The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drums may be the wrong hobby for me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Drums may be the wrong hobby for me

it has been a while since i posted on GS. mostly due to this problem i seem to be having.

Apparently, i have a severe lack of coordination, an inability to read sheet music, or tab. not sure what of my many mental disorders may be the biggest contributor, but i also have some really harsh performance anxiety. i can't even play in front of myself without being nervous.

what i do have, is a pretty good E-drum kit, kind of a Frankindrum, and an eagerness to learn drums.

this probably belongs more in the drums forum, but i figured the issue may fit better here.

what is a nearly lost cause to do?

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bang them drums and have fun!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

is it even possible to get over harsh performance anxiety? i mean, i think if i can get past that, i won't be as worried about if i play like crap.

I have the usual Rx meds, but for some reason, when i am on the spot, i draw a complete blank.

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I should speak for a lot of people here when I tell you I am not qualified to speak to how a diagnosed condition involving anxiety and negativism interacts with a desire to play drums. There are a number of instrumentalists and performers who combine an extremely high level of skill with a comfortable level of ego, confidence and positivism, but I don't think that describes a majority of instrumentalists and singers. I love to play drums, but I do not have the quickness, coordination, and years of education to be a great drummer or reading percussionist. I wasn't ever dedicated enough to get the education, and the rest is heredity. I enjoy playing along with recorded music and playing with musicians of similar abilities. When it gets to a level where people are paying to hear me play drums, the anxiety goes up and sometimes the joy is not happening. The key word for me is "enjoy". Given your condition, I don't know how that translates. I've heard stories about paid performers in various arts who have so much performance anxiety they throw up before each performance. It is a complicated issue, and I have some sympathy for anyone who faces it with more internal weight on the negative side than fits in the normal range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

so in other words, "shut-up and play", and see if i can work through it.

i did go down to my hole in the basement and bang around a bit a few minutes ago. it was rough as my mixer stopped working for some reason, so i couldn't mix in any music. so basically i was just making noise for a bit.

perhaps the cup of coffee gave me the inspiration, or perhaps it was the fact that due to recently buying a full set of trigger-to-brain cables, i now have a full kit of options. kick-pad, hi-hat with working pedal, crash cymbal, snare, 3 toms, and an extra assignable pad that is currently unknown. perhaps i will see if i can find a suitable voice for it at some point.

i suppose that is progress, as i haven't even plugged in the drum kit for quite a while.

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.farmer View Post
so in other words, "shut-up and play", and see if i can work through it.

i did go down to my hole in the basement and bang around a bit a few minutes ago. it was rough as my mixer stopped working for some reason, so i couldn't mix in any music. so basically i was just making noise for a bit.

perhaps the cup of coffee gave me the inspiration, or perhaps it was the fact that due to recently buying a full set of trigger-to-brain cables, i now have a full kit of options. kick-pad, hi-hat with working pedal, crash cymbal, snare, 3 toms, and an extra assignable pad that is currently unknown. perhaps i will see if i can find a suitable voice for it at some point.

i suppose that is progress, as i haven't even plugged in the drum kit for quite a while.

~Travis
ahhh ... yeah, Electronic Drums .. things you have to turn on before you play .. i have a FrankenKit here but it is Acoustic Drums making it easy as they are Always On ..

NOTE: i would take a little bit of time and Tech / Tweak out your Gear so that when you do sit down the Right Brain can take over .. could be that the Left Brain is getting in your way of having a good time and progressing as a player, on what i think is a really Fun Instrument to play ..

not impposible .. i started playing drums with more vigor at 40 years of age ..

getting out some frustration can be part of the Fun of playing .. start simple, Palying Along with Rush can ruin anyone's Stepping up a notch at a time ..

i could be way off here to the kind of music you are playing along with stating Rush ..

may i ask are these Hard Pads or Mesh ?? the hard pads turned me off for a long time ..

cheers and Drums full of BEer .. john
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
ahhh ... yeah, Electronic Drums .. things you have to turn on before you play .. i have a FrankenKit here but it is Acoustic Drums making it easy as they are Always On ..
but with other ears to listen, acoustic raises the performance anxiaty a bit.

Quote:
NOTE: i would take a little bit of time and Tech / Tweak out your Gear so that when you do sit down the Right Brain can take over .. could be that the Left Brain is getting in your way of having a good time and progressing as a player, on what i think is a really Fun Instrument to play ..

not impposible .. i started playing drums with more vigor at 40 years of age ..

getting out some frustration can be part of the Fun of playing .. start simple, Palying Along with Rush can ruin anyone's Stepping up a notch at a time ..

i could be way off here to the kind of music you are playing along with stating Rush ..
just whatever song i am in the mood for at the time. usually something like Linkin Park.

