The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Half a million bucks for speakers!......give me a break!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Half a million bucks for speakers!......give me a break!

Okay, I get the status symbol deal and the whole concept "if you have the money, why not" ,but this is insane!

I am having coffee and watching How It's Made and they are doing a bit on Omni directional speakers so I followed up doing some research. Anyhow, I discovered that the featured models retail for about 250K A PIECE!!!

All I can say is...give me a break.

http://www.mbl-northamerica.com/

fb
Old 4 days ago
People will pay for awesomeness in sound. I would too if I had that kind of money. They sure look like awesome beasts and I would love to hear them.

As for now I'm sure the rich and famous are enjoying them.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

As we all know, the more expensive something is, the better it is.
This is always true, especially in audio.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
People will pay for awesomeness in sound. I would too if I had that kind of money. They sure look like awesome beasts and I would love to hear them.

As for now I'm sure the rich and famous are enjoying them.
Seriously though, don't you think there is a point of diminishing returns, ESPECIALLY with audio gear? I suppose if you had a purpose built listening room AND it was as close to perfect as you can get, that maybe these might sound really good, but seriously it just seems like a waste in a general sense.

fb
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Ha ha, lots of experienced folks around here would disagree with THAT statement.

fb
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If I had enough disposable cash, I'd have no problem spending that much on speakers.
Providing the performance justified the price of course.
The most expensive speakers I have heard were 150K, and they sure sounded like it!

The other issue is splurging on amplification and accessories. Also very expensive when you go super high end.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
The most expensive speakers I have heard were 150K, and they sure sounded like it!

I am curious....what model were they and what was the listening environment like?

fb
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
I am curious....what model were they and what was the listening environment like?

fb
They were Whatmough Paragons. (Australian made)
I heard them in the main Whatmough showroom, which I think had basic treatment. It also has a lot of thick velvet drapes, so there's not many reflections.
I heard a live jazz recording, and it was about as close as you can get to actually being there.

Another highly regarded brand are Wilsons, which also sell for a pretty penny.
Never heard them, but they are supposed to sound jaw dropping.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...orlds-ugliest/
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

A good friend had a pair of speakers and amplifiers (run off batteries) that cost him $250,000 for the pair. His listening room was acoustically very bad so I never got a chance to hear the speakers do their "thing" I think with my friend it was all about showing off his system to others. The rest of his system was equally as expensive. If only he had spent SOME money on the room it would probably have been worth it. FWIW
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
A good friend had a pair of speakers and amplifiers (run off batteries) that cost him $250,000 for the pair. His listening room was acoustically very bad so I never got a chance to hear the speakers do their "thing" I think with my friend it was all about showing off his system to others. The rest of his system was equally as expensive. If only he had spent SOME money on the room it would probably have been worth it. FWIW
A quarter mil on the equipment, but no money into the room.

SHEER. FVCKING. BILLIANCE.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

Yes, some people like to show off their equipment more than have it function correctly in a properly designed room. That is why they are called "audiofools" instead of audiophiles. FWIW.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

A friend of one of my kids' friends is an NBA player. He has a house in Brentwood around the corner from where OJ lived. He's only ever there in the summer. It's got something like 6000 square feet, 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. It's got furniture in one bedroom and the man cave and that's pretty much it -- I'm not sure he's ever been in the rest of it.

A guy like that is the target market.
Old 3 days ago
As technology continues to evolve the price will come down and the quality of the same technology will be available on less expensive products.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As technology continues to evolve the price will come down and the quality of the same technology will be available on less expensive products.
Cool, so eventually this great technology will only cost us 200K.

I still don't get it. It just seems like "audiophilia hysteria"....which of course is latin for bat $hit crazy. I suppose if I could actually hear 500k worth of speakers in a VERY well treated space, I might have more appreciation, but at this point I don't get it.

Oh well.

fb
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A friend of one of my kids' friends is an NBA player. He has a house in Brentwood around the corner from where OJ lived. He's only ever there in the summer. It's got something like 6000 square feet, 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. It's got furniture in one bedroom and the man cave and that's pretty much it -- I'm not sure he's ever been in the rest of it.

A guy like that is the target market.

I am sure you are correct. To me however, it just seems like such a waste, morally speaking. Yea, I know, it is soap box time. Who knows, maybe if I was that rich I would do the same. However, I always wanted to be rich in order to be a bit more philanthropic. I am not saying that really rich folks aren't doing their share, but on the surface, spending half a mil on speakers seems like over kill.

fb
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Cool, so eventually this great technology will only cost us 200K.

I still don't get it. It just seems like "audiophilia hysteria"....which of course is latin for bat $hit crazy. I suppose if I could actually hear 500k worth of speakers in a VERY well treated space, I might have more appreciation, but at this point I don't get it.

Oh well.

fb
It's a similar concept to luxury cars. Consider the price of the Maserati Ghibli or a Ferrari. To most, the price would definitely be ridiculous, but you don't need to pay that much for a good car and still be able to enjoy it. Those that have the money will certainly pay those prices and enjoy the extra holy cow factor.

Attached Thumbnails
Half a million bucks for speakers!......give me a break!-ferrari1.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a similar concept to luxury cars. Consider the price of the Maserati Ghibli or a Ferrari. To most, the price would definitely be ridiculous, but you don't need to pay that much for a good car and still be able to enjoy it. Those that have the money will certainly pay those prices and enjoy the extra holy cow factor.
I get it, but to me it just seems that the proportional difference is what is staggering. My Honda cost 20k and the car you mentioned is roughly 7.5 times more expensive AND it is a vehicle that can actually serve a REAL function. And one could argue that it is indeed 7.5 times better and that would seem like a reasonable claim.

Now, I have a set of Sceptre S6 and a T10 sub...total cost about $1200. The 500k speakers are about 420 times more expensive. Sorry, but I love listening to music but I will NEVER be convinced that any speaker will sound 420 times better than mine. It just seems unreasonable and quite frankly hard to realistically measure.

fb
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get it, but to me it just seems that the proportional difference is what is staggering. My Honda cost 20k and the car you mentioned is roughly 7.5 times more expensive AND it is a vehicle that can actually serve a REAL function. And one could argue that it is indeed 7.5 times better and that would seem like a reasonable claim.

Now, I have a set of Sceptre S6 and a T10 sub...total cost about $1200. The 500k speakers are about 420 times more expensive. Sorry, but I love listening to music but I will NEVER be convinced that any speaker will sound 420 times better than mine. It just seems unreasonable and quite frankly hard to realistically measure.

fb
500K for speakers is pretty excessive, and I'd like to know how the manufacturers justify that price.
Like you mentioned before, the law of diminishing returns certainly applies to audio. 100 times the price isn't 100 times better sounding.
But having heard some amazing sound systems, I can fully understand why some people throw crazy money into owning them, especially if music is their number one passion.
I'd recommend seeking out a local high end audio store and having a listen.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I remember once my dad spent $4,000 for one of the first VCRs. The price will come down.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrNOq41LGjs

Video from how its made TV show about these MBL speakers. You'll wonder about the price even more after watching this.

Don't miss Part Deux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5EMrFsT7V4

10 minutes of video total.

And no, this isn't like the expensive early adopter VCR. These have been around more than 25 years, have always been very expensive, and the price has escalated rapidly over the last decade.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

I bet if you drove over there right now, with the cash, they would say they will build you a pair. Leave the cash. This is pretty much the business model for similar items such as tricked out private planes and yachts.

The first purpose of the insanely high priced product is to make the merely absurdly high-priced products look "reasonable". You have the 'peace of mind' of knowing you are buying from such a high-end company, even if it is not the super deluxe model

and of course if anyone is crazy and rich enough to order the speakers they will build them. Just like the yacht. I doubt there is a warehouse somewhere with a lot of inventory waiting to be sold.

You or I could set up in this kind of business, all it takes is a certain kind of "yacht salesman" personality. The profit margin is so high, that I don't need to even have any materials, shipyard or employees. I put up a nice Revit 'artists rendering' of my yacht and a bonkers price tag. If a buyer comes through with the dough, I will go out and contract some top guys to build the yacht, and still have a massive profit.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maseratis are 'a dime a dozen'. It seems every 'Housewife from New Jersey' drives one.

Now, the Rimac Concept One is a true 'exotic' automobile. I'm still waiting to see one outside the showroom.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

My friend with the $250,000 speakers recently bought a whole island in Canada. His house is the only house on the island and he had to have a dock built, a power generating station built and a water purification station built. He is only on the island in the summers and spends his winters in the American Southwest. He sold off all of his stereo equipment before moving to Canada. I guess there are people with a lot of money who can basically do what they want when they want. Not in my world.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

How about their web?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I bet if you drove over there right now, with the cash, they would say they will build you a pair. Leave the cash. This is pretty much the business model for similar items such as tricked out private planes and yachts.

The first purpose of the insanely high priced product is to make the merely absurdly high-priced products look "reasonable". You have the 'peace of mind' of knowing you are buying from such a high-end company, even if it is not the super deluxe model

and of course if anyone is crazy and rich enough to order the speakers they will build them. Just like the yacht. I doubt there is a warehouse somewhere with a lot of inventory waiting to be sold.

You or I could set up in this kind of business, all it takes is a certain kind of "yacht salesman" personality. The profit margin is so high, that I don't need to even have any materials, shipyard or employees. I put up a nice Revit 'artists rendering' of my yacht and a bonkers price tag. If a buyer comes through with the dough, I will go out and contract some top guys to build the yacht, and still have a massive profit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same business model "executive producers" use in the movie industry?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
My friend with the $250,000 speakers recently bought a whole island in Canada. His house is the only house on the island and he had to have a dock built, a power generating station built and a water purification station built. He is only on the island in the summers and spends his winters in the American Southwest. He sold off all of his stereo equipment before moving to Canada. I guess there are people with a lot of money who can basically do what they want when they want. Not in my world.
Sounds like you have some awesome friends!

fb
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Now, the Rimac Concept One is a true 'exotic' automobile. I'm still waiting to see one outside the showroom.
Considering they've only sold 8 worldwide, I'm not surprised you haven't seen one on the street.

I think Richard Hammond may have destroyed number 9.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Maseratis are 'a dime a dozen'. It seems every 'Housewife from New Jersey' drives one.

That's a Koenigsegg CCX.
Old 1 hour ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Not only that, it's a linear function, so it's easy to calculate.

I calculate these speakers will be precisely 1,666.6666[...] times better than my Event 20/20bas (based on my speaker's current resale value).

They must sound awesome.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search