The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about designing a mobile recording unit --Expanded...
Old 25th January 2004
Here for the gear

remote recording trucks

The floating floor in my mind is very important, all of the walls and ceiling must sit on the floating floor to be a true traditional recording studio. But people are cheaping out and and not considering quality. I am finding more people are setting up a live recording in a room in the back of the club or theatre thinking they can do a better job than a real remote truck.

I am not qualified to give advise on floating floors for remote trucks but I am looking for advise to build my remote truck this year.

I own a 2001 Ford E350 One ton, the box is 15.5 feet long, 7.5 feet wide and 6.75 feet high.

Right now I use the truck for Sound & lighting rentals.
I just sold my old recording truck it was a 1972 Dodge Tradesman with air shocks. This truck had no room to move. But it has been recording live shows for the last 20 years between two recording studios.

It good to get feedback from a pro.
Thanks BH
Old 25th January 2004
Super Moderator

Bruce,

I hear you loud and clear.

You have some interesting and important stuff we should discuss...

Dr. Cuso started a thread called, "Remote Truck Acoustic Treatment Advice". We should continue this discussion there.

Check it out and I'll meet you there...
Old 26th January 2004
Here for the gear

Steve,
I am considering laying down 8' x 4' sheets of neoprene rubber mats on the entire floor. They are 1" thick, very dense and heavy, then lay down Laminate flooring that interlock to each other. Also I would like to spray the underside of the box with this automobile rubber stuff ( not sure what it is) What do you think? Would that possibly give me the floating floor concept or would it just give me more isolation?

Considering the height restrictions I have.
Old 28th January 2004
Super Moderator

Bruce,

Originally, I thought it would be a great idea to continue this discussion at Dr. Cuso's thread called, "Remote Truck Acoustic Treatment"

As I said before, You have some interesting and important stuff we should discuss... So, I also split your questions into it's own thread...

Now, let's continue the discussion.

A floating floor is a key component in a remote truck. Did you weight the material you want to use? Calculations are necessary. You should see if your one ton truck can handle the load before you build your control room. The isolation transformer, recording equipment, cables, snakes, stands, etc. will be a pretty heavy load on it's own. What about the acoustic treatment? Do a test run first! Grab that 8' x 4' sheet of neoprene rubber and the Laminate flooring you're going to use and see how it handles the load. How much will the 1" rubber compress when you place your heavy apparatus on it. Does it shift around too much or is it just right? You'll never know until you try it out.

We used spray rubberized undercoating on the walls of the truck body. All aluminum sheets and ribs were coated. We did not spray any on the wood floor of the truck body! Shelton, one of our new GS members had a great suggestion -- Using spray bed liner material as opposed to the undercoating. You know, the stuff you use on a pickup truck bed. It helps prevent rust, kills the rumbling noise of the truck and preserves the strength of the metal. I haven't played with that stuff yet, but I believe it's a lot more dense then the undercoating. Both should work well. The bed liner stuff's a lot more expensive. Nothing wrong with spending the extra money if it's in the budget.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search