The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Remote recording studio setup ideas
Old 7th April 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 

Remote recording studio setup ideas

Hi all
May I have some advice/comments/suggestions on the following?:
I have the chance to travel away from my PT HD studio out on the road to various isolated country areas. I'm considering desks or rack mount pres like Midas M32 Behr X32 or Mackie DL32 or ? I want up to 32 channels of good quality preamps and the ability to record those direct into PT via USB/Dante? (assuming onto a lap top or Mac mini say)( I am an apple user). I want the option to put bands on headphones (I use a Behr Ultranet setup in my purpose-built studio and am happy with it).
Only the Behr and the Midas appear to have Ultranet for connection to the P16 monitoring system.

What options may be available to me? I don't need to have faders (laptop or iPad would be ok) but I do want remote pre-amp control, 32 channels of recording into ProTools and a personalised monitor set up. I do want to minimise the budget, but do not want an unreliable or poor quality setup.

Thanks

Pete G
Old 7th April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
The big decision is quality level of preamps. If you go the Behringer 32 channel, also look at the UAD Live MADI effects.

You also may want to consider an RME card of somekind for stable drivers and low lag.

If you want to handle monitoring, that can't happen post computer live unless you have a super low lag system.

Get a system put together for you from say Scan UK or Sweetwater or PC audio labs.

MADI is lowest lag
Daunte is good at multiple destinations and sources with cheaper cables.
Old 7th April 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
Hi all
May I have some advice/comments/suggestions on the following?:
I have the chance to travel away from my PT HD studio out on the road to various isolated country areas. I'm considering desks or rack mount pres like Midas M32 Behr X32 or Mackie DL32 or ? I want up to 32 channels of good quality preamps and the ability to record those direct into PT via USB/Dante? (assuming onto a lap top or Mac mini say)( I am an apple user). I want the option to put bands on headphones (I use a Behr Ultranet setup in my purpose-built studio and am happy with it).
Only the Behr and the Midas appear to have Ultranet for connection to the P16 monitoring system.

What options may be available to me? I don't need to have faders (laptop or iPad would be ok) but I do want remote pre-amp control, 32 channels of recording into ProTools and a personalised monitor set up. I do want to minimise the budget, but do not want an unreliable or poor quality setup.

Thanks

Pete G
Only for recording or do you need a FOH mix as well?

If you want sone good quality preamps while keeping a "relatively" low budget while having a very stable system..

Check these out:

If you need recording only I believe your best bet now will be the MH ULN-8 with 3d cards.. You can link them together with a simple cat5 cable, and going into your mac with another cat5 cable..
Really good stuff.. Although a 32 channel system will not be as cheap as the midas m32 one.

If you need also a FOH/live setup look into the A&H dLive C class racks.. Could be used with a tablet/computer only, if you don't need faders/hw controls (A&H ME monitoring system) plus have already XLR I/O which will make the whole thing cheaper. (compared to the MH that was meant more for the studio and has most connections on db25).

Use a Dante card and you're good to go.

Great preamps/conversion, very nice plugs eq's/comp/fx's (if needed) and also have the app for individual mixes if you need them..
or the hw boxes for individual mixes if you choose to go that way.

It will be less expensive than the MH stuff.. It is meant for a different purpose of course, but if you can't record great live stuff with it it's not the fault of the system

I did top live recordings with it. Great sounding, very easy to use and reliable, incredibly flexible from a routing/option point of view, and afterall not really expensive.

The m32 is not bad for the price, but it's not at the same level imho, plus I don't like the company ethics.

There are also other options from DAD (ax32) and Merging...
Studer as well (which nowadays is harman/samsung) but all these will be much more expensive for a 32ch setup.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 7th April 2019
  #4
I use a 16 channel Soundcraft Delta 200 console and a Alesis HD24XR recorder. I've not found a need for more than 24 channels recording location musical acts.

The console provides 16 good preamps and monitors all 24 tracks in a small package. I add an 8 channel mic pre to feed the remain 8 inputs. The rest is mics, stands, cables and a set of good cans. Give me two bar stools and I'm set to go. It's all very portable and offers great results. No PC issues either.

