The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Native Instruments sucks at customer service
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I just thought it was worth a reminder to everyone.

I'm sitting here on hold... been on hold FOREVER, just like I was on Friday!!! Friday I made an order in the online shop. I call to get a download link (cause it looks like they were sold out of DVD's... I had to convert my order). Well, after waiting forever and ever, the guy says that I will DEFINITELY have a download link in my email by the end of the day.

Hours and hours later, no link. So I call back. After waiting FOREVER AND EVER (notice a pattern, here?), someone insures me, "yes, you will definitely get a download link today." (Keep in mind I really could have used the software this past weekend.) 5pm their time, no link. I call. Guess how long I waited? Yep. And guess what they said. Yep! But here comes 8pm... no link. Of course, I got no link all weekend.

So I call this morning. After waiting (everyone say it together) "forever and ever", I get someone on the phone. While this person is checking on it, I get hung up on!!!!!!!! What the crap!!!! Are apes are running this company? So now I'm waiting again!!! I'm 18 minutes into my hold-time already.

AWFUL COMPANY. I knew that years ago, but for some reason I decided to upgrade to Komplete 7 (hoping that maybe they had gotten their act together). I was wrong. The product does sound great, but the customer service is NON EXISTENT! Don't believe me? Send an email and see how many days you have to wait. Call and see how many DAYS you have to wait.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just now, a 38-minute call (30 minutes MINIMUM were spent on hold):

NI: "Okay, I've got that processed and we're sending you the link today."

Me: "Well, can you just send me the link NOW?"

NI: "No, it doesn't work that way."

Me: "It doesn't work AT ALL, it seems to me."

I get put on hold suddenly... then 2 minutes later I'm disconnected... second time today!

WORST COMPANY EVER.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Maniac

And I was quite cordial, aside from that last little quip, which was delivered w/some level of politeness.
Old 24th January 2011
amen, their cs dept is horrible.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I tolerate NI's bad customer service because their products do sound amazing.

So I chimed in here, not just to kick a dog when its down, but with the hopes that maybe, NI would see that their customers do respect NI's products but often feel treated like the enemy by NI support!

Buy hey, maybe they'll wake up and change... I mean 10 years ago I'd have lost the bet that Digi would improve their customer service, but here we are with AVID in charge and they seemingly have righted their ship so I guess anything is possible!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I probably shouldn't say this, but... and I am in no way nativistic or jingoistic, but... more and more I think this is a cultural thing. NI isn't the only German company I've dealt with that has GREAT products but poor customer service. My family owned a Chrysler dealership for 65+ years and when Daimler took over I could tell you endless horror stories that have to do with apparently cultural differences between what we Yanks expect in terms of service and what the "Jerry's" expect. LOL -- it's a little known fact that the entire merger with Chrysler almost fell apart over the fact that European business cards are somewhat larger than our typical US ones. Again, I want to stress that I am no way implying superiority or prejudice, etc. I've just seen this too many times for it to be coincidental.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckamc View Post
I just thought it was worth a reminder to everyone.

I'm sitting here on hold... been on hold FOREVER, just like I was on Friday!!! Friday I made an order in the online shop. I call to get a download link (cause it looks like they were sold out of DVD's... I had to convert my order). Well, after waiting forever and ever, the guy says that I will DEFINITELY have a download link in my email by the end of the day.

Hours and hours later, no link. So I call back. After waiting FOREVER AND EVER (notice a pattern, here?), someone insures me, "yes, you will definitely get a download link today." (Keep in mind I really could have used the software this past weekend.) 5pm their time, no link. I call. Guess how long I waited? Yep. And guess what they said. Yep! But here comes 8pm... no link. Of course, I got no link all weekend.

So I call this morning. After waiting (everyone say it together) "forever and ever", I get someone on the phone. While this person is checking on it, I get hung up on!!!!!!!! What the crap!!!! Are apes are running this company? So now I'm waiting again!!! I'm 18 minutes into my hold-time already.

AWFUL COMPANY. I knew that years ago, but for some reason I decided to upgrade to Komplete 7 (hoping that maybe they had gotten their act together). I was wrong. The product does sound great, but the customer service is NON EXISTENT! Don't believe me? Send an email and see how many days you have to wait. Call and see how many DAYS you have to wait.
I am sorry you are having a problem with NI but I have dealt with NI tech support via phone many times (different issues) over the years and I have actually always found them to be excellent.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear interested

My brother just bought Komplete 7, and he had to call for something as well. He also had a terrible time with customer service. I just joked with him and said, "Well, maybe all that software pirating you did in the past caught up to you. They had to fire all their customer service people in order to stay afloat from people stealing there product."

He didn't think it was very funny. I thought it was funny. But there could be some truth to that. Who knows? Sad thing is, I can count on one hand the amount of people who have bought programs like, Reason.

Anyway, not trying to go off topic: Have you tried asking for higher management? (i'm sure you have, but just a question) Did you upgrade straight through Native Instruments?
Old 25th January 2011
Gear nut

i hear this.
i ordered traktor scratch duo on nov 1st and have still not recieved it!
i had to lodge three tickets before i got a response.
apparently they shipped all Australian customers there order by boat,
so we are all waiting for three months for an order, what a joke!
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Nut

NI has done right by me. You want to talk bad customer service, you can do much worse than NI.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I probably shouldn't say this, but... and I am in no way nativistic or jingoistic, but... more and more I think this is a cultural thing. NI isn't the only German company I've dealt with that has GREAT products but poor customer service. My family owned a Chrysler dealership for 65+ years and when Daimler took over I could tell you endless horror stories that have to do with apparently cultural differences between what we Yanks expect in terms of service and what the "Jerry's" expect. LOL -- it's a little known fact that the entire merger with Chrysler almost fell apart over the fact that European business cards are somewhat larger than our typical US ones. Again, I want to stress that I am no way implying superiority or prejudice, etc. I've just seen this too many times for it to be coincidental.
This is a pretty common attitude between American, European or Asian companies in general so no love loss there. It's just a cultural thing and competitive economic warfare. They think American's are arrogant and ignorant, that's all...I'm sure we come across that way, so maybe they have a point in their feelings....my experience with French and German engineers in my day job sometimes I get nice attitudes (2 faced) and then really bad ones towards the US. (the honest ones). Unfortunately for us they're laughing all the way to their bank's with US dollars!

There is a underlying attitude going on for sure...but I think we all do it and it works both ways...
NI totally sucks on customer service or software support. (well known fact) That may be due to them selling a ton of this stuff and not having enough people to handle the massive problems,, who knows.
But just look at Microsoft and they're support....it's a nightmare too!

I own NI, RME, Steinberg and A&H products and in a way I wish I didn't.
Not to mention a S.Korean car and HDTV and God knows how much Chinese made crap laying around my house!
I have a really good solution though....sell all that crap, get rid of it...stop buying foreign made goods and start buying American stuff!
90% of these foreign companies sales come from us, so we have nobody to blame but ourselves!.....and our stuff is better anyway....LOL
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

When I updated from Komplete6 to 7 there was a double charge on my CC (actually the initial hold just never fell off my bank acct) and it did take until the following day for them to fix it, but I never felt they were rude or false in what they were telling me.

But thankfully I've dealt with NI in the past and realize some of what they do either has to escalate up (typical support structure) to their german offices or has to be approved etc. So usually when I call NI I don't bother to stay on hold, a lot of the licensing and shop related functions do take them time to resolve so a phone call to kickstart the process and then follow up via email for a day or two. Call again if there's no progress...
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Native Instruments customer service is nonexistent!

One of the worst companies I've ever dealt with for support ever. The only thing they do fast is charge your credit card and after that, you're in for a wait and you have NO IDEA when you will get it.

And if you ask for support, they'll answer you a month later IF they ever got around to even answering -- and the answer will be a generic 'yes' (yes to what?! I didn't ask you a 'yes/no' question'!)

Jeez, they piss me off!dfegad NI

But I still use their stuff cuz it works.

Damn, doesn't someone in upper management in their company see all these posts? All they need to do is improve their CS Dept! Is that so hard....?
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear
I just don't bother calling them anymore, because all these guys do is try to blame every bug and problem on your system or your alleged incompetence. They just aren't capable of admitting that sometimes things don't work because they screwed up. But they're certainly not unique in this, my experience with Cakewalk, for example, has been virtually identical.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

And now I FINALLY get the link and they sent me the wrong serial number on one of my downloads!!!!!! I can't even freaking activate it yet!!!!!!! Geez louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This company

suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freaking crap!!!! How can a company screw up EVERYTHING????
Old 25th January 2011
Quote:
I probably shouldn't say this, but... and I am in no way nativistic or jingoistic, but... more and more I think this is a cultural thing. NI isn't the only German company I've dealt with that has GREAT products but poor customer service.
I actually based my company service idea on the "support" offered by an American company, which we don't support and probably will never support. It is not a cultural thing, companies all over the world offer all kind of support standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKellermusic View Post
"Well, maybe all that software pirating you did in the past caught up to you. They had to fire all their customer service people in order to stay afloat from people stealing there product."
While I don't know about their staff policy, it is well know that NI is one of the companies in our great music industry who suffer tremendously under piracy. Whether that is affecting their support quality is not up to me to judge.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
I actually based my company service idea on the "support" offered by an American company, which we don't support and probably will never support. It is not a cultural thing, companies all over the world offer all kind of support standards.
I'm not quite clear what you're saying here.

I am basing my remarks regarding "customer support" on experiences I've had with the following German companies:

>Native Instruments
>Steinberg
>Emagic (before purchase by Apple)
>Lufthansa
>Daimler

Of course, this short list isn't necessarily indicative of all German companies, but I still find it... interesting.

Again, when I say "cultural" I mean in the "business" sense, not the social or moral or any other sort of sense. It's just a different approach to conducting business. The same could have been said about most American companies 30 years ago but around that time Japanese firms were taking business way from American firms and there was a frantic push to reverse that trend and "customer service" became an integral part of American business which today take largely for granted. Of course, nobody can beat the Germans for engineering excellence, whether it's software, or automobiles, or industrial tools, or medical equipment, or...
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Laud customer service in the US all you want but I can think of quite a few examples to counter that as well. I agree that's more up to the individual corporate ethos and what they choose to farm out to save a buck or two (try calling Creative Labs for instance, or let's talk about Emu's support a decade ago when they were bought...)

NI has caused me havok in the past as well, there was what I presume was a cpu id bug that kept my dual xeon (prestonia era) machine circa ~2001-2002 from being recognized as even having SSE1 let alone SSE2 available to Kontakt & other NI software (Kontakt being the main issue for me at that time.) To my knowledge that wasn't fixed until somewhere into v2 but I didn't buy back into their product line until quite some time later since I wasn't able to use my initial purchase. Voting with dollars...

At the same time the shop issue I had last summer with NI was addressed within a few days, and while it caused me a headache I've had similar situations with Sweetwater, Audiomidi and Americanmusical over much larger dollar figures. I'd say it took a similar amount of work with them as well to get things resolved (checking back once things were approved to verify account numbers and so on.) Now thankfully these last companies don't really code their own software but even with Audiomidi there's plenty of support involvement in the no brainer sales and other software sales they do now.

One thing I can say is constant among all of that is that using a measured approach in my demeanor, documenting and double checking at each step of the process works fairly well to resolve issues.
Old 25th January 2011
Try TC support or Motu.. funny companies.

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com App
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely NOT a German issue. My BMW support is top notch! So is support of other German products that I use.

Native Instruments is just as bad as MOTU....

Yes, definitely NOT a cultural issue.. just a corporate issue.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear maniac

Agree. Bought Guitar Rig back in the day. Stopped working, due to activation issues after a few months. NI claimed it was purchased using a stolen credit card. Contacted my bank (that the CC was through), and showed proof it was not. A huge battle ensued, where some of the most immature and ignorant I've ever witnessed were said by NI, and ultimately the result was that I wasn't refunded my money and NI held their ground, despite their utter failure. Lucky I was reimbursed by my bank, who said they were going to fight NI further on the matter, although I'm not sure what happened after that.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Addict

Not surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by descry View Post
amen, their cs dept is horrible.
That happens when you have more knowledge about the subject than the CS dept.

With DSL it's the same in Spain, they train the CS people in this way.

(Happened to me)

Me: "Internet is friggin' slow".
CS: "Let me check" (5 min later) "Someone is using your wifi".
Me: "No, I have password and I checked a website to analyze my speed and it indicates 800kbps instead of 20Mbps"
CS: "Let me check" (5 min later) Maybe it's your computer.
Me: "Which one of them, I get the same result in 2 computers"
CS: "Let me check" (5 min later) Maybe you have a virus and it infected all the computers.
Me: "I'm running 1 Mac OSX and 1 Windows. It's impossible"
CS "Sorry, we don't have support for Mac OSX. Good evening". BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I called later, a guy pressed a magical button and I returned to my current speed + 3Mbps. They always said that you can't reach 100% of the speed, and then with a simple button they can add you more bandwith...

So, how do you train a CS guy?

Blame the customer with terminology like "Your supernodamegamaxi converter may be infected". If the customer knows more than you about the subject get a real expert to solve the problem.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'll tell ya this. EVERY pro audio or audio software company i've ever dealt with has shown me less than great customer service. Whether it was the service itself or just the amount of time it takes to get back to you. The common theme with todays software and hardware (audio/midi interface) companies is that they all try to blame your issue on the system you're using or another software. And I can understand how that may be the case sometimes but it's an easy cop out for them sometimes. So try going back and forth between two of these companies trying to figure out which is causing the actual problem. Whenever I have an issue with anything in my studio, I will spend as much time as possible trying to figure it out myself before I call these people and even then, they always try to talk to you like your an idiot that doesn't know what your doing when they don't have a clue how to correct the problem. I'm not saying they're all like that or that all of their reps are like that but it sounds like its a common trend no matter where the company is from.
Old 25th January 2011
Quote:
I'm not quite clear what you're saying here.

I am basing my remarks regarding "customer support" on experiences I've had with the following German companies:
What I meant is that my company offers a service which most music stores and manufacturers can't offer. And I got the idea because a certain company refused to support its customers and partner companies who tried to figure out what the culprit was. Long story, hard to explain without mentioning the brands, which I don't want to do.

In the end I mean I get all different quality levels of support from all kind of companies all over the world. It's not a cultural thing.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just got an email answer about a question I asked them early last week. Nice.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

SuckAmc- sorry. That sounds like a bum deal. I would cancel the order, tell them you work for a huge music label in the studio and that someone in your family works for a magazine

I would then ask to speak to
A manager.

Just a reminder but when high speed first came out and we had lots of choices, tech support decided whether we got it or not and want to remind people use this way for banks, dish vs direct,or any type
of service. 10 automated button pushing vs 2 to get a real person can really make a difference.

Peace!!!
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've had nothing but good experiences with NI support. They seem to answer e-mails very quickly.
Old 28th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
I've had nothing but good experiences with NI support. They seem to answer e-mails very quickly.
funny, i never get an answer on emails or postings in their forum, but their phone support was allways very nice.

perhaps while i`m german
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Head

Well, while it appears that many of you have had some letigimately unpleasant dealings with NI, I will chime in and say that they've helped me out twice with no drama at all.

First, when I was trying to upgrade from Komplete 5 to 6, the install kept failing. I had bought the discs from Sweetwater, and their tech support, which has always been very good in my experience, put me in touch with NI to get a set of replacement DVDs, which came in a day or two. But the install failed with that set of discs as well. (Turns out it was the optical drive in my Mac Pro that was the problem, though I didn't figure that out until later.) So, NI gave me a login and password to an FTP site to download disc images of Komplete 6. I downloaded them and installed everything with no further problems. Actually, the install took a very little time, since I was installing from disc images rather than DVDs.

Second, my Mac Pro went completely and entirely haywire last fall, and everything was totally locked up and non-functioning (and idiot me, who keeps like 5 different backups of all my data and documents, had no Time Machine backup). So, the hard drive got completely wiped and I lost all of my apps. By then I was using Komplete 7, which had been upgraded from 6, which had been upgraded from 5. I emailed NI to ask if I'd just be able to install 7 on the brand-new Mac Pro that I got, since I didn't know if 7 would be looking for an earlier version of Komplete to upgrade, like what happens with Adobe products. Tech support answered me almost immediately and said, "No problem. Install 7 from your discs and you'll be fine." Which is what happened.

So, maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule, but they did prove very helpful to me the two times I needed support.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 29th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Try TC support or Motu.. funny companies.

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com App
Damn right. MOTU is absolutely horrendous. I've gone through a year-long back and forth from their customer support that only amounted to maybe four replies from them. I would reply right away, they would take MONTHS to get back to me. It's too bad, I love their products and I'd love to give them my full support, but anyone looking at MOTU stuff, I warn them 'the products are great, but pray that you never have to contact their customer support.'
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search