The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Great Albums Recorded In Mobile Studio
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Great Albums Recorded In Mobile Studio

"Mobile recording studios have a longer history than you might think. As early as the 1920s, record companies in both the U.K. and the U.S. were experimenting with location recording, albeit with incredibly primitive equipment. This was the pre-magnetic tape era, after all."

https://thefatangelsings.com/2018/11...mobile-studio/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Interesting read. What strikes me about the list is they are all British bands. Was mobile recording in the 60s/70s a British thing and if so, why is that?

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite live/mobile recordings is of the New Zealand band The Drongos, a minimally recorded rock and roll masterpiece on the sidewalk around Thompkins Sq. Park on NYCs lower east side. Besides capturing a fantastic performance by a band at their peak, I love the ambient sounds you can hear on the top, end and middle of songs - cars, buses, people selling drugs, people walking by captured from left to right in the stereo field - it just screams "downtown NYC, early 1980s." You pointed out John Holbrook engineered, and if I could find the LP (in my unorganized wall 'o records) I could tell who the truck was, as I seem to remember it being listed. Anyway -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3A5Twsml2I

at 1:30, you can hear the bus go by. HAHA! I love this!
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I would suspect the fact that there are so many amazing mansions, castles, cottages and such. These large dwelling homes are the perfect place to record music in.

I've recorded a fair amount of music in locations like these across America.

It's a fabulous way to create music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Interesting read. What strikes me about the list is they are all British bands. Was mobile recording in the 60s/70s a British thing and if so, why is that?

As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite live/mobile recordings is of the New Zealand band The Drongos, a minimally recorded rock and roll masterpiece on the sidewalk around Thompkins Sq. Park on NYCs lower east side. Besides capturing a fantastic performance by a band at their peak, I love the ambient sounds you can hear on the top, end and middle of songs - cars, buses, people selling drugs, people walking by captured from left to right in the stereo field - it just screams "downtown NYC, early 1980s." You pointed out John Holbrook engineered, and if I could find the LP (in my unorganized wall 'o records) I could tell who the truck was, as I seem to remember it being listed. Anyway -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3A5Twsml2I

at 1:30, you can hear the bus go by. HAHA! I love this!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

great read

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search