The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's doing mobile live digital multi-track (at least 16) recording?
Old 22nd January 2015
Who's doing mobile live digital multi-track (at least 16) recording?

Who's doing mobile live digital multi-track (at least 16) recording and what are you using?

I've been doing it for 6 years now using a Mac (10.5.7) tower, 2 Motu 896HD, running Cubase 5. The sounds I've been getting with this set-up is good (the Motu's are BLA modified) and it's stable.

I wanted to add a second system, hopefully smaller, in case something in my current set up fried at a gig.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

I was doing this on i7 MBP and RME UCX+M-Audio Profire 2626 via ADAT in Reaper. Controlling Reaper faders/EQs via custom Lemur template on iPad.

It's as stable as a dedicated recorder, sound quality is pretty fine.

Actually, i've done some live shows with this kind of setup as a digital mixer, using some VSTs, and it was better in terms of sound quality than any digital mixer up to 25k$ worth, even the rent guys who brought the Venue to this gig was amazed.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

We have several very expensive systems, however, my favourite system is a macbook running reaper and anything by RME.
(our macbook system has an RME madiface XT for 198 channels of input)
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

I too love RME interfaces. They perform admirably and are as stable as anything. Currently using a Fireface UFX paired with an Octamic XTC for preamps and digital routing. The 4u rack also houses a Lavry Blue 8 channel A/D for additional line inputs, and a Behringer Reverb that's connected via AES.

All in all 28 analog inputs of which 12 have preamps. The UFX doubles as a backup recorder. With a USB 2.0 memory card reader you can use SDHC cards to record. Or just a regular 2.5" USB 2.0 hard drive (It doesn't work USB 3.0 devices).

I've also been using it as a live mixer for three years.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

I used three Metric Halo ULN-8s for 24 tracks before moving to a Merging Horus that gives me 24 mic pres in 2U. Record on one or several computers over network (Ravenna).
Old 25th January 2015
I use two Metric Halo ULN-8s and an RME Octamic. Sounds very nice indeed. I've added another ULN-8 for 32 tracks on occasion.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

JoeCo+pres and/or console.
Old 29th January 2015
Gear Maniac
Big fan of RME also. I've been using Multifaces and Digifaces for 10(?) years or so and never a hiccup. They're 1/2 rack space units.

I'm looking for a smaller rig also for 8 ch gigs and may go with two Multifaces and 2 laptops with outboard a/d of some better kind. I can get 16 channels in them easily enough. I already have everything else but the two MF units. It'd be an easy swap between rigs.

The digiface is discontinued and I never see them used, but it's a 24ch ADAT/optical interface.

Scott
Old 29th January 2015
Gear Head

I've been using a 2013 MacBook Pro with Focusrite Saphire Pro 26 , 2 Presonus Digimax LT 8 Ch Preamps + 2 Trident S20 2 channel preamps ( total of 4 channels) with Pro Tools 10. & it works & sounds great
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Using a 2003 Toshiba laptop, 2.4 GHz, running Reaper after my old Nuendo 2 USB dongle died of old age and support for that old version seems non-existent.
MOTU firewire interfaces, spitting out their input signals on ADAT to a Mackie MDR backup recorder. Up to 24 channels on the backup, and 26 on main system.

Smaller scale recording, without the need to apply FX directly, is done on a 788T with CL-8 for basic level mixing.
Old 29th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I use an Orion 32 with Line Audio Pres. I get 32 I/O up to 96k (192 in a windows) going into my mac mini. All racked up it takes only 6u! Very portable. Only thing smaller would be the antelope pre 32 with orion.

Love the line audio Pres. I used to have 16 channels of DAV but felt the line audio was an equal performer for 1/3 the cost but I DO miss the stepped gain pots.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

I also use a full RME setup with one UFX, one Octamic II and two XTC.
4U and 28 tracks - in a 6U flightase (it's easyer to plug)... Really happy!
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
I too love RME interfaces. They perform admirably and are as stable as anything. Currently using a Fireface UFX paired with an Octamic XTC for preamps and digital routing. The 4u rack also houses a Lavry Blue 8 channel A/D for additional line inputs, and a Behringer Reverb that's connected via AES.

All in all 28 analog inputs of which 12 have preamps. The UFX doubles as a backup recorder. With a USB 2.0 memory card reader you can use SDHC cards to record. Or just a regular 2.5" USB 2.0 hard drive (It doesn't work USB 3.0 devices).

I've also been using it as a live mixer for three years.
How do you connect the XTC to the UFX? Using adat or to the analog in?

Evisto
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Addict

I use RME fireface ufx & 2 x focusrite 8 channel preamps...
Gives me 20 channels of preamp and 8 line ins..
Records into laptop (reaper or cubase 8... depends on project) and it backs up the recording to sandisk extreme USB pen (Durec) on the fireface.
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evisto View Post
How do you connect the XTC to the UFX? Using adat or to the analog in?

Evisto
The XTC uses only digital outputs (except for the headphone outputs). I use ADAT to interface with the UFX.
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
The XTC uses only digital outputs (except for the headphone outputs). I use ADAT to interface with the UFX.
Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015
Here for the gear

Also using the joeco blackbox recorder, always with the pre's on the mixing desk.
Old 4th February 2015
LX3
Lives for gear

I've been using a couple of DAD AX32s since late last year (with 64 analog inputs), and I have to say that I don't remember my recordings ever sounding this great. I haven't been able to do a proper A-B test between them and my previous "discrete preamps and Apogee converters" system... yet... but my gut feeling is that all the jobs I've done with the AX32s sound bigger and better-defined than anything I've done with any of my previous rigs.

(That's just as well considering how much the DADs were!)

We'll see. Could be placebo effect I guess. But right now I'm very happy with the DADs.

Like you, I have been working on repurposing some of my old rig into a smaller system... but I'm now thinking that the "small system" will, funds permitting, end up being another AX32 in a smaller rack. I've only just realised that there's a way to make that do everything I was intending to do with an RME UFX and ordinary preamps. It would mean I'd be using a mouse to adjust gains, which isn't as hands-on as proper knobs and buttons, but the advantages of having another AX32 would outweigh any disadvantages.

Last edited by LX3; 5th February 2015 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: Wasn't entirely clear what I meant...
Old 4th February 2015
I'm using RME UFX through firewire into old C2D macbook pro 13". On analog inputs I use Phoenix Audio DRS-8, the four front mic inputs are used for ambiences, when I need more tracks I also take Audient ASP008 and connect it with ADAT, and for 28 tracks I get Behringer ADA8200 also with ADAT. Everything but laptop is connected to the UPS, so I have power backup for almost an hour, and I always use front USB for backup (never needed it but the peace of mind it give me is worth a LOT).
Old 4th February 2015
I'm in LA this month recording an Opera to 80 tracks of 192k using 3 Horus units and a pair of old Q67/i7 2600 based Computers. I'm also recording the the material on a Lenovo Laptop and recording to a bus-powered USB3 hard drive.
The entire recording chain with cable comes in at about 150 pounds. Now if we could only find a way to get rid of stands, sub-snakes, mic cables, splitters and speakers we would be able to do it in less than the 2000 pounds that this kit weighs in at!

All the best,
Mark
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

2 x ULN 8s and MacBook Pro here: Record Panel for tracking, Nuendo for mixing.

John
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
I'm in LA this month recording an Opera to 80 tracks of 192k using 3 Horus units and a pair of old Q67/i7 2600 based Computers. I'm also recording the the material on a Lenovo Laptop and recording to a bus-powered USB3 hard drive.
The entire recording chain with cable comes in at about 150 pounds. Now if we could only find a way to get rid of stands, sub-snakes, mic cables, splitters and speakers we would be able to do it in less than the 2000 pounds that this kit weighs in at!

All the best,
Mark
Hey, I'm recording an opera this week also. Making due with only 28 channels at 48k though. I'd be interested in knowing what your set up is for 80 channels?
Old 7th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hey, I'm recording an opera this week also. Making due with only 28 channels at 48k though. I'd be interested in knowing what your set up is for 80 channels?
80 channels is easy to fill up with an Opera as big as what I'm recording this week.
Start with 28 mics in the pit, 24 wireless, foot mics, shotguns, mics planted into the sets, offstage chorus and SFX, and finally Main hanging room mics it is no problem to fill 80 channels.
The real trick is doing the live mix with that many inputs single handed.
All the best,
Mark
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
80 channels is easy to fill up with an Opera as big as what I'm recording this week.
Start with 28 mics in the pit, 24 wireless, foot mics, shotguns, mics planted into the sets, offstage chorus and SFX, and finally Main hanging room mics it is no problem to fill 80 channels.
All the best,
Mark
Ok, So you're using wireless mics for your opera singers? Is that just for the recording or does it get reinforced for the live audience as well?

And are you close micing the whole orchestra? Or at least every stand of two musicians as in the case for the strings?
Old 7th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Ok, So you're using wireless mics for your opera singers? Is that just for the recording or does it get reinforced for the live audience as well?
No, there is no reinforcement in the house.
Since this is an audio only production, we need to be able to have the singers on mic all the time. It is distracting when the singers turn away from the fixed position microphones.

Quote:
And are you close micing the whole orchestra? Or at least every stand of two musicians as in the case for the strings?
No, there are about 80 players in the pit. There are mostly section mics with a couple of specific spots based on the score.
All the best,
-mark
Old 8th February 2015
Quote:
All the best,
Mark
That's mind-blowing and super impressive. That many inputs, I'd hardly know where to start in post, let alone doing a live mix! Super excited to work towards that kind of production though.

Is that the kind of setup where everything has a specific purpose from scene-to-scene, planned throughout production, or are many stage inputs captured just for safety?
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Is that the kind of setup where everything has a specific purpose from scene-to-scene, planned throughout production, or are many stage inputs captured just for safety?
Speaking strictly for the productions that I work on; and up until recently I have been mainly a live sound engineer working mainly in theatre; every channel has a purpose. Safety is also a valid purpose. Most of the time, the lead players will be double miced, in case the primary mic gets a short or there are RF issues that necessitate moving to the back up mic. And, frankly, I'm too lazy to put out a bunch of mics that I don't actually intend to do something with.

Live theatre uses massive amounts of wireless mics. We recently had a touring Broadway musical come through and they had 70 channels of wireless mics, wireless instruments, in-ear-monitors and wireless coms. And that's about the norm for modern musical theatre.

I did a youth opera at the beginning of January where I had 28 channels total, including 13 wireless mics, a small pit orchestra which had only 10 and 5 foot mics. Still trying to edit and automate all the channel mutes before I really start digging into the actual post production mixing. This week and next I'm also doing another professional opera and I again have 28 channels. But, none of the opera singers are on wireless mics. It's all orchestra, house mics, foots mics, and a few backstage inputs.
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Head

A lot of my income comes from recording bands sets at various venues using my split snake with one feed going to the venues sound guy, the other going to my recorder, which is a Behringer UFX 1604. I record the entire performance onto a flash drive plugged directly into the interface, then import into Logic.

This sample is an example of the end result. All mics are venues and I only used stock Logic X plugins to mix, then used Ozone 5 to master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AAdf5C8ok
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
All the best,
Mark
How many people, and how long does it take, to set up the 80 mics?
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

I use a JoeCo as well. Lynx AD, Millenia and True preamps straight into the recorder. Back out of the recorder into a Yamaha DM1000 for monitoring and the live 2-mix.

Fits in the back of my Volvo wagon.

My live mix was about 16 channels for the pit orchestra for a live radio broadcast. Only one rehearsal before we went to air. I can't imagine live mixing 80 inputs. I hope you had lots of practice time.

D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search