The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mobile recording laptop
Old 10th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtranscendedx View Post
I plan on recording 16 ch at once via firewire into a laptop,and mix and edit on another pc just plan on tracking on the laptop just tracking.What are the minium specs i need.oh and i wanna use amd. thumbsup
Use Reaper to track and you can get by with any cheap laptop out on the market now. Firewire will be your only issue ( not many cheap laptops have it). Make sure it has a compatible chipset for your device. Otherwise, buy an express firewire adapter that is compatible.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Use Reaper to track and you can get by with any cheap laptop out on the market now. Firewire will be your only issue ( not many cheap laptops have it). Make sure it has a compatible chipset for your device. Otherwise, buy an express firewire adapter that is compatible.
So any cheapo laptop can track decently enough? I'm not the OP, I just bumped the post. I'll be on some ****ty USB M-Audio FastTrack/MobilePre or something like that. Most likely, I will just record TWO inputs :P And I'm on C6.5 btw....

I'm thinking I want to spend <$500.

I should probably post this in the "Low End" room.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Just realized...

I still need to be able to direct monitor and get clear playback to make sure I'm getting decent signals. What specs should I try to keep high enough to be able to monitor, record, and playback without ****ty pops/clicks for only 2-4 tracks of audio with no effects??

Thanks again....
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

lenovo thinkpad laptops are the best choice in the PC world. i tried a MB pro with logic for a short while, but went right back to a thinkpad, mostly because after 20 years or more as a windows user, i knew how to troubleshoot and fix almost anything that i ran into, whereas on the MBP i did not have enough mac experience to fix anything, and that got very aggravating very fast.

i would be looking for an i7 processor, 3rd generation, with the fastest front-side buss speed and the largest on-chip cache, usb3 port(s), at least 4gb ram, and the best SSD you can find. win 7 is perfectly stable in my studio (running reaper), but i have win 8 on my other thinkpad and it seems faster and cleaner that win 7.
Old 10th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
So any cheapo laptop can track decently enough? I'm not the OP, I just bumped the post. I'll be on some ****ty USB M-Audio FastTrack/MobilePre or something like that. Most likely, I will just record TWO inputs :P And I'm on C6.5 btw....

I'm thinking I want to spend <$500.

I should probably post this in the "Low End" room.
USB is actually preferable since all cheap laptops have it. Firewire pushes you in a higher price bracket with laptops. Your only potential issue on a cheap laptop is whether Cubase will even run on it ( if it meets the system requirements). That's why I suggested Reaper for cheap laptop tracking since it seems to run on anything and you can always import your files into your main Cubase machine later if need be. I bought a $350 bottom of the barrel laptop for my wife a year ago and it runs Reaper without any issues.
Old 10th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Just realized...

I still need to be able to direct monitor and get clear playback to make sure I'm getting decent signals. What specs should I try to keep high enough to be able to monitor, record, and playback without ****ty pops/clicks for only 2-4 tracks of audio with no effects??

Thanks again....
Again( see my post above) 2-4 tracks of audio recording is not demanding on a computer in this day and age. Any machine that meets the requirements of your software and hardware will be fine. You barely need any processing power to record a few audio tracks.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

If 4 tracks and minimal expense is your goal, why not a Tascam DR680? Decent mic preamps, small form factor, reliable, record to SD card. Several under $500...
mobile recording laptopTascam Dr 680 8 Track Portable Audio Recorder 043774025466 | eBay

HB
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear
I agree with Harry's suggestion of looking at the DR680 as a more cost effective, simple, portable and trustworthy option than a laptop and a firewire interface. The DR680 has it all in one small box, runs on 8 AA's, records to SDHC, and gives you 4 XLR and 2 TRS channels to record.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
If 4 tracks and minimal expense is your goal, why not a Tascam DR680? Decent mic preamps, small form factor, reliable, record to SD card. Several under $500...
mobile recording laptopTascam Dr 680 8 Track Portable Audio Recorder 043774025466 | eBay

HB
I'll def look into that DR-680....thanks for the suggestion!!

However, I really just needed a new laptop anyways. Actually, now Im just looking at upgrading the CPU and RAM on this POS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search