The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm Very, Very Serious. Seriously.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Gearslutz does not allow you to double-space after a period.
By "double space" I meant hitting return-return, not space-space.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Now, if I had said this, someone would accuse me of doing a sly Yoko Ono impersonation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Now, if I had said this, someone would accuse me of doing a sly Yoko Ono impersonation.
"Whoosh" is the sound a Joel Patterson post makes when it sails right over my head.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think this thread shows, there's no greater reservoir of anal retention, of equal fecundity, as annoyances over punctuation.

The famous 'punctuation saves lives' thing:
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
"Whoosh" is the sound a Joel Patterson post makes when it sails right over my head.
Um, the indefensible, preposterous idea is that foreigners speak essentially a pidgin English, repeating words for emphasis, simple-minded as they are.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um, the indefensible, preposterous idea is that foreigners speak essentially a pidgin English, repeating words for emphasis, simple-minded as they are.
When I speak to pidgin-English-speaking foreigners, I find it effective not only to repeat myself, but to get louder while doing so.

"No pickle. NO PICKLE. NO PICKLE!!!"
Old 1 week ago
Alternately, you could resort to the international symbol for "no pickle."
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Very, Very Serious.  Seriously.-pickle-no.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm having that printed on business cards. 500 for $11.95 on coated stock. I eat fast food about twice a year, so they should last me until I'm 313.
Old 1 week ago
If you eat your grandma, you won't get any more chocolate chip cookies.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Gearslutz does not allow you to double-space after a period. I just did it there << and after this sentence I will try a triple-space. That's a triple space I just made before this sentence. Just now I hit the spacebar four times.

The only way you could double space after a sentence is to insert an extra period and make it white. . Like that. Too much work. I still hit the extra spacebar about half the time, but most applications just take it away without even asking you.

I never considered it "meant" anything other than whether the person learned to touch-type in Typing Class during the 50's, 60's or 70's. Printers and people who do graphic layout hate it, but a typewriter has the same width for every character, so it helps the eye to see a sentence from a clause.
A double-space after every period is THE standard format for typing. I taught myself to touch type without knowing that rather crucial fact and had to re-learn to use two spaces when I got into a formal typing class. It drove me nuts. (I've owned an electric typewriter since I was 14. For a while I worked as professional typist for a private detective firm and some others.)

Flash forward 20 odd years later to the mid-80s and the conventions of 'electronic typing' were just forming. You had all these trained typists on the one hand using double spaces. But on the other hand, you had cyber-types and geeks, many of whom couldn't understand the logic of it. All but the most expensive early printers were monospace, so the double space after periods (full-stops) still made sense to the traditionalists.

But when variable letter spacing started migrating to printers and then to our graphic displays (in the late 80s, MS-DOS machines still did everything in text mode unless the app itself supplied a graphical mode, so it was monospace on the screen, as well); after the introduction automated variable spacing, even traditionalists could see that it made sense to just use one space and let the software do the 'proper' spacing.

When the WWW started taking over the Internet in the early-mid 90s, the display protocols were set to ignore all but the first of multiple spaces -- and that is still the underlying display convention of the root HTML standard.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
When I speak to pidgin-English-speaking foreigners, I find it effective not only to repeat myself, but to get louder while doing so.

"No pickle. NO PICKLE. NO PICKLE!!!"
He tried drawing it once and the girl behind the counter dissolved into helpless giggles...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alternately, you could resort to the international symbol for "no pickle."
I always though that symbol was something to do with avoiding sexually transmitted disease.....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I sent a group of students out with a portable to do interviews on the subject of the school's cafeteria food.

We listened back to the tape for editing. One of the tables was full of exchange students and they were asked whether they thought the food was good or not. They all had accents, but from different countries. One person at the table remained silent. One of the others said: "oh, he doesn't speak English, I will translate for you"

then he leaned over to the kid and very loudly said (in English)

"THE FOOD HERE!!!!... IS GOOD???!!... YOU LIKE???"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I sent a group of students out with a portable to do interviews on the subject of the school's cafeteria food.

We listened back to the tape for editing. One of the tables was full of exchange students and they were asked whether they thought the food was good or not. They all had accents, but from different countries. One person at the table remained silent. One of the others said: "oh, he doesn't speak English, I will translate for you"

then he leaned over to the kid and very loudly said (in English)

"THE FOOD HERE!!!!... IS GOOD???!!... YOU LIKE???"

He knew how he was supposed to talk to a newcomer!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I thought 'double spaced' referred to - a full blank line between each typed line.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
If you eat your grandma, you won't get any more chocolate chip cookies.
Or you might get more.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I think this thread shows, there's no greater reservoir of anal retention, of equal fecundity, as annoyances over punctuation.

The famous 'punctuation saves lives' thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Or you might get more.
True.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Or you might get more.

Hannibal: "Nana, I warned you...stop hoarding the Chips Ahoy! I'm afraid fava beans and a nice Chianti is now in order."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
True.

Holy shiit-ake mushrooms...those girls seriously rock!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
True.

#1 - i am moving to Iceland

#2 - john cage on mushrooms

#3 - that hair, are they twins

#4 - same as #1

thx for sharing that .. i feel better about some of the things i write !!!

what is this thread about !!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search