The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are you using for laptop recording?
Old 22nd April 2020 | Show parent
  #121
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe I'm just DAW centric but I find Reaper a much more intuitive platform for a backup capture. I didn't like the UI of Boom Reorder at all, but that's just me.

And we all love what we use. But I have gotta say, Reaper has been bomb-proof (knock wood).
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #122
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I did discover that Reaper does not give any warning if it runs out of disk space during a recording. It just keeps going like nothing is wrong, until you stop and try to save.

Otherwise, it's also been bomb-proof for me (I probably helped push Tourtelot to it).
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #123
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
I did discover that Reaper does not give any warning if it runs out of disk space during a recording. It just keeps going like nothing is wrong, until you stop and try to save.
Ooooh. That's no good! Did you make a "feature request" to the boys at Cockos?

D.
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #124
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
No requests, and I did not try to quantify all the conditions and retest. Can't remember if it was v4 or 5, but it was on my work-issued 2013 MacbookPro recording something like 10 tracks from the X-USB of a Behringer X32, something that I'd used many times before.

Doing multitracks at 24/96 really eats up the disk space. I had a 350GB HDD and hadn't checked for free space for a while. I was listening to a live stereo mixdown through Reaper. When I stopped recording, it just churned and said an error occurred. Most of the tracks recorded nearly up to the point where space ran out; then they stopped at slightly different points.

OTOH, a warning wouldn't have been very useful, but it wasn't graceful to recover what I did.
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #125
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'm perhaps naively assuming it wouldn't be hard for the Reaper team to come up with a simple free space (or recording duration remaining) countdown gauge ....based on the obvious parameters of how many tracks @ what sample/bit rate @ what drive/partition size ?
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #126
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
I did discover that Reaper does not give any warning if it runs out of disk space during a recording. It just keeps going like nothing is wrong, until you stop and try to save.

Otherwise, it's also been bomb-proof for me (I probably helped push Tourtelot to it).
Buttttt, an engineer friend ran out of diskspace (without noticing), after pushing stop reaper had seemingly crashed.
But after a long while, reaper gave him a pop up asking where to store the files.

True story. Or well, it's true that he told me this. I wasn't there to witness it.

Huub
Old 23rd April 2020 | Show parent
  #127
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I don't blame Reaper for my own stupidity, but it was frightening to just have it churn away and just give a generic error message. I had no idea what had happened, except that it had failed for the first time and might have nothing. Later, I figured out I had run out of disk space.

Looking at the files now, it was 11 tracks of 2448. I recovered by looking in the destination folder, and found that each track's WAV recorded and saved nearly to the end of disk space, but the file timestamps were the full gig. For the last few seconds, some tracks went a little bit longer, and some had digital noise for the last few fractions of a second. Considering it did record almost fine until space ran out, I can't complain, except for the lack of clarity about what happened. Maybe there is a better recovery in Reaper v6.

Typically I make a quick stereo mix with Reaper while recording the tracks, and can record/monitor the mix from the MBP optical digital output, converted to AES digital. This gig I decided not to record a 2mix since Reaper was so reliable....

Yes, I used to sometimes run out of tape, too, but at least with reels you can see how much tape is left, plus you know right away when the tape is out!
Old 24th April 2020 | Show parent
  #128
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
Yes, I used to sometimes run out of tape, too, but at least with reels you can see how much tape is left, plus you know right away when the tape is out!
Sound reloads!!

D.
Old 6th June 2020 | Show parent
  #129
Here for the gear
 
Seeking a new laptop to run Ableton, for live performance and recording. It would also be nice to be able to stream through OBS. Currently running a 2015 MacbookPro 2.2GHz i7, 16gb RAM. Seems to work alright with Ableton but I'm continually jumping above 100% CPU. When I run OBS and Ableton at the same time, in order to stream, it definitely causes crackling/popping noises.

I've been considering a PC with 32gb RAM, maybe i9 or Ryzen7 or 9. I've heard that AMD GPU cards work better for recording than Nvidia. Any truth to that? Am I foolish for thinking of going to PC? Thanks for any insight.
Old 7th June 2020 | Show parent
  #130
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
My experience is that OBS is not fully optimized on OSX. Win10 works more reliable.
Use Nvidia Nvenc/Nvdec to further reduce CPU utilization.
OBS can easily run on an 8 year old PC with several NDI sources if you limit resolution to 1080p.
Ableton can probably utilize anywhere from 0-100% CPU depending on project complexity.
Old 28th June 2020
  #131
Here for the gear
 
actually using my Samsung Notebook 9 purchased from amazon last month working absoutely fine for me.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
  #132
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
I did discover that Reaper does not give any warning if it runs out of disk space during a recording. It just keeps going like nothing is wrong, until you stop and try to save.

Otherwise, it's also been bomb-proof for me (I probably helped push Tourtelot to it).
Never had it happen, nor thought about it. Do other DAWs pop up a warning -or even know how much disk space there is?
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
  #133
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne ➑️
Never had it happen, nor thought about it. Do other DAWs pop up a warning -or even know how much disk space there is?
In Reaper, you can choose to see the remaining diskspace of both main and redundant path in GB and hours and minutes.
Very cool, and I don't think other DAWS have that option.

Huub
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
  #134
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne ➑️
Never had it happen, nor thought about it. Do other DAWs pop up a warning -or even know how much disk space there is?
In my configuration of Reaper, which is absolutely standard, it shows remaining disk space (as well as sample rate, audio device, buffer size, latency)...immediately to the right of "Help" on the top menu bar.

It should be a case of right clicking on the menu bar, and checking the 'show free disk space' option...and I can verify that, when recording, that number does indeed count down, as disk space is consumed. I'm running it on OSX 10.10.5....can't imagine that it wouldn't work with Windows also ?
Old 28th June 2020
  #135
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Looking at my current setup of OSX Mojave and Reaper 5.983, I find the options for:

-check free disk space on record start, warn if less than XXXXMB

-Show free disk space in menu bar

-Show primary recording path in menu bar

and others in Preferences/Audio/Recording. (right-click on the menu bar does nothing here)

I don't know if these were available when I had my problem (different system, last year), or what they might of been set to, or if they just couldn't be displayed due to the small laptop screen. And you would have to be watching it, apparently no other warning box will come up when you are getting low on space during the recording. I noted that recovery after the fact of running out was unclear and awkward. The Reaper session file would not open, IIRC I had to create a new project and import all of the wavs again, which were now different lengths and damaged for the last few seconds before running out of space. I don't know if this has been changed.
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
  #136
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
If you are recording live shows, you can quite easily plan ahead to have sufficient disc space available. Sound Devices has a handy calculator on their website to predict this. You simply specify the number of tracks you'll be recording, their sample rate and bit depth.

You can then nominate either your expected concert duration or your currently available disc drive space....and the Sound Devices table will give you the 'unknown' figure. With a bit of estimation (eg perhaps the concert runs longer than expected, or you add more mics, or you're suddenly asked to record the opening support band as well ?) you can add in extra safety reserve space to cover such unexpected extra drive space.

Now you simply ensure you have sufficient space available....and you won't have any surprises such as running short of disc space. Don't forget that Reaper also allows you to record to 2 drives simultaneously, so you can connect an additional external drive (eg USB thumb drive)....just make sure you test this additional drive for sufficient transfer rate ability ( ie recording speed) at home to ensure your 'safety' can cope.

If you do this homework beforehand, there really should be no unpleasant surprises re running out of disc space....but add a safety amount to account for the unexpected sound check recording, where the band plays that rare warmup cover song, for example !

https://www.sounddevices.com/audio-r...-calculations/....background info
https://www.sounddevices.com/audio-r...ng-calculator/....calculator

No more mystery....just plug in your numbers !

By way of quick example, using this above calculator, I can tell you confidently that if you're recording 12 tracks @ 48k/24 bit and you have 25 GB of spare drive space, this will give you 4 hours 12 mins and 50 secs of recording time. Accurate enough for you.....sufficient for your next concert ?

If you're recording to a laptop, you'd simply add a 32GB SD card and record to that in addition to your main recording drive at the same time...just for safety, and because Reaper makes it so easy for you to do so !

Last edited by studer58; 30th June 2020 at 02:10 AM..
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
  #137
Lives for gear
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Call me a Luddite clumsily laboring in the dismal swamps of my quarantine-befuddled imagination, but would it not be rather straightforward to simply:

1. Record to an external drive whose capacity is large enough to make this concern a non-issue for all practical purposes.

