The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Musicians Friend is just as bad as Guitar Center
Old 5th March 2008
Gear nut

Thumbs down Musicians Friend is just as bad as Guitar Center

I know, MF is owned by GC, so i have to expect the incompetence. I am just pissed because my package was delayed by a week at the post office because MF can't seem to get their heads out of their asses and put my company name on the shipping label under my actual name, even though it is included in the shipping address I specified on the website order form. Just another indication that this company is going downhill.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear nut

One word: zzounds.com (Wait, is that one word?)
Old 5th March 2008
Gear nut

Aah, I checked zzounds first - they and Sweetwater were out of stock on what I wanted. But thanks!
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

There plenty of privately owned stores where you can deal directly with the owner and get all the personal service, etc. And you can pay the higher prices. Trouble is, if you don't spend a bunch of cash with these guys, they might ask not even to pick up a guitar off the wall.

My best friend is a bass player who is one of the most awesome players you ever saw. Dave LaRue (Steve Morse, Joe Satriani) even say so!. This awesome world class cat pull a bass of the wall and start ripping a Play The Bass Ten Cubed" kind of riff. The story owner come running across the store yelling: "Hey man, don't ding the frets!" My bud has bought well over 50 basses over the years. Needless to say none from that guy!

Guitar Center rocks. Huge inventory, great prices. I have never had bad service even if I was buying a single pedal or a practice amp.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
One word: zzounds.com (Wait, is that one word?)

guitar center just bought them (and music 123) didn't they?
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

fwiw ya gotta take MF w/ a grain of salt. Ya get relatively good prices, a GREAT return policy, no tax and shipping, and a year differed interest . . . the downside is you deal w/ a bunch of idiots. . . but I rarely call anywhere these days (barring a few high end audio dealers) and not deal w/ idiots.

actually Alto sticks out as a place to get a wide array stuff that has good prices and fairly knowledgeable pimps (but shipping will kill ya - and for me tax as well. . . but I gotta say even still w/ their prices I make out)
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Old 5th March 2008
Gear Head

I'll vote for Alto too. John is a great guy to deal with.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

I've never EVER had a problem, and I've made quite a few purchases over the past 10 years.

Don't know why people complain so much.
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Just the name Musician's Friend hurts my feelings. I've never done business with them. Their mini-catalogs are a joke.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear maniac

Yes, they're idiots. However, they do offer good pricing (particularly through private offers and "blems"), so I keep coming back. When they make mistakes, it's a hassle to get it straightened out, but they have always taken care of me. I will continue to use them in the future.

My biggest complaint about MF is the terrible hold-music that you have to listen to. That endless guitar solo just plain sucks.
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

you sure MF isn't still part of GC? I cant' find anything to the contrary.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Guru

Yeah....but you gotta love getting 'This Week In Review' in your inbox, right?

And what about those most excellent and useful 'Tech Tips'?
Old 5th March 2008
Gear maniac

oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
you sure MF isn't still part of GC? I cant' find anything to the contrary.
You know what, it appears you are right. One of the managers at my local GC told me that was the case last year. I took him at his word (he is normally not a source of misinformation). Sorry about that it appears i am wrong.

Orlando
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Prices are good, but service is definitely an issue. I ordered some real high $$ audio interface from them in the past. They were delayed trying to get my credit card authorized. The card should have been fine and no one called me or even emailed to let me know the order was delayed. After 3 phone calls and 3 weeks, I finally got what I ordered. I missed a session due to them. I have used only Sweetwater since. Sweetwater seems to actually give a sh%#!

dfegad Musician's Friend

I always call them Musician's Enemy now.
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've never had a problem with MF. I don't call them for suggestions on gear though. Last year I ordered some heavy mic stands and a couple mics, and they were out of the stands. They shipped the mics free and the stands arrived late but they didn't charge me for shipping (which was almost the cost of the stands) so that was nice. Of course they neglected to tell me it was delayed until I called them, but oh well.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
Wait. What? When? Where'd you hear that?

Say it ain't so! Nooooooo!
Old 5th March 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
So... who's the good cop, and who's the bad cop? Who charges list, while the other charges retail, while the next discounts (having some fairly expensive competition out there, that they also own tutt?
Old 5th March 2008
Deleted User
im pretty sure guitar center and musicians friend arent related any more. They only were because guitar center didnt have a internet site. But i herd somewhere that now guitar center has a full internet store also they dont own musicians friend.
Also i am getting annoyed with musicians friend. I sent my firestudio project back and it took them about to weeks just to like process the return. And like another week to send me a new one. Im gonna start ordering from Sweet water.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have been dealing with MF since 1986, back when they were just a little guitar accessories supply store. And have had good service and reasonable prices on some select audio equipment over the years, but mostly I buy high end equipment from other places.

However, they recently moved/rearranged their warehouse, and it has been chaos ever since. I ordered an 8-space rack case. They sent me a 12-space. The original mfgr's box said clearly '12-space', but MF inventory control had put a barcode sticker on it that said '8-space'. Therefore, it was an 8-space to their computer droids, and that was all there was to it.

Sent it back (they always send a label for free return shipping when a mistake like this happens). They sent the replacement. It was again a 12-space. With the same barcode label insisting it was 8-space.

I called again. Explained what was happening. Salesman nicely wrote an email to the inventory control dept. to fix this issue while I was on the phone. Guaranteed I would get the correct item this time. I hauled the second bad one back to the shipping center and returned it, again.

3 weeks later I still had not received the replacement. Called again. "Oh, we don't know what happened, will send that right out. And yes, the inventory label problem is fixed, you will receive an 8-space case."

Box shows up. 12-space rack. In a plainly marked 12-space box, same as before. With the little 8-space barcode label, same as before.

I called and immediately asked for a supervisor. She apologized, would I like them to send another? NO! I want my money back. Ok, I will send an emailed return label. NO! Send UPS to my place to pick this up, I am not hauling it again.

So they did, and refunded my payment, and that is the end of me trying to buy this case from MF. And maybe from buying anything there again, I do not trust them now with their 'new improved' warehouse.

Rant off. Watch out if you are shopping there now, it is a new game. Go to American Musical for common MI needs, a hugely better shop. Or Alto, Calistro, Full Compass, etc. for pro audio.

Steve
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Head

I ordered an electronic drumset in January of 07 and through gift card discrepincies it took me until March of 07 to receive the drumset. I have NEVER spoken with more unintelligent and unknowledgable employees anywhere in my life. It's like they threw some kid right off the street onto the phone doing customer service. I haven't bought anything from them since, and will not.
Old 7th March 2008
I have never had a problem with MF. I don't understand the complaints about the idiots on the phone because I only use their website to order. I've gotten some incredible deals on scratch and dent gear. Usually I cannot find the blemish. I saved about $300 on a Rick bass and close to $400 on an ENGL Screamer. I usually order when they have free shipping deals going on to save even more.
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

can we file this one under the 'most redundant thread ever'???
Old 7th March 2008
Gear maniac

I dumped MF and only use zzounds.com now. They are great... not one single problem. I've probably placed 10 orders with them this year.

-ScottyD
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Cake and eat it too...

Musician's Friend is nothing more than a "price" Oriented mail order house.
And that's ok.

BUT, what more do you expect than EXACTLY that?

Use it for that purpose, if you want "service," then you need to support the businesses that built their company on THAT idea.

If you want to talk gear and get service, ideas, even insight, call guys like Vintage King and the likes.

Everyone can get gear ANYWHERE, it's whom and how you get the gear that's the choice... YOUR choice.

You get what you choose and pay for. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

-andrews
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
Wait. What? When? Where'd you hear that?

Say it ain't so! Nooooooo!
GC owns MF, Music 123, Woodwind/Brasswind, and Music & Arts. They also own LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, and Harmony Central. GC also bought Victor's House of Music (the actual store).
See here: Guitar Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dotcoms formerly affiliated with Victors are all still owned by one company - that would be American Musical Supply, zZounds, and Same Day Music.
Old 18th March 2008
Gear nut

What did Papadillo tell you?
Old 21st April 2008
Gear interested

Unhappy Sorry, Sqeegybug

Hi, Steve (Sqeegybug).

My name's Bob, and I work for Musician's Friend. What you experienced as "chaos" in our new warehouse [re: your earlier post in March] was, unfortunately, the situation we and quite a few our customers experienced during the transition period. We definitely feel bad that you had to experience so much frustration on what should have been a straightforward order. You have my own personal apology.

The sad thing is that we made this huge investment in a new, state-of-the-art warehouse precisely to deliver better service to our customers, but the initial result was the opposite: an increase in mixed up orders in some product categories. Plus some product packaging needed to be altered, and in your case -- with the mismatched bar code -- that only amplified the problems.

Hopefully, you'll be at least somewhat reassured that we've gotten the new system tuned up. And, we’ve put together a team of resolution agents with the experience and clout to quickly resolve issues like the one you had. You can contact them via email at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Let them know of any outstanding issues you may still have.

When all is said and done, I'd hate to think that you'd find a great deal on our site for a piece of gear you could really use, but would end up paying more for it somewhere else because you didn’t have the confidence that we could deliver.

I think we're back in stride, and that we can give your next order the personal attention it deserves.

Again, sorry for the hassles you had.

Bob
Old 21st April 2008
Gear Addict

I've had great luck with:

Atlas Pro Audio for the high end stuff

8th Street music and Full Compass for the everyday type stuff.

These two companies advertise the lowest price allowed by the manufacturer, but many items, if you request a quote from a salesperson via phone or email, is many times lower than anywhere else.

I saved (literally) hundreds on a pair of Event ASP8s (not b stock... all NEW) from 8th Street Music.

Saved $150 on an HHB CD burner from Full Compass.

Go to the Full Compass website and look at prices on Pro Co insert snakes. Absolutely the LOWEST anywhere! It is weird though, the prices are messed up in the buyers favor. For example:

12 ch Insert snake 10' is $166.34,
12 ch Insert snake 25' is $146.49

Go Figure?
-Neil
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMF View Post
Hi, Steve (Sqeegybug).

My name's Bob, and I work for Musician's Friend. What you experienced as "chaos" in our new warehouse [re: your earlier post in March] was, unfortunately, the situation we and quite a few our customers experienced during the transition period.

...we’ve put together a team of resolution agents with the experience and clout to quickly resolve issues like the one you had. You can contact them via email at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Let them know of any outstanding issues you may still have.

...end up paying more for it somewhere else because you didn’t have the confidence that we could deliver.

Bob
Thanks Bob for your reply. As I mentioned, I have been a long time MF customer. Glad to see you getting directly involved with customer issues. Wish it had been in place when those hassles were happening.

And price was not even the biggest concern, I couldn't get the thing no matter how much money I waved at you.

Music123 did a similar thing when they 'reorganized' their warehouse a couple of years ago. I haven't shopped there since.

So.... you want to fix this? Send the right 8-space case to me. If it is indeed the right one I will pay you the original price for it and be happy. And I'll post that good result here. If it's not the right one I will throw it in the trash, and will post that result.

Sorry, but your statements of good intentions alone do not give me the confidence to place another order and take the chance of going through all that again. I've done way more than my part -- if you want to reestablish customer trust then the *action* now is up to you.

Steve
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search