The console can also provide a PA and a video feed as well. The HD24XR is wired through the inserts so all the post aux sends and master mix faders are available for other duties.
Old 8th April 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

potential setup depends much on what you need to do and how much you can afford: on larger productions (100+ channel) with lots of rf traffic, i couldn't do without a sophisticated broadcast console but on smaller scale productions, pretty much any analog or digital desk with clean preamps should do - i'm not much of a fan of the m/x32 though for too many reasons to mention here...
Old 8th April 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

Thanks Cheu, helpful

Only for recording or do you need a FOH mix as well?

Recording


If you need recording only I believe your best bet now will be the MH ULN-8 with 3d cards.. You can link them together with a simple cat5 cable, and going into your mac with another cat5 cable..
Really good stuff.. Although a 32 channel system will not be as cheap as the midas m32 one.


Yes I have a 2882 (now)3d and have often added (hire or borrow) a ULN 8 and LIO to get track count up. A very elegant system but as you say, a little pricy. When I realised there were things like M32 or the A&H stuff you mention, it starts to look more attractive to go down that route (the chance to use it for FOH, a bit more versatile without the cost of db25s

How do you think the A&H Me monitoring system is in comparison to the alternatives? Ultranet etc?

Thanks

PG
Old 8th April 2019
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I use a 16 channel Soundcraft Delta 200 console and a Alesis HD24XR recorder. I've not found a need for more than 24 channels recording location musical acts.

The console provides 16 good preamps and monitors all 24 tracks in a small package. I add an 8 channel mic pre to feed the remain 8 inputs. The rest is mics, stands, cables and a set of good cans. Give me two bar stools and I'm set to go. It's all very portable and offers great results. No PC issues either.

The console can also provide a PA and a video feed as well. The HD24XR is wired through the inserts so all the post aux sends and master mix faders are available for other duties.
Thanks Jim. Nice comments. I'll probably need to test some of the pres out in what you and others have mentioned. I'm used to 'high end' individual pres in the studio and am wary of quality. For instance, I do find the MH pres superb.

pg
Old 8th April 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
potential setup depends much on what you need to do and how much you can afford: on larger productions (100+ channel) with lots of rf traffic, i couldn't do without a sophisticated broadcast console but on smaller scale productions, pretty much any analog or digital desk with clean preamps should do - i'm not much of a fan of the m/x32 though for too many reasons to mention here...
Thanks deedeedyeah, I've had my problems with Behr too, but I believe, for instance, the Midas DL151rack (and series) have pro level pres and may be a good remote stage box option. I'm not sure "clean" preamps are necessarily what I'm after.
Old 8th April 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
Thanks deedeedyeah, I've had my problems with Behr too, but I believe, for instance, the Midas DL151rack (and series) have pro level pres and may be a good remote stage box option. I'm not sure "clean" preamps are necessarily what I'm after.
ymmv but imo 'clean pres' are ALWAYS needed, regardless of situation or genre - as well as expanders (not gates) !

i'm using a studer vista and record onto a sound devices hd recorder and to a pc via a rme interface; everything running on madi.



p.s. no more-me apps, 32mono and 16stereo auxes on the desk cover pretty much any need :-) and i would not want to rely on wifi in crowded places...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 10th April 2019 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10th April 2019
  #10
Gear Head
 

Old 10th April 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post

How do you think the A&H Me monitoring system is in comparison to the alternatives? Ultranet etc?

Thanks

PG
I actually never compared the two side by side..
the A&H is a nice one though and worked well when I tested it, although, when working with the dLive I mostly used monitors or wireless in ears..

the musicians were very happy and could notice an improvement when I switched to the dLive system.

try to find a dealer and get a quote, the dLive stuff sounds really good, high headroom and the plugs are good.. imho is unbeatable given is price/performance ratio and I bet that in the next few years it might become a new "standard".. (at least in the live department).

(the talent) your mics and the room acoustics will play a bigger role for achieving a high quality recording after getting this system. What I mean is thatthe differences between this and other (better sounding?) Systems will be rather small.

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump