The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much f**king sounds and gear do we really need??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How much f**king sounds and gear do we really need??

Long story short (I mean long story long.. haha), A LONG time ago I walked into a pro audio shop and asked the guy: "what do I need to make dance music?" - Ended up with cubase, a roland JV synth and a few other things.

Personality changed. Entered Gear Mode.
Spent an INSANE amount of money on gear.

Built up one of the few privately owned studios that looked like it was a fancy commercial studio (was probably better, haha).

Took a break for a couple of years, came back - and just looked at all the stuff that was bought.

A lot of the stuff that was bought made sense.. But the sheer amount of both cheaper and more expensive synths did NOT make any sense. Why would I need ALL novation synths when I barely used 2 of them? Why need 10 mics when I barely recorded vocals? Could go on and on...

The biggest fail in my mind was the Kore (NI) - Never used it and **** me I cant even give it away now.. Haha.

Was a wakeup call to take a break and come back and see the madness with fresh eyes. Sold off TONS. Got rid of A LOT of stuff. Now running a more minimal setup and feeling GOOD about it.

Having owned tons I feel there's a sickness to all this. We become so addicted to gear, thinking it will be something that will help us make our next hit and we just keep on buying and buying.. Instead of making sure we truly MASTER what gear we have.

I think that's one of the reasons so many are selling stuff second hand.. They are gear addicted. Tried one thing, wants the next..

Any thoughts? Anyone been in the same position where you had TONS of gear and then just realized you were addicted and got rid of stuff?

I LOVED the feeling of stepping in to my previous studio and gear was everywhere. Mentally, it gave me a nice feeling. But not using A LOT of that gear was just bad. I just love it when I hear someone is just using a handful of synths but can master those and do a great job on a limited set of tools
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just need one more thing. Just one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I did this in the beginning as well. It's easy to let GAS get the better of you. Live and learn. Now I've got a lean and mean, streamlined hardware setup.
Old 1 week ago
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
I think that's one of the reasons so many are selling stuff second hand.. They are gear addicted. Tried one thing, wants the next..
It's the fun of exploring new sounds that gets me excited about gear. As for selling, I often can't be bothered providing the time and effort to move gear that is not so great or valuable.

edit - I find I have reached a point where overlap in sonic capabilities limits my interest in a lot of new gear.

Quote:
Anyone been in the same position where you had TONS of gear and then just realized you were addicted and got rid of stuff?
I've done the first part.

Quote:
I LOVED the feeling of stepping in to my previous studio and gear was everywhere. Mentally, it gave me a nice feeling. But not using A LOT of that gear was just bad. I just love it when I hear someone is just using a handful of synths but can master those and do a great job on a limited set of tools
I loved that feeling, when I had a lot of time. Getting older, having less energy and more obligations, the feeling is not so fun to see the gear. The feeling is made worse by maintenance overhead.

I do love hearing what other people do with the same gear.

Last edited by Oli; 1 week ago at 09:14 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's the addition bra!
Someone on here said it well - the highness which comes from buying new gear - opening the box with a big smile on your face - playing with it for a while - then you go to sleep and the high is over- ya need that fix again

I am a recovered addict I'm doing well - no more plans for gear - I have all I need
Old 1 week ago
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
I did this in the beginning as well. It's easy to let GAS get the better of you. Live and learn. Now I've got a lean and mean, streamlined hardware setup.
One friend went through this process, trialing and flipping all the most desirable gear that gets mentioned here. He ended up settling on software production, with a few compressors, interface and mixer. He said he was really glad to have gone through the process of elimination though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
He said he was really glad to have gone through the process of elimination though.
This^
Old 1 week ago
Its just a human condition and a damn site more interesting then sofas!
Have fun ,you'l be dead in the end and none of it will matter. If its giving you a negative vibe then well time to do something about it.Buy/sell or shift your mindset and keep everything!
The recent QnA with Orbital (and others) recently shows you don't need much gear to make classics tracks!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
The biggest fail in my mind was the Kore (NI) - Never used it and **** me I cant even give it away now.. Haha.
Kore was awesome

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
i always thought you can get away with appallingly little (for example just a tape recorder and a mic) and it's probably incredible what you can do with just that - that there ought to be some sort of 'law' proposed - that 'the amount of gear one has is inversely proportional to the creativity and volume of their output' ... of course not always true - but quite often can be ... i think there's a lot to be said for 'making do' with what you have. But that being said - i have FAR too much gear ... :P

my two cents
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Long story short (I mean long story long.. haha), A LONG time ago I walked into a pro audio shop and asked the guy: "what do I need to make dance music?" - Ended up with cubase, a roland JV synth and a few other things.

Personality changed. Entered Gear Mode.
Spent an INSANE amount of money on gear.
That's because buying gear is easier than learning stuff and you can still kid yourself into thinking you did something useful.

Quote:
Was a wakeup call to take a break and come back and see the madness with fresh eyes. Sold off TONS. Got rid of A LOT of stuff. Now running a more minimal setup and feeling GOOD about it.
Good.

Quote:
Any thoughts?
To get to your actual question: "How much f**king sounds and gear do we really need??"

As much as you can hold in your head at the same time.

Quote:
Anyone been in the same position where you had TONS of gear and then just realized you were addicted and got rid of stuff?
At a certain point I had synths stacked to the wall because I didn't have the I/O to hook them up or the stands to support them.

At another point, I visited an absolute dream synth studio that had everything you ever wanted hooked up and playable on the wall.

The first told me that hoarding wasn't making me happier. The second told me that even if I could've (the "lottery winner" scenario), it would've probably driven me completely mad.

Quote:
Every time this thread pops up people are (again) the first to point out the difference in gear and stop there.

Few acknowledge the difference in life itself. Of course I was more productive back when I had only 2 synths. I also didn't have a house, wife, kids, or a full-time job.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having owned tons I feel there's a sickness to all this. We become so addicted to gear, thinking it will be something that will help us make our next hit and we just keep on buying and buying.. Instead of making sure we truly MASTER what gear we have.

Any thoughts? Anyone been in the same position where you had TONS of gear and then just realized you were addicted and got rid of stuff?

Had a ton as well (literally when you add up the weights of the CS-80, DX-1, Fairlight, B-3, Mellotron, tape machines, console, etc).

External circumstances caused a reduction over the years and now in a smaller space with less stuff, I find it more fun and faster to get something done. Previously, I'd sit there and think - what to use for a string sound? The OB-8, MemoryMoog, Solina, maybe the JP-8, hmmm. Then when I finally got around to trying to do something, inevitably the gear I wanted to use was - out of tune, broken in some way, or not wired up. Then I'd spend time doing maintenance/wiring/soldering and pretty soon it was 2am with nothing accomplished.

Here's my cure when GAS gets overwhelming -- grab a copy (cd/mp3/YouTube) of Kraftwerk's Radioactivity album, sit down with headphones, and spend 40 minutes listening to it at a slightly louder volume than normal so it has my full attention. After a few minutes, you realize there's like 6 different sounds on the whole album and the compositions are not crazily complex runs of notes, but the assembly of notes, voice, and arrangements grab my attention the whole time.

At that point, I shut down the eBay and Reverb browser tabs and work on composition.

Unfortunately, buying gear to get a new sound is easier and initially more rewarding than working all afternoon on a bassline, but the gear purchases only take you so far.
Old 1 week ago
I've had loads of Synths over the years, actually did list a couple of years ago and there was nearly a 100 on it...would be well over it now...Having looked at how much I spent over the years was sobering, but at least it wasn't pissed up the wall. I tried to reduce the amount of gear I had at one time not long ago, got down to about 8 Synths from 20...didn't last long, now up to 19, with 5 of them being Dave Smith stuff...Of course, I make/sell patches, so that's my excuse, but some of them, like the mono's don't get turned on and I really don't need them.

I think it goes back to growing up in the 80's and seeing the Mega Bands with massive keyboard rigs, while I had my Roland D10 and an Atari STE and lusting after a Sampler which was 4 figures back in the late 80's...Which is a funny thing, as I just recently bought an EMU ESI 4000 Turbo Sampler with maxed out RAM for £35...Bizarre.

yes, it's an addiction and how it was described about getting the 'High' is quite correct I think. End of the day, I don't have any other hobbies, not harming anyone, but myself maybe...Don't drink, don't smoke, not into Cars or Fashion (too old) so can't see an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is a solution.

Only buy gear that is underpriced. When you need money, sell it for more than you paid. With music gear there are tons of great deals if you keep your eye open.

And selling gear for the going rate just takes some extra time. Eventually it will sell. It's like keeping money in the bank.

Can't buy new though. Gotta buy used, and only really good deals.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

one of the most common themes/thread discussions on this board..
Old 1 week ago
I can/could manage with just my Roland FA-06 ...BUT it's nice to have other stuff too!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
There is a solution.

Only buy gear that is underpriced. When you need money, sell it for more than you paid. With music gear there are tons of great deals if you keep your eye open.

And selling gear for the going rate just takes some extra time. Eventually it will sell. It's like keeping money in the bank.

You can still buy new gear, but balance the potential resale loss against the gains from buying under-priced used gear.

I know, I missed my calling as an accountant
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My personal method for dealing with GAS is to wait. To wait 3 months, 6 months, sometimes longer.

Time imo has a way of putting motives to the test, and making clearer what would be a truly beneficial or needed gear addition, as compared to a simple emotional envy or a reason to procrastinate doing actual music.

This (along with money/space constraints) has really helped me to keep my "studio" lean and sparse.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a solution.

Exception to the rule is the Ju-06. Current resale is twice what I paid for it just over a year ago.

Coming back to the OP, in pre-DAW times, two S950s, a Lexicon and a Quadraverb used to be enough for me. Made me think more about dynamics and space rather than notes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
one of the most common themes/thread discussions on this board..
Yes. And this is a clear sign that for most of us gear acquisition is also very often if not always frayed with doubt, tension, culpability, and pressure.

All said, I believe this is a healthy sign.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

After years of intense and brutal therapy I've sorted out my identity issues, gender issues, body dysmorphia and now the only one left is GAS, crippling GAS and gear-envy.

Limiting my interactions with certain topics and threads for the past few days seems to be helping. It's very hard to appreciate what you have when you see others with so much more, but that's what I'm aiming to do.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I am seriously thinking of replacing most of my gear with an FA-06 - or is that just GAS talking?

The high should come from the using, not the getting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It's very hard to appreciate what you have when you see others with so much more
It’s not what you have or spend, it’s the talent. Controller apart, this is a £1.2K setup:

Roland Boutique JU06
Roland Boutique JX03
Roland Boutique JP08

2 x Zoom MS-70CDR

Behringer Xenyx 1204
Zoom 2-track

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't blame anyone for feeling this way, it's totally real. But it's easier when a) you have a limited budget and b) you have done it for long enough you know that there are nice things out there which, although you'd like, you know will not make your music better. That really narrows it down. When I buy something these days I've usually been ogling/saving for it for at least a year or two.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. The reality of Ebay fees has hit me recently though. It used to be possible to buy something to try and sell it for a similar amount without much of a loss. At 10% or more with Paypal fees it's a big chunk with an expensive item. And with proper courier insurance fees added onto the selling price it's even worse. That has made me realise that many items I have bought can't have been covered properly.
Old 1 week ago
I have Kore too....m'fkrs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Some gear is just great to look at, aesthetically pleasing.There are certain guitars that fall in to that category (for me)

"Option Paralysis" on the other hand, well thats a negative we don't need.

Just saw a documentary on Eric Clapton and in it he refers to the sale of his collection of guitars (raised money for his addiction clinic)
He said…Life is better when its simpler.

Claptons guitars were in storage..so no aesthetic pleasure there.
Its all good..keep a healthy mind and make some music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnud View Post
I am seriously thinking of replacing most of my gear with an FA-06 - or is that just GAS talking?
No, don't do that. Get one to control your other gear, but not replace it. I have one song recorded using only the FA-06 and it shows. I get much better results by adding in other synths controlled by the sequencer (which BTW is awesome).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The same reason people buy fast cars that you'll rarely if ever be able to take advantage of.

If it makes you feel good then sure, whatever makes you happy, I've never had good luck telling people how to spend their money.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a solution.

Yes but then you have to spend time looking for deals. That takes away from spending the time making music with what you have. This "deal approach" might be a solution but it does have a cost.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search