The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

...but my new desk!

i could pic up this desk (to which i might add the meter bridge at a later stage) for a ridiculous price though: ain't really bad either!
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200616_210838.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200804_162555.jpg  
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
this is a first look at the latest and possibly the most advanced remote truck around here, owned and operated by the state-funded national broadcasting company - veeery nice imo!

the only thing which bugs me (a lot though) is than on some concerts, i'm competing with the national broadcaster: of course they mostly win - as they can offer two things no private competitor can offer, which is a) to go on-air via the national network and b) to not charge anything (!) if the client agrees on first broadcast by the national broadcaster...

kinda perpetuum mobile - good for the client, good for the national broadcaster, good for the audience but very bad for the privately owned and run competitor; in fact, this kills almost all competition!

anyway, here's the pic:
Are those left and right concert hall images silk-screened on acoustic panels?

Quote:
i could pic up this desk (to which i might add the meter bridge at a later stage) for a ridiculous price though: ain't really bad either!
Go for it!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Are those left and right concert hall images silk-screened on acoustic panels?
yep - picturing one of the better-known concert halls in my country iirc

i haven't been broadcasting from this venue for some years (!) for reasons mentioned in my previous post... :-(
i do occasionally mix live in there though and i do track a couple of solo concerts (mostly piano) or then full orchestra with/out choir every now and then.

Quote:
Go for it!
thx - i will!

the deal is fixed but there are still some details which need to get sorted out, meaning i want to get rid of some gear which i don't need as it's either overkill or then i already have the gear:
here are some more pics with just some of the gear (!) which comes with the desk... - i guess i'll 'limit' things to 192 analog inputs and 96 analog outputs plus a couple of hundrets digital i/o's in aes, madi and dante... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200618_172302.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200618_172447.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200618_172502.jpg  
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

Why are they selling that console? If it's to replace it with another one, what desk did they decide on?

Quote:
yep - picturing one of the better-known concert halls in my country iirc

i haven't been broadcasting from this venue for some years (!) for reasons mentioned in my previous post... :-(
i do occasionally mix live in there though and i do track a couple of solo concerts (mostly piano) or then full orchestra with/out choir every now and then.

thx - i will!

the deal is fixed but there are still some details which need to get sorted out, meaning i want to get rid of some gear which i don't need as it's either overkill or then i already have the gear:
here are some more pics with just some of the gear (!) which comes with the desk... - i guess i'll 'limit' things to 192 analog inputs and 96 analog outputs plus a couple of hundrets digital i/o's in aes, madi and dante... :-)
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why are they selling that console? If it's to replace it with another one, what desk did they decide on?
which one?

the stagetec avatus in the truck replaces a studer vista 5; the national broadcaster has gone from old stagetec (don't recall the model) in the mid-nineties to studer vista (mid-noughties?) of which they had several desks (vista 8 and vista 5) in vans and studios.

___

what's more interesting is that they haven't gone with lawo as this brand has become hugely popular around here: the largest european fleet of broadcast trucks is a privately owned german company and they not too long ago replaced ALL their desks (from several manufactures) in their fleet of 30+ trucks with lawo! - that's where i got one of my vista 1's from :-)

another interesting fact is that up until last year, the stagetec - as impressive as it seems to have become - was still mostly a design-in-progress and several companies which are associated with the brand (stagetec, nexus, salzbrenner) seem to have gone through a difficult period... - the fact that i know of several venues which replaced their stagetec desks with anything-but-stagetec made the national broadcaster's decision even more unusual!

don't get me wrong: from what it looks, the avatus now is possibly the most-advanced desk in existence! i wish studer woud have gone that way, mostly in terms of the surface which on the stagetec imo nicely combines access to functions via knobs and multiple touch screens (although in general terms, imo touch screens are overrated and become pretty much useless with too much sunlight - not much of an issue in a truck but certainly problematic when using the desks live or carrying them around in flight cases like i do)