2. Regularly transfer material to a backup system of choice, clearing space on this external drive in the process.

???
Old 30th June 2020
  #138
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Lolz!! Naturally it's best to check for adequate disk space before recording, always having big drives, backing everything up, etc. and I was a complete fool for not doing it that time.

But s**t happens. You forget to check space, you check but the gig runs way overtime, you're out in the sticks with your laptop and no spare drives, you have to record unattended, whatever. That's not the software's fault.

What they could do better IMO is handling recovery. Since there is no warning about running out, after I blithely stopped Reaper after the show, all it did in my case was churn away for several minutes and throw up a message that there was an error, cannot open session or some such. I'd never seen this before, and thought I had lost everything for no known reason. Only after I later saw the WAVs and lack of disk space, and created a new project and imported the WAVS could I see that each track stopped at about the same time, about 45 minutes before I stopped recording. I have to thank them for continuously recording up until it runs out, but wonder why it was impotent to open its own session.
Old 1st July 2020 | Show parent
  #139
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
Lolz!! Naturally it's best to check for adequate disk space before recording, always having big drives, backing everything up, etc. and I was a complete fool for not doing it that time.

But s**t happens. You forget to check space, you check but the gig runs way overtime, you're out in the sticks with your laptop and no spare drives, you have to record unattended, whatever. That's not the software's fault.
I think that what Luke and I are suggesting is that the necessary planning ahead isn't that tough...the Sound Devices calculator even extends forwards into DAYS, not just hours and mins of recording time, surely you have some idea of likely concert duration length, or is it genuinely of Woodstock dimensions ?

Another measure I'd recommend, especially if your computer is likely to require unattended recording operation, is to program Reaper to save files at regular (short) intervals. This means that it's going to be writing file headers etc more frequently (say every 5 or 10 mins) and thus saving the computer from churning away when you press Stop during a set break or band-changeover. It just shortens that vulnerable "file saving" time when you hit stop, before starting a new file.

Are you getting the message, through the ability provided to you by Reaper/Sound Devices to: calculate required disc space, record to multiple drives simultaneously, save automatically and often behind the scenes, or just plug in an obviously oversized drive and go....that Reaper REALLY doesn't want your recording to fail for you ?

Your lack of planning-ahead however, and failure to use the tools and info available to you, suggests that you like living on that kinda edge....and then to blame the machinery, rather than 'operator error' ? The ball's in your court ..planning ahead to 'not fail' means you never even need to open that door labelled 'Recovery' !

Last edited by studer58; 4th July 2020 at 10:04 AM..
Old 1st July 2020 | Show parent
  #140
Gear Guru
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➑️
In Reaper, you can choose to see the remaining diskspace of both main and redundant path in GB and hours and minutes.
Very cool, and I don't think other DAWS have that option.

Huub
(maybe not impmemented the same way but...)

...nuendo has a similar feature when arming tracks/recording, showing remaining disk space on the drive you're recording to.
Old 4th July 2020 | Show parent
  #141
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
I think that what Luke and I are suggesting is that the necessary planning ahead isn't that tough...the Sound Devices calculator even extends forwards into DAYS, not just hours and mins of recording time, surely you have some idea of likely concert duration length, or is it genuinely of Woodstock dimensions ?

Another measure I'd recommend, especially if your computer is likely to require unattended recording operation, is to program Reaper to save files at regular (short) intervals. This means that it's going to be writing file headers etc more frequently (say every 5 or 10 mins) and thus saving the computer from churning away when you press Stop during a set break or band-changeover. It just shortens that vulnerable "file saving" time when you hit stop, before starting a new file.

Are you getting the message, through the ability provided to you by Reaper/Sound Devices to: calculate required disc space, record to multiple drives simultaneously, save automatically and often behind the scenes, or just plug in an obviously oversized drive and go....that Reaper REALLY doesn't want your recording to fail for you ?

Your lack of planning-ahead however, and failure to use the tools and info available to you, suggests that you like living on that kinda edge....and then to blame the machinery, rather than 'operator error' ? Ball's in your court Gluey...planning ahead to 'not fail' means you never even need to open that door labelled 'Recovery' !
No argument here, I fully agree it's best practice to take such precautions. I've stated this mistake was completely my fault. I have made mistakes before, and will make them again.

The name-calling, however, not very professional or helpful in civil discourse, IMO.
Old 4th July 2020 | Show parent
  #142
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie ➑️
No argument here, I fully agree it's best practice to take such precautions. I've stated this mistake was completely my fault. I have made mistakes before, and will make them again.

The name-calling, however, not very professional or helpful in civil discourse, IMO.
Yes you're quite correct, it was an unnecessary cheap shot and not helpful..I apologize for that.

Here's the Reaper guide to setting up for recording onto multiple drives..it's literally just adding the drive details to a few drop-down menus:

https://www.reaper.fm/guides/reaper_recpath_guide.pdf
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
  #143
Here for the gear
 
cabbagerock's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
+1 for Boom Recorder.

I've been using it for 10+ years with firewire/ USB/ MADI interfaces and now Dante DVS and it has never hiccuped once. Very simple and smart routing to multiple folders and volumes, and the best metadata options I've seen for file names. It is Mac only.
Old 28th August 2020
  #144
Gear Guru
I never thought that Alesis HD24XR would still be in place some 18+ years later. I've never owned/used a recorder that long before. Due to software updates I can inject any outboard converters I choose, bit accurate.
Old 1 week ago
  #145
Gear Maniac
 
Hey,

after reading this thread I gave Reaper a spin for some test recordings - 54 Tracks of 96-24 at 64 samples buffer coming off my UFX+ into my humble Dell XPS15 9550. No hickups. Pretty impressive, I could never do this with Samplitud on my system. Nice bonus: Reaper can store as Samplitude edit list. So I guess that's my new setup - recording in Reaper and mixing / editing in Sam.

Thanks for the hint.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #146
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe ➑️
Hey,

after reading this thread I gave Reaper a spin for some test recordings - 54 Tracks of 96-24 at 64 samples buffer coming off my UFX+ into my humble Dell XPS15 9550. No hickups. Pretty impressive, I could never do this with Samplitud on my system. Nice bonus: Reaper can store as Samplitude edit list. So I guess that's my new setup - recording in Reaper and mixing / editing in Sam.

Thanks for the hint.
That's quite an achievement using a relatively 'mainstream' rather than cutting edge laptop. I was a little wary of it after reading this review:https://www.ultrabookreview.com/1023...5-9550-review/

In particular "Update 2: The new BIOS update (1.2.0) has introduced bugs with TB3 docks with USB/Ethernet ports on them, causing them to disconnect during use and after waking from sleep" ?

Are you connecting it to the UFX+ via USB 3 or the Thunderbolt port ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #147
Lives for gear
 
king2070lplaya's Avatar
Can you explain the steps involved to import a project from Reaper to Samplitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe ➑️
Hey,

after reading this thread I gave Reaper a spin for some test recordings - 54 Tracks of 96-24 at 64 samples buffer coming off my UFX+ into my humble Dell XPS15 9550. No hickups. Pretty impressive, I could never do this with Samplitud on my system. Nice bonus: Reaper can store as Samplitude edit list. So I guess that's my new setup - recording in Reaper and mixing / editing in Sam.

Thanks for the hint.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #148
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
That's quite an achievement using a relatively 'mainstream' rather than cutting edge laptop...

Are you connecting it to the UFX+ via USB 3 or the Thunderbolt port ?
It was a USB 3 connection. I've used mainly TB for my latency sensitive work, but in the end there isn't too much difference. The laptops performance running a complex live drum FX setup in Ableton has been so and so, also I had some recording glitches at far smaller projects (like 16 tracks 24-48) in Sam Pro X5. So I have to investigate this Reaper thing a bit more, but as far as I can tell by now the recording was flawless.

BTW, is there any good tool for auto-checking tracks for dropouts and glitches?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #149
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➑️
Can you explain the steps involved to import a project from Reaper to Samplitude?
Reaper: save as, then select Samplitude edit list as format.

Samplitude: Open -> edit list

Just make sure your soundcard is running at the same SR as the recording, otherwise the length of the objects will be messed up (i.e. opening 96kHz recording in 48kHz).
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #150
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe ➑️
BTW, is there any good tool for auto-checking tracks for dropouts and glitches?
If there is such a tool, apart from ears, it would be great to share it here...from someone who knows ?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 295 views: 66353
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 15929 views: 1508680
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 167991
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump