The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tesla electric truck to be turned into mobile music studio by Deadmau5
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Tesla Semi electric truck to be turned into mobile music studio by Deadmau5..

https://electrek.co/2019/10/11/tesla...udio-deadmau5/

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

to me, this looks more like paid post/tesla promo stunt...

(meanwhile, i'm still thinking about fitting one of my vistas into a nineteen year old peugeot 206)
Old 4 weeks ago
Good to have a remote, quiet power source. Probably the world's fastest studio...currently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Good to have a remote, quiet power source. Probably the world's fastest studio...currently.
maybe... - but with the ecological footprint of the current 'small' teslas only getting smaller than that of a conventional car after about 150'000km of use, provided that batteries always get recharged using nothing but renewable energy, the loss or battery capacity over time, security concerns (talk to fire fighters), a lack of infrastructure to support these new vehicles etc., i currently cannot see much if any benefits of monster e-trucks!

but yeah, they'd be way more quiet and hence desirable for location recording - not sure though this would really be needed for the noise deadmau5 is producing...
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

It would be awesome if they can also harness the power from all those batteries to run the majority of the audio equipment.

My seventh mobile unit design which we're about a third way done will be powered by solar panels feeding a floor of batteries with DC a buss that will have a variety of DC voltages to choose from.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The early electric power plants were DC until they determined that AC could be transmitted over longer distances without as much power loss. Could be interesting if we see a general return to localized DC power as solar panels and power storage become more efficient and cost effective. Even Tesla thought he could generate electric power from the sun on a local basis, but his investors wouldn't fund research that would lead to a power source they couldn't charge for.

I'm using 100w mobile solar panels in various locations to keep equipment batteries charged up.
Old 3 weeks ago
I've been looking into field-batteries for a mobile studio rig based around iZ RADAR Studio; I'm keen on recording small groups/solo artists in natural woodland and beach caves. It's an exciting prospect to run a small studio independent of the power grid.

I think the start of any new power system will not be as efficient as it will eventually become; for example, Tesla's relative inefficiency is a pathway to future benefits.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I've been looking into field-batteries for a mobile studio rig based around iZ RADAR Studio; I'm keen on recording small groups/solo artists in natural woodland and beach caves. It's an exciting prospect to run a small studio independent of the power grid.

I think the start of any new power system will not be as efficient as it will eventually become; for example, Tesla's relative inefficiency is a pathway to future benefits.
not sure whether running entire trucks on batteries is the way to go, both economically and ecologically, but i'm convinced we'll get to see more feasible solutions to run at least our location audio (and video) gear in smart ways!

too bad that for too many (rather obvious) reasons, it won't be possible to use nuclear waste to power our gear: since i'm a bit into this technology/topic, i've been dreaming of nuclear driven pa's in the giga-watt range...

(...yet i so far only got to mix/record a show in a cooling tower of a nuclear power station during regular shut down for annual inspection; kinda paradoxical i had to drive all gear off a large diesel-powered generator?!)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

steve was discussing doing this dc batterywith multiple dc voltage buss outputs for the equipment inside his new mobile unit which is still in progress
Old 9 hours ago
Super Moderator

I'd love to get that project back on track.

Who knows, perhaps second or third quarter 2020 will be the moment it will be in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
steve was discussing doing this dc batterywith multiple dc voltage buss outputs for the equipment inside his new mobile unit which is still in progress

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search