The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Commercial Studio + Laptop?
Old 23rd February 2017
Commercial Studio + Laptop?

Hi,

Not entirely sure if this goes here so forgive me if this has been asked ad nauseum or if this is not really the right section. I'm in the process of planning my next purchase for a new studio interface (my old FF800 finally died on me) and I'd like to still go RME if possible. While I was set on a rack mounted unit (like maybe the UFX+ or UFX II) at first, thing is, I may have a session that I want to utilize another room for aka another studio. So I might want to go portable since I don't do large multi track recording at my spot anyway.

Traditionally, I've done all my productions at my spot but I'm starting to want to branch out to other spaces, specifically to use another room for mixing and referencing. I'd rather not stem my sessions, but would like to mix at the facility with my laptop and somehow using the studio monitors and space.

I'm not exactly sure the best way to do this aka stereo in to two channels on the mixer, some kind of MADI connect or what not. Also not sure the best interface to use for this either or if I could get away with what I already have at the moment (unfortunately I'm stuck with an MBOX 2 until I find a reasonable replacement)

Much of this is hypothetical as I do not yet own my new interface yet but I would like to know my options for interfaces and dialing into the studio while being able to use my rig (and DAW) as a system instead of the studio's. This way I can just pull up my session and make direct adjustments and only use the actual studio system if I need to track.

Advice needed. Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2017
Ok how about this then,

I've never used it but I've seen 1/4 or XLR to TT cables. Would it be best to key in my interface that way into the hosted studio or another way? Similarly I'm not fully aware of all the possible drawbacks sorry besides maybe some discrepancies with my DA converters?

On a side note, I do feel that the question is reaching outside the scope of this sub though.

Again I apologize.

BTW:
In regards to the interface, I did see that I could use a hard shell transport case for a 19" rack piece if so desired for transport. So that might be a good solution if I still want to keep the same feature sets that I had with my FF800 with the new replacement. Just have to keep it outside my studio rack is all.
Old 23rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

What's your budget? UFX+ is incredibly flexible and fits in almost every configuration, besides IP-based setups.
Old 23rd February 2017
Well originally since I was going for the FF802, that would put me in around the $1.6k area. Still on the fence about committing to a USB3/Thunderbolt device with the "new technology tax" vs legacy USB2/Firewire. If I can still play my hundred or so tracks or/plus vst orchestra instruments on either with no problem, then the multi track count for either is pretty negligible. Even better if I can push the envelope with 192kHz as well instead of the usual 44kHz that I record at.

That said, if I do end up going with the UFX+, would I sonically need to keep in mind any discrepancies between the different systems when running my interface into their console besides maybe input level; like any kind of coloration that might work against me in the mix due to the board or "some kind of specific tuning"?
Old 23rd February 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but have you talked to the studio in question? You might find it a good value to buy an hour of the engineer's advice.
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear

It shouldn't be hard to bring your own laptop and interface and just plug into their monitoring system. Unless they have a bunch of outboard gear that you want to use also. But that's a whole other issue.

When I have gone to other studios to work, I take my laptop and hard drives, and my rack mounted audio interface. I have a couple of 1/4" to XLR cables and a couple of adapters to plug into their monitoring system. I agree with Tim, talk with the studio and see what would be the easiest set up to come in with.
📝 Reply