The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Truck Recorded Rolling Thunder Revue?
Old 25th October 2019
What Truck Recorded Rolling Thunder Revue?

I am putting this here so that someone will see it

Anyone out there know what truck was used to record the live concert tracks for Rolling Thunder Revue? Can't find any reference on the WWW anywhere. Seems like it would be a simple question.

D.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

No idea about the truck used (or even if a truck was used) but here's an image of some credits from one particular RTR show... from artwork from the "Bootleg" series. I saw Don DeVito's name several times looking through several pages. Don't know if it for was source recording or the compilation. It looks like for the recent RTR special, dozens of sources were used from the recordings made at the shows... with edits and splices (within songs) between shows not unusual. Looks like it was a crazy mess for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
What Truck Recorded Rolling Thunder Revue?-dylan-rtr-credits.jpeg  
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
Counting down the minutes until this gets moved to the Mobile/Location rigs sub-forum...

In the booklet of my 2002 "Bootleg Series: Live 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue" double CD (Sony Music) it says the tracks included were '24 track recordings made by a professional sound truck in Worcester (Memorial Auditorium), Boston (Boston Music Hall), Cambridge (Harvard Square Theatre) and Montreal (Forum de Montreal). The only direct reference to recording personnel in the booklet is :'Original recordings supervised by Don DeVito'

As Harry mentioned above, there's also reference made to the producers assembling a 'typical show recording ' from the best versions of the multiple recordings they had available to them as 24 tracks from those concerts.

The booklet also states that of the 70 people in the tour buses, 15 were film crew (they were taking footage for the rambling multi-hour documentary 'Renaldo & Clara' which was shown sporadically several years later)

It might be worth checking out the recent Scorsese/Netflix documentary of the tour, to see if any facts are revealed therein ? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4gsWDSn68

Last edited by studer58; 25th October 2019 at 02:08 PM..
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
The docs is great but its more fiction than fact, its an elaborate concoction from Bob and Scorsese, but the music is excellent
Great to see Mick Ronson in the Band
Hulls forgotten hero.
The Maysle Brothers filmed Dylans UK tour, they did great concert material
I think credit belongs to them on Rolling Thunder
Superb duet with his Bobness and Joan, even after all their trials, their voice merge as one.
Roger
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
The Scorsese documentary probably makes more sense than the 4 hours of 'Renaldo and Clara' road-movie we sat through in 1978 !

Was it the Maysles Bros or Pennebaker who filmed the UK tours (65, 66) ?

Pass me the white greasepaint: https://vimeo.com/340149754
Old 25th October 2019
I sent a note to David Hewitt who confirms what we all know: "I don't recall." At least we know it wasn't Record Plant Remote.

Maybe an early version of Guy Charbonneau's Le Mobile?

D.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
The Scorsese documentary probably makes more sense than the 4 hours of 'Renaldo and Clara' road-movie we sat through in 1978 !

Was it the Maysles Bros or Pennebaker who filmed the UK tours (65, 66) ?

Pass me the white greasepaint: https://vimeo.com/340149754
It was Pennebaker
He was using an Auricon with 1200' mags or 600' mags for verite shooting
Pretty unwieldy for hand held ,but he did it superbly.
They were single system cameras
Eventually they went double system with a Nagra
The sound on 'Don't Look back ' is exceptional for the time.
It is great film.
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Counting down the minutes until this gets moved to the Mobile/Location rigs sub-forum (...)
off topic (as well as your quote above) but you (and a few other folks) really try hard to sabotage steve's new concept!
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
off topic (as well as your quote above) but you (and a few other folks) really try hard to sabotage steve's new concept!
More a case of early flagging that it may be in the incorrect forum, that's all...if so, an easy move for the teacher to enact.

Sabotage...really ?

I've told you a 100 million times not to exaggerate
Old 26th October 2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I am putting this here so that someone will see it

Anyone out there know what truck was used to record the live concert tracks for Rolling Thunder Revue? Can't find any reference on the WWW anywhere. Seems like it would be a simple question.

D.
As in, "putting this here so that someone will see it," meaning there's no traffic in the Mobile & Location Rigs forum.

Keep it up man, just keep it up.

Quote:
Counting down the minutes until this gets moved to the Mobile/Location rigs sub-forum...
Sure folks, keep busting balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Exactly what I feel is happening, and there's all sorts of behind the scenes bullsh*t going on too.

Quote:
More a case of early flagging that it may be in the incorrect forum, that's all...if so, an easy move for the teacher to enact.

Sabotage...really ?

I've told you a 100 million times not to exaggerate
First of all, I saw this post the second it was published, and I made the decision that it should stay in the main forum. It's a discussion about which particular recording rig was used.

Since it's an easy move for "the teacher" to enact, this thread shall now be (moved to) in the "proper" forum. Thank you helping reevaluate my original assessment.

Oh, and the remote truck that done the New England dates could have been Fedco. Another excellent possibility is Brian Ahern's Enactron Truck since he did work with 'The Band' and a ton of other bands in that same genre. Aaron Baron and Larry Dahlstrom's Location Recorders Truck is another truck that could have done some of those dates and worked with similar bands and artists.
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
It was Pennebaker
He was using an Auricon with 1200' mags or 600' mags for verite shooting
Pretty unwieldy for hand held ,but he did it superbly.
They were single system cameras
Eventually they went double system with a Nagra
The sound on 'Don't Look back ' is exceptional for the time.
It is great film.
Penny used customized cut-down Auricons, a conversion done by General Camera. I doubt he tried to handhold the camera with a 1200' mag since the 1200' 2- well mag itself is nearly 3 feet long. I've never heard of 600' foot loads for 16mm cameras, just 400' and (by special order) 1200', I've also never seen a 600' cap magazine. Part of what the contribution of guys like Pennebaker and the Maysles made to cinema was figuring out the earliest crystal controls for camera motors, using the guts of Accutron watches (as well as an external Pilotone crystal for the Nagras that we called the "Hershey Bar"). This all was extremely high tech for that time period. I know this is OT for a sound forum but it seems like really any remote recording of any size these days has a video component to it. I compare what Pennebaker et al were up against to a recent show I recorded where one guy ran 4 small 4k digital cameras, 3 fixed and one handheld, by himself. The results when cut were quite good.
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear
I had never heard of 600' mags either
The Auricon Wiki entry goes into some detail
We used 1200' on Arri BLs but they were disliked for compound scratching and hairs in gate
The BL was impossible to hand hold, the SR and Aaton came later, but some tried.
BBC crystal sync began late 60s, Nagra and a strap on controller for the BL motor.
Auricons and eventually CP16 were news cameras, BL and Eclair NPR docs ,dramas and features.
Pennebaker and Maysles make great contribution to cine verite.
Old 27th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I had never heard of 600' mags either
The Auricon Wiki entry goes into some detail
We used 1200' on Arri BLs but they were disliked for compound scratching and hairs in gate
The BL was impossible to hand hold, the SR and Aaton came later, but some tried.
BBC crystal sync began late 60s, Nagra and a strap on controller for the BL motor.
Auricons and eventually CP16 were news cameras, BL and Eclair NPR docs ,dramas and features.
Pennebaker and Maysles make great contribution to cine verite.
The 600' might be a typo. I actually worked with several shooters who liked handholding 16BLs, they told me the weight helped keep them steady (and they were pretty buff dudes). I liked the BLs for how much quieter they were than the Eclair cameras and the Auricon conversions, as well as its descendants the Frezzi and CP cameras. On the West coast many doco shooters had CP16s, they were a lot cheaper and more reliable than Eclairs. 1200' loads made everyone very nervous. Besides making the camera impossibly awkward and requiring a head at least the capacity of an O'Connor 100, it put a LOT of eggs in one basket re: mag download and lab problems!!
Old 27th October 2019
Maybe Fedco. Forgot about them.
How come this info is so shrouded in mystery?

Sorry Steve to push your button. That wasn't nice and I apologize. But it is true that I almost always skip the sub forums. Just, mostly not interested, which means I am mostly not interested in contributing as much. Just a tad too much fuss to make sure everything abides by the new rules. Not that important to me so much anymore.

I know. "Don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out." So be it.

D.
Old 28th October 2019
Super Moderator

Apology accepted.

Look, you can do whatever you need (or want) to do, just don't jam me up with about it.

It's funny that you said, "...But it is true that I almost always skip the sub forums," when these new sub-forums haven't been in operation for 20 or so days, let alone a month.

No, I get it, it's the end of the world that we now have specific forum areas for "techie things," "recording rigs" and "job and equipment referrals." Too much to figure out.

And, on the OP, not sure it's about this "shroud of mystery" or just what usually happens with service or equipment providers; the folks listing the credits, the archivists don't do enough research to list every good and valuable individual or operation. There are hundreds of projects I'm not list on or they got the credits wrong or were incomplete.

IMO, there were three mobile units that fit the bill for those captures, Fedco, Enactron Truck, and Location Recorders Truck. I mean, they were the mobile units doing all the recording for that style of music in that time period.

Quote:
Maybe Fedco. Forgot about them.
How come this info is so shrouded in mystery?

Sorry Steve to push your button. That wasn't nice and I apologize. But it is true that I almost always skip the sub forums. Just, mostly not interested, which means I am mostly not interested in contributing as much. Just a tad too much fuss to make sure everything abides by the new rules. Not that important to me so much anymore.

I know. "Don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out." So be it.

D.
Old 28th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Apology accepted.

It's funny that you said, "...But it is true that I almost always skip the sub forums," when these new sub-forums haven't been in operation for 20 or so days, let alone a month.
What is true for me is that I don't read this set of forums the same way I used to and it isn't as much fun as it used to be. Too bad for me, I know, but I feel that I had something to contribute, being an old-man of audio, and I just don't feel like sorting through it the way it is now. C'est la vie.

D.
Old 28th October 2019
Super Moderator

You're not the only old-man of audio in this group.

Food for thought: What I have done to make my life easier on this website is to make my user control panel my main page. This way, I can get all the threads I'm subscribed to, plus all the forums I chose to follow. I have elected to get emails when new or subscribed threads have new posts. I also get updates via email for the new sub-forums, so I can keep tabs on them. I've been doing the "UCP as my main page" thing for at least ten years with excellent results. Adding my sub-forums to it has made the experience quite pleasant for me.

Furthermore, you can jump from one forum to any another by using the window at the bottom of each and every thread on GS. We also added "jump to" links to the new sub-forums at the top of every page.

You know something? I'm only a grumpy sound engineer when people are listening. What say you?

Quote:
What is true for me is that I don't read this set of forums the same way I used to and it isn't as much fun as it used to be. Too bad for me, I know, but I feel that I had something to contribute, being an old-man of audio, and I just don't feel like sorting through it the way it is now. C'est la vie.

D.
Old 28th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You know something? I'm only a grumpy sound engineer when people are listening. What say you?
I am mostly a grumpy soundman all the time

D.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am mostly a grumpy soundman all the time

D.
Right there with ya, D!

Now... get off my lawn.

H
Old 29th October 2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Right there with ya, D!

Now... get off my lawn.

H
...and, you're not getting your ball back!
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear

The truck was Fedco!!! I know because I was Bob's personal snd mixer on the tour. All the 24 tk tapes recorded were mixed down at the Warner Bros Scoring Stage by me ! Used in the Renaldo and Clara feature and also the Scorese film.... Best Gary Bourgeois.
Old 31st October 2019
Super Moderator

I had a sneaking suspicion it was Fedco. That's why it was the first truck I listed among the three.

Which version of the Fedco truck was it? I remember when it had four JBL 4311s across the front above the desk. Then there was this version (see attachment) which had to be years later.

Thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmix View Post
The truck was Fedco!!! I know because I was Bob's personal snd mixer on the tour. All the 24 tk tapes recorded were mixed down at the Warner Bros Scoring Stage by me ! Used in the Renaldo and Clara feature and also the Scorese film.... Best Gary Bourgeois.
Attached Thumbnails
What Truck Recorded Rolling Thunder Revue?-03-mobile-unit-interior-fedco-audio-remote-truck.jpg  
Old 31st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmix View Post
So glad to see you here Gary. I KNEW someone one GS would know. Not a lick of info about the recordings on the WWW otherwise AFAIK, which seems pretty weird. Who was the engineer in the Fedco truck? Was it you and did you turn FOH over to someone else for those recordings? The recordings are really good, and that is not even inserting the caveat that it was 1975! How much overdubbing in the studio later? Doesn't seem like much.

Well done!!

D.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear
Gary seems to be largely an unsung hero when it comes to matters Bob....although he's since moved on to much more fame and acclaim !

He's referenced in these Rolling Thunder docs:

http://www.bjorner.com/RTR%20Tour%20Guide%20A4.pdf

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-art...g-thunder-tour
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Maniac

fedco!
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Remembering stepping into one of the early Fedco trucks as a teenager bring back the memory of how excited I was standing in that truck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search