The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mobile Studio/On Location Recording/Mixing
Old 12th January 2015
Here for the gear

Mobile Studio/On Location Recording/Mixing

Does anyone know of it is acoustically possible to build out an enclosed 30ft car hauler into a mobile recording and mixing studio, an alternative to a brick & mortar location? I guess it would be similar in context to how a mobile broadcast studio is built out. I know that vocal booth had made them for a short time, but really I don't have the money available to open a location, I think I could generate more income being able to travel wherever. Thanks guys for any input!

Quote:
2013 Steel RSX Car Hauler | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Outfitted for Broadcasting MOTRSX8530TTA4 194912
Quote:
VB Mobile Recording Studio

Record on the go with our VB Mobile Recording Studio. Portable sound isolation on wheels fit to your custom needs. Sound Isolation without boundaries!
Garrett Watson
Audio Engineer
[email protected]
fb.com/eliteentmn
Old 12th January 2015
Lives for gear

Garrett,

Definitely doable.

Be aware that fitting it out properly with isolation and proper treatment will be a bit more expensive than doing the same thing in a building space. I wouldn't recommend copying the VB Mobile stuff.

Cheers,
John
Old 17th January 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks John, that is helpful to know. I would assume the VB is doing it as cheaply as possible. I was considering building it in a similar fashion as one would in a brick and mortar. I know that it is not possible to build a room within a room, but still leaving so many inches of dead space between the exterior an interior walls. What are your thoughts on cork board?
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Garrett,

Actually, we DO create a room-in-a-room for booths in a mobile rig.

BUT we don't do it in the conventional manner. You have to have the highest STL possible and ALSO save the most amount of space at the same time. Not an easy feat.

If you are going to do this yourself, you'll need to research the latest isolation technology.. and NOT from those that are selling it, but from manufacturer's testing and independent testing.

But this IS something that you could do with the proper planning. I understand where you're coming from. Budgets are always tight and risk is something that everyone needs to avoid or at least minimize. But nothing gets done without risk. - a build like this could cost as much as $200 per square foot, unless you DIY. DIY could cut costs in half, maybe as much as 2/3, but I wouldn't count on more than that.

This is also something that you can take your time on. Get it functional first, using the full plans of course, and then build as you go. It improves incrementally.

The isolation of the main shell would come first, then installation of the mix room and treatment. The booth can come later. Remember that you'll need to incorporate all the HVAC and electrical AS you build the outer shell.

Cheers,
John
📝 Reply