The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How Would You Build Out This Rack
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear
How Would You Build Out This Rack

I have this red rack case that I inherited from late uncle several years ago. It has gone largely unused. I am thinking about turning it into a mobile recording unit.

How would you fill this rack out to make it functional?

We can go with different levels - budget, mid-level, and high-end.

I can’t post picks but hopefully the link will work.

Red Rack Photo by boredchairman | Photobucket

The old mixer and power amp can go. I’d like to keep the Mesa Boogie guitar preamp in there as I don’t have anywhere else to put it at the moment.

What I’d like to do is to be able to build it out well enough to rent the unit to sound engineers so they can record, so I can offset the costs a bit. I’d also like to be able to wheel this to a friend’s house or some place in my own house and just record.

Let me know what other kind of info you need. I am new around this forum.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

What kind of music should the rack be used for? Apparently, "classical", "jazz", or "pop/rock" engineers prefer different setups.
You might need a rack full of boutique tube preamps, compressors, EQs, and a monitor mixer, or on the other end of the spectrum you might need 48 channels of clean "wire with gain" pres and AD.
I guess if you want to rent it to others, it needs some sort of patch panel so they can easily interface with their own "darling" gear too.
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear
It would mainly be used for “pop/rock” bands and maybe the occasional “jazz” band. Most of the bands around here play southern rock and modern rock. The jazz bands tend to be a bit funky and are usually trios or quartets.

For my own recording needs, my style leans towards modern rock and sometimes singer/songwriter stuff depending on if I have a band or not.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

Look at Steve Remote's flypacks, on Aura Sonic
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

That is a fairly big rack. Make certain that you have a method of loading, transporting and unloading the rack full of gear before you commit.

I find that lots of smaller racks work better, especially if you work by yourself. I use racks no more than 4U and I stack up the gear I need for a particular job, carried two at a time.

Yes, racks are expensive and a free rack seems like a deal too good to pass up, but. . . .

D.
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear
It’s true that this is a big rack. I guess I’m just not sure what kind of gear should go in it (even if in the end it does get split up). I’m hoping for something that is a bit flexible, even if for just small setups or something that can patch into a larger setup.

I’ll admit that I don’t know much about gear but that is why I am here —to consult with the experts.
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear
So say, I were to split this up into a smaller rack case(s). What would you put into it?

Ideally, I’d like to be able to either patch into an existing board and/or use it as sole recording unit. Let’s assume that I have a Macbook Pro with Protools or Logic Pro X. I can also get access to some pretty good mics.

Even if I use this existing rack to begin with then I can always split it up later should I need to take up that much space.
📝 Reply