___

regarding studer, as you may know, the headquarters of studer were moved from regensdorf, switzerland to somewhere in the u.s. (texas iirc), 'merging' the dsp-design of several ex-harman/now-samsung brands.

not sure this was entirely smart: from an european point of view, they could as well have gone to somewhere in the third world; it certainly caused a huge brain-drain and lots of european broadcasting companies losing interest and faith in the brand -
customer service and marketing has indeed been problematic for years; production remains in pécs, hungary afaik.

the swiss distributor gets to work with a leading ex-studer tech/designer so i have absolutely zero doubt about potential issues in my case, besides the fact that if something can't get done with a studer vista, chances are that the issues are NOT to be found on the audio side but with the operator!

___

the studer vista v 42-fader which i'm getting stems from the state-funded local theater: it got replaced with digico sd7t/soundgrid server running a ton of waves plugins: good for them, good for me :-)

the digico's certainly have a much wider user base but personally, i'm not much of a fan of them (for too many reasons beyond the scope of this thread) and i would NEVER wanna replace a studer vista with a digico (or pretty much any other desk - maybe except for the above mentioned stagetec)!

corona lockdown (which wasn't really a 'lockdown' here but it caused theatres to close for a few months neverthless) plus the usual break in the summer months for the theater leaves enough time to make the transition between desks go pretty easy although - except for their chief tech - most other techs and freelancers will have to dive deeply to fully explore the digico's automation system...

anyway, the 'official' reason to replace the vista v (pls note that in studer-geek-speech, there's a difference between roman v and arabic 5) were reliability issues; the inoffical reason was that the comandante en jefe was disappointed by the customer service (which i can understand) and that studer went abroad (which i cannot understand: imo harman samsung risks ruining another company)...

___

to fully understand the allegations of 'reliability issues', let me stretch a bit on studer desks:

in terms of reliability, here's something which the average user of other desks cannot know: the larger studer vista desks (in fact any of their desks except/above the vista1) come with a so-called 'configuration tool' which is both absolutely brilliant but also damn' dangerous:

the config tool lets you decide on the bus structure, routing possibilities, dsp allocation etc. and hence on how the entire desk will present itself on the surface and what's going on under the hood.
if you want to have a channel which cannot get routed to the main buses but is only allowed to get fed to stereo aux 40 (say for a click track to get fed to the drummer's in-ears), you can do that in the config tool - pretty neat, innit?

i'm not gonna go into every detail about the tool but there are two things which are indeed a bit scary and the very reason why and for which - what in fact is an user error - studer gets the blame (for all the wrong reasons):

first, the vistas have insane routing and dsp capabilities: every bus/mix/output/destination can also become and input/channel/source (and dca's can have dsp, no kidding!) - the experienced user will immediately identify the problem: one can cause feedback loops within the desk, just by patching (and for this, one doesn't even need the config tool, it's intrinsic: truely an anything-to-anything patchbay)!

the other thing is that studer offers the option to remotely control the desks - and by remotely i mean the desk being located anywhere in the world with access to the internet - in the background for trouble shooting while the operator keeps mixing!! (there's a video on the studer website going into details). in order for this to work, the configurations need to get checked my studer; this service isn't for free but costs you around 1000 bucks (at least the last time i asked about it); studer then guarantees that the desk will properly work and can get supervised/reconfigured/'serviced' remotely.

now most folks don't want or need this and keep their desks running in the same configuration all the time without any issue - those would don't, who write their one config's and don't get them checked/corrected by studer may very well experience issues: the config tool has some idiosyncrasies which are not being documented so one can indeed program things which will lead the desk to crash, not necessarily even immediately but when murphy's law strikes...

___

rant: studer's documentation on their desks, their homepage and the 'customer support' via distributors in most cases is a complete joke - and this with desks starting in 7-figure range?!? in fact, it's been impossible for years - and it keeps being the case - to find manuals describing all functions and options of their desks: how stupid is that?!

the only excuse is that the desks are insanely complex, but then my idea about supporting the customers/clients (and in the end their own brand) would be to provide as many details as possible, not to limit access to information - it seems to be endemic: most distributor don't know much about the desks either! cannot even blame them...

i can understand that studer doesn't wanna deal with every newbie directly; nevertheless, it's a shame and actually stupid if not ironic as on the surface/when correctly configured, the vista's imo are the most easy-to-manoeuvre desks, with the fastest workflow, incredible and unique features and of course impeccable sound, to the point that i'm having a hard time everytime i'm forced working on a different desk (and i'm still not quite getting why other manufacturers haven't long adopted at least those things which are not or no longer protected by a copyright)!

...so studer: bump up your customer service!

___

i'd like to stress the fact that - although i'm a huge fan of the studer desks and which i guess has become obvious - i'm not affiliated with studer-harman-samsung in any regard! i happen to own (three and now soon) four of their desks though - here are some pics:

___

p.s. what makes me sad is that this summer i wanted to use two of the vista desks when sharing mixing duties/go on tour together with SamC - miss ya, bro!
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20200219_142109.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20191129_203004.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-vista-32-2.jpg  
Old 6th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
good for the client, good for the national broadcaster, good for the audience but very bad for the privately owned and run competitor; in fact, this kills almost all competition!
The public service undercutting the private sector – the very people whose taxes fund such ventures are being put of out business by the ventures their taxes are funding!
Old 6th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Over-achieving through under-achieving

This little rig (along with a Sony RX100 MkIII pocket camera, a tripod, stereo bar and some cables) allows me trek into a remote village, record and film some traditional musicians, and hand them a completed video with synchronised sound before leaving. On-the-spot post-production from a backpack.

Nagra 7, matched pair Sennheiser MKH800s, Etymotic ER4 microPro canal phones, iPad Pro, Sony RX100 MkIII (not shown because it’s taking the pic). Also seen here is the Shure MV88 backup mic and the Insta360 One X camera that sits in the middle of the stereo bar and captures a 360° mics’ eye view of the session...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-875cf8bf-74b8-436d-829d-422a5157ecfc.jpg  
Old 11th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
In the center we have our MADI Record Rack which has all sorts of stuff...

The RME MADI Router connects to the I/O panel for console (and such) interfacing, and is directly wired to the two SD PIX270i recorders...
Steve, why did you select the PIX270i recorders? Is it in order to have a video reference of what’s going on on the stage while also recording some audio?
Or do they just record a bunch of audio tracks via madi?

It looks like Sound Devices no longer makes that unit unfortunately.
Old 11th August 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

Thanks for asking...

At the time Sound Devices was getting into the video business and calling it Video Devices.

The main reason why I went with the PIX270i instead of the 970 recorders was to be able to record the line cut of the performance we were capturing. Being able to look at the line cut while mixing is a tremendous advantage for me. On large input counts with so many additional guest inputs, it's quite helpful.

On video gigs, I usually would have one PIX270i capturing audio and video and the other operates like a standard 970 recorder.

As you may already know, these recorders can accept 64 channels of MADI, 64 channels of Dante, 8 channels of AES, 8 channels of analog audio or any combination of inputs.

Yeah, Sound Devices got out of the video business and no longer makes that unit. I found a PIX270i in very good condition with all sorts of extras on eBay for a killer price. I had to grab it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten10MXR View Post
Steve, why did you select the PIX270i recorders? Is it in order to have a video reference of what’s going on on the stage while also recording some audio?
Or do they just record a bunch of audio tracks via madi?

It looks like Sound Devices no longer makes that unit unfortunately.
Old 16th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So even the SD Pix270i has Dante? I thought I looked at the manual and didn't see that as an option but I could certainly been mistaken.

I have a JoeCo BBR64-Dante, which has been perfect so far, and while I love the SD products, I would probably go for another JoeCo for a dedicated BU. In my work, I would say I never need the video portion of the recording.

Great advantage for you Steve, the sort of work you do.

D.
Quote:
Thanks for asking...

At the time Sound Devices was getting into the video business and calling it Video Devices.

The main reason why I went with the PIX270i instead of the 970 recorders was to be able to record the line cut of the performance we were capturing. Being able to look at the line cut while mixing is a tremendous advantage for me. On large input counts with so many additional guest inputs, it's quite helpful.

On video gigs, I usually would have one PIX270i capturing audio and video and the other operates like a standard 970 recorder.

As you may already know, these recorders can accept 64 channels of MADI, 64 channels of Dante, 8 channels of AES, 8 channels of analog audio or any combination of inputs.

Yeah, Sound Devices got out of the video business and no longer makes that unit. I found a PIX270i in very good condition with all sorts of extras on eBay for a killer price. I had to grab it!
Same reason here, PIX270i is such a nice equipment. The only problem to record audio with video, is once the video signal drop out, the audio goes out as well. Must be careful with the cable / connector quality.
I even use it as a MADI to Dante converter, to sent audio to a Yamaha TF mixer with Dante input for simple live sound mix.
Super Moderator

Yep, it has MADI.

The PIX270i is basically a 970 with the ability to record video.

The reason why I never went with the JoeCo BlackBoxes which are great recorders is the fact that you only have one I/O option to decide on when you purchase them. The fact that I would need to buy a recorder for each I/O option is insane to me.

I work in situations where things can change. I need my recordings to have all possible I/O options available as per the production's needs.

I may not need the video portion every time, but I do need to be able to switch out from MADI to Dante to AES to analog or any combination of these I/O possibilities.

That said, even when there is no video production per say, I love having the option of seeing the performance during the mix session. It comes in handy on large guest vocal counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
So even the SD Pix270i has Dante? I thought I looked at the manual and didn't see that as an option but I could certainly been mistaken.

I have a JoeCo BBR64-Dante, which has been perfect so far, and while I love the SD products, I would probably go for another JoeCo for a dedicated BU. In my work, I would say I never need the video portion of the recording.

Great advantage for you Steve, the sort of work you do.

D.
Super Moderator

The PIX270i is indeed a great recorder and my "Swiss Army Knife" device too.

Well, any signal can drop out if the condition or quality of the cable and connector isn't at its best. In any case, I have multiple machines. We usually run two PIX270i recorders and a Pro Tools rig, so we are covered with using three recorders for many of our captures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Same reason here, PIX270i is such a nice equipment. The only problem to record audio with video, is once the video signal drop out, the audio goes out as well. Must be careful with the cable / connector quality.
I even use it as a MADI to Dante converter, to sent audio to a Yamaha TF mixer with Dante input for simple live sound mix.
Old 18th August 2020 | Show parent
Yes, always backup. I have separate back up system as well.
Found this issue while on system setup. The camera was turn off the move, while I am recording the rehearsal. Not because of connection, but it did happen before. I tried not to connect to the camera directly, but to a switcher instead.
I use PIX270i not only for a madi/dante converter, but also madi/AES digital converter for the TC Electronics Clarity-M audio meter.

Quote:
The PIX270i is indeed a great recorder and my "Swiss Army Knife" device too.

Well, any signal can drop out if the condition or quality of the cable and connector isn't at its best. In any case, I have multiple machines. We usually run two PIX270i recorders and a Pro Tools rig, so we are covered with using three recorders for many of our captures.
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
PIX270i is such a nice equipment. The only problem to record audio with video, is once the video signal drop out, the audio goes out as well.
That seems to be a problem with a lot of modern digital video gear. They are video designers and forget that the audio is at least as important as the picture. They could just as easily have designed the gear to record "black" for the video while continuing to record the audio tracks.
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Super Moderator

Automatically switching to video black when the video signal is lost is a fabulous idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
That seems to be a problem with a lot of modern digital video gear. They are video designers and forget that the audio is at least as important as the picture. They could just as easily have designed the gear to record "black" for the video while continuing to record the audio tracks.
📝 Reply