The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recorder conundrum
Old 1 week ago
Recorder conundrum

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about an upgrade, improve and streamline my setup for location and on the road. While this isn't a money-making scheme for me at the moment, I do plan on making money in this regard but for now, it's more for fun.

I'm currently running a Zoom H6 which is also used as my travel interface for teaching online lessons. I've already got microphones that I use with the zoom (LOM Uši and Line Audio CM4) and while they're not Sennheiser MKH I don't see the need to purchase more microphones yet.

Lately, I've been getting more and more into location recording and ambient, atmosphere recording and there have been a few times where the preamps are simply too noisy for what I was trying to record. I've been looking at the Sony PCM D-100, I'm aware that this doesn't run as an audio interface(?), and the Sound Devices MixPre 6 II (MixPre 10 II is over my budget for now), I've also read plenty of good things about the Zoom F8n and F6.I'm honestly not sure whether I want a hand-held recorder or a dedicated recorder like the Sound Devices. To put things simply, update my recorder or not.

In regards to my budget, the MixPre 6 II in Germany runs around €1000 and the Sony PCM D-100 is about €650. In order to fund this purchase, I would sell my complete Zoom package (the H6, various mic capsules). Also, it would be perfect, but not a deal-breaker, if the device worked as an audio interface for those times when I needed to teach online lessons.

I'm not against buying used equipment, it's simply a personal preference to buy electronic equipment with some sort of guarantee and warranty.

Would anyone mind sharing their opinions, ideas, advice or links to any posts that I may have missed in my search?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
How many tracks do you want to record at once ?

If just 2, try a SD702...if 4, a SD744 ?

The 744 features lists as:

The ultra-compact 744T records and plays back audio to and from its internal hard drive, CompactFlash, or external drives, making field recording simple and fast. It writes and reads uncompressed PCM audio at 16 or 24 bits with sampling rates between 32kHz and 192 kHz. It also writes and reads data compressed FLAC and audio compressed MP2 and MP3 files. The time code implementation makes the 744T ready for any recording job—from over the-shoulder to cart-based production. The 744T implements a no-compromise audio path that includes Sound Devices’ next generation microphone preamplifiers. Designed specifically for high bandwidth, high bit rate digital recording, these preamps set a new standard for frequency response linearity, low distortion performance, and low noise.

The file transfer is via Firewire, not usb...but you can also record to the CF card and take that out and transfer via a card reader, and you could probably use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter if you have a TB equipped laptop on the road.

With these SD 7 series recorders you'll get low cost (used), very good and low noise mic preamps, portability with ruggedness...but you'll lose the interface ability.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
How many tracks do you want to record at once ?

If just 2, try a SD702...if 4, a SD744 ?

The 744 features lists as:

The ultra-compact 744T records and plays back audio to and from its internal hard drive, CompactFlash, or external drives, making field recording simple and fast. It writes and reads uncompressed PCM audio at 16 or 24 bits with sampling rates between 32kHz and 192 kHz. It also writes and reads data compressed FLAC and audio compressed MP2 and MP3 files. The time code implementation makes the 744T ready for any recording job—from over the-shoulder to cart-based production. The 744T implements a no-compromise audio path that includes Sound Devices’ next generation microphone preamplifiers. Designed specifically for high bandwidth, high bit rate digital recording, these preamps set a new standard for frequency response linearity, low distortion performance, and low noise.

The file transfer is via Firewire, not usb...but you can also record to the CF card and take that out and transfer via a card reader, and you could probably use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter if you have a TB equipped laptop on the road.

With these SD 7 series recorders you'll get low cost (used), very good and low noise mic preamps, portability with ruggedness...but you'll lose the interface ability.
Thanks for your reply!

I have thought about the Sound Devices 7.. series, it seems that all the best deals for those are in the US though! I have been keeping my eye out though.

In regards to channels, two is perfect for me at the moment, 4 would be even better so I can expand in the near future and something like the 788 would be super amazing but I feel that's overkill for what I'm aiming for. While I've got nothing against Firewire (my current audio interface is Firewire - looking to update this too), I would prefer something with a bit more modern connections to avoid all the adapters if that's possible. I know they have the new 8.. series which is simply way above my budget but does seem to be the perfect device considering it could be used as a Dante interface from my understanding.

Doesn't the 744T only have 2 mic pres? The other 2 are Line meaning I would need a preamp right?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear