The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
low budget mobile setup
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Question low budget mobile setup

Hey guys. Im putting together a low budget mobile setup for recording rock/metal bands live. Right now ive got a Presonus firepod with my desktop ive been lugging around. In the next 2 months im building a rackmounted PC along the lines of a 3.0GhZ Intel w 2gig of ram. Im not opposed to getting rid of the firepod, if anything id like to get rid of it and move past that point in my setup. Id like to have a setup capable of pulling 16-24 tracks. I would also like to use this rig for all types of mobile recording situations and make it as versitle as possible without spending major $. The bands i ususally work for have low budgets so it keeps my budget down also. Id like to get out under 3K including the computer(the guy that builds my PC said btwn 850-1000$ there) So im working on a budget of about 2K.

Ive done some searches and most of the gear you guys reccomend is $$$$. So lets see what you guys can come up with!

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

mackie onyx for mixer/pre/interface

traktion or Samplitude LE for the software.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

the MOTU stuff, which is expandable, is a nice option. you can use audiodesk until you get a better DAW.
or, get a 002R and swap the Firepod for a Digimax for 16 ins.
the ONYX might be a nice option as well. I heard the pres in those arent all that bad either, and its a decent digital mixer as well.

you really might want to look into a powerbook if you concentrating on live recording. luggin around a PC/Desktop is a grudge in it self...even if its racked with a monitor.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

he can also use a PC laptop. Samplitude LE is only 49 bucks. Samplitude is the heat...goes without saying.

as I mentioned before , I have a friend who used to work at one of the really high end audio manufacturers. He is a location classical recording guy like myself. I was asking him one day what he used in the field, knowing full well that he had access to millions in gear. He says , "Oh, I use a Onyx Mixer, and a laptop going into sequoia"

he says that the onyx has tons of clean gain, does the job, and is very affordable. Interesting stuff.

Hes not just Joe Snuffy recording cousin earls tub band either. He gets MAJOR classical contracts,and just went on the road with rammstein.

teddy
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

you might want to investigate focusrite saffire pros. seems to be a nice step up from the firepod and you can stack multiple units on top of each other. its kind of new still though so there isn't much info on the net about them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search