 case. And I've done some configs at modulargrid to scope out my possible 2017, should I get this. I don't see myself going full Eurorack, but I gather that lots of people say that as they take their first step.

My only other struggle at the moment is whether to go 500, or start a little more slowly and cheaply with the System 1m (I have all the plug-outs, for my System 8). But I have a feeling that I'll start hitting walls with that pretty quickly, in which case I'll either have to buy completely into Eurorack to start filling the gaps, or end up buying the System 500 anyway. All signs seem to point toward that if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right.

Thanks again for the lengthy response (others are still welcome!). I'll post back later what I decide to do.
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Nut
Rsaintjohn: I just received the complete set and to me, the build quality seems top notch. I don't have the background to answer as thoroughly as enkindler, but this was also a BIG step for me. The System 8 Purchase had been my biggest purchase before I jumped into the System 500
Old 21st July 2017
Deleted User
Just found out about the 500. Finally, a turnkey solution for those who want to dabble in euro rack to
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Just found out about the 500. Finally, a turnkey solution for those who want to dabble in euro rack to
Forgot about this thread! I did end up getting the System 500 Complete in February, absolutely love it. Further, it did not suck me into Eurorack as I feared it might. I got a few utility modules in March, but I've been more than content with what came in the box. It's a pricey way, all at once, to "dabble" but it's a powerhouse. I'm still hoping there are more modules to come, and heard an indication in some Roland video seminar recently that there might be.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I guess this is the main System-500 thread: CDM spotted some new modules in the wild. There are pictures.

"505 Dual VCF
555 LAG / S&H
531 Mix
510 Synth"

Not the official release yet, CDM is guessing it'll be at Superbooth.

edit: some more pictures on Muff, scroll down.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I guess this is the main System-500 thread: CDM spotted some new modules in the wild. There are pictures.

"505 Dual VCF
555 LAG / S&H
531 Mix
510 Synth"

Not the official release yet, CDM is guessing it'll be at Superbooth.

edit: some more pictures on Muff, scroll down.
It looks like they are adding most of the Expander 102 and Mixer 103 functions, but I don't see a Sequencer 104 from the system 100 (not 100m)

I am kind of bummed about the lack of spring reverb on the Mixer and it is a pity there isn't room for VU meters like the 103 but it is nice to see that the initial setup wasn't completely a one off on the analog side.

As a Nitzer Ebb and Front 242 fan I will be buying at least the filters if they are even close to the system 100.
Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear

Scuse the speculation but given the general mapping to earlier model numbers (531 = 100m 131, 510 = 100m 110, 555 = 100m 150 + 165) and cos there was no 105 released, the numbering of the dual filter suggests it might be a take on the SH-5 VCF?

What would be interesting if the second one is a VC version of the bandpass - only simple way I found was using vactrols, and I can't imagine Roland/Malekko using that in production.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear
the 531 is an immediate buy if the audio signal path is studio quality
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Addict

Awesome news. Looks like the 505 could be the multi mode from the sh-5, but doesn't look like it has the legendary bpf. Too bad. I guess the debate for us complete set owners is do we buy a second Roland case so we can begin building a tower with the interlocking cases

Edit-- maybe just maybe that second filter is the bpf... i just noticed it has no multimode switch suggesting it might be something special... why would they add a second LPF hmm..
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
Awesome news. Looks like the 505 could be the multi mode from the sh-5, but doesn't look like it has the legendary bpf. Too bad. I guess the debate for us complete set owners is do we buy a second Roland case so we can begin building a tower with the interlocking cases

Edit-- maybe just maybe that second filter is the bpf... i just noticed it has no multimode switch suggesting it might be something special... why would they add a second LPF hmm..
Got my complete set for a good price, so I am very wary of paying ~$399 for a new case, as much as I like it. But, I have already spent the money in my head for some of the new modules.

All of them look great, but I'm dying for the 555 module. I was already shopping for a noise source and ring mod, so the portamento and S&H is just icing on the cake. I imagine this module will be $349 or so?

The 510 complete voice looks nice, even though it looks to be 20HP or so? Is it just me, or is it wider than the rest? My 2HP MIDI module *is* duophonic, so I could potentially add another voice. Are there any similarly equipped modules like this on the market at the moment? I imagine this will run closer to $450-$500 since it includes a VCO, VCF and VCA, right?
Old 15th April 2018
There are lots of single voice modules.
Also, there are most likely better, more featured noise modules.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, the 555 is S&H + dual lag module, noise isn't its focus.

Looking at modulargrid, one standout feature (compared to other similar S&H packages) is the relatively fleshed out LFO at the bottom. Other S&H modules tend to leave that out or minimize it.

Overall it brings the noisy, wobbly, and weird sci fi that was missing in the System-500.
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
There are lots of single voice modules.
Also, there are most likely better, more featured noise modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Yeah, the 555 is S&H + dual lag module, noise isn't its focus.

Looking at modulargrid, one standout feature (compared to other similar S&H packages) is the relatively fleshed out LFO at the bottom. Other S&H modules tend to leave that out or minimize it.

Overall it brings the noisy, wobbly, and weird sci fi that was missing in the System-500.
What exactly should I be looking for in a noise module? I just wanted something simple so I could start making percussive stuff such as snares, etc.
Old 15th April 2018
Ideally at least two flavours of noise - white and pink.
There are very basic, cheap noise modules that offer at least four types of noise.
Also, something with digital noise can be very interesting.
SSF Quantum Rainbow II is a very good noise module, also Hexinverter VCNO has some digital element.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJPdude View Post
What exactly should I be looking for in a noise module? I just wanted something simple so I could start making percussive stuff such as snares, etc.
It's really up to you. You can go as in depth as you want or keep things simple with Euro. The question is how do you want to spend your resources.

You could spend X on the 555, get some basic noise and ringmod, but also a bunch of things you weren't really looking for (S&H, LFO, and portamento/slew, etc). You'll be paying for all those, and they'll be taking valuable space, so make sure you want them.

You could alternatively use some of that X to just buy dedicated basic noise and ringmod modules, and then likely have some money left to buy other things you care about.

You could also spend all of that X on just a crazy powerful noise module, and then spend an additional Y on a crazy ringmod module. Up to you.

As for figuring out what you "should" look for: look at what you've been using in the past. If that was good enough, look for the same thing again. If it wasn't good enough, look for something that improves on the aspects that weren't good enough.
Old 28th April 2018
Quote:
I'm using the Doepfer A-118 mostly. If anything harsher is needed I use a A-117 (digital noise) or send the analogue noise through a bitcrusher (WMD Geiger Counter). Of course you can filter noise, to get another "color".
That SSF Quantum Rainbow II module looks the business. (checked the manual) Not too large either.

Their Ultra-Random Analog module is interesting as well. Normally, you'd need a few dedicated modules to achieve that functionality. Ultra-Random Analog — STEADY STATE FATE

I've played around with the Frap Tools Sapèl at a modular meeting. It's on the more complete side of available modules, and got some interesting tricks. It has some functions the Buchla Source of Uncertainty had. IMO it's a bit too expensive for what I'd do with it.
SAPEL – Tamed Random Source – Frap Tools
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm sure for Roland this next suite of modules is meant as a complement/continuation of their first set. Buy another case, these modules, attach the two together and you have basically a 6U System 500. Not bad, if that's what you want.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

that mixer looks pretty sweet with all that VC pan.
Old 1st May 2018
They've just published a whole series of overview videos, one for each new module:
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds great. I don't know too much about other modules, but it seems to me that if you want an authentic Roland sound and don't want to buy vintage, this is the package to get. Some of the 303 clones can share that pedestal but the 303 is a very simple/limited synth in comparison.
Old 1st May 2018
They definitely have a Roland sound, similar to the 100M and SH101.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

The new 500 modules are up on modular grid.

Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the qu-bit chance would go nicely with the 500 modules. In black of course.

It has digital and analog noise but also a very cool S&H section on the top that features random wavetable based modulation which isn't that common as well as your standard smooth and stepped random.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Oh I miss my old SH-5’s filters so much that this is an instant buy from me! Happy days!!
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac

As I said over on MW, I am just waiting for pricing now. I am going to get a new case, and I'll have just enough for what I think will be 2 modules. 555 is for certain. but I am wondering if I even need a 531 if I'm already only using just my S500 with no other modular gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search