Quote:
may i ask are these Hard Pads or Mesh ?? the hard pads turned me off for a long time ..

cheers and Drums full of BEer .. john
they are hard pads. i plan in the future to make my own mesh pads from a variety of plans off the internet.

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
but with other ears to listen, acoustic raises the performance anxiaty a bit.

just whatever song i am in the mood for at the time. usually something like Linkin Park.

they are hard pads. i plan in the future to make my own mesh pads from a variety of plans off the internet.

~Travis
sorry, maybe i wrote that wrong .. i am not saying to get a set of Tubs at all ... just saying thats what i have .. if i only had a 5 Gallon Home Depot Bucket i would hit it .. !!! so lets see how we can help you break this wall down ..

like i mentioned - make sure your gear is Tech'd out so that is not a Block to creativity, this way no one will hear you .. and keep it real simple .. 1,2,3,4 .. all the other stuff comes out later ..

do you have a drink now and then ?? might be time to grab a couple and just chill and listen to some music with Stick Only in hand .. sticks on Leg(s), Foot on Floor ..

and as far as being afraid to play By Yourself .. what makes you feel good and relaxed (and lets leave sex out of this as it is just hard to play during - the other person keeps getting in the way) .. something is relaxing !!!

I was just sitting down playing with a little groove i made in iMaschine on my ipad .. and i was playing super soft .. it is warm here and wanted to keep the windows open .. so not about bashing but just really trying to lock in the groove .. and it is easy to play loud .. hard to play soft and still be Groovy ..

10,000 hours of practice / playing, is not out of the ordinary .. it is a Physical Instrument .. and one that requires 4 limbs to work together and apart at the same time ..

you might just be hitting a Plateau .. the early ones are a bit of a rough patch but you just have to Keep Going .. Play Through it !!! but do NOT go over your head and try and play like Vinne Coluita, .. think more Ringo at first .. Great Groove and Tasty PLayer .. plays for the Song !!! not for the Solo ..

now all this said .. you might just Not Be A Drummer !!! or it might not be the right time to be trying to be a Drummer, and whats wrong with that !!! nothing at all ..

so Sunday, Sunday, Ba BA Ba Ba Ba BA BA ..

cheers john
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
sorry, maybe i wrote that wrong .. i am not saying to get a set of Tubs at all ... just saying thats what i have .. if i only had a 5 Gallon Home Depot Bucket i would hit it .. !!! so lets see how we can help you break this wall down ..

like i mentioned - make sure your gear is Tech'd out so that is not a Block to creativity, this way no one will hear you .. and keep it real simple .. 1,2,3,4 .. all the other stuff comes out later ..

do you have a drink now and then ?? might be time to grab a couple and just chill and listen to some music with Stick Only in hand .. sticks on Leg(s), Foot on Floor ..
i try to avoid drinking. the last time i drank, i got so drunk i thought i had friends. it was a real fiasco.
But seriously, i don't care for the taste of beer, wine, or liqure.

Quote:
and as far as being afraid to play By Yourself .. what makes you feel good and relaxed (and lets leave sex out of this as it is just hard to play during - the other person keeps getting in the way) .. something is relaxing !!!
riding my motorcycle on a lone back road, listening to music through my helmet. a little hard to play that way though. i guess good music that fits my mood at the time (almost anything from classical to heavy metal, again, depending on mood), and a good cup of coffee.

Quote:
I was just sitting down playing with a little groove i made in iMaschine on my ipad .. and i was playing super soft .. it is warm here and wanted to keep the windows open .. so not about bashing but just really trying to lock in the groove .. and it is easy to play loud .. hard to play soft and still be Groovy ..
i can understand that. my internal beat goes hay-wire when i try to play soft. too much thinking, i think.

Quote:
10,000 hours of practice / playing, is not out of the ordinary .. it is a Physical Instrument .. and one that requires 4 limbs to work together and apart at the same time ..

you might just be hitting a Plateau .. the early ones are a bit of a rough patch but you just have to Keep Going .. Play Through it !!! but do NOT go over your head and try and play like Vinne Coluita, .. think more Ringo at first .. Great Groove and Tasty PLayer .. plays for the Song !!! not for the Solo ..

now all this said .. you might just Not Be A Drummer !!! or it might not be the right time to be trying to be a Drummer, and whats wrong with that !!! nothing at all ..

so Sunday, Sunday, Ba BA Ba Ba Ba BA BA ..

cheers john
i think a big stem to the issue may be just that i am far to critical of what beat is in my head, vs what noise comes out of the headphones. my head is right full of beats and patterns, but then i try to play them, and get easily frustrated.

i will have to dive into the depths of my mind and see what i can find to help me relax.

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i try to avoid drinking. the last time i drank, i got so drunk i thought i had friends. it was a real fiasco.
But seriously, i don't care for the taste of beer, wine, or liqure.

riding my motorcycle on a lone back road, listening to music through my helmet. a little hard to play that way though. i guess good music that fits my mood at the time (almost anything from classical to heavy metal, again, depending on mood), and a good cup of coffee.

i can understand that. my internal beat goes hay-wire when i try to play soft. too much thinking, i think.

i think a big stem to the issue may be just that i am far to critical of what beat is in my head, vs what noise comes out of the headphones. my head is right full of beats and patterns, but then i try to play them, and get easily frustrated.

i will have to dive into the depths of my mind and see what i can find to help me relax.

~Travis
1) maybe Focus is a thing to work on .. you took the part about Tech'ing gear and Focused on the Drink part .. hmmm

2) bike ride .. sounds cool, and remember half (if not more) of playing music, is while you are doing something else - just feeling what you have on while on the bike )both hands on the handlebars though !!) .. so make a good cup of joe and hit the Pads !!!

3) and i am not saying to Play Soft at all, just saying it .. sorry we are not Sync'ing on some things .. no worries .. just sayin what i was doing today .. btw: you inspired Me to sit down and play today .. Thank you for that !!!

4) and you are thinking too much !!!! don't go farther into your head ... get the head out of the equation a bit and use your inside body groove, Feel it .. in your Core Being .. Your Heart .. your Balls !!! haha

one last thing to maybe help .. try with a favorite song, playing just the Hi-Hat, then the snare, then Kick, etc .. break it down a little more to the core elements of a groove .. sounds like you ARE a drummer my friend .. just need to take small steps and this will help with the frustration ..

the Plateaus while playing drums .. well, when you bust one loose / break through to a new plateau you will feel great .. at that point remember that the next one will not bne so hard to get to ..

cheers my friend .. have some fun !!!

john
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
i got so drunk i thought i had friends.
That is a truly funny line... is it original or are you quoting something?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That is a truly funny line... is it original or are you quoting something?
truly original

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like to sing. Pretty sure no one likes hearing it. Used to freeze up at the thought of singing with others around. You can get all kinds of enjoyment making mysic by yourself. You can get more yet bouncing it off other people.

I worked on what I was doing. I realized I had to do my best, record it, identify problems, and fix them, to avoid clearing rooms.

In short, I had to Dare To Suck, in order to get better.

I eased into background vox with vocallists in the studio. Humming at least an octave down below them. Over a couple years, of uncomfortable...well, it was work, actually, I can belt with anyone around. I just quit caring what they thought...in the narrow area of...embarrasment. I like doing it, if they don't, there's the door.

I DO still care about getting better. That takes a million hours of playing, assessing, then fixing SPECIFIC problems. I still suck. But it's no longer crippling. I can sing in public now.

I...decided...to make that happen...well, to at least try. 2-3 years later, it has.

Life is too short to let other people get in the way of healthy activites you like. Nobody,s getting away with my wallet, not easily, anyway...and therefore, nobody steals my play time, either.

I'm just not having it.

:-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Life is too short to let other people get in the way of healthy activites you like. Nobody,s getting away with my wallet, not easily, anyway...and therefore, nobody steals my play time, either.

I'm just not having it.
you know, i like that statement. i just have to convince myself that i can't let other people steal my play time either. it is inspiring, actually. if i wasn't exhausted from work, i would bang away at my drums right now

I find myself most creative early in the morning, perhaps tomorrow i will wake up early, get a good cup of coffee, and make some noise (in my headphones).

though later this afternoon i should figure out why my mixer wasn't working, so i can pipe in some music to bang around with in the morning.

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you know, i like that statement. i just have to convince myself that i can't let other people steal my play time either. it is inspiring, actually. if i wasn't exhausted from work, i would bang away at my drums right now

I find myself most creative early in the morning, perhaps tomorrow i will wake up early, get a good cup of coffee, and make some noise (in my headphones).

though later this afternoon i should figure out why my mixer wasn't working, so i can pipe in some music to bang around with in the morning.

~Travis
let us know if we can help suss out your mixer issues !!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

solved the mixer issue. turns out i had bumped the balanced line in selector, to unbalanced. simple fix, but i think it needed fresh eyes, brightened with coffee. :D

~Travis
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Keep playing the drums if it's something you enjoy. My philosophy is that simple, really. Why ever stop? I'll be playing my instruments my entire life. And it's not a black/white thing to me; if I don't feel inspired to play for a period, I won't, and I'll just go enjoy other things in life ... but it's not like I'm making a decision to stop once and for all. It's always there for me.

Drums are quite a complex thing, and it takes a ton of practice to get better ... but you can get better by just sitting down with them and having fun. And there's no pressure. After a year or so, you'll probably look back and think, Wow, when did I get this much better?

As far as performance anxiety goes, here are my tips: When you're on stage, you can try focusing on what you're doing and blocking out the crowd, but not in a way that's like, "Don't screw up. Don't screw up. Don't screw up." Try to put yourself outside of the situation. It's just you and your instrument, just like when you're playing in your basement; that's all. And if you enjoy playing your instrument on your own, just try to put yourself in the same space. I've heard one really big performer (someone who sells out arenas with his band -- someone who headlined Glastonbury this year) say that when he plays the piano on stage, he just imagines that he's back in his living room, practicing and having fun. When it comes down to it, that's really what it is: The person and the piano.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@travis.farmer start with an acoustic kit and a treated room and start at whatever playing level you are at. Join an online drum forum e.g. Drummerworld and start interacting. Listen to some greats regardless of genre/style.
Old 1 week ago
Get Cubase?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
solved the mixer issue. turns out i had bumped the balanced line in selector, to unbalanced. simple fix, but i think it needed fresh eyes, brightened with coffee. :D

~Travis
ahhh .. COffeee ... coffee coffee coffee .. !!! nice work
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

So if you can't read music or tab and want to, take lessons. Have someone show you how it works.

Also, it took me about 15 years to get the suck out of my playing. You just have to keep at it. Playing an instrument is the opposite of playing a video game. Video games start easy and get hard. Music starts hard and gets easy.

Gotta learn to let go. Read "Effortless Mastery"
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
is it even possible to get over harsh performance anxiety? i mean, i think if i can get past that, i won't be as worried about if i play like crap.

I have the usual Rx meds, but for some reason, when i am on the spot, i draw a complete blank.
I was put on beta-blockers for a while to lower my blood pressure. I had heard about them decades earlier from classical musicians who got them to relieve performance anxiety without a 'downer' drug that might impair their motor skills.

I don't know what I expected - I guess some kind of superhuman enhancement from being "cool under fire" or something. What I found when I did a gig on these pills was that "performance anxiety" is just the flip side of the RUSH you get from playing a gig! No anxiety, no rush. Playing the drums at a show was suddenly about as exciting as pulling weeds in the garden. I didn't play any better - no worse but no better - and where was the fun?

Performing in front of people is a little like skydiving or motorcycle racing. You are taking a risk. That's part of the rush. The risk for playing live music is not Actual Death, but if you humiliate yourself in front of other people, it is a form of Ego-Death. There are plenty of people who have no trouble jumping out of an airplane at 13,000 feet, who do not have the nerve to perform on stage. Everyone draws their own lines.

So glad to get off those meds! IMO, the best cure for any anxiety is to be really good at whatever it is you are doing. Packing your parachute or playing paradiddles. Just keep practicing your ass off, and soon enough you will be so good that even your bad days will sound great to the audience.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Being bad at packing your parachute could have far worse consequences than being bad at drumming.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Being bad at packing your parachute could have far worse consequences than being bad at drumming.
Of course, but fear is not Reasonable, Logical, or Consistent across the population. There are paratroopers who are ready to jump out of an airplane and into armed combat - yet some of them might get the sweats at the mere thought of (for example) Public Speaking.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

~Travis
Maybe not this time, but always remember...DAWs do weird ****, just because. If in doubt, reboot FIRST.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
yet some of them might get the sweats at the mere thought of (for example) Public Speaking.
Some of the worst moments of my youth.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Maybe not this time, but always remember...DAWs do weird ****, just because. If in doubt, reboot FIRST.
i have seen that. one time the drivers for my interface work, the next they don't, just as an example.

~Travis
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have seen that. one time the drivers for my interface work, the next they don't, just as an example.

~Travis
My Now Time Marker just...disappears.

I go to save a file sequentially into a full folder, which now is visibly "empty."

An unmuted channel which should be passing audio, isn't, until I mute it, and unmute it again. Voila! Le Signal!

Clicking on a specific button opens the softsynth interface, till it doesn't. Reboot resolves.

Panning pans the signal, till it doesn't.

Changing a significant signal path puts tracks out of alignment, which is resolved by stopping and restarting playback. Till it isn't.

Audible signals read zero on meters, and clip indicators go red for five seconds on single closed hat strikes...till whickever demons responsible, get tired of jacking with me and go haunt somebody else.

Pretty sure we're up against generations of buggy code, layers on layers. Or the NSA. Probably both.

I usually push back till I'm cranked off, take a break for a reboot, find greener grass doing sonething else for awhile, and come back fresh, to a clean machine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search