The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eternal question - AES EBU interface for a laptop (MacBook Pro)
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Metric Halo LIO-8. You can link them for more inputs.

More expensive route might be an SSL AlphaLink Madi SX and a RME Madiface.

The SSL will give you 24 channels of A-D and AES inputs as well. Lots of channels, but a little costly.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
the DX32 base unit would provide that same functionality with a lot more room for expansion, so initially I was surprised that the prices were so similar.
I assume you mean the AX32 base unit. What's inside the AX32 base unit and the DX32 is pretty much the same, which is why they are priced very similar. We do have customers who start off looking at the DX32 and end up buying the AX32 base unit without any A/D or D/A cards, based on the same conclusion as you have reached. As a manufacturer we like that as empty slots seems to create a desire to be filled .

Quote:
That said, if it makes sense for your company to develop a simpler AES>Dante interface at a lower price point, I'd be very interested.
If that's what you're looking for then don't wait for us. We're not in the market for "simple and cheap" products (and that is not meant in any negative way, there are plenty of very good products out there that fit that description). Our specialty is making products that offer very high sound quality and lots of features and functionality at a higher price level.

Quote:
I also recognize that the Dante license could contribute significantly to a manufacturer's costs.
I will not go into the details of the financial agreement between Audinate and us or any of the other Dante adopters, however I have seen and heard the "license comment" quite a few times now so I'd to comment on that. Audinate manufacture a small Dante Card, called Brooklyn II, and a Dante chip, called Ultimo. You can read more about them on www.audinate.com so I will not bore you with the details. We, and all the other Dante adopters buy these hardware products from Audinate and of course Audinate earn some money on that.

Audinate don't just put that money into their pockets, they actually invest it in product development. We, and all the other 200+ Dante adopters, regularly get software updates from Audinate with new features, such as the recently added latency measurements.

While the engineers Audinate are doing all this Work, our engineers can focus on developing new products and new features for our products. And when Audinate release new features, we just throw them into our products.

So to us, Audinate is "our" R&D (Research and Deveopment) department specialized in network technology. And the cost of that R&D department is shared with the 200+ Dante adopters, making it a lot cheaper for each Dante adopter, as they don't have to employ their own engineers to do it. This is also one of the reasons why even relatively small manufacturers can implement Dante in their products. And then there's the added benefits such as guaranteed interoperability because every Dante adopter is using the same software.

Anyway, I'm late for the AES Convention so I'd better hit the road.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Just as a little contribution to this thread: The RME madiface USB also has 1 AES input: the MADI BNC input automatically recognises AES audio if present.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict

Hello all,

Sorry if it is bad form to resurrect this thread, but since I have exactly the same question as Ivo did several years ago, I thought it better to add on to this one...

Just to make sure I have done my research carefully, is there at the end of 2016 still no solution on the market for interfacing 8 (or at most 12-16) channels of AES/EBU into a laptop, without a plethora of additional features?

I have seen the new(ish) MOTU 112D, which in many ways is what I am looking for, but offers many times more channels than I need, and I would much prefer spending less if possible, since I would only use about 10-15% of this unit's full capability -- I just need 8 AES inputs. I'm not a Mac user, so USB solutions are of interest.

I am well aware that there are lots of full-featured interfaces (with preamps, conversion, etc.) offering AES input -- but typically only 2 channels. And I have also seen that it is perhaps possible to cobble together this many AES inputs using a combination of adapters to these units' SPDIF and/or ADAT inputs, but this is similarly not ideal.

Something like the RME HDSPe AES card if it could interface directly with a laptop would be perfect -- however, since this is a PCI card, it is again questionable how this could work... uneasy at the thought of experimenting with some kind of external PCI card chassis.

Anything I'm missing? Large number of outputs not needed -- it is the inputs I'm after. The goal here is to have a relatively compact solution for getting digital outs from a few devices (Sound Devices, a dedicated A/D converter) all into a laptop for location recording.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

Best,
Luke
Old 19th December 2016
On the high end

A Merging Hapi Base Frame will give you 8 Channels of AES/EBU I/O. The Horus has 24 Channels of AES I/O. These interface with Cat6 cable and use AES67 drivers for either a Mac or PC.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Focusrite D16.
Old 20th December 2016
Lynx aurora 16 with the LT-TB (thunderbolt) card allows you to use all 16 analog inputs as well as the 16 AES/EBU simultaneously (32 inputs in all).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search