The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Truck or Van
Old 19th December 2014
Here for the gear

Truck or Van

Hi guys,

Long time reader first time poster. I've been greedily devouring the threads on building remote recording vehicles - thanks especially to Hamburg for his beautiful work.

Have any of you chaps had experience with fitting out a large commercial van such as the Fiat Ducato?

If so what are the main points to consider when compared to a light truck fitted with a Pantech?

Thanks for your time!
Mat
Old 19th December 2014
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

As some of you may already know, I have designed and built six mobile units for Aura-Sonic.
The first one was designed and built when I was just 18 years old.

That Fiat Ducato looks just like a Mercedes Sprinter or a Ford Transit.

Deciding on whether to build a control room in a van or a box truck depends on your clients and how you want to present yourself. There are pluses and minuses in both ventures. You have to decide which vehicle works best for your workflow and dynamic.

I've always been a box truck kind of guy, but I do have a Stepvan called, The Bread Mobile.

Even though I haven't finished building Cosmo, I just purchased tallest, longest version of a (brand new 2015) Ford Transit that we plan to build-out in a very unique way. Cannot talk about it right now, but I will start a thread about our latest build-out very soon.

Here are some links to my Facebook (truck) albums for your review...

Gigs & Rigs with The Bunker - R.I.P.
The Bunker, our first truck was in operation from 1977 until it was decommissioned in 1984.

Gigs & Rigs with Jethro - R.I.P.
Jethro, our third truck was in operation from 1987 until it was decommissioned in 2009.

Gigs & Rigs with Elroy
Elroy, forth truck was acquired in 1999, the build-out started in 2000.

Gigs & Rigs with TBM
The Bread Mobile, our fifth truck launched in 2003 and is still on the road.

Threads tagged with "Build For Remote" is a collection of helpful remote truck build-outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukes View Post
Hi guys,

Long time reader first time poster. I've been greedily devouring the threads on building remote recording vehicles - thanks especially to Hamburg for his beautiful work.

Have any of you chaps had experience with fitting out a large commercial van such as the Fiat Ducato?

If so what are the main points to consider when compared to a light truck fitted with a Pantech?

Thanks for your time!
Mat
Old 23rd January 2015
Here for the gear

Much appreciated mate
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Nut

Hi Flukes! Thank you for your kind words. Sorry for my late answer but I found your post by chance. Now it is in the middle of the night in Germany- I have to work tomorrow. So please allow me to answer to your post in the next few days in details. Now it is very late and I am a bit tired.... Best from Hamburg- Rolf
Old 2nd February 2015
Gear Nut

Hi Flukes. I like box trucks better than stepvans. If the wheelbase is to old or damaged you can take the complete box and mount it on a newer wheelbase with less miles. In a cubic box it is much easier to install proper acoustic treatments on the walls and the ceilings. For the jobs I do I need to have 5.1 monitoring. For a proper base you need a box at least 2,40m wide. You can`t get this in a stepvan. (If my truck is not on the road we are using it as a mixroom for TV documentaries in stereo and 5.1- so the truck makes money even if it´s in the garage...)

BUT: I worked on several stepvan mobile units and they are smaller and better to handle in tight environments like big cities. And they are allowed to go faster. In Germany the max speed for trucks above 3.5 tons is 80 km per hour. Below 3.5 tons these trucks have no limitation except the general regulations. That means: if an interstate is free to go 140 km you are free to go 140 with your truck.

In Germany we have several small companies using big trucks as well as stapvans. Look at these sites:

Startseite
audiosprint | Ton- und
THEIN Productions - Mobile and Live Recording

I don`t know much about the buiness in the USA. I`ve been there several times in the 90s- but most of the time in New York. I wish I already had known Steve in these years. One of my dreams is to visit him and his fantastic trucks. I think the world of audio changed very fast within the last few years- from 24 tracks OTARI MTR 90 to 64 track one RU JoCo Blackbox. Big trucks will be used more and more only for live- broadcast. For recording without live- broadcast you can find a lot of solutions working "in the box" without a truck. I love working in a truck in front of the venue with loudspeakers and not with headphones- propably stepvans are the future for live- recordings in tight cities with small budgets. The number of recorded channels is nearly unlimited these days....
Old 16th February 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response and links Hamburg.

All the best
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search