The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One For Steve Remote
Old 1st September 2015
  #1
Gear Head
 

One For Steve Remote

Hey Steve,

Did'nt you mention a new project with the Ford Transit Connect or was I having a senior moment!
Old 8th September 2015
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Yes, I wanted to take a new approach and direction in the art of mobile capturing, so I purchased the tallest, longest version of a 2015 Ford Transit. That being said, it is not a Transit Connect which is a much smaller vehicle.

I custom ordered this vehicle to my spec which included a full set of widows. This is exactly where it's for this new concept in mobile unit design. I'm creating a rig that has the style of a "limo" and a modern approach to the live performance capture. I'm surrounding the inside of the van with the right acoustic treatment so we can have four of the six side windows available. You will also be able to attach a curtain over the four main windows if that's what you're looking for. But, the key to these windows if the fact that I will be adding the same seriously awesome glass Elroy has in its entrance door...

Just like with Elroy's high-tech studio entrance door, this van shall have four laminated Suspended Particle Device (SPD) Smartglass and Liquid Crystal (LC) Polycarbonate privacy glass panel assemblies.

As you may already know, when you apply AC voltage to the SPD film by regulating the 120V you can observe a wide range of light-control. What's cool about SPD Smart Glass, is the fact that you can dial in the exact level of transparency. When you apply an electrical current to the LC film, it immediately turns from opaque to clear allowing see through vision. When the current is removed the glass returns to the frosted "private" state.

This is what those glass panel assemblies will be able to do! I'm going to have them operate individually, so you can adjust each panel as per your needs.

Elroy's new laminated SPD / LC Polycarbonate Privacy Glass

Well, all the gear that's going in this vehicle is pretty small. Even the console is just under five feet wide and not very deep. This mobile unit will also be setup for 5.1 surround. We setup mock racks, chairs and such and were able to fit five people comfortably.

This is not just you ordinary audio recording truck. It will be able to do all sorts of production ventures in a seriously small, but extremely efficiently designed mobile unit. IMHO, it shall provide a unique and special purpose to our on location production projects and otherwise much different from what your usual mobile unit can handle and address.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhunter View Post
Hey Steve,

Did'nt you mention a new project with the Ford Transit Connect or was I having a senior moment!
Old 10th September 2015
  #3
Gear Head
 

Wow

That Sounds a superb bot of engineering, any chance of some pictures please

Thanks

Steve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Yes, I wanted to take a new approach and direction in the art of mobile capturing, so I purchased the tallest, longest version of a 2015 Ford Transit. That being said, it is not a Transit Connect which is a much smaller vehicle.

I custom ordered this vehicle to my spec which included a full set of widows. This is exactly where it's for this new concept in mobile unit design. I'm creating a rig that has the style of a "limo" and a modern approach to the live performance capture. I'm surrounding the inside of the van with the right acoustic treatment so we can have four of the six side windows available. You will also be able to attach a curtain over the four main windows if that's what you're looking for. But, the key to these windows if the fact that I will be adding the same seriously awesome glass Elroy has in its entrance door...

Just like with Elroy's high-tech studio entrance door, this van shall have four laminated Suspended Particle Device (SPD) Smartglass and Liquid Crystal (LC) Polycarbonate privacy glass panel assemblies.

As you may already know, when you apply AC voltage to the SPD film by regulating the 120V you can observe a wide range of light-control. What's cool about SPD Smart Glass, is the fact that you can dial in the exact level of transparency. When you apply an electrical current to the LC film, it immediately turns from opaque to clear allowing see through vision. When the current is removed the glass returns to the frosted "private" state.

This is what those glass panel assemblies will be able to do! I'm going to have them operate individually, so you can adjust each panel as per your needs.

Elroy's new laminated SPD / LC Polycarbonate Privacy Glass

Well, all the gear that's going in this vehicle is pretty small. Even the console is just under five feet wide and not very deep. This mobile unit will also be setup for 5.1 surround. We setup mock racks, chairs and such and were able to fit five people comfortably.

This is not just you ordinary audio recording truck. It will be able to do all sorts of production ventures in a seriously small, but extremely efficiently designed mobile unit. IMHO, it shall provide a unique and special purpose to our on location production projects and otherwise much different from what your usual mobile unit can handle and address.
Old 10th September 2015
  #4
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Thanks!

I will post some pictures very soon!

In the meantime here's a link to the photo album I created on my Face-waste page...

The Best of the Build-Outs: TRANSIT



Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhunter View Post
Wow

That Sounds a superb bot of engineering, any chance of some pictures please

Thanks

Steve
Old 10th September 2015
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
What about those pictures?

Here's a few images from when we first got the vehicle...

No AutoCAD operator was harmed in the making of this design!

Like all my past work, I think it up in my head completed, then backwards engineer it and sketch it project out by hand.

Then I take artist tape directly to the vehicle's interior to visualize what I was going for.
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-what-cool-looking-vehicle.-interior-design-pretty-awesome.-time-get-everyon.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-now-all-we-need-do-fabricate-what-has-been-designed....jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-starting-point-new-build-out-project...-pretty-wild-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-heres-close-up-passenger-side-mix-position-glass-acoustic-panel-layout..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-no-autocad-operator-harmed-making-design-like-all-my-past-work-i-s.jpg  

Old 10th September 2015
  #6
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
The next step was to bed-line the interior metal structure...
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-bed-liner-done-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-done-deal-bed-liner-.jpg  
Old 10th September 2015
  #7
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Then we started working on installing the two roof HVAC units and everything else that goes with that portion of the build-out...
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-one-two-coleman-mach-8-hvacs-going-roof-our-new-ford-transit-love-mach.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-ready-first-14-22-square-hole-cut..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-then-cut.-few-steps-closer-having-those-roof-mounted-hvacs-installed..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-we-couldnt-wait-next-week-like-originally-planned.-first-roof-hvac-hole-has-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-heres-laminated-mass-loaded-vinyl-birch-ply-positioned-point-so-we-can-cut-.jpg  

One For Steve Remote-transit-now-its-time-mark-laminated-mass-loaded-vinyl-birch-ply-tomorrows-hole-cut.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-second-openning-front-roof-hvac-unit-has-been-cut..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-heres-wide-angle-shot-front-roof-hole..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-view-dave-sizing-up-ceiling-ply-hvac-cut-out..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-dave-joe-process-lifting-one-two-hvac-roof-units-transi.jpg  

One For Steve Remote-transit-both-coleman-mach-8-hvac-units-their-dry-run-position-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-wide-side-view-hvac-units-position-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-final-alignment-before-new-ceiling-piece-installed.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-time-start-screwing-piece-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-second-rear-ceiling-piece-ready-installation.-mounts-under-rear-roof-hv.jpg  

One For Steve Remote-transit-ceiling-installed.-hooray-.jpg  
Old 10th September 2015
  #8
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Now we have some floor, walls, wheel-wells and windows to address...
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-some-floor-action-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-ps-window-love-action-outside-looking-towards-sliding-side-door.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-ps-windows-inside-view-looking-back-perspective-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-how-dry-ds-wall-panel-run-.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-wall-window-panel-dry-runs-coming-along-quite-nicely.-.jpg  

One For Steve Remote-transit-all-main-window-wall-panels-cut-sculpted-dry-runs-complete-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-last-passenger-side-window-wall-panel-fits-perfectly-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-last-five-main-wall-panels-fitted-ready-final-steps-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-final-ds-window-module-buttoned-up.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-front-end-crm-window-modules-baby-.jpg  

Old 10th September 2015
  #9
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Creating a quick replica of the control cabin to make sure my experiment in (small sized) OB mobile production is what it is...

A number of different Movable/Removable pedestals, shelves and table tops shall be designed and built for a variety of different applications using E Track.
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-just-creating-quick-replica-control-cabin-make-sure-my-experiment-small.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-rear-view-console-area.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-dry-run-e-track-movable-removable-table-top-completed-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-another-view-e-track-movable-removable-table-top-system.-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-heres-shot-e-track-movable-removable-pedestal-console-roadcase-dry-ru.jpg  

Old 10th September 2015
  #10
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Sometimes you have to build your own stuff! We created these "stanchions" which will be used for both vertical Cable Ways & DS Ceiling Racks...
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-both-vertical-cable-ways-ds-ceiling-racks-place..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-sometimes-you-have-build-your-own-stuff-we-created-these-22stanchions-22-wil.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-almost-done-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-all-done-next-step-mount-these-suckers-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-ds-22stanchions-22-place-cable-way-additional-ceiling-racks.-doing-.jpg  

One For Steve Remote-transit-stanchions-place-almost-completed.-little-little-things-getting-d.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-perminent-equipment-shall-installed-into-these-racks-once-i-o-panels-cei.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-i-get-blown-away-when-i-visualize-what-mobile-unit-will-look-like-once-all-ge.jpg  
Old 10th September 2015
  #11
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
For the love of TEAK!

FYI, we've been using teak wood in all my mobile units since 1987!

More shots of the teak work will follow in the coming days!
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-transit-love-teak-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-fyi-weve-been-using-teak-wood-all-my-mobile-units-since-1987-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-got-teak-now-its-time-start-ripping-.jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-planks-right-will-used-most-finishing-work..jpg   One For Steve Remote-transit-working-teak-window-frames-love..jpg  

Old 10th September 2015
  #12
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Here's a few more images for your review...

Many of the teak pieces have been built, now we're going some dry runs to make sure everything is everything.
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-0909151702a-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0909151704a-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0909151704b-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0909151758.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0909151805.jpg  

Old 11th September 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

This is amazing, I totally love this approach.
Old 13th September 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 

I always enjoy seeing these types of builds. So many things to address.

Tom
Old 13th September 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Genius, as usual. And observant of the continual march towards smaller footprint with the same or more firepower. Curious--did you consider not having a console, since that seems to be the largest object in the van? IE in favor of something computer or ipad or etc controlled. Not my pref for sure but I'm an old guy… I assume you are doing what you've done with previous trucks and making the whole thing "soft", like able to have diff gear installed for diff jobs/functions? What made you decide to do this smaller truck--more restrictive parking etc rules at the venues some of your clients use, or new clients with less space avail? Do you figure you can get this smaller truck closer to the stage than a larger truck, and so maybe avoid having to go to "flypack" mode for some gigs?

thanks for sharing your pix--I get tremendous vicarious pleasure from watching your trucks come together--Steve is our hero!

phil p
Old 13th September 2015
  #16
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
This is amazing, I totally love this approach.
Thanks, Patrick.

I seriously love this approach on so many different levels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
I always enjoy seeing these types of builds. So many things to address.

Tom
Yes, Tom! There are many things to address and figure out.
This build-out is coming along quite nicely.
There are two areas we still need to address, but I believe we got one of them licked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Genius, as usual. And observant of the continual march towards smaller footprint with the same or more firepower. Curious--did you consider not having a console, since that seems to be the largest object in the van? IE in favor of something computer or ipad or etc controlled. Not my pref for sure but I'm an old guy… I assume you are doing what you've done with previous trucks and making the whole thing "soft", like able to have diff gear installed for diff jobs/functions? What made you decide to do this smaller truck--more restrictive parking etc rules at the venues some of your clients use, or new clients with less space avail? Do you figure you can get this smaller truck closer to the stage than a larger truck, and so maybe avoid having to go to "flypack" mode for some gigs?

thanks for sharing your pix--I get tremendous vicarious pleasure from watching your trucks come together--Steve is our hero!

phil p
Thanks so much, Phil!

I truly appreciate the kind words.

The smaller footprint with plenty of firepower approach is exactly where we're heading towards.
This new mindset is what the production side of my company needed.

Having a powerful system that's built into a non-commercial vehicle was the key, and I didn't want a big old RV to wrangle.
I wanted a vehicle that can travel anywhere without travel permits, log books or medical cards that need to be up-to-date.
Parking anywhere with no restrictions is also a big plus.

IMHO, this is a very attractive rig for the "indie" film and music folks.
We have received an insane amount of interest for this new approach to music and teleproduction.
Clients that don't have the budget for one of our larger rigs now have a solid option with that bigger-bang-for-buck ratio.

This "Tiny Big Mobile" can not only get closer to a stage, you can in some cases, park it next to the stage.
The possibility of driving the van into a soundstage (or big warehouse) and becoming a truly mobile control room with windows and a view is what made our film and video friends so excited about the rig.

The fact that a guest engineer can install their "flypack" at their shop (or ours) and pull in ready to rawk is so doable!

As some already know, the beauty about our "Mobile Production Environments" since 2003 is the fact that they all have an "Open Architecture" that have been ergonomically designed for maximum efficiency during each and every "Open Architecture" arrangement. Integrating the equipment as per the client or guest engineer's needs is what it's all about at Aura-Sonic, Ltd.

Our systems are customized for each and every project, so if you don't want a console, you don't install the console.
That being said, a Soundcraft Vi3000 comes with the standard package, but if you want another desk or no desk at all, it's up to you.
As long as there is time to change things out, anything is possible.

We have built a few different movable/removable pedestals for computer based or console surface based production ventures.
It's really up to the individual's needs and workflow environment.

This vehicle will also handle DIT work making sure that the digital imaging technician is in a comfortable environment.
And, that's just one of the many possibilities we have in store for the "Tiny Big Mobile."
Old 13th September 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
I won't be here when you are gone but folks will still be talking about your rigs long after you are gone. I think you will be the high water mark in rigs and rig construction for a long time.

Do you ever sleep?
Old 13th September 2015
  #18
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Wow, I'm not sure I totally agree with you, but I truly appreciate the sentiment.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that would argue that opinion, but it has never stopped me from building mobile units to my spec.

I know one thing, I've been more of a leader than a follower when it came to designing my mobile recording trucks.
I built my first truck when I was 18 years old and never looked back.

For better or worst, my attitude, opinions, views and emotions have always been from my heart when it came to building my dream.

Thanks so much for your seriously kind words!


Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I won't be here when you are gone but folks will still be talking about your rigs long after you are gone. I think you will be the high water mark in rigs and rig construction for a long time.

Do you ever sleep?
Old 14th September 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 

YES! Drive the sucker ONTO the sound stage! Genius!

p
Old 14th September 2015
  #20
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Not only that, parking this vehicle in a non-commercial neighborhood is a no brainer too.

More times than not, it has been a hassle to park a commercial vehicle in a residential neighborhood.
Now, it's more like parking a bad-arse limo-bus in the driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
YES! Drive the sucker ONTO the sound stage! Genius!

p
Old 14th September 2015
  #21
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
We did a dry run the other day.

Here's what it looked like when we temporarily mounted some of the build-out elements.

What say you?
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-0911151639-2-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0911151924-3.jpg  
Old 14th September 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 

You guys work fast! Re parking--won't this rig have commercial plates? Is the size of the vehicle (just a big van) the main factor or the lack of need for Class A type license to drive it, insure it etc? A gaffer here in SF got rid of his 5-ton years ago, and now runs a squadron of Sprinters. He rolls to jobs in 1 to 3 of them. A bit more work but it means he can get into locations to offload (he's all on carts) that would never allow a real truck. I thought maybe you were taking this approach--the scaling up for certain kinds of bigger jobs might be via adding more small trucks with diff functions?

p
Old 15th September 2015
  #23
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
FYI, we haven't been working fast.
This project is taking much longer than it needs to take.
We have been building this rig in between gigs and such.

I believe we have about ten days of solid work left, but it will take much longer to complete due to our scheduling issues.

This rig does not have commercial plates!
That was the most important part of this project.
The size of the vehicle and the lack of needing a Class B license to drive it were the other main factors.

It's interesting that you mentioned that SF gaffer, that has a squadron of Sprinters.
Well, a couple of Fridays ago, we took delivery of our second 2015 Ford Transit to use as a B truck and crew vehicle on bigger gigs. Since it's not as long and as tall as the mobile unit, it will also act as our everyday vehicle which also doesn't have commercial plates. As things progress I do plan to buy more Ford Transit vans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
You guys work fast! Re parking--won't this rig have commercial plates? Is the size of the vehicle (just a big van) the main factor or the lack of need for Class A type license to drive it, insure it etc? A gaffer here in SF got rid of his 5-ton years ago, and now runs a squadron of Sprinters. He rolls to jobs in 1 to 3 of them. A bit more work but it means he can get into locations to offload (he's all on carts) that would never allow a real truck. I thought maybe you were taking this approach--the scaling up for certain kinds of bigger jobs might be via adding more small trucks with diff functions?

p
Old 26th September 2015
  #24
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Here's what we have been up to as of late...

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-03_0924152003f-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-04_0924152003d-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-05_0924152003g-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-06_0924152004a-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0921151738.jpg  

Old 27th September 2015
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Continuing beauty.

Re commercial plates--school me: you work in the NYC area right? And having commercial plates there means you have to stay off certain roads and have a more exalted driver's license? Here in CA commercial plates are still very worth it re being able to use yellow zones at all (even if the meters are exhorbitantly expensive) esp in the heavily constructed SOMA area of SF (all the new tech high-rises). Fortuantely we don't have road usage restrictions or license requirements (yet). I'm glad the FT is working out so well for you. Gotta be a better deal $ wise than a Sprinter--I think they are cool but way overpriced.

phil p
Old 27th September 2015
  #26
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Yes, the continuous beautification of the "Tiny Big Mobile."

Commercial plates: Yes, we work in the NYC area and beyond. In NY and many parts of North America, you are not allowed to travel on parkways, drives and anywhere else that posts, "No Commercial Traffic" signs. You also need a CDL (Commercial Driver's License) when the vehicle you're driving is over a certain weight or class of vehicle. In many cases you cannot park a commercial vehicle in a residential neighborhood even if it's in your own driveway. Unless you have a permit, there are restrictions on (overnight) parking for commercial vehicles on public streets. In NY for example, after 9:00 pm, you have a three hour parking limit; although rare, you can indeed get a summons for parking a commercial vehicle overnight for an extended period of time.

We have commercial vehicles, and they have their benefits, but I wanted to go in another direction and work in areas where trucks are not allowed. Travel on roads that trucks cannot travel, park in places restricted to commercial vehicles. We've been operating commercial vehicles for five decades now, and I welcome this fresh new method to mobile and location production. Everything is more compact and budgets are getting smaller for the "indie" film, TV and music worlds. IMHO, this current mobile unit design mirrors the style, way, and manner of how things are done these days.

Phil, you are mistaken, trucks do have road usage restrictions in North America and beyond. And, like I mentioned above, you do need a CDL license to drive a vehicle that is over a certain weight or class of vehicle.

In any event, this is where I'm heading towards. There's no right or wrong way to do it. I've done the commercial vehicle route for decades, still have commercial trucks, but I felt this new mindset is where I want to lead Aura-Sonic, Ltd today. And, like in the past, I must follow my dreams into the future!



Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Continuing beauty.

Re commercial plates--school me: you work in the NYC area right? And having commercial plates there means you have to stay off certain roads and have a more exalted driver's license? Here in CA commercial plates are still very worth it re being able to use yellow zones at all (even if the meters are exhorbitantly expensive) esp in the heavily constructed SOMA area of SF (all the new tech high-rises). Fortuantely we don't have road usage restrictions or license requirements (yet). I'm glad the FT is working out so well for you. Gotta be a better deal $ wise than a Sprinter--I think they are cool but way overpriced.

phil p
Old 4th October 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Simply stunning!!

Great job Steve!

Ciao



Cheu
Old 4th October 2015
  #28
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Thanks!

FYI, most of the components you see in the pictures are still just dry run installs; we plan to put it all together and finalize the permanent installation once all the pieces are built and completed. Then it's like putting together a Lego set.

We worked on the driver's side vertical cable-way & I/O (hub) panel a bit.
Here are some more images for your review.

Let me know what you folks think.

Any questions? I'm all "ears."


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Simply stunning!!

Great job Steve!

Ciao



Cheu
Attached Thumbnails
One For Steve Remote-0930152030-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0930152044-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0930152044b-2.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0930152129a.jpg   One For Steve Remote-0930152131.jpg  

Old 4th October 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Yes, the continuous beautification of the "Tiny Big Mobile."

Commercial plates:
Phil, you are mistaken, trucks do have road usage restrictions in North America and beyond. And, like I mentioned above, you do need a CDL license to drive a vehicle that is over a certain weight or class of vehicle.
I know about the laws re big trucks, drivers, licenses etc--I was referring to vehicles like the FTC re commercial plates. In my part of CA we have some freeways that don't allow larger trucks (13 in Oakland), but that has to do with the size of the truck, not whether or not it has commercial plates. I drive all those roads in my FTC and all the vans I've had before it, all of which had CA commercial plates. The parking thing re yellow zones still makes commercial plates very worth the trouble here. If cities like SF go to London-style traffic restrictions then I'll have to rethink all that I guess.

Love the cable raceways hidden inside the panels where the walls meet the roof.

phil p
Old 6th October 2015
  #30
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
It's true, smaller commercial vehicle can drive on certain non-commercial roads in parts of North America. Here in NY small Transit Connect vans with commercial plates still have to abide by the rules unless otherwise posted.

Why I decided to go with non-commercial plates on our two Transits was more about the travel restrictions than the parking issues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I know about the laws re big trucks, drivers, licenses etc--I was referring to vehicles like the FTC re commercial plates. In my part of CA we have some freeways that don't allow larger trucks (13 in Oakland), but that has to do with the size of the truck, not whether or not it has commercial plates. I drive all those roads in my FTC and all the vans I've had before it, all of which had CA commercial plates. The parking thing re yellow zones still makes commercial plates very worth the trouble here. If cities like SF go to London-style traffic restrictions then I'll have to rethink all that I guess.

Love the cable raceways hidden inside the panels where the walls meet the roof.

phil p
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 19 views: 7818
Avatar for deedeeyeah
deedeeyeah 7th October 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump