The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording truck
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post
... it's funny how many people making records can't conceive of mixing without some sort of automation and/or recall..... yet proclaim the best sounding music was from the pre automation era.
A lot of that stuff was mixed using 5 pairs of hands in 10-second increments.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

a remote truck with an analog desk these days?!
sell the ssl to a studio, buy a bunch of remotely controllable mic pres that connect to the truck via aoip and/or madi on fiber cables, but use a digital desk! can highly recommend the studer vista series...
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A lot of that stuff was mixed using 5 pairs of hands in 10-second increments.
There is that, a precursor to automation.

I'm a fan of the stuff that was mixed at the tracking stage too though.

Extra complexity does not always yield a better result.

One of the few things i don't like in music production is when the soul gets engineered out. That could be auto tune, lining up a perfectly good drum take (analogue with a razor or digitally) or excessive taming of dynamics.

From an engineering perspective I get excited by technical challenges but if youre not careful it can kill the thing that you're trying to capture.
Old 22nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
a remote truck with an analog desk these days?!.
I still have analog desks in my trucks with piles of outboard mic preamps, EQ, dynamics.

My large truck has a 50 channel Neotek Elite with over 400,000 miles on it. Genelec 1032, 12 channels Hardy M-1, Pultec EQP1A, 8 dbx 160VU, 6 UREI LA-4, two 1176, Avalon 2022, Eysia Expressor, 5 Daking mic-pre/EQ, Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, two Manley Enhanced Pultec, Focusrite Red 3, two Vintech X-73, and piles of other cool gear.

I still think it's the best way to cut slamming tracks and mixes for live broadcast.

I do have racks of mic preamps in flight cases with digital consoles, but the Neotek has booty that the digital desks just don't have.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I still have analog desks in my trucks with piles of outboard mic preamps, EQ, dynamics.

My large truck has a 50 channel Neotek Elite with over 400,000 miles on it. Genelec 1032, 12 channels Hardy M-1, Pultec EQP1A, 8 dbx 160VU, 6 UREI LA-4, two 1176, Avalon 2022, Eysia Expressor, 5 Daking mic-pre/EQ, Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, two Manley Enhanced Pultec, Focusrite Red 3, two Vintech X-73, and piles of other cool gear.

I still think it's the best way to cut slamming tracks and mixes for live broadcast.

I do have racks of mic preamps in flight cases with digital consoles, but the Neotek has booty that the digital desks just don't have.
nice gear - keep rocking!

i do use a bunch of (mostly) digital outboard and some mic pres for additional fun too but i wouldn't wanna trade in any analog desk for my digital desk, also due to the fact that i simply couldn't do with the limited amount of auxes of (most) analog desks: next show coming up (i'll be doing monitors and the broadcast mix?!) requires 18 mono auxes for wedges, at least 3 stereo auxes for inears plus conductor, some for efx send...
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post

a 50 channel Neotek Elite with over 400,000 miles on it.
A unique selling point surely!
Old 22nd April 2019
I’m sailing on the Analog Seas and I’ll go down with the ship...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search