The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Producing in a van. Possible?
Old 11th March 2016
Here for the gear

Producing in a van. Possible?

So I'm doing an adventure van build that is going to function as a full-time living space. I produce with minimal gear already: Laptop, mpd36, OP-1, and currently headphones.

I hate producing in headphones. With a passion. Ruins the experience.

The vehicle is most likely going to be either an e350 startrans size (Church bus), or just the extended e350 (15 passenger van).

What do you guys think of using studio monitors in a setting like this? Obviously it isn't ideal in terms of "true" sound, but i want to make it work.

I've got an old pair of KRK Rokit 5's which seem like a good enough size, though the smaller the better.

What advice can you guys offer me for this setup?
Old 11th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwase View Post
So I'm doing an adventure van build that is going to function as a full-time living space. I produce with minimal gear already: Laptop, mpd36, OP-1, and currently headphones.

I hate producing in headphones. With a passion. Ruins the experience.

The vehicle is most likely going to be either an e350 startrans size (Church bus), or just the extended e350 (15 passenger van).

What do you guys think of using studio monitors in a setting like this? Obviously it isn't ideal in terms of "true" sound, but i want to make it work.

I've got an old pair of KRK Rokit 5's which seem like a good enough size, though the smaller the better.

What advice can you guys offer me for this setup?
You can produce in a van--broadcasters do it every day. If you want to see the ultimate in wet-dream small truck etc studio designs, go to Steve Remote's Aurasonic site--he shows you step by step how he built out his vehicles. Meanwhile, for lesser mortals, you make the interior as dead as you can, and work as near-field to your speakers as you can and try to avoid making irrevocable decisions (ie use multitrack). Headphones will still be needed since even a great remote truck is still subject to environmental noise to some degree some of the time. I hate the KRKs, but that's a personal choice.
Old 12th March 2016
Lives for gear
Get used to cans
They are essential
My friend used to record radio shows in a compact van, they tried to reduce rigging time on panel shows etc by going wireless with DPA head booms and IEM foldback to multitrack and post mixing
This took longer time than' flying by the seat of pants' technique
I t was however instructive but not cost effective and some hated the boom sounds, clean but unatural.
Old 12th March 2016
I use to record the Cleveland Opera in a remote van provide by a local college. Good sound, great setup and what I heard in the van was what I heard when I got home.Go for it! ^^^^^the other suggestions are all good ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search