The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a remote recording studio in a bus. Need help with soundproofing
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Building a remote recording studio in a bus. Need help with soundproofing

Hi
I am currently in the process of building a remote recording studio in a 4 wheel drive medium sized bus. The bus will travel remote Australia ie. desert regions, and be involved in documenting indigenous culture, and also be recording local indigenous music.
At the moment the bus is simply a bus with seats which will get pulled out soon to make way for the studio build. I am wanting to build a separate room in the back two thirds of the bus as my main studio area. I am essentially thinking of building a room within a room ie. room within the bus intereror.
Im thinking along the lines of building stud walls like in a house and then attaching internal walls to this. After some research Im considering using Green Glue plus drywall for sidewall and roof sound proofing. Because the bus will be in extreme conditioned ie. dirt roads, I dont really want to use Gyprock as I think it would crumble under these conditions.
My question is would it be worthwhile using Green Glue between two boards of plywood instead. Would this work for sound proofing?
It there another drywall solution that is tougher thank gyprock for this kind of situation.
Ive also looked at accoustiblok as well but its quite expensive and very heavy so may be difficult in my situation.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Building a remote recording studio in a bus. Need help with soundproofing-img_2458.jpg  
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Newell's book Recording Studio Design has a chapter dedicated to this very thing. Can't do better for $72.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Maniac

If the plywood is as heavy as the drywall its substituting for then it'll be as good. A lot thicker and more expensive though...even more so when you add greenglue.

How about a thin ply/gyproc/thin ply sandwich?
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

How much isolation needed?

Dutch acoustician Ben Kok designed a mobile for classical recording which is described in this AES # 5600 paper from may 2002

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&...78677474,d.d2s

If I were you I would have contacted people that have built mobile vans before discussing the pros and cons with heavy walls and climate etc.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Guru
Quiet

Why would you need soundproofing out in the bush?
John Sayers designed the very cute looking Sparc studios in Australia. They are two shipping containers.
+1 Newell's book is great. As is the Master Handbook of Acoustics.

DD
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear
Mass is cheap if you don't have to haul it around in a vehicle. Perhaps in the field of isolation, torsion box is a solution in search of a problem. But if too much mass is a problem, wonder if stiffness could substiture for mass?

Torsion box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want a stiff machine surface built as light as possible, torsion box construction can be a friend. Wonder if "fairly light" panels could be made stiff enough, whether they might substitute for massive panels? Light damped panels too stiff to vibrate very much?
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks audiothings, I will check out the book you recommended.
Bremen ply/gyp/ply could work well but Im just afraid the gyprock with disintegrate on the 4wd desert dirt roads out here.
Cheers akebrake Im checking out your link now. Im going to download the paper and check it out.
Dan Dan, I know what yo mean, but I will recording in aboriginal communities sometimes which can get very noisy indeed. Believe me.
Jcjr.Thanks for your link as well. Torsion boxes look like a viable option.

Im still in need of advice tho in my wall material. Green Glue and ply? Could this be an option. Or could gypsum handle the open road.
I will be travelling in exteme conditions ie. major 4wd roads, extreme heat etc. Could I possibly use a different material ie. refrigerated wall panels (the ones filled with polystyrene).
Just an idea
Heres a few picture of inside. Im possible going to remove the aircon side panels when building.

M

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search