The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...
Old 22nd May 2010
Talking Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...

Important note: No photographers were harmed in the making of these photos!

Yep, whether I needed too or not I was dead set on building my steel caged hand truck design!

These photos show the build progress of our new "portable" (hello) power isolation transformer with its new protective/transportable steel cage.

The metering, switches, breakers, connectors and such on this Topaz Ultra Isolation Transformer were custom modified in our shop awhile back. We modified two of the six Topaz XFMRs we have.
One lives in The Bread Mobile with 15 series Cam-Loks and the other is (as you can see in the photos) our portable unit.

The next project in between finishing Elroy and continuing the Cosmo project is designing and building a transportable steel cage for our huge portable air conditioner...

I'll start a different thread for that project.

You likey?

I likey!

Attached Thumbnails
Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7897.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7903.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7904.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7906.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7908.jpg  

Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7910.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7913.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7939.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7940.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7941.jpg  

Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7943.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7898.jpg   Every now & then you may want to make a 300lb XFMR portable...-acxfmr_7899.jpg  
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Sheesh! That's hunka, hunka, hunka burning xformer! I guess I will stick with the SD recorders for now. And the little teenie-weenie MZ-RH1. LOL
Old 22nd May 2010
I'm going to wait to hear what the guys at Guitar Center have to say about it...
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

How do you get that in and out of the truck? That looks mighty heavy... Do you have a ramp or a lift gate?

--Ben
Old 22nd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Sheesh! That's hunka, hunka, hunka burning xformer! I guess I will stick with the SD recorders for now. And the little teenie-weenie MZ-RH1. LOL
Keep in mind that you're aways welcomed to plug your MZ-RH1 and SD recorders into our little isolation transformer. The neutral is floating, so you will not have any hums and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I'm going to wait to hear what the guys at Guitar Center have to say about it...
Ah yes, the Banjo Depot; a wise move for sure. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
How do you get that in and out of the truck? That looks mighty heavy... Do you have a ramp or a lift gate?

--Ben
The cage was designed and installed to protect the unit when in transit.
It is indeed meant to ride in a truck.

Of course we would need a lift-gate, ramp or loading dock, but one person can move the unit.
If a lift-gate or ramp is not available we have a roll around "Ped-A-Lift" manual lifter that can be used. It can handle up to a 750 lb. load.

I purchased that lifter way back when we needed to move the washer and dryer (aka two heavy 2" analog tape machines) in and out of Jethro.

Jethro's side door did not have a lift-gate.
We used a ramp before I grabbed that groovy lifter.
I still have the ramp.

It's all about having plenty of options to choose from.
Old 23rd May 2010
urumita

Maspeth is where my Gramps started to expand his Pop's wholesale flower delivery business into a full fledged trucking company (Perkins) He took the wheels off of a canada dry trailer for his first loading dock. He had the Republic Steel warehouse until he sold it to Gallo
I want to sell my isotfx but can't find any buyers...

If interested just PM me for the details.
Old 31st May 2010
Gear Maniac

i remember you telling me about this years ago. it looks great. i may have some time to pass by the shop. been hearing good things. i will call you if i can make it. wanna see all the progress. firing on all cylinders thumbsup
Old 31st May 2010
Yes, there are a lot of things that were designed awhile back that are finally getting addressed and completed for 2010.

I have a few projects on the fast track; doing my best to make them all so.

We have our best efforts in the works.
We are all looking forward to completing them ASAP...

Then the celebrations begins!
Old 4th June 2010
Gear Maniac

i happen to move this beast around when i visited the shop. it was easy to handle which is hard to believe when you realize how heavy this trannie is.
Old 25th August 2019
I always wanted to add two rubber feet, yet nine plus years later I still didn't get a chance to make it so.

Right now, it's just two 1" square tubes that support and hold the unit in place when in operation.

In any event, this portable XFMR works flawlessly.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear