The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
She's arrived!
Old 1st November 2006
Gear Maniac

Talking She's arrived!

I don't know If I should have posted this in the good news forum but...

We finally have our remote trailer home safe and sound! Now the real work begins...

She's arrived!-semi.jpg

Many Thanks to all the fellow Slutz who have helped thus far.
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Addict

Damn!!!!!!! That's wicked.

Congrats and all the best!
Old 2nd November 2006
Super Moderator

Sweet deal dude!

Let us see more pictures!
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Sweet deal dude!

Let us see more pictures!
Will do after I do a little cleaning, she's been in storage for a while and is need of some TLC and a re-model. heh
Old 2nd November 2006
Super Moderator

I understand completely...

But, before and after shot have value.

Good luck and all the best!
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I understand completely...

But, before and after shot have value.
Agreed. I'll post pics as we go...
Old 7th March 2007
Super Moderator

Keep those pictures coming...

Make me proud to be a Remotester on the Remote Possibilities forum at Gearslutz.com!
Old 28th June 2007
Gear Maniac

discovering the past...

Yesterday and today we've been removing the top layer of enamel in prep for body work and new paint... Heres what 2 cans of oven cleaner and a pressure washer revealed...

She's arrived!-06-27-07_1606.jpg

After the first layer of Easy Off... This was previously not visible. I guess CBS painted over this before they decommissioned the truck.

She's arrived!-06-28-07_1203.jpg

After the 2nd application... Looks good as new, to bad I have to remove it.

She's arrived!-06-28-07_1204.jpg

She's arrived!-06-28-07_1211.jpg

We also hooked up all the platforms and stairs... if you look closley you can see another huge CBS logo waiting to be revealed.
Old 28th June 2007
Lives for gear

ohh man definetely wanna see pics of this when its finished post them pics as you go.
Old 28th June 2007
Super Moderator

Awesome bro -- I'm so proud of you!

If there's anything I can do to help facilitate your project let me know.
As you may already know, I have a lot of extra new and used "extras" laying around.

How's the worm gear situation coming along?
Did you find a source or will you need to fabricate one from scratch?

Keep up the good work my man!
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Holy crap! This thing is heavy!

Quote:
Awesome bro -- I'm so proud of you!

If there's anything I can do to help facilitate your project let me know.
As you may already know, I have a lot of extra new and used "extras" laying around.

Keep up the good work my man!
Thanks Steve, thats very gracious of you... I'll be contacting you soon to tap your brain about some stuff. I may be in your area of the country in a few weeks...

I got a price on the replacement worm gear today, $600! Ouch! I'm seeing about having just the ring and sleeve ordered/machined tomorrow.

I was looking at Elroys completed AC power panel and got inspired to tear into my own power situation... Heres the pics:

She's arrived!-06-28-07_2015.jpg
Three Stabiline AC Voltage Regulators... Probably in need of some TLC. I'll try to fire them up tomorrow and see.

She's arrived!-06-28-07_2020.jpg

Behind Regulator #2. For those of you who were unaware... I found this trailer in the desert near Palmdale CA. This is what desert rats will do to very expensive equipment when left unattended. Stay tuned for video of Brady and I removing the ceiling/ac air ducts...

She's arrived!-06-28-07_2024.jpg

Holy crap this thing is heavy!!! It's is at least 100 pounds.

She's arrived!-06-28-07_2023.jpg

Top view...

She's arrived!-06-28-07_2022.jpg

Rear view...
Old 29th June 2007
Super Moderator

That Stabiline voltage regulator looks pretty clean considering where it's been for a bunch of years.
Are the other two in as good condition as the one pictured in your post?
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That Stabiline voltage regulator looks pretty clean considering where it's been for a bunch of years.
Are the other two in as good condition as the one pictured in your post?
Actually, I'm amazed at how well the stabilizers have weathered... All 3 look to be in good shape! The worst of it seems to be the corner of the face plate on Stabilizer #3...

She's arrived!-06-29-07_1030.jpg

3 beautiful Stabilizers!

She's arrived!-06-29-07_1010.jpg

The corner of stabilizer #3. The racks kept all 3 protected pretty well. This is the only visible corrosion on the 3 units, and looks to be cosmetic only.

She's arrived!-westruck1small.jpg

Me in front of the truck... My bro says it looks like the intro to my new sitcom on CBS
Old 29th June 2007
That's not a remote truck! That's a small VILLAGE on wheels!
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

holey crap!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">thats friggin rad.cant make any promises , but my brothers father
in law owns Weekend Warrior trailers. let me know If you need some help
with parts.who makes the chassis ? most trailer companies buy their
chassis and add on to it. weekend warriors I think still use Zieman.
the worst he can say is no
being a good business man, he likes to put his name out
good luck ,

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...rrior-ext3.jpg<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">new line of motor homes.
Weekend Warrior Toyhauler Trailers

can it be plastic boxes?
http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/08i...rrior-bath.jpg
great Idea?
still waiting on the tube frame mark

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Old 30th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...rrior-ext3.jpg<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">new line of motor homes.
Weekend Warrior Toyhauler Trailers

can it be plastic boxes?
http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/08i...rrior-bath.jpg
great Idea?
still waiting on the tube frame mark

I'm not sure what we're talking about in that last post but... I'm in desperate need of a Morse PART # 30W301-LR it's a 30:1 Worm drive with double output shafts. If you can get a great deal on one PM me so we can talk! Thanks
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Good News!!

At least one of the Stabilines seems to work!

She's arrived!-06-29-07_1933.jpg

And another one really wants to work...

She's arrived!-06-29-07_1944.jpg

Anyone wanna take bets on the 3rd?
Old 30th June 2007
Super Moderator

Put an external volt meter on the output of those units to confirm that the meters are correct...
The meters may need to be calibrated.

As you may already know, you can adjust the amount of output voltage you want.
Have you played with those controls yet?
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for Jesus

Thumbs up Looks GREAT !

Man nice project ! heh

Pics look great ! Nice work

Old 30th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Put an external volt meter on the output of those unitsto confirm that the meters are correct... The meters may need to be calibrated.

As you may already know, you can adjust the amount of output voltage you want.
Have you played with those controls yet?
I can adjust the output voltage from 20V to 150V... with varous sensitivities. These things are pretty cool!

I hooked up #3 and was only getting 60V at the meter but 148V at the output. After a bit of detective work I found some leads to the meter that had been chewed through (damn desert rats!). I hooked them up and now the meter is reading correctly. I do suspect however, that unit #2 just needs to be calibrated. I may get around to checking that later today. Thanks for the suggestion Steve.

How cool is that? All 3 units are working!
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for Jesus

To bad that sucker wasent powered up when that rat was chewing on it ,,
weed have one less rat

Old 30th June 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomhead View Post
I can adjust the output voltage from 20V to 150V... with varous sensitivities. These things are pretty cool!

I hooked up #3 and was only getting 60V at the meter but 148V at the output. After a bit of detective work I found some leads to the meter that had been chewed through (damn desert rats!). I hooked them up and now the meter is reading correctly. I do suspect however, that unit #2 just needs to be calibrated. I may get around to checking that later today. Thanks for the suggestion Steve.

How cool is that? All 3 units are working!

Sweet!
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been on the horn all day with vendors and reps about this silly worm gear. I really, really wish I could deal directly with the manufacturer. I've had a wild variety of quotes (up to $1600) but I finally found a place in PA that can get the parts sub $300. Boy am I relieved. I just hope the right parts show up at my door 3 weeks from now.
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Removing the old racks...

Today we removed an old tape machine rack that was smack in the middle of the new mix position... Everything metal in this truck (except the frame railing) is made of 1/4" Steel. I also learned that a 9" grinder can recoil back hit you with the power of 6 horses... Ouch.

She's arrived!-07-03-07_1608.jpg

I've also spent a little time building a model in Sketchup...

She's arrived!-trailer-1.jpg

Everyone have a safe and fun holiday tomorrow!
Old 27th April 2008
Gear Maniac

I hope everyone is doing well, I've had to take some time away from GS to get some work done!

Update:

Waited nearly 9 months for the worm gear parts... but I have them and the transmission has been rebuilt. I'm in the middle of a sound design project right now, but we'll be back to work on the truck in a few weeks! heh

And to anyone who's interested, there is a trailer similar to mine up on ebay right now. $13k with 5 days left!! I'm glad I got mine before the cost of metal went through the roof!

She's arrived!-dsc_0082.jpg

Last edited by Axiomhead; 27th April 2008 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: poorer grammar than usual...
Old 28th April 2008
Lives for gear

While you're at it, make sure to clean the brushes and exposed windings on the Variacs in the Stablines. The bare copper will tarnish and you'll get voltage spikes as the wiper moves across them. Ask me how I know.
Old 20th May 2009
Super Moderator

How's your truck project coming along.
It's been some time since we've heard from you.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey Steve! I quit GS a while back, I was spending too much time on the forum getting sucked in by trolls. The truck is still here, we have all the components for the remodel of the interior, and a bunch of the gear. My brother and I had a conversation about it the other day, and we're gonna hit it hard pretty soon, and get a bunch of the remodel knocked out.

I'll update as we progress!
Old 14th May 2010
Super Moderator

Outstanding!

I completely understand the dynamic and what you and your brother is experiencing.

All the best to you and the project